Page 131 of 305 FirstFirst ... 3181121126127128129130131132133134135136141181231 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,620 of 6094
  1. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoogleNerd View Post
    I just asked the same question in anthor thread. Just got my Pre Friday, and I'm still reading up on Preware.

I'm concerned about what happens before and after an OS patch. I realize HB apps might be broken due to the thier beta nature, but what should I do before an OS upgrade?

Yes, help understanding the consequences of Preware would be nice...thanks!
    The risks are minimal. There's always the remote chance while applying patches and themes and all that good stuff that you'll "brick" your phone, which means you'll have to reflash the OS. No biggie.

Preware and webOS Quick Install both make the removal of patches/tweaks/themes a breeze.

I would suggest checking out the Preware thread in the homebrew forum, and poking around on the webos-internals webpage.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    to start with i have updated and re-installed novacom, java...god knows how many times...java site says i'm fine, novacom functions for all other needs...i have everything in order according to webOS quick install guidelines...

when i try to launch the quick install the java6 machine kicks up and then i get an error saying "unable to launch application" when i hit details i get this...

CouldNotLoadArgumentException[ Could not load file/URL specified: C:\Users\dsuycott\AppData\Local\Temp\javaws8]
    at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

i'm running vista home prem. 32bit SP1

webOs 1.2.1

thanks to any and all...

d
    Thanks for the replys...it helps...

I guess I'm just stressing over getting the phone setup juuust how you like it and then an OS upgrade blowing it some or all. I'm not too worried about data as I'm syncing to a exchange server for contacts/mail, usually email photos I want to keep to myself, etc. I guess it's just the time and trouble. Hopfully, going forward, things will get a bit more automated...

EDIT: WOW...that PReware thread is looooong... Again, thanks for the help...time for a bit of reading!
    Last edited by GoogleNerd; 10/13/2009 at 07:16 PM.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsuycott View Post
    to start with i have updated and re-installed novacom, java...god knows how many times...java site says i'm fine, novacom functions for all other needs...i have everything in order according to webOS quick install guidelines...

when i try to launch the quick install the java6 machine kicks up and then i get an error saying "unable to launch application" when i hit details i get this...

CouldNotLoadArgumentException[ Could not load file/URL specified: C:\Users\dsuycott\AppData\Local\Temp\javaws8]

webOs 1.2.1

thanks to any and all...

d
    when you download Quick Install, right click and Save As and save it somewhere you know where it is and try running.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

webOs 1.2.1

thanks to any and all...

d
    when downloading Quick Install, right click and Save As on the download link and save it somewhere you know where it is and run it that way.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

webOs 1.2.1

thanks to any and all...

d
    asdf
    My preware is not working i open it up and it doesnt do anything when i try to click on any in the app. Also i tried to update it has been trying to update for hrs now. Any ideas how to fix this problem.
    I installed preware and no it is not working anymore i open it up and it doesnt bring up any thing to click on when i update it it takes hrs and never updates. any ideas also my webos quick install is not reconizing my pre. Thank you
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman82 View Post
    My preware is not working i open it up and it doesnt do anything when i try to click on any in the app. Also i tried to update it has been trying to update for hrs now. Any ideas how to fix this problem.
    Im having the same problem. I tried uninstalling the Package manager service and then rebooting my phone and reinstalling it, then tried to install preware and im getting a message on my pre that keeps saying "The package manager service is not running. Did you remember to install it? If you did, perhaps you should try rebooting your phone". Any thoughts on what I should do??? Idk what to do.
    you need to Quick Install, package program files or something like that. Just uninstall preware then re install and it will tell you. Just did it to my wife.
    package manager service
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman82 View Post
    I installed preware and no it is not working anymore i open it up and it doesnt bring up any thing to click on when i update it it takes hrs and never updates. any ideas also my webos quick install is not reconizing my pre. Thank you
    You need to uninstall and then reinstall the Package Manager Service.

Please read the Preware installation instructions for more details.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Hey, looks like I found a way to make this work, not really a fix.
    1. Downloaded latest verson of Quick Install (2.81) aka QI.

2. Uninstalled Package Manager Service and Preware via QI and restarted device

3. Manually uninstalled all tweaks via QI and restrarted device.

4. Manually Uninstalled all patches via QI and restarted device.

5. Installed Emergency Patch Recovery (EPR) and restated device numerous times until it was gone. Some instructions for the EPR state that it is suppose to uninstall itself. I noticed this was not happening so I restared the device until it no longer showed up. This patch is found in QI/Tools/Tweaks/Online Repository/Emergency Patch Recovery. After I installed it, I did not see any change on the device nor did it prompt me that anything was done. I check to see if it was there by going to QI/Tools/Device Management/ and looking under Applications. After restart you check to see if it is still there by accessing QI/Tools/Device Management/ and looking under Applications. If it is still there restart until it no longer shows up.

6. Recheck everything in QI to make sure everiythig has been uninstalled and nothing was missed especially tweaks I notice some tweaks did not go away until EPR uninstalled.

7. Install Package Manager Service via QI and restart device.

8. Install Preware via QI and restart device. I did not open Preware until after restart.

Mine worked from there. I have been able to install apps, tweaks and themes.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by runner77 View Post
    I'm also having this same problem this afternoon.

I've been using Preware and Package Manager Service the past 3-4 months and have never run into this issue.

I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, and rebooting about 5 times today using Quick Install 2.72 and I'm still getting the "P.M.S. not installed or please reboot" error.

Please help.
    My fix was for this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by ravsteve View Post
    I used WebOS Quick INstall to install Package Manager, then rebooted my Pre and then afterward used WebOS Quick Install to install Preware.

When I launch Preware I get an error message saying that: "The Package manager Service is not running. Did you remember to install it? If you did, perhaps you should try rebooting our phone."

When I click OK on the error message, Preware opens but all the items are grayed out and inaccessible.

I have tried rebooting but still get he same error.

What am I doing wrong? Can someone help?
    This one also...sorry for so many posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by BScheu18 View Post
    Where can I find the emergency patch remover?

Thanks.
    You find it in Preware itself. List the Patches by alpha, scroll down to Emergency Patch Recovery. Install this. I know that sounds strange, but the patch runs a script to do the patch removals and then removes itself.

Please make sure you read the description before running it. Right now you have to make sure you have to remove your theme (if you've installed one) first.

Thanks!
    I had my pre replaced by sprint today - so I installed preware using webos quick install. When I start the preware program, the update screen lasts half a second and the feeds page shows no programs themes updates or patches. I've tried uninstalling preware through device management on webos quick install and then reinstalling it- still doesnt work. Please help...
    did u install package manager service first?
    yes i did
    try installing again first the package manager and preware and then restart!