Page 145 of 305 FirstFirst ... 4595135140141142143144145146147148149150155195245 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,900 of 6094
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post1988651

The patch created in that thread is something desirable for many pre owners I believe, but the creator doesn't know how to package it for preware. Could one of you genius types help out por favor?

THANKS!
    I can't seem to get preware to install. I can install the package manager service via QuickInstall and it shows up under the Device Managment. I download the preware and it seems to install fine, but it does not sure up in Device Management or on the Pre itself. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Pre is in Development Mode and have tried rebooting.

Thanks
    There are quite a few patches scattered on the forums that are not submitted to Preware (as well as my own patches). I wish there was an easier way or guide on how to submit them (other than the wiki).

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ferguson1983 View Post
    I can't seem to get preware to install. I can install the package manager service via QuickInstall and it shows up under the Device Managment. I download the preware and it seems to install fine, but it does not sure up in Device Management or on the Pre itself. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Pre is in Development Mode and have tried rebooting.

Thanks
    Ahhh....It seems my bug is becoming more prevalent. Hopefully someone can resolve this. There are no error codes to debug with. Preware simply doesn't appear.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    There are quite a few patches scattered on the forums that are not submitted to Preware (as well as my own patches). I wish there was an easier way or guide on how to submit them (other than the wiki).
    Seems like there could be a desktop .exe file where you could drag your code file onto the exe and it packages an ipk file and outputs it for you.

I know I've used similar exe's for packaging files in the past. However, I'm not smart enough to develop such a tool.
    why dont you install with quick install. i just did. download the file and unzip it. open up quick install and hit the "plus" button. select file and click install.

i read you said it didn't work on your computer. i think you are mistaken. why would it only not work on your computer. i can't add patches because of my corporate firewall but i can do it manually like i stated above.
    I got the 'checking version' stall a couple times yesterday after 'updating' stalled and ended up closing Preware. A reboot clears it up, and disabling some of the feeds got 'updating' to complete - I assume that some of the feeds were clogged up. Later last night, I enabled all feeds and 'updating' executed all the way through.

So my advice: set preferences to update 'manually.' If 'updating' stalls, back gesture to main screen preferences, disable some feeds and try again. If you close preware and open it again and wind up with 'checking version,' reboot the Pre and try again.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  8.    #2888  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsamsel View Post
    Ahhh....It seems my bug is becoming more prevalent. Hopefully someone can resolve this. There are no error codes to debug with. Preware simply doesn't appear.
    Hopefully someone with the problem will eventually get us more information so we can attempt to solve it.

I tried to get it to happen on my phone, but I couldn't get it to not work.

Without more information, there is simply nothing we can do.

Have you tried the stand alone preware installer?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    Hopefully someone with the problem will eventually get us more information so we can attempt to solve it.

I tried to get it to happen on my phone, but I couldn't get it to not work.

Without more information, there is simply nothing we can do.

Have you tried the stand alone preware installer?
    I have tried the stand alone .exe and .jar....both hang on installing with no progress.

I know you want more steps but it would be simply impossible to go through everything I've done with the phone. As I stated prior I updated Preware without knowing a new package service was required. After that broke Preware I uninstalled both the "package" and Preware. That is the point I am now at. I will reinstall the package and it installs seemingly fine. The Preware install goes as expected but does not actually install the application.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewjohn View Post
    why dont you install with quick install. i just did. download the file and unzip it. open up quick install and hit the "plus" button. select file and click install.

i read you said it didn't work on your computer. i think you are mistaken. why would it only not work on your computer. i can't add patches because of my corporate firewall but i can do it manually like i stated above.
    Quick Install freezes on my PC. It opens, I've followed ever step to a T, even manually installed the novacom to make sure it was working. QI just freezes anytime I try to select anything from a drop down etc... So I got preware installed from a friends PC, and it's my only avenue for installing patches as of now.

I'm not behind a firewall either, it's my personal pc.
    Guess ill throw my hat in as another one having issues with getting preware back on my phone.

I had a rather old version of it as I have been slacking in my geekitude lately. Sorry I cant confirm exactly which version. I downloaded the most recent of Quick Install, downloaded and installed the most recent package manager, downloaded and installed the most recent preware.

At this point I did not have an icon of either. I uninstalled the package manager and preware and reboot the phone. Redownloaded the package manager and installed it. Now I had an icon for package manager. Restarted the phone and redownloaded preware and installed it. No icon still.

Some background, i did a bunch of stuff back in the day like the flashlight and all that stuff before quick install came around, so could be some of those old packages causing issue, dunno. I have been out of the scene for a month or so, so may be repeating other peoples stuff.

Considering doing a hard reset to get rid of all the old learning mistakes.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by killface666 View Post
    Guess ill throw my hat in as another one having issues with getting preware back on my phone.

I had a rather old version of it as I have been slacking in my geekitude lately. Sorry I cant confirm exactly which version. I downloaded the most recent of Quick Install, downloaded and installed the most recent package manager, downloaded and installed the most recent preware.

At this point I did not have an icon of either. I uninstalled the package manager and preware and reboot the phone. Redownloaded the package manager and installed it. Now I had an icon for package manager. Restarted the phone and redownloaded preware and installed it. No icon still.

Some background, i did a bunch of stuff back in the day like the flashlight and all that stuff before quick install came around, so could be some of those old packages causing issue, dunno. I have been out of the scene for a month or so, so may be repeating other peoples stuff.

Considering doing a hard reset to get rid of all the old learning mistakes.
    Yeah you've got the same issue as many of us. The package icon disappears after the reboot right?
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rsamsel View Post
    Yeah you've got the same issue as many of us. The package icon disappears after the reboot right?
    I've never even seen an icon for the package manager I don't think.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    I've webos-doctored my phone about 5 times in the last week while researching the app catalog installation limits.

Each and every time I used WebOS Quick Install (the latest version at the time) or the stand-alone Preware installer to install Preware as the very first thing.

Every time it succeeded without any problems.

So I am unable to reproduce any of these installation problems.

I say again, anyone having problems needs to go through in excruciating detail of how they are uninstalling both the Package Manager Service and Preware, then rebooting the phone, then installing the Package Manager Service and separately installing Preware, and they need to include screenshots of every single step they are taking.

Without this info, we can't help. I simply can't spare the time (yes, we all have real jobs and families and other responsibilities) to respond to any installation issue reports that do not contain this excruciating level of detail. It works for many people (including every single person on the development teams of Preware and WebOS Quick Install), so the onus is on those for whom it does not work to provide the information requested.

Sorry to be harsh, but that's the way it is.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    I've never even seen an icon for the package manager I don't think.
    its like a half moon icon that appears right after the package installation. it disappears after the first reboot. You can actually open a GUI behind it but it basically just tells you that your not supposed to be here
    I'll try to get that excruciating detail for you tonight.

EDIT: unless it's easier to do over IRC?
    i installed preware on my pre but i cant on another pre i used the webos quick install that i used on my pre but i cant get the menu to open to install the package manager but when i use my phone the menu is there and everything works correct
    is the other pre in dev mode?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Follow the removal instructions here:

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

-- Rod
    how do you get your computer to recognize your device i get error message in web os no device detected
    yes i did that