Page 166 of 305 FirstFirst ... 66116156161162163164165166167168169170171176216266 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,320 of 6094
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Can you please try the latest Preware 0.9.5 installer which was uploaded a couple of hours ago?

-- Rod
    Yes, but before that an observation that might help diagnose, about the results of running that manual command you asked me to do:

/usr/bin/luna-send -t 1000 luna://com.palm.appinstaller/installNoVerify {"subscribe":true,"target":"/media/internal/developer/org.webosinternals.preware.ipk"}

The first time I ran it (and got Preware to run) it stopped at token 575. And I now realize, although it sat there with no change for quite a while as I was typing up a posting here, the command had not terminated - no command prompt had appeared before I closed Novaterm.

Second time I tried the manual command (reported upthread) it stopped at token 101, no command prompt, Preware didn't work.

Tried a third time, got to token 165 or so, no command prompt, Preware didn't work.

Just tried again, got to token 1002, then a couple output lines giving total time, number of iterations (1000) and total bytes sent. And a command prompt. I think this is the first time that command actually finished properly - something's going wrong or interfering with it. That said, Preware still didn't run after this apparently successful command termination.

After those experiments, I ran the 0.9.5 exe installer as you asked. It seemed to run normally, ending with a dialog something like "the program should appear on your device". I preemptively rebooted the phone, tried Preware, and got "service not running".

Ran the manual command, hung at token 247. Ran it again, stalled at 392. Again, stalled at 168.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    Yes, but before that an observation that might help diagnose, about the results of running that manual command you asked me to do:
    The new stand-alone installer for 0.9.5 doesn't use that command any more. It calls ipkg directly.

If you use the 0.9.5 installer, and it doesn't work, what's the output from:

ls -l /etc/event.d/org.webosinternals.*

ls -l /usr/lib/luna/java/org.webosinternals.*

ps -efww | grep webosinternals

luna-send -n 1 luna://org.webosinternals.ipkgservice/status '{}'

-- Rod

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    The new stand-alone installer for 0.9.5 doesn't use that command any more. It calls ipkg directly.

If you use the 0.9.5 installer, and it doesn't work, what's the output from:
    I ran the 0.9.5 exe installer version, got what looked like a normal termination, and when I ran Preware, rapidly got the "service not running" dialog.

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1126 Nov 8 10:27 /etc/event.d/org.webosinternals.ipkgservice

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 57 Nov 8 10:27 /usr/lib/luna/java/org.webosinternals.ipkgservice.jar -> /var/usr/lib/luna/java/org.webosinternals.ipkgservice.jar

root 2154 1 5 10:27 ? 00:00:25 /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5-palm/bin/java -Xexact -m 10M -Djava.library.path=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5-palm/bin:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5-palm/jre/bin:/usr/lib -Dvm.boot.library.path-/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5-palm/jre/bin -bootclasspat

root 2466 2378 0 10:36 pts/3 00:00:00 grep webosinternals

After running those commands, tried Preware again (recognizing that all of those looked like diagnostic probes, not attempts to fix anything, but what the hey), and I'm getting a different response. Preware loads, and a white screen says "Loading Package Information", with a rotating busy indicator. It has been doing that for about 5 minutes now.
    Addendum:

ran that final status command again, while Preware was stuck on that white screen. This time I got:

** Message: sergiceResponse Handling: 2, {'serviceName": "org.webosinternal.ipkgservice", "returnValue":false, "errorCode":-1, "errorText":"org.webosinternal.ipkgservice is not running."}
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Help?

I have now tried downloading the WebOS Quickinstall twice on two different PC's and each time I get Error: "No Device Detected" even though my Pre is connected to the PC via USB mode.

What am I doing wrong? I've followed the directions, but maybe I missed something or I need a driver?

I'm working with XP at work where I tried this and now on my laptop using Vista.

Would love someone's help.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelsWin View Post
    Help?

I have now tried downloading the WebOS Quickinstall twice on two different PC's and each time I get Error: "No Device Detected" even though my Pre is connected to the PC via USB mode.

What am I doing wrong? I've followed the directions, but maybe I missed something or I need a driver?

I'm working with XP at work where I tried this and now on my laptop using Vista.

Is your device in developer mode?
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Help?

"Lastly, when you plug in the device, if you want to use WebOS Quick Install, choose the "Just Charge" option on the device."...from Jason's instructions here.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by punzada View Post
    Is your device in developer mode?
    How do I tell?

Sorry, I' m a N00b.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gc916 View Post
    "Lastly, when you plug in the device, if you want to use WebOS Quick Install, choose the "Just Charge" option on the device."...from Jason's instructions here.
    Ah, reading FAIL on my part.

Thanks, I'll try reinstalling and try again.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Ah, reading FAIL on my part.

Thanks, I'll try reinstalling and try again.
    Regarding your question about Developer Mode, the instructions I referenced in my earlier post explain that, as well. The first three posts in that thread contain really good instructions for using and troubleshooting WebOS Quick Install.

Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Regarding your question about Developer Mode, the instructions I referenced in my earlier post explain that, as well. The first three posts in that thread contain really good instructions for using and troubleshooting WebOS Quick Install.

Hope this helps.
    I just enabled the Dev mode which was lacking too.

You guys are some smart muthas. Thanks for all your help. I'm sure I'll be sending a donation soon.

I hear the new 1.3 version of the OS comes out tomorrow. Does installing any of these apps cause any concern for future Palm updates or?
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I just enabled the Dev mode which was lacking too.

You guys are some smart muthas. Thanks for all your help. I'm sure I'll be sending a donation soon.

I hear the new 1.3 version of the OS comes out tomorrow. Does installing any of these apps cause any concern for future Palm updates or?
    Rumor has it that 1.3.1 is expected sometime soon...don't know about tomorrow.

Homebrew apps should not conflict with OS updates. Patches, on the other hand, must be uninstalled from your Pre before updating the OS.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Rumor has it that 1.3.1 is expected sometime soon...don't know about tomorrow.

Homebrew apps should not conflict with OS updates. Patches, on the other hand, must be uninstalled from your Pre before updating the OS.
    Patches from any of these apps that I'm about to download that have been applied?
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    I ran the 0.9.5 exe installer version, got what looked like a normal termination, and when I ran Preware, rapidly got the "service not running" dialog.

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1126 Nov 8 10:27 /etc/event.d/org.webosinternals.ipkgservice

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 57 Nov 8 10:27 /usr/lib/luna/java/org.webosinternals.ipkgservice.jar -> /var/usr/lib/luna/java/org.webosinternals.ipkgservice.jar

root 2154 1 5 10:27 ? 00:00:25 /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5-palm/bin/java -Xexact -m 10M -Djava.library.path=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5-palm/bin:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5-palm/jre/bin:/usr/lib -Dvm.boot.library.path-/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5-palm/jre/bin -bootclasspat

root 2466 2378 0 10:36 pts/3 00:00:00 grep webosinternals

After running those commands, tried Preware again (recognizing that all of those looked like diagnostic probes, not attempts to fix anything, but what the hey), and I'm getting a different response. Preware loads, and a white screen says "Loading Package Information", with a rotating busy indicator. It has been doing that for about 5 minutes now.
    That all looks correct. Can you post the output of:

ls -lR /var/usr/lib /var/etc/event.d

ls -lR /var/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.ipkgservice

ipkg -o /var list_installed | grep webosinternals

grep webosinternals /var/log/messages

(that last one should be done just after you've seen the service not running message)

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Patches from any of these apps that I'm about to download that have been applied?
    Every package in Preware has a Type field. You can see it in the detailed view for each package. Everything other than Types "Patch" and "Theme" are fine to keep installed across webOS OTA updates. "Patch" and "Theme" must be uninstalled before and reinstalled after (since they modify the things that Palm is updating).

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Every package in Preware has a Type field. You can see it in the detailed view for each package. Everything other than Types "Patch" and "Theme" are fine to keep installed across webOS OTA updates. "Patch" and "Theme" must be uninstalled before and reinstalled after (since they modify the things that Palm is updating).

-- Rod
    Got it. Thank you, Rod.
    OK, I've installed the package manager, and preware and I get an error that the package manager is not running. Im confused?
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny--2k View Post
    OK, I've installed the package manager, and preware and I get an error that the package manager is not running. Im confused?
    See Post #2862 in this thread.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    There is detailed information about the different packages here.
    Can anyone tell me why Filecoaster ane Preware are not loading? I keep getting an error message for Filecoaster, and preware just wont load.