Page 148 of 305 FirstFirst ... 4898138143144145146147148149150151152153158198248 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,960 of 6094
    THis is the results of it - Im pasting u the whole thing cause i didnt find it in any....

root@castle: cat /var/usr/lib/ipkg/status
    Package: com.accuweather.palm
    Version: 0.9.16
    Architecture: all
    Description: AccuWeather
    Maintainer: AccuWeather, Inc_ <palm@palm.com>
    Section: misc
    Size: 1070320
    Installed-Size: 1298
    Installed-Time: 1247166099

do u have the good info to tell me how i can fix this?
    Last edited by ariroth; 10/22/2009 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Update
    where is the package manager service? thats where i get lost cause i cant find it
    i do have the webos quick installer, its in front of my face but no pms ... lol
    help
    Quote Originally Posted by ariroth View Post
    THis is the results of it - Im pasting u the whole thing cause i didnt find it in any....

root@castle: cat /var/usr/lib/ipkg/status
    Package: com.accuweather.palm
    Version: 0.9.16
    Architecture: all
    Description: AccuWeather
    Maintainer: AccuWeather, Inc_ <palm@palm.com>
    Section: misc
    Size: 1070320
    Installed-Size: 1298
    Installed-Time: 1247166099

do u have the good info to tell me how i can fix this?
    That is very strange - all the packages in list_installed should appear in that file.

Can you join the IRC channel at http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=webos-internals to debug in real time?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Im now at that site - what do i do there?
    delete
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    A hang at Checking Version means that you've interrupted an update or download operation. You need to either restart Preware (this should work after such a long time) or reboot the Pre and wait until you have a stable network connection before launching Preware.

All this type of information will be written on that status screen in the next version of Preware ...

-- Rod
    Good to know. I always wondered at times my data was iffy why that happened more often. In fact when I was at my summer home last month i think it was. I was trying constantly and kept getting stuck like that. That is when I discovered the whole list file got bloated to like 140MB. I'm not sure why that happened and I have not heard of it happen to anyone else. I think somehow in the process of iffy data something weird happened maybe it kept appending the file during feed updating but never completed the transfer and kept restarting and appending. In fact it was so odd I wonder if it could ever happen to anyone ever again.
    Quote Originally Posted by erniemac0582 View Post
    where is the package manager service? thats where i get lost cause i cant find it
    ok hold on I'm going to look for the step by step thing precentral made and give you the link to it ok ?
    click on the download icon in the main window. Then under the feeds drop down you select webos all. then you'll see the pm and preware. choose em and then close when downloaded. then you'll see the files in the main webosinstall window, just transfer em over with the big install button.
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Is it cool to just update PMS as is or is an uninstall advised? I don't have the current version of QI. (yet)
    Quote Originally Posted by erniemac0582 View Post
    ok here this link has pictures and everything it should be a piece of cake http://www.precentral.net/screen-vir...o-mere-mortals IGNORE THE VIRTUAL KEYBOARD PART JUST USE THE INTALLING PREWARE PART
    Rwhitby is the freaking man. If you guys are having problems installing preware after uninstalling and reinstalling Package Service Manager and you are on a Windows PC, use this installer instead.

Index of /

Connect your pre via the USB cable and choose Just Charge
    Next run the file from the site above titled: PrewareInstaller-0.9.4.exe
    Follow the onscreen instructions and enjoy.

This was the result of an hour of troubleshooting with Rwhitby. I am not an expert on this matter, and have only stated the steps to success that worked for me. Results may not be typical.

Again Rwhitby is the man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    Is it cool to just update PMS as is or is an uninstall advised? I don't have the current version of QI. (yet)
    The safest way to upgrade Package Manager Service or Preware is to use Preware itself to do it.

It has become clear that there is some transient problem with WebOS Quick Install which is causing it not to install Preware in some cases. I cannot reproduce it, but we've run people through debugging and it's clear that WebOS Quick Install is failing to install Preware.

So until that is sorted we must recommend people use the stand-alone installers at Index of / to install Preware from scratch, and to only use Preware to upgrade the Package Manager Service and Preware.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Preware 0.9.5 has been released. Just use Preware to update itself (it will close itself as the last step of installation - just re-launch the new version). The Package Manager Service has also been updated to 0.9.10 - you should use Preware to update it too.

We added more verbose status and error messages, to help users determine situations where simply restarting Preware is likely to solve their problem, or situations where the Pre must be rebooted, and to give advice on when to re-launch Preware after the reboot.

We now ignore the spurious offline root messages that used to come up in red text in the IPKG Log. These are red herrings (literally) and blinded users to the real errors. The format of the IPKG Log has also been improved to be more readable for users.

We have added initial support for some corner cases in package dependencies (e.g. installing a new package which has a dependency on another package which has an update pending). There is some more work to be done on this, but it should be fully functional for the situations that are encountered in all existing packages (it won't work for patches that depend on other patches, but we don't have any of those yet).

Also, when a user cancels a package installation, or when the post-install script fails to run properly, the remnants of the package are now removed to leave the package in an uninstalled state.

Some of you may have seen another application called "Installer" in the PreCentral App Gallery. This application is an unauthorised copy of Preware 0.9.4 by another author.

Since Preware is open source, anyone has the right to copy it and create bigger and better applications with new functionality. Other homebrew installers already make great use of the open source Package Manager Service, and we are very happy for that to happen in the true spirit of open source development.

However, we do not recommend that anyone runs the "Installer" application, since the other author did not contact us in any way before releasing that application, and it is clear that the other author does not yet understand the internal operation of Preware or the Package Manager Service, and has only made cosmetic changes to the user interface so far. It is already out of date as of Preware 0.9.5 and still contains the bugs that we have fixed in this release of Preware.

There is a thread on this subject at http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...staller-5.html if you are interested in the details.

Don't forget that you can be the first to hear about new Preware releases by following @webosinternals on Twitter ...

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 10/23/2009 at 04:08 AM.
  16. nak
    Some of you may have seen another application called "Installer" in the PreCentral App Gallery. This application is an unauthorised copy of Preware 0.9.4 by another author.
    It is no longer available. I guess the author withdrew it. Honestly I'd prefer to have just one advanced installer like Preware. I don't like the birth of Installer. But such is the nature of Open Source.
    Preware 0.9.5 has been released. Just use Preware to update itself (it will close itself as the last step of installation - just re-launch the new version). The Package Manager Service has also been updated to 0.9.10 - you should use Preware to update it too.

We added more verbose status and error messages, to help users determine situations where simply restarting Preware is likely to solve their problem, or situations where the Pre must be rebooted, and to give advice on when to re-launch Preware after the reboot.

We now ignore the spurious offline root messages that used to come up in red text in the IPKG Log. These are red herrings (literally) and blinded users to the real errors. The format of the IPKG Log has also been improved to be more readable for users.

We have added initial support for some corner cases in package dependencies (e.g. installing a new package which has a dependency on another package which has an update pending). There is some more work to be done on this, but it should be fully functional for the situations that are encountered in all existing packages (it won't work for patches that depend on other patches, but we don't have any of those yet).

Also, when a user cancels a package installation, or when the post-install script fails to run properly, the remnants of the package are now removed to leave the package in an uninstalled state.

Since Preware is open source, anyone has the right to copy it and create bigger and better applications with new functionality. Other homebrew installers already make great use of the open source Package Manager Service, and we are very happy for that to happen in the true spirit of open source development.

However, we do not recommend that anyone runs the "Installer" application, since the other author did not contact us in any way before releasing that application, and it is clear that the other author does not yet understand the internal operation of Preware or the Package Manager Service, and has only made cosmetic changes to the user interface so far. It is already out of date as of Preware 0.9.5 and still contains the bugs that we have fixed in this release of Preware.

There is a thread on this subject at http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...staller-5.html if you are interested in the details.

Don't forget that you can be the first to hear about new Preware releases by following @webosinternals on Twitter ...

-- Rod
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!! THIS HAS SOLVED ALL MY PROBLEMS tweaking my replacement Pre! I will be making a donation on payday!!! Thank you Thank you Thank you!!
    I searched and it looks like I am having a similar issue as this post. I am very, very new at linux commands and rooting my Pre. I have gained root access to my Pre before and successfully done things but I am just trying to not screw anything up. Here is what happened.

Basically, I edited a file manually and sent it with WOSQI to my Pre. Being stupid, I forgot that I had a patch already applied to the same file. So, right now Preware thinks the patch is installed when in actuality it is not. When I try to remove it obviously an error comes up and it cannot remove the patch. Ultimately, it is a minor deal because the file I sent is working how expected. Is there any way to remove the patch installed by preware so it knows it is removed?

Specifically the patch I am trying to remove is the Replies/Forwards in black patch. I manually sent over a changed email.jsjsjs $file$ $and$ $manually$ $made$ $the$ $changes$ $I$ $wanted$. $The$ $following$ $is$ $the$ $ipkg$ $log$ $as$ $well$.

Confirm: User consent requested for pre-remove script execution

Unlock: Nothing interesting

Prerm: patching file /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/models/Email.jsjsjs
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 458.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/models/Email.jsjsjs.$rej$

Failed: ErrorGenericMethodException: Failure during pre-remove script execution
    Is the solution the same as in the linked post? What do I need to type at the command line after gaining root access to my phone? Do I even need root access to fix this? Will uninstalling Preware and reinstalling Preware solve this issue? Any help would be appreciated and thanks to everyone for all the hard work.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot. I am running version 0.9.5 of preware and the most current package manager service.
    Last edited by bpdamas; 10/23/2009 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Further clarification
    does it matter which order I update preware and package manger?
  20. nak
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    does it matter which order I update preware and package manger?
    You should always update the package manager service first and then preware second.

Visit the Preware page at webos internals for the latest news. It also has installation and update guides there as well.

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals