Page 158 of 305 FirstFirst ... 58108148153154155156157158159160161162163168208258 ... LastLast
Results 3,141 to 3,160 of 6094
    I also can see it.
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    make sure you are running the most up-to-date, 0.9.5 Update Package Manager first if you have that option, then update Preware. As far as the constant checking version, its better than it has been in previous versions, it tells you when you start preware that if it takes more than a few minutes, start disabling feeds. Or just restart the device.
    Once you get Preware to work, you can change how often it updates by tapping the "preware" tab in the upper left corner, "preferences", and changing the setting for "update feeds".

When Preware won't start for me after a couple of minutes, I just flick it off the screen and try again. I haven't had that problem in a while, but when I did I usually got it to work the 2nd or 3rd time.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Make sure "show other types" is enabled in Preferences. That will bring up "Available Other" on the main screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshw9805 View Post
    anybody help with the most recent issues with preware?

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...root-mode.html

Or read the Thread " Offline Root Mode " it is basically not allowing installs from Webosinternals and proving an Error: Offline Root Mode: Not Running.
    If you are seeing offline root mode in Preware, then you are not running the latest version of Preware. It is a red herring, not an error.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    The functionality of the Fair Dinkum App Limit package has now been incorporated into the latest version of the Package Manager Service (that's 0.9.12). Preware itself is unchanged.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 10/31/2009 at 07:19 AM.
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The functionality of the Fair Dinkum App Limit package has now been incorporated into the latest version of the Package Manager Service (that's 0.9.12). Preware itself is unchanged.

-- Rod
    Hi Rod -

First, a very quick "thank you" to you and everyone else involved in making Preware such a great addition for the Pre.

My question is since you've incorporated Fair Dinkum into the Package Manager Service I was curious how this is handled during official updates. Since for official updates it is only necessary to remove patches/tweaks prior to installing an official update and not necessary to remove Preware itself won't the official update break the Fair Dinkum support of the Package Manager Service (assuming that the app limit issue has not been incorporated into the latest official update being installed) at the very least, or the Package Manager Service itself (since Fair Dinkum is incorporated within the service) at the worst case scenario?

I'm sure I'm missing something here but that was my first thought when I saw that you had incorporated Fair Dinkum into the Package Manager Service. Thanks in advance for your reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaidan View Post
    Hi Rod -

First, a very quick "thank you" to you and everyone else involved in making Preware such a great addition for the Pre.

My question is since you've incorporated Fair Dinkum into the Package Manager Service I was curious how this is handled during official updates. Since for official updates it is only necessary to remove patches/tweaks prior to installing an official update and not necessary to remove Preware itself won't the official update break the Fair Dinkum support of the Package Manager Service (assuming that the app limit issue has not been incorporated into the latest official update being installed) at the very least, or the Package Manager Service itself (since Fair Dinkum is incorporated within the service) at the worst case scenario?

I'm sure I'm missing something here but that was my first thought when I saw that you had incorporated Fair Dinkum into the Package Manager Service. Thanks in advance for your reply.
    Fair Dinkum is a Linux command line script, not a patch. It does not alter any Palm files, and is therefore impervious to webOS updates.

That script has now been made part of the Package Manager Service, and still does not need to be removed for a webOS update.

Neither Package Manager Service nor Preware ever need to be removed for any reason. We've designed them that way intentionally.

Even if the app limit problem is fixed by Palm, the Package Manager Service should still work correctly, and should not interfere with Palm's fix (as far as we can predict - we don't know what the fix will be).

-- Rod
    After I installed Preware and the relative components my Itunes sync doesn't recognize my Pre in Itunes. I'm still using Itunes 9.0.1.8 which worked fine until the Preware install. I have reboot my pre several times, I have removed the battery and powered on to drain any residual power and replaced the battery and powered up again but still no Itunes sync. What's wrong? I need my podcasts back on my Pre. Please help.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Even if the app limit problem is fixed by Palm, the Package Manager Service should still work correctly, and should not interfere with Palm's fix (as far as we can predict - we don't know what the fix will be).

-- Rod
    Hey Rod, cool that it is now in the package manager service. Quick question. Should we uninstall the fair dinkum app, before or after we install the new service?

And your comment... To me this implies that the fix is NOT in 1.3.1
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    Fair Dinkum is a Linux command line script, not a patch. It does not alter any Palm files, and is therefore impervious to webOS updates.

That script has now been made part of the Package Manager Service, and still does not need to be removed for a webOS update.

Neither Package Manager Service nor Preware ever need to be removed for any reason. We've designed them that way intentionally.

-- Rod
    Excellent! Thanks for the quick and detailed response.
    Last edited by blaidan; 10/31/2009 at 01:00 PM.
    Mine still works. I had to wait for roughly a minute before iTunes actually recognized my Pre as being connected, but it did eventually show up.

Oh, and I do have the latest Preware installed on my Pre as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    Hey Rod, cool that it is now in the package manager service. Quick question. Should we uninstall the fair dinkum app, before or after we install the new service?

And your comment... To me this implies that the fix is NOT in 1.3.1
    Yes, you should uninstall fair dinkum. The Package Manager Service update should have done this for you. A future version of Fair Dinkum will "self destruct" (i.e. uninstall itself on upgrade)

There is no definitive way to tell whether 1.3.1 fixes the app limit or not, as it is an SDK Emulator release only, and the emulator does not have a separate /var partition.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

-- Rod
    So does that mean I should no longer have to disable the feeds in preware before downloading things from the app catalog?

Being me has its advantages.

-- Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
    Quote Originally Posted by noaxis2 View Post
    So does that mean I should no longer have to disable the feeds in preware before downloading things from the app catalog?
    That is correct.

-- Rod
    Question:

Since I have remove Fair Dink before upgrading the Package Service Manager, what do I need to do with the apps that I install because of needing the patch in the first place.

Do I need to remove the apps as well to make sure I not over the limit before I remove the patch which I'm just going to install the upgraded Package Service Manager?

I think I can leave the apps because they are already installed, but I just wanted to check first.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Since I have remove Fair Dink before upgrading the Package Service Manager, what do I need to do with the apps that I install because of needing the patch in the first place.
    Nothing.

Note that the Package Manager Service removes the Fair Dinkum package automatically, so you don't need to do it beforehand.

-- Rod
    There is a version of the Package Manager Service in alpha testing which sets up the webos-patches feed to automatically select the patches which match the currently-running webOS version.

Please join the #webos-internals IRC channel and make yourself known if you wish to alpha test it.

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=webos-internals

-- Rod
    Now that I have updated the package service manager/preware and the Fair Dinkum App Limit is removed I am running in to the memory limit problem again. I have uninstalled apps, and that did not help. I have uninstalled the package service manager/preware and reinstalled them to try and correct issue. No help.
    Quote Originally Posted by pjjohn73 View Post
    Now that I have updated the package service manager/preware and the Fair Dinkum App Limit is removed I am running in to the memory limit problem again. I have uninstalled apps, and that did not help. I have uninstalled the package service manager/preware and reinstalled them to try and correct issue. No help.
    Install the Terminal application using Preware, or use the Linux commandline screen in WebOS Quick Install, and tell me the output of the following commands:

ls -l /usr/local/bin/ipkg

du -s /var/usr/palm/applications

df /var

and join freenode Web IRC (qwebirc) for real-time assistance.

-- Rod