Page 165 of 305 FirstFirst ... 65115155160161162163164165166167168169170175215265 ... LastLast
Results 3,281 to 3,300 of 6094
    So I followed the installation instructions given on the wiki page using WebOS Quick install but then when i go to run preware it says i haven't installed or aren't running the Package Manager Service. I really wanna be able to use preware so does anyone have any suggestions?

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling, resetting my pre and combinations of the two
    Quote Originally Posted by dnielsen View Post
    So I followed the installation instructions given on the wiki page using WebOS Quick install but then when i go to run preware it says i haven't installed or aren't running the Package Manager Service. I really wanna be able to use preware so does anyone have any suggestions?

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling, resetting my pre and combinations of the two
    Please try the stand-alone installers at Index of / - if those don't work, then please tell us the output of "ls -l /etc/event.d/org.webosinternals.ipkgservice".

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Please try the stand-alone installers at Index of / - if those don't work, then please tell us the output of "ls -l /etc/event.d/org.webosinternals.ipkgservice".

-- Rod
    I seem to be in the same boat as a bunch of other people. Tried installing Preware using WOSQI, got the dreaded "Package Manager Service is not running" dialog.

Just tried the javascript-based standalone installer (noticed that it's for Preware 0.9.4, but went ahead anyway) . After doing so, I get the same "service not running" dialog.

ls - l /etc/event.d/org.webosinternals.ipkgservce
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1126 Nov 7 6:30 /etc/event.d/org.webosinternals.ipkgservice

Later:

Uninstalled Package Service and Preware, rebooted phone, and tried the 0.94 .exe installer. This version chugs a while, then throws a dialog:

Installation of Preware has failed.

*** Please try again ***

If you continue to recieve errors post %temp%\Installer.log to forums.precentral.net

Looked at the log file; everything seems happy until:

11/7/2009 6:55:15 AM run file:///usr/bin/luna-send -t 1000 luna://com.palm.appinstaller/installNoVerify {"subscribe":true,"target":"/media/internal/developer/org.webosinternals.preware.ipk"}

11/7/2009 6:55:15 AM Sending command...
    11/7/2009 6:55:15 AM Checking for response...
    11/7/2009 6:55:15 AM Response has been read.
    11/7/2009 6:56:09 AM Installation Failed.

Can't seem to attach file while editing existing note. I'll add a new post with the full log file attached.
    Last edited by dwhitman; 11/07/2009 at 06:00 AM. Reason: tried exe installer
    Log file from failed install run attached. (changed extension to .txt to get it accepted.)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    About 0.9.5 and EU Pres, I can confirm that most apps and some patches do indeed work, but I CANNOT confirm the claims on the mainsite and here that only compatible patches and apps are displayed. I see all apps and patches - that is, I have no idea whether I do, but I know that some patches have started installing and then stopped, giving me an error message.

But yes, Preware has worked on my German O2 Pre sinceDay 1, and I'm thankful for it! Version woes will be a thing of the past anyway when Palm rolls out 1.3 in a week or so.
    I have to give you the biggest THANK YOU ever. I have been beating my head against the wall trying to get Preware installed with no success. I wrote down each and every step and followed them and gues what... it worked. Thanks for taking the time to help us "slow learners" get this installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    About 0.9.5 and EU Pres, I can confirm that most apps and some patches do indeed work, but I CANNOT confirm the claims on the mainsite and here that only compatible patches and apps are displayed. I see all apps and patches - that is, I have no idea whether I do, but I know that some patches have started installing and then stopped, giving me an error message.

But yes, Preware has worked on my German O2 Pre sinceDay 1, and I'm thankful for it! Version woes will be a thing of the past anyway when Palm rolls out 1.3 in a week or so.
    Do you have version 0.9.16 of the Package Manager Service installed?

Does your webos-patches feed URL in the Preware Feeds management page have "all" or "1.1.3" at the end of it?

Have you updated your feeds since updating the Package Manager Service?

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    I seem to be in the same boat as a bunch of other people. Tried installing Preware using WOSQI, got the dreaded "Package Manager Service is not running" dialog.

Just tried the javascript-based standalone installer (noticed that it's for Preware 0.9.4, but went ahead anyway) . After doing so, I get the same "service not running" dialog.

ls - l /etc/event.d/org.webosinternals.ipkgservce
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1126 Nov 7 6:30 /etc/event.d/org.webosinternals.ipkgservice

Later:

Uninstalled Package Service and Preware, rebooted phone, and tried the 0.94 .exe installer. This version chugs a while, then throws a dialog:

Installation of Preware has failed.

*** Please try again ***

If you continue to recieve errors post %temp%\Installer.log to forums.precentral.net

Looked at the log file; everything seems happy until:

11/7/2009 6:55:15 AM run file:///usr/bin/luna-send -t 1000 luna://com.palm.appinstaller/installNoVerify {"subscribe":true,"target":"/media/internal/developer/org.webosinternals.preware.ipk"}

11/7/2009 6:55:15 AM Sending command...
    11/7/2009 6:55:15 AM Checking for response...
    11/7/2009 6:55:15 AM Response has been read.
    11/7/2009 6:56:09 AM Installation Failed.

Can't seem to attach file while editing existing note. I'll add a new post with the full log file attached.
    Can you please run the

/usr/bin/luna-send -t 1000 luna://com.palm.appinstaller/installNoVerify {"subscribe":true,"target":"/media/internal/developer/org.webosinternals.preware.ipk"}

command from the Pre command line and post the result?

-- Rod
    I am trying to dowload preware but it is not listed in the list to install uner web os. How do I download it if web os quick install does not list the program?
    Quote Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
    I am trying to dowload preware but it is not listed in the list to install uner web os. How do I download it if web os quick install does not list the program?
    What is the exact URL of the instructions that you are following, and where exactly are you looking for it in WebOS Quick Install?

I don't know why people don't give that sort of information up front, instead of expecting us to be mind readers ... Preware works perfectly for 99.9% of people, but yet the people for which it doesn't work seem to think their problem is a common one so they don't have to explain it at all .... ;-)

-- Rod
    Hi, I'm trying to send an audio file, and I have even tried to send a video file but my phone keeps saying, "Your device is full. Delete files to clear space." All I did was go through a regular text message and hit the attach icon...try to add a song..hit send and get the error message....am I missing something? I have the audio/video patch, virtual keyboard patch, and multi mod patch through Preware... TIA!
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Ok, it looks like I am having issues with two feeds, Preyourmind and Prethemer. Any reason why? With either of these feeds enabled, I am stuck at the downloading feeds screen.

Edit: Seems to be a problem with those two feeds and my home network. It will update fine on EVDO, just has problems with my wireless network.
    Last edited by Twosted; 11/08/2009 at 02:05 AM.
  13. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    so i don't know if this has been addressed before (the thread is really long and i haven't gone through it) but is there a way to disable the back gesture while you are installing/removing a patch/theme/app.

It has happened two times that I accidentally did the back gesture during installing something and it was stopped prematurely.

For a patch, the result is that it is not installed and the partial install cannot be removed. Also, attempting to reinstall results in an error.

However, for a theme, it changed the majority of my image files, but it does not fully recognize the install and thus it wont let you remove and errors on any attempt to install another theme. I had to do WebOS Doctor to fix it.

It seems like disabling the back gesture would be somewhat simple. Is there something i'm missing? Preware is the best thing since sliced Pre, but I feel I would be less likely to cause problems if the back gesture was disabled during install/removal.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I have 1.2.1 updated pre and have been using preware with problem. This morning I selected preware and it goes through motions to load and eventually gives me following error message:

"OnFeeds Error
    Type Error: Cannot call method 'split' of undefined... Please advise...
    Can you please run the

/usr/bin/luna-send -t 1000 luna://com.palm.appinstaller/installNoVerify {"subscribe":true,"target":"/media/internal/developer/org.webosinternals.preware.ipk"}

command from the Pre command line and post the result?

-- Rod
    I'm not l33t enough to post the entire results; I'm running Novaterm and can't copy/paste or scroll back. Typed the command, and got many, many apparently identical lines of output (differing only exact time and token number) each of which looks like:

** Message: timingServiceResponse Got response: duration 4.79 ms, token 575, payload {"returnValue":false, "errorCode":""}

As near as I could tell as the output scrolled by, all the lines looked alike, no outliers with different response.

Bottom line though: after manually running that step, Preware seems to work fine. So what's going wrong with this step in the installers?

Later, the plot thickens. I ran Preware, and it tells me there are updates for both the Package Manager Service and Preware itself (remember, I last used the automatic installers, which were one version back). So I update the package manager service (Preware warns me it'll reboot the phone). I popped my phone in my pocket anticipating a long reboot, but can't confirm it actually did reboot. A while later I checked and , Preware wasn't working again, with that same "service not running dialog". I saw an icon for the package manager service in the launcher.

Rebooted the phone - package manager icon disappeared, but Preware says "service not running". Reran that manual step, and it starts out the same, the output looks the same, but the listing either stops or hangs after token 101, whereas it got up to 575 before.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    I'm not l33t enough to post the entire results; I'm running Novaterm and can't copy/paste or scroll back. Typed the command, and got many, many apparently identical lines of output (differing only exact time and token number) each of which looks like:

** Message: timingServiceResponse Got response: duration 4.79 ms, token 575, payload {"returnValue":false, "errorCode":""}

As near as I could tell as the output scrolled by, all the lines looked alike, no outliers with different response.

Bottom line though: after manually running that step, Preware seems to work fine. So what's going wrong with this step in the installers?

Later, the plot thickens. I ran Preware, and it tells me there are updates for both the Package Manager Service and Preware itself (remember, I last used the automatic installers, which were one version back). So I update the package manager service (Preware warns me it'll reboot the phone). I popped my phone in my pocket anticipating a long reboot, but can't confirm it actually did reboot. A while later I checked and , Preware wasn't working again, with that same "service not running dialog". I saw an icon for the package manager service in the launcher.

Rebooted the phone - package manager icon disappeared, but Preware says "service not running". Reran that manual step, and it starts out the same, the output looks the same, but the listing either stops or hangs after token 101, whereas it got up to 575 before.
    Can you please try the latest Preware 0.9.5 installer which was uploaded a couple of hours ago?

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by Twosted View Post
    Ok, it looks like I am having issues with two feeds, Preyourmind and Prethemer. Any reason why? With either of these feeds enabled, I am stuck at the downloading feeds screen.

Edit: Seems to be a problem with those two feeds and my home network. It will update fine on EVDO, just has problems with my wireless network.
    Yeah, I think I'm going to have to mirror the indexes of the feeds which are not hosted on preware.org, so that all the Packages files are coming from the same place for the default feeds in Preware.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by R_E View Post
    so i don't know if this has been addressed before (the thread is really long and i haven't gone through it) but is there a way to disable the back gesture while you are installing/removing a patch/theme/app.

It has happened two times that I accidentally did the back gesture during installing something and it was stopped prematurely.

For a patch, the result is that it is not installed and the partial install cannot be removed. Also, attempting to reinstall results in an error.

However, for a theme, it changed the majority of my image files, but it does not fully recognize the install and thus it wont let you remove and errors on any attempt to install another theme. I had to do WebOS Doctor to fix it.

It seems like disabling the back gesture would be somewhat simple. Is there something i'm missing? Preware is the best thing since sliced Pre, but I feel I would be less likely to cause problems if the back gesture was disabled during install/removal.
    Great idea. Can you please add it to Application talk:Preware - WebOS Internals ?

-- Rod
    Please post the output of "du -s /var/usr/palm/applications" and "df /var" so we can debug the problem. We have seen this in a couple of isolated cases, but have not been able to reproduce it or work out why it is happening, so we need people who are able to help us diagnose the cause ...

-- Rod
    I am having the same problem. I was able to download apps from app store until I installed the package manager that had fair dinkum incorporated into it. Now, no matter how many apps I move to my /media/internal, I still can't download or update from app store.

Here is my "du -s /var/usr/palm/applications"

11180 /var/usr/palm/applications

Here is my "df /var"

Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    253920 190696 63224 75% /var

Could this be due to email attachments or web cache occupying my /var partition? If so, what is the best way to clear that?

Thanks,

thesnowdog
    Quote Originally Posted by thesnowdog View Post
    I am having the same problem. I was able to download apps from app store until I installed the package manager that had fair dinkum incorporated into it. Now, no matter how many apps I move to my /media/internal, I still can't download or update from app store.

Here is my "du -s /var/usr/palm/applications"

11180 /var/usr/palm/applications

Here is my "df /var"

Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    253920 190696 63224 75% /var

Could this be due to email attachments or web cache occupying my /var partition? If so, what is the best way to clear that?

Thanks,

thesnowdog
    You have less than 100MiB free, so are hitting the second palm limit.

Try running MvApp to see what is best/easiest to move.

-- Rod