Page 135 of 305 FirstFirst ... 3585125130131132133134135136137138139140145185235 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,700 of 6094
  1. #2681  
    I apologize if this has been asked before...but there is so much information on these forums that it's hard to find a definitive answer.

    I have installed PreWare and Package Manager Service...along with a few homebrew apps and Fair Dinkum.

    Do I need to uninstall any of these before the next WebOS update? If I install any themes, do these need to be deleted as well?

    Thank you for answering my questions.
  2. DavidF78's Avatar
    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #2682  
    Themes and patches only, apps aren't a problem.
  3. #2683  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncox88 View Post
    I just bought a Palm Pre in the UK today. I've managed to install a few patches but others give the same error "Hunk #[number] FAILED at [number]".

    Is it fixable or is it down to outdated firmware or something?

    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    Yes, It's because the GSM pre's are running 1.1.3, and not 1.2.1 (which the patches are created against.)
    For some patches that will be an issue it just depends. Are they really on a version number different than the rest of us? I thought palm wasn't going to maintain multiple (what's the term I'm looking for? parallel?) versions of webOS and that all webOS devices would run the same. This particular thing is a real issue with RIM with every blackberry having it's own OS version to be maintained and fixed etc. Seems counter productive and is obvious it exponentially increases the time it take to do every single little tiny thing.
  4.    #2684  
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    For some patches that will be an issue it just depends. Are they really on a version number different than the rest of us? I thought palm wasn't going to maintain multiple (what's the term I'm looking for? parallel?) versions of webOS and that all webOS devices would run the same. This particular thing is a real issue with RIM with every blackberry having it's own OS version to be maintained and fixed etc. Seems counter productive and is obvious it exponentially increases the time it take to do every single little tiny thing.
    Obviously some will work if the file it patches isn't different between 1.1.3 and 1.2.x.

    While I don't know the reason for different versions, I would guess that they simply weren't done with 1.2.x when they started putting 1.1.3 on all the GSM production units.

    I thought I read that they plan to bring everyone to the same version with 1.3.
  5. #2685  
    I just updated to .94 after .93.
    It keeps saying "updating" without actually loading anything.
    I did that whole patch uninstall thing last update to go to the new patch feed. After Ive updated, its not working now.
  6.    #2686  
    Quote Originally Posted by free hurricane View Post
    I just updated to .94 after .93.
    It keeps saying "updating" without actually loading anything.
    I did that whole patch uninstall thing last update to go to the new patch feed. After Ive updated, its not working now.
    Are you on wifi?

    Some people have reported trouble updating some of the feeds while they're on wifi. You could try it over evdo, or switch off some feeds and see if it updates.
  7. #2687  
    It is working on evdo but not wifi. Its fine for now, but I get bad evdo at home. I hop it gets fixed soon.

    Thanks a lot guys. Preware is the most essential app on the Pre.
  8. #2688  
    Quote Originally Posted by free hurricane View Post
    It is working on evdo but not wifi. Its fine for now, but I get bad evdo at home. I hop it gets fixed soon.

    Thanks a lot guys. Preware is the most essential app on the Pre.
    The problem seems to be with the PreYourMind feed and maybe some of the others not hosted at preware.org ...

    Best thing to do is go into the feeds management page, and disable the feeds that do not have preware.org listed in the URL, one by one, until you find the one which is causing the problem. Let us know which one (or ones) it is.

    Note that preware.org feeds should be fine on evdo and wifi.

    The problem is not in Preware or preware.org as far as we know, but somewhere in the network routes to some of the third-party feeds.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  9. #2689  
    i have preware on my phone and i installed the package thing but everytime i turn on preware it says "the package manager service is not running. did you remember to install it? of you did, perhaps you should try rebooting your phone." what's wrong when i first tryed installing them i accidently installed both at the same time did that mess it up
  10. #2690  
    Quote Originally Posted by lazrdragon View Post
    i have preware on my phone and i installed the package thing but everytime i turn on preware it says "the package manager service is not running. did you remember to install it? of you did, perhaps you should try rebooting your phone." what's wrong when i first tryed installing them i accidently installed both at the same time did that mess it up
    Close Preware, wait 30 seconds, open it again. WebOS services take a while to start after you boot the phone.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  11. #2691  
    when i installed them at first my phone didn't reboot and my evdo stayed on
  12. #2692  
    Quote Originally Posted by lazrdragon View Post
    when i installed them at first my phone didn't reboot and my evdo stayed on
    What program did you use to install them?

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  13. czeitner's Avatar
    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    #2693  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The problem seems to be with the PreYourMind feed and maybe some of the others not hosted at preware.org ...

    Best thing to do is go into the feeds management page, and disable the feeds that do not have preware.org listed in the URL, one by one, until you find the one which is causing the problem. Let us know which one (or ones) it is.

    Note that preware.org feeds should be fine on evdo and wifi.

    The problem is not in Preware or preware.org as far as we know, but somewhere in the network routes to some of the third-party feeds.

    Patches are the best, but I have a thing for the Themes and can't seem to live without them.... Help.

    -- Rod
    I am having this same issue. Where or How do I find the "Feeds Management Page" so i can disable these feeds. Also, I cant seem to install "Themes" anymore. IF I get Preware to Run, I try to install a Theme it doesen't take. Even if I install via the IPK on Quick Install it won't take. any Ideas?
  14. #2694  
    i used webos quick install and i followed the directions but i downloaded both package service and preware and installed that at the same time
  15. #2695  
    Quote Originally Posted by czeitner View Post
    Where or How do I find the "Feeds Management Page" so i can disable these feeds.
    Top right button on the Preferences page.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  16. #2696  
    Quote Originally Posted by lazrdragon View Post
    i used webos quick install and i followed the directions but i downloaded both package service and preware and installed that at the same time
    Don't the directions say to install them separately, not at the same time?

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  17. #2697  
    yeah it was accidental i clicked on both then hit install i unclicked preware but it was to late they installed so did that completely mess it up
  18. #2698  
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    Obviously some will work if the file it patches isn't different between 1.1.3 and 1.2.x.

    While I don't know the reason for different versions, I would guess that they simply weren't done with 1.2.x when they started putting 1.1.3 on all the GSM production units.

    I thought I read that they plan to bring everyone to the same version with 1.3.
    That makes sense. Perhaps 1.1.3 was an internal update that wasn't pushed to the general public but they loaded on stuff in stock. It is the version number that made me think they were beginning to maintain parallel versions since there was never a 1.1.3 update.
  19. #2699  
    i figured it out if anyone else ****s up like me and installs both the package service and preware at the same time just reboot your phone then leave preware on the phone and the package service goes away then use webos quick install to install the package service again with preware already installed and it all works out
  20. czeitner's Avatar
    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    #2700  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Top right button on the Preferences page.

    -- Rod
    Thanks

    OK, so now I go into the feeds and it doesn't list all the Feeds. Is this because it's not updating. When Preware loads, it just says updating or checking version, but never loads completeley.
    Last edited by czeitner; 10/16/2009 at 08:09 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions