Page 14 of 305 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718192464114 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 6094
  1. #261  
    CAN SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE? I KEEP GETTING THIS MESSAGE org.webosinternals.ipkservice is not running
  2. #262  
    Did you install the Package Manager Service as well as Preware, or just preware? You have to have the package management service installed as well as Preware or it won't work.
  3. #263  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The first post in this thread links directly to the Preware wiki page.

    The Preware app homepage link also links directly to the same wiki page.

    We keep the installation instructions up to date in *one* place - the wiki page.

    Seriously, some people (not referring to you) just don't read documentation no matter where you put it or how blatantly you link to it. Those people will always have problems.

    -- Rod
    Problems arise because on the Preware app homepage (where most people will see an update) there is no clear indication that special steps need to be taken to install this. There is a description of what Preware is and that's it.

    It seems to me it would be very easy to either list the instructions or make it very clear to read the wiki page for installation instructions. That would take someone all of 15 seconds to do and it would eliminate most of the problems people have. Remember you have to think like a end user here.
  4. #264  
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet greggo View Post
    Problems arise because on the Preware app homepage (where most people will see an update) there is no clear indication that special steps need to be taken to install this. There is a description of what Preware is and that's it.

    It seems to me it would be very easy to either list the instructions or make it very clear to read the wiki page for installation instructions. That would take someone all of 15 seconds to do and it would eliminate most of the problems people have. Remember you have to think like a end user here.
    As of Preware 0.8.0, we've removed the option of upgrading services and plugins in Preware until it can be fully done automatically through the package dependencies with no user involvement, and until we've worked out how to safely upgrade services requiring a restart of the services infrastructure (i.e. how to change the tyres on a moving car).

    So Preware 0.8.0 has a very clear pop-up window which tells you to use WebOS Quick Install to do the upgrade of the service. Unfortunately, that's a bit less convenient for those who read and followed the documentation, but that's the price of needing to cater for those who don't read the documentation.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5. #265  
    So when an Update comes out does available app update button show up on the preware front page?
  6.    #266  
    Quote Originally Posted by rem_kujawa View Post
    So when an Update comes out does available app update button show up on the preware front page?
    Yes. If an app you have installed has an update that button becomes clickable.
  7. #267  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    As of Preware 0.8.0, we've removed the option of upgrading services and plugins in Preware until it can be fully done automatically through the package dependencies with no user involvement, and until we've worked out how to safely upgrade services requiring a restart of the services infrastructure (i.e. how to change the tyres on a moving car).

    So Preware 0.8.0 has a very clear pop-up window which tells you to use WebOS Quick Install to do the upgrade of the service. Unfortunately, that's a bit less convenient for those who read and followed the documentation, but that's the price of needing to cater for those who don't read the documentation.

    -- Rod
    The little jabs you keep taking at people is entirely unnecessary. It's not unreasonable to assume people will hit the "upgrade" button that pops up with the package manager and the Preware app since that's all you have to do for 99% of the apps listed. It doesn't look any different than if one was upgrading the checkers app.

    If there are specific instructions needed to install an app but no effort is made to point that out and it's presented exactly like every other upgrade, then it's a failure on the part of the developer not to call that out, period.

    I applaud the change made in .8 to fix this. It should make upgrading in the future a lot easier for people, and make it easier for the developer since they won't have to answer so many question from people that goofed up the upgrade process.
  8. #268  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    So Preware 0.8.0 has a very clear pop-up window which tells you to use WebOS Quick Install to do the upgrade of the service. Unfortunately, that's a bit less convenient for those who read and followed the documentation, but that's the price of needing to cater for those who don't read the documentation.

    -- Rod
    Cripes! Is there a "special" installation version for those who read and follow all of the documentation? Maybe? It worked beautifully for me. Mostly joking because I am fine either way the program works. It's just somewhat frustrating being inconvenienced for other people not doing research like I did to get this to work correctly. However I can only imagine my frustration is minute compared to the frustration you must be seeing. Ultimately, keep up the good work and I guess I will use quick install. Unfortunately it is so difficult to use. I wish there were directions somewhere ... :sarcastic emoticon:
  9. #269  
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet greggo View Post
    The little jabs you keep taking at people is entirely unnecessary. It's not unreasonable to assume people will hit the "upgrade" button that pops up with the package manager and the Preware app since that's all you have to do for 99% of the apps listed. It doesn't look any different than if one was upgrading the checkers app.

    If there are specific instructions needed to install an app but no effort is made to point that out and it's presented exactly like every other upgrade, then it's a failure on the part of the developer not to call that out, period.

    I applaud the change made in .8 to fix this. It should make upgrading in the future a lot easier for people, and make it easier for the developer since they won't have to answer so many question from people that goofed up the upgrade process.
    With all due respect, I disagree with most of this. If people are going to install a program on their phone from the homebrew section (not sanctioned by the phone manufacturer) they have no right to get upset with something not working they way they assumed it to work. Personally (I know this only applies to me) I cannot imagine me installing something on my phone that I am completely aware of how to use it. Especially since it is from an outside source.

    Also, it was not a "fix" by the makers of the program to make it ***** proof. There was nothing wrong with how the old version operated in this fashion. This was simply disabling a feature of the program to suffice the needs of the average user. I am sorry I am being blunt and in no way want to come off rude, but there was nothing wrong with the program as long as people did some research on how to use it. I can see why they changed it though.

    This is just unfortunate for some of the apparently "advanced" users (I in no way consider myself an advanced because all I did was follow the directions) that liked the program the way it was. I see the reasoning of the programmers, will accept it and move on. However, it is kind of like buying a car with automatic windshield wipers, driving around when it's raining, getting in an accident, and then blaming it on the car manufacturer because the wipers impaired your vision and you did not want the wipers to come on. I mean, come on, your other car did not operate like that. Sorry for the rant.
  10.    #270  
    None of this will even be a problem in future releases.
  11. #271  
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    None of this will even be a problem in future releases.
    Sweet. You guys rock.
  12. #272  
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    None of this will even be a problem in future releases.
    I think this app is amazing...I don't care if you disables the update/remove tweaks from Preware if it has to do with adding better functionality or fixing bugs...I don't care...you guys do ur thing and I'll w8
  13. #273  
    Ok...made one slight error, so I'm hoping you can help me avoid another. I updated Preware through itself without updated the package manager first. Preware updated fine, and now when I go to update the package manager, I get the message that it must be updated through Quick Install. That's fine, but what exactly should the steps be at this point? Can I just install the package manager through QI, or do I need to remove Preware 0.8.0 first, then install the package manager, then re-install Preware? And if I do need to remove it, what's the best way?
  14. #274  
    I think the the steps are:
    1. use WOSQI to remove Preware .77 and Package Manager
    2. using WOSQI install package manager
    3. Using WOSQI install Preware .80

    PS. Make sure you are using WOSQI 2.03
  15. #275  
    Quote Originally Posted by wburleson View Post
    I think the the steps are:
    1. use WOSQI to remove Preware .77 and Package Manager
    2. using WOSQI install package manager
    3. Using WOSQI install Preware .80

    PS. Make sure you are using WOSQI 2.03
    Makes sense...and this probably doesn't make any difference....but because it updated itself, I have Preware .80 on already.
  16. #276  
    Is Preware working right now? I load it up and it shows nothing, but the homepage with no numbers or list of apps.

    NM it works now
    Preware & WebOS Internals Supporter
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Main_Page

    IRC chat
    #webos-internals
  17. Steb0ne's Avatar
    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    #277  
    We gotta figure out a way to get the Palm app catalog feed into Preware so we can install everything through Preware. I gotta figure out how I'm gonna install the new DirecTV app now, that I got all these homebrews installed.
  18. #278  
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet greggo View Post
    The little jabs you keep taking at people is entirely unnecessary. It's not unreasonable to assume people will hit the "upgrade" button that pops up with the package manager and the Preware app since that's all you have to do for 99% of the apps listed. It doesn't look any different than if one was upgrading the checkers app.
    They are not jabs, it's just the facts. Most people don't read documentation no matter where you put it. So you need to make the application safe for those people.

    Preware 0.7.7 was only safe for people who followed the instructions to the letter. Preware 0.8.0 has been made safe for all people (as far as we can tell).

    Before Preware 1.0.0 is released, we will work out a way to support upgrades of services and plugins inside Preware, whilst remaining safe for all people.

    Those are the cold, hard, facts. The people who don't read the documentation are no less valuable, and no less smart that those who do. It's just that they are making assumptions about alpha and beta software that are not correct assumptions. So the application has to change.

    If there are specific instructions needed to install an app but no effort is made to point that out and it's presented exactly like every other upgrade, then it's a failure on the part of the developer not to call that out, period.

    I applaud the change made in .8 to fix this. It should make upgrading in the future a lot easier for people, and make it easier for the developer since they won't have to answer so many question from people that goofed up the upgrade process.
    Exactly. That's why we did it, not as some sort of retribution against users who don't read documentation.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  19. #279  
    Quote Originally Posted by steb0ne View Post
    We gotta figure out a way to get the Palm app catalog feed into Preware so we can install everything through Preware. I gotta figure out how I'm gonna install the new DirecTV app now, that I got all these homebrews installed.
    This would put Preware in direct competition with the Palm App Catalog, which is something that the Palm SDK EULA specifically prohibits.

    Don't bite the hand that allows you to do all these great things on the Pre.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  20. #280  
    HEy I just installed Preware, and the package manager, but when I start up Preware it only shows me the programs I have installed via WebOSEasyInstall. How Can I see the available patches and thereafter install them? Any help would be great thanks!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions