Page 139 of 305 FirstFirst ... 3989129134135136137138139140141142143144149189239 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,780 of 6094
    Thanks for that, and all your hard work in general! People like you are what makes this phone awesome!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lauracf View Post
    Although, I have to say, maybe it's my imagination, but it seemed like with my reset phone I was able to download more apps from the app catalog than I had been before. Go figure...
    I can think of two things either you installed all the apps you wanted from app catalog 1st and then homebrew from preware or you had junk clogging up /var and having a clean slate that space was freed up.

Quote Originally Posted by musenu View Post
    Because I get IPKG error, I am not able to remove the 4X4 patch from the list (even though the restore was successful), and I am also not able to remove a theme. Please advise.
    Any time you can't remove a patch or theme use Jason's repair utility to replace the files related to them with the original files for the webOS version on your device. There is a thread dedicated to that app on the forum. Check it out for the details.

Quote Originally Posted by OnePalmAddict View Post
    After loading v2.8.2 of webOS Quick Install and loading the SMS Tone Per Contact patch (haven't made any specific changes; still set to default settings), along with Preware, my notifications no longer vibrate nor play the normal sound; they only give me the LED notification. Anyone else experience this or know if this is related to my loading of Preware or webOS QI, or the patch? How do I get my notification sound/vibration back?

Thx!
    ME
    You need to pick a file for each of the sounds because by default one is not assigned after applying the patch. Also double check settings in messaging, email, and sounds apps to make sure notifications are turned on and set to also vibrate. Also make sure right switch setting for vibrate and not silent if you want it to vibrate. I think that covers all the settings. Then reboot once you set the files and settings correctly to make sure the settings stick.
    Tonight I started the Preware app on my Pre phone and noticed that there were 4 updates available. The list indicated that there was one for Preware itself and I downloaded it. When I ran it, it said that I needed to update my Package Manager app using WEBOS Quick Install. I placed the phone in the developer's mode and ran WEBOS Quick Install. I then uninstalled the package manager and when I clicked the Tweeks menu, the program said I was missing a file and it listed the Package Manager that I just removed and it provided an option to download it. I clicked yes and the program said to be patient this will take a minute. I waited and waited, but nothing happened, the Package Manager did not install. Now I noticed that my Preware program list is grayed out and so is the Palm Apps list. I am out of luck unless anyone knows what is going on and why WebOS Quick Install did not download the program manager as it advertised. (Other program apps download perfectly using WebOS Quick Install)

Your help would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks
    You always have to update the Package Manager Service first and then update Preware.

Use QI to uninstall Preware then use Device Management to make sure the Package Manager Service and Preware is not installed on your device. If either are present, uninstall.

Restart your phone and then follow the normal steps to install Preware again.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Rock on! I love having such an incredibly open phone!
    EPR wasn't visible to me for more or less the entire weekend, but it's visible to me now.

OP, have you tried updating and looking again? Your issue might be resolved now.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    i feel like ive tried everything in the last three hours. uninstalled package service and preware and reinstalled both. tried one at a time. tried reboots. now I admit im stuck. Preware seems to install normally. (no errors...no issues) but nothing actually comes up on the phone. No icons. Nothing in installed apps. Nothing. I uninstall the package service....reboot...and try again. Still nothing. Any advice.

Rob
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    wow...no info or help at all? i would have thought somebody would have taken a guess at it.

Oh well....File Coaster it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsamsel View Post
    wow...no info or help at all? i would have thought somebody would have taken a guess at it.

You may want to reassess your approach to asking for help from those that are providing software to you for free ...

I presume you do know that fileCoaster is not able to install advanced homebrew, patches, themes, services, plugins or linux applications ...

One way to assist those that might help you is to write a *very* long post detailing *exactly* what steps you took to try and solve this yourself, including each and every tool used (including the precise versions of the tools), each and every button that you clicked, and each and every screen, message or action that occurred along the way. Too many times people say they have followed the instructions but actually have either left something out, assumed something, or are not actually following any written instructions from the developers of the tool but from some other blog site that is out of date or just plain wrong.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Rod -

Mine is stuck on "Checking Version." Been doing it for a couple of hours now. It worked right before it as I was trying to install the close slider to hang up phone patch. It didn't install, so I closed Preware. Hasn't come back since.
  11.    #2771  

Maybe I should quit my job and sit around all day pressing F5 in this thread waiting for someone with a problem...

Quote Originally Posted by jboucicaut View Post
    Rod -

Mine is stuck on "Checking Version." Been doing it for a couple of hours now. It worked right before it as I was trying to install the close slider to hang up phone patch. It didn't install, so I closed Preware. Hasn't come back since.
    Restarting your phone will fix it. (This problem has a FAQ in the first post of this thread.)
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You may want to reassess your approach to asking for help from those that are providing software to you for free ...

I presume you do know that fileCoaster is not able to install advanced homebrew, patches, themes, services, plugins or linux applications ...

One way to assist those that might help you is to write a *very* long post detailing *exactly* what steps you took to try and solve this yourself, including each and every tool used (including the precise versions of the tools), each and every button that you clicked, and each and every screen, message or action that occurred along the way. Too many times people say they have followed the instructions but actually have either left something out, assumed something, or are not actually following any written instructions from the developers of the tool but from some other blog site that is out of date or just plain wrong.

-- Rod
    HEY! HEY HEY HEY!

He waited an ENTIRE two hours before giving up and going to File Coaster! TWO HOURS! WOE IS HIM!

Seriously, I don't know why you replied. Leave him and his lot to File Coaster -he doesn't need landscape messaging, virtual keyboards, fair dinkum app limit patches or any of that. It's just him and FileCoaster vs the world!
    oil - thank you - I never came across that error before. Restarted and it was hanging on Updating for quite a bit but now it is up.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    It fine. I just thought people would be more helpful. I did take less than 10 mins to critique my message. Oh and btw. I'm a programmer currently working at my job out in Redmond, WA. We're trying to adopt WebOS on campus because we heard the "community" was a good one.

Sorry for not having the time for such a detailed post.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

-- Rod
    i see that you are the guru but there simply isnt much more i can tell you....newest quickinstall 2.8....tweaks work fine. package installer works fine. it seems the preware install works fine....all through web os. no error messages but no preware either. It just simply doesnt appear.

Rob
    Last edited by rsamsel; 10/19/2009 at 06:30 PM.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcettison View Post
    HEY! HEY HEY HEY!

He waited an ENTIRE two hours before giving up and going to File Coaster! TWO HOURS! WOE IS HIM!

Seriously, I don't know why you replied. Leave him and his lot to File Coaster -he doesn't need landscape messaging, virtual keyboards, fair dinkum app limit patches or any of that. It's just him and FileCoaster vs the world!
    btw...you can do all the things you just mentioned in quickinstall....but I'm the slow one :-)

Thanks for the help guys! 4:30 have to head home for the day.
    Last edited by rsamsel; 10/19/2009 at 06:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jboucicaut View Post
    Mine is stuck on "Checking Version." Been doing it for a couple of hours now.
    Mine is stuck on "updating." I restarted the phone a few times. Maybe one of the feeds are down or slow. Worked fine earlier in the day.
    It fine. I just thought people would be more helpful. I did take less than 10 mins to critique my message.
    10 minutes by 2650 posts in this thread alone is quite a chunk of time - who's paying the opportunity cost of that time?

Oh and btw. I'm a programmer currently working at my job out in Redmond, WA.
    I don't follow how that is relevant ..

We're trying to adopt WebOS on campus because we heard the "community" was a good one.
    That's a judgment only you can make.

Sorry for not having the time for such a detailed post.
    There are thousands and thousands of people who have installed and are using Preware without problems. Something in your environment must differ from the norm. Without a detailed post, we will never know what that difference is.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 10/19/2009 at 06:49 PM.
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Mine is stuck on "updating." I restarted the phone a few times. Maybe one of the feeds are down or slow. Worked fine earlier in the day.
    Disable all the feeds that are not from preware.org and see if that helps.

-- Rod
    Disable all the feeds that are not from preware.org and see if that helps.
    It's working now...it figures that as soon as I post about it, it starts working.