Page 16 of 305 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920212666116 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hmagoo View Post
    I think palm's limit on apps really affects the viability of this app. I love preware, it really follows through on every feature, but installing a decent number of apps with preware makes it impossible to install an app with palm's app catalog. I'm almost overstating the obvious here, but I somewhat consider this a limitation on Preware's usefulness at this point. Hope we can figure it out, not sure going back into a several page long thread is going to be very productive especially since the entire workaround didn't work correctly, and ultimately.

Might I suggest that preware allows us to uninstall several or all homebrews at once, then install from the app catalog, and then reinstall the homebrews? There would of course be apps that have databases/settings and apps that have scripts but we, or preware, could govern which apps are going to be temporarily uninstalled to get around the limit. Preware has always done a great job at knowing what we have installed so I'm hoping this is possible.
    If it's not fixed in webOS 1.2, we'll look into it.

At the moment, we're focusing more on actually installing and removing advanced homebrew packages correctly (which is one of the primary reasons for Preware's existence).

For example, I believe I have solved one of the reasons why people are not seeing the Package Manager Service start in some circumstances, and also solved the puzzling respawn messages in /var/log/messages on boot. The solutions are checked into the git source code repository for anyone who is interested in alpha testing them.

BTW, Preware never intended to fix any space or application number limits, so there is no "workaround" in Preware. We use the fundamental ipkg Linux command line tool because that's the proper way to do package management on an embedded device. If Palm decides to publish an open standard ipkg feed format for the official App Catalog, then Preware would be able to install applications from it.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 09/04/2009 at 08:02 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Do you have a clue when it will be out? Hopefully soon don't ya think?

At the moment, we're focusing more on actually installing and removing advanced homebrew packages correctly (which is one of the primary reasons for Preware's existence).

For example, I believe I have solved one of the reasons why people are not seeing the Package Manager Service start in some circumstances, and also solved the puzzling respawn messages in /var/log/messages on boot. The solutions are checked into the git source code repository for anyone who is interested in alpha testing them.

BTW, Preware never intended to fix any space or application number limits, so there is no "workaround" in Preware. We use the fundamental ipkg Linux command line tool because that's the proper way to do package management on an embedded device. If Palm decides to publish an open standard ipkg feed format for the official App Catalog, then Preware would be able to install applications from it.

-- Rod
    Thx for all your hard work this app is fantastic!!!
    If Palm decides to publish an open standard ipkg feed format for the official App Catalog, then Preware would be able to install applications from it.

-- Rod
    I can't imagine that ever happening. Palm will have to lift the limitation or a hack will have to be created to circumvent it, that's really the only 2 options. I'm hoping for the former. I can't think of any valid reason why Palm has this limitation in place.

I don't check the official Palm forum very often. I'll pop on over there and see if it's been discussed and voice my opinion on the matter. I ask that as many people as possible do the same. The only way Palm will change the limitation is if they know a lot of people don't like it.
    I accidently updated Preware without updating the the services compnent first. In fact I have not installed the package manager serviece at all so far. Does it matter? It seems to be running fine so far.
    Last edited by sir_mycroft; 09/04/2009 at 09:23 AM.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Can any one help me im having problesm installing my computer is tell me unable to opne filecoaster the file is corruct or somethin can anyone tell me how to do it correctly
    Anyone else having trouble loading this app today?
    Quote Originally Posted by mw03 View Post
    Anyone else having trouble loading this app today?
    sometimes it takes 2 loads....1st time u load....it hangs then i exit it...i load it a 2nd time and it loads perfectly
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

-- Rod
    Is it possible to save a list of the downloaded preware applications so we can uninstall them simultaneously to load Palm applications and then reinstall the list?
    Quote Originally Posted by ujsc View Post
    Is it possible to save a list of the downloaded preware applications so we can uninstall them simultaneously to load Palm applications and then reinstall the list?
    I would like to see a "update prep" button.

One that uninstalls (and remembers / able to re-install) anything that may conflict with a firmware update.
    Quote Originally Posted by tony lozano View Post
    CAN SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE? I KEEP GETTING THIS MESSAGE org.webosinternals.ipkservice is not running
    I can confirm this..
    I've been using preware for sometime to download all 58 homebrew apps. For some reason I get this message so i reboot the pre. Then it works sometimes yes sometimes not. It renders the app less useful than the WebOsquick install app for when I don't have time to kill. Anyways.. You should report it on the thread already created for preware. Although this is a good way to grab someone's attention. But you shouldn't.
  12.    #312  
    Quote Originally Posted by ujsc View Post
    This has the possibility to cause LOTS of headaches, for us and you.

As posted earlier in this thread, apps have settings/databases/etc that are removed when you uninstall them. Imagine how angry users would be if they used such a feature then opened up DrPodder to listen to their favorite podcast only to see the entire list back to the default. Or All their perfect green checks on puzzles in blocked now saying they've never been played.

Such a feature will never be implemented in Preware.

Not that it matters, as I would be SHOCKED if palm didn't fix the app limit in the next update.

Quote Originally Posted by thatwilsonguy View Post
    I would like to see a "update prep" button.

One that uninstalls (and remembers / able to re-install) anything that may conflict with a firmware update.
    I don't think WebOS updates will ever go this smooth with patches.

Yes, we could add flags so we know what you should remove before an update (really, its just anything you've installed in the patches category.) And automatic removal of patches may be something we implement in the future. But an automatic reinstall of those patches after you upgrade webos could brick your phone.

Before an update comes out, patch creators aren't getting any forewarning of what is changing in the framework (well, unless it leaks like 1.2 just did.) And an update to a patch to make it work with the new framework could take weeks or longer.

If you absolutely MUST update the day the update comes out, You may be a while without your favorite patch. It's something you will have to play by ear, not something that will ever be automated.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I just updated the preware app and the packaging service and now when I turn in on all it says is updating and wont load. I uninstalled and re-installed about 4 times now and rebooted my pre and it just says updating. I have signal when I try to load it but it just sits there
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    Yes, we could add flags so we know what you should remove before an update (really, its just anything you've installed in the patches category.) And automatic removal of patches may be something we implement in the future. But an automatic reinstall of those patches after you upgrade webos could brick your phone.
    Well, not brick your phone, but cause it to be temporarily unresponsive until you fix things manually via ssh or take it to the webOS Doctor for a cure.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    I've just pushed org.webosinternals.ipkgservice version 0.8.2 to the feeds.

You need to use WebOS Quick Install to update to it.

The major change is that the service startup has been completely revamped.

The other visible change is that the PreYourMind feed has been added to the default set of feeds (see PreYourMind.org for details).

There is no new release of Preware yet - it remains at 0.8.0 for the public, and 0.8.1 for alpha testers who build it from the source code repository.

Preware 0.8.0 and 0.8.1 both work with Package Manager Service 0.7.7, 0.7.8, 0.8.0, 0.8.1 and 0.8.2 (we specifically do this so that people don't have problems with the transition depending on which order they update the service and the application.

You may choose to update to 0.8.2 of the Package Manager Service at your convenience (but the next version of Preware may well require it). Feel free to wait for a day or two if you want others to do the beta testing first.

If you are having problems with hangs on startup, please try version 0.8.2 of the Package Manager Service.

Remember that services take a while to start up on the Pre, so if you get a hang, the first thing you should try is simply restarting Preware - you may have just opened Preware before the Pre services subsystems had completed their startup. If you start Preware *after* your phone has connected to your carrier, and have a good network connection, and Preware hangs, then I want to know about it.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by Pardoe View Post
    I just updated the preware app and the packaging service and now when I turn in on all it says is updating and wont load. I uninstalled and re-installed about 4 times now and rebooted my pre and it just says updating. I have signal when I try to load it but it just sits there
    I'm sorry, but this simply is not a good enough bug report. :-)

You haven't given the versions of anything, and you didn't say what you used to update things.

You also haven't said whether you verified network connectivity by using the browser to access a web page.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Just installed Preware last night and did a battery test...
    Charged up to 100%, unplugged, went to sleep, woke up to 92%. I disabled my Gmail before hand because I know that syncs unnecessarily and drains about 8-10% overnight at all settings no matter what. Before Preware with the same test I would wake up to 100%. I know it's not a huge drain but every bit helps on this sub-par battery.

These were my only mods (system and styling)...
    * Add / delete launcher pages
    * 4x4 icons
    * Silence phone dial pad
    * Message forwarding
    * PDF landscape
    * Messaging in landscape
    * Cal duration log
    * Battery % in top header

Not sure if these matter but downloaded these from PreWare:
    Flashlight (+service)
    GNU Patch (I dont know what this is and why it's there?)
    Package Manager Service
    PreLoad
    Pre Updater
    Virtual Keyboard
    Sorry if this has been addressed already. I don't have time to read through 300 posts to see if anyone noticed this.
    Any clues???
    AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR HARD WORK AND MAKING THIS AVAILABLE TO THE NOT SO TECH SAVVY PRE OWNERS!...

p.s. I'm still a bit confused on updating homebrew apps. Is it recommended that we delete apps first then reinstall, or just update as is?
    Last edited by Freshyz; 09/04/2009 at 05:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    Charged up to 100%, unplugged, went to sleep, woke up to 92%. I disabled my Gmail before hand because I know that syncs unnecessarily and drains about 8-10% overnight at all settings no matter what. Before Preware with the same test I would wake up to 100%. I know it's not a huge drain but every bit helps on this sub-par battery.

These were my only mods (system and styling)...
    * Add / delete launcher pages
    * 4x4 icons
    * Silence phone dial pad
    * Message forwarding
    * PDF landscape
    * Messaging in landscape
    * Cal duration log
    * Battery % in top header

Not sure if these matter but downloaded these from PreWare:
    Flashlight (+service)
    Package Manager Service
    PreLoad
    Pre Updater
    Virtual Keyboard
    Sorry if this has been addressed already. I don't have time to read through 300 posts to see if anyone noticed this.
    Any clues???
    AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR HARD WORK AND MAKING THIS AVAILABLE TO THE NOT SO TECH SAVVY PRE OWNERS!...
    GNU Patch is used to patch the files to install the virtual keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    Preware and the Package Manager Service do absolutely nothing when Preware is not the active application.

Virtual Keyboard
    These also do nothing in the background.

-- Rod
    Preware and the Package Manager Service do absolutely nothing when Preware is not the active application.

These also do nothing in the background.

-- Rod
    Package Manger service 0.8.2 has been release but there are no instruction on how to install. Help

1.Can I install it using Preware? Does Preware have to be in DEvMode?
    2. do I use WOSQI to install it? Do I first remove both Preware and Package Manager and then re-install?
    3. Do i use WOQAI to un-install just Package Manager then reinstal the update?