Page 15 of 305 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516171819202565115 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    This would put Preware in direct competition with the Palm App Catalog, which is something that the Palm SDK EULA specifically prohibits.

Don't bite the hand that allows you to do all these great things on the Pre.

-- Rod
    I think he mostly wanted a way to be able to install official catalog apps now. not necessarily **** off palm. I guess our next goal is to see whats telling the app catalog to not install apps and remove it or make the limit above 60... maybe a little browsing of the app catalog code could come up with something useful.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    I think he mostly wanted a way to be able to install official catalog apps now. not necessarily **** off palm. I guess our next goal is to see whats telling the app catalog to not install apps and remove it or make the limit above 60... maybe a little browsing of the app catalog code could come up with something useful.
    Preware.org has explicit permission to access all the existing four feeds.

We do not have permission to access Palm's App Catalog, and to do so without permission could easily cause legal problems under the DMCA, as it is accessed over an encrypted link. We know roughly know how to do it, but choose not to for these reasons.

Perhaps Palm can be convinced to use Preware instead of the existing Palm App Catalog application ;-)

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Preware.org has explicit permission to access all the existing four feeds.

We do not have permission to access Palm's App Catalog, and to do so without permission could easily cause legal problems under the DMCA, as it is accessed over an encrypted link. We know roughly know how to do it, but choose not to for these reasons.

Perhaps Palm can be convinced to use Preware instead of the existing Palm App Catalog application ;-)

-- Rod
    No i was not speaking of accessing palm's feed. i was speaking of tweaking the app catalog app to ignore the app limitation so people can have more then 60 apps. once again still not ok by palm i am sure but neither is any of the other patches we have been using.
    MatterOfFactJack
    No i was not speaking of accessing palm's feed. i was speaking of tweaking the app catalog app to ignore the app limitation so people can have more then 60 apps. once again still not ok by palm i am sure but neither is any of the other patches we have been using.
    Sure, we can take a look at that.

Patches do not access any files that you do not already have on your Pre, and do not subvert any encryption mechanisms.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    Yes. If an app you have installed has an update that button becomes clickable.
    Cool, thank you.
    Is preware down for anyone else? I've been staring at the loading graphics forever and it just won't load. I've tried quiting it and relaunching w/o success.
    As far as limitations go, I uninstall all my homebrews that I had install with file coaster and re-install with Preware. with this been am I still been cap by palm app catalog?

I try to install Direct NFL and it ask me to delete an application I have to make room, so I unistall 2 Palm catalogs and 4 homebrews. Now I have total of 55 applications install, 12 of those are palm apps, 39 homebrews through Preware and 4 are some sort of service or patch, not including what came with the phone. and it still ask to remove an application to make room, how is it that the majority been Preware install homebrews the Palm App catalog still tells me i need to remove an application to install?
    Quote Originally Posted by miguelchin36 View Post
    As far as limitations go, I uninstall all my homebrews that I had install with file coaster and re-install with Preware. with this been am I still been cap by palm app catalog?

I try to install Direct NFL and it ask me to delete an application I have to make room, so I unistall 2 Palm catalogs and 4 homebrews. Now I have total of 55 applications install, 12 of those are palm apps, 39 homebrews through Preware and 4 are some sort of service or patch, not including what came with the phone. and it still ask to remove an application to make room, how is it that the majority been Preware install homebrews the Palm App catalog still tells me i need to remove an application to install?
    I wish i knew... to stay on topic perhaps this can be discussed in another thread.

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-around-4.html
    MatterOfFactJack
    once again the AccelService started causing major complication to my pre. Very unstable. But randomly started making my pre super sluggish and 10min reboots. suddenly one reboot it was all good again. then i tried another reboot went back to hell i managed to remove it using quickinstall all is well.
    MatterOfFactJack
    once again the AccelService started causing major complication to my pre. Very unstable. But randomly started making my pre super sluggish and 10min reboots. suddenly one reboot it was all good again. then i tried another reboot went back to hell i managed to remove it using quickinstall all is well.
    Could you tell me exactly what you are doing when you see the issues? The service does nothing unless it's called to do something.
    Thanks, i guess we will wait till their is a change on that, back to removing more apps i really want the Direct NFL
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    Could you tell me exactly what you are doing when you see the issues? The service does nothing unless it's called to do something.
    when it originally happened last weekend nothing... i did not have the demo app installed for it. this time around it seemed fine till i uninstalled the demo app about a half our later it started acting up. so indeed it has to be doing something without being called for i dunno what. As soon as i managed to remove it pre went back to normal

Quote Originally Posted by miguelchin36 View Post
    Thanks, i guess we will wait till their is a change on that, back to removing more apps i really want the Direct NFL
    Only thing i can think of now is to remove a bunch install all your official app catalog apps first then you can install homebrew back with preware.
    MatterOfFactJack
    If the 60 app limit is in the phone I would sure like to see a patch but if it is on Palms end....
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    If the 60 app limit is in the phone I would sure like to see a patch but if it is on Palms end....
    im not sure if the case is truly 60 apps... i honestly dont know what is causing the limit but i am sure if we do some research we can find a way to patch it. rwhity said he will look into it im sure him and his team over at webosinternals may digg something up.
    MatterOfFactJack
    im not sure if the case is truly 60 apps... i honestly dont know what is causing the limit but i am sure if we do some research we can find a way to patch it. rwhity said he will look into it im sure him and his team over at webosinternals may digg something up.
    Ya, if there is any patch that it can be done on it is the PRE. Funny we might not even be able to talk about hacking the phone except with the Palm.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    I don't think it goes by # of apps cuz I just had 58 and i t happened to me. I think it has to do with the size of the apps you have installed cz if you look some apps are huge in size while others are small.
    love the update!
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I updated the preware and packaging service and now when I try to open up preware all it does it just do that circle spinning load and doesn't do anything
    Anybody else having this problem?
    I think palm's limit on apps really affects the viability of this app. I love preware, it really follows through on every feature, but installing a decent number of apps with preware makes it impossible to install an app with palm's app catalog. I'm almost overstating the obvious here, but I somewhat consider this a limitation on Preware's usefulness at this point. Hope we can figure it out, not sure going back into a several page long thread is going to be very productive especially since the entire workaround didn't work correctly, and ultimately.

Might I suggest that preware allows us to uninstall several or all homebrews at once, then install from the app catalog, and then reinstall the homebrews? There would of course be apps that have databases/settings and apps that have scripts but we, or preware, could govern which apps are going to be temporarily uninstalled to get around the limit. Preware has always done a great job at knowing what we have installed so I'm hoping this is possible.
    Last edited by hmagoo; 09/04/2009 at 03:15 AM.
    I had the same problem and here is what I did:
    (not knowing how you installed the updates do the following)
    1. Using WOSQI uninstall both apps, i.e., first -preware then package manager
    2. Reset Pre
    3.Using WOSQI install package manager
    4. Next using WOSQI install preware
    5. resart Pre

Preware will take awhile to load up due to the fact it's reading whats on your device

enjoy!