Page 13 of 305 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182363113 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    ya preware still acting funny where sometimes it takes so freaking long to load. right now after 4 tries still no load.. i am rebooting pre to try again. but ya there is some issue dunno what it is.
    I had similar issues, so I just installed the new version from WebOSquickinstall.
    Actually that didn't work. and now it updated automatically.
    Preware is telling me to update "Package Manager Service" but then it tells me that I have to use Quick Install to update it. I am running Preware 8.0. Do I need to do anything?
    Laissez Faire
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If would be really helpful if everyone precisely followed the installation, upgrade, and removal instructions in the Preware documentation ....

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

Then if something goes wrong, at least we have a known set of steps that people took, and if something doesn't work we can update those same wiki instructions to address the problem.

-- Rod
    I am about to update but I just wanted to make sure before I start. I am pretty sure I know the answer to this but just wanted to make sure I was correct and it is not stated in your link to do this.

Basically, does it need to be in dev mode to update? My guess would be that it does and I am going to put mine in anyway, but I just wanted to make it clear to anyone else that might have the same question.
    When I open preware, it always hangs on the "loading" screen.
    XV6700>Moto Q>U740>Omnia i910>Palm Pre
    well after reading the forum like I was supposed to do :P i found that I am running 1.0.3 lol
    XV6700>Moto Q>U740>Omnia i910>Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    Working great, I used it to try out lots of apps. (Well, last night. Today it's eternal "Loading". Presumably some transient issue.)

Think we could have some way of marking off apps we've tried and removed? The notion is that after a remove it could ask "thumbs down?", and from then on whenever you come back into that category that item shows "thumbs down on 9/1/09 and no update since then". Or something like that. Just an aid for failing user memory.

Community rating like the App Catalog has is fine. What I'm looking for is my personal binary rating.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet greggo View Post
    I didn't remove the package manager. I deleted ....stuff deleted.....

I always keep my phone in dev mode. I turned it off and also got the NEWS (never ending wheel spinning). When I went back into dev mode it started up fine. Makes sense, as I think you have to be in dev mode to install apps outside of the App Catalog.
    FWIW, I use Preware and do not keep my phone in Dev mode. Might be just a rumor, but I read early on that Dev mode caused the Pre to run slower.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    I did not know there was a 60 program limit for the app catalog. I thought there was just a space limit. Very strange they set it up that way. Anyone figured out a patch / hach to go above that limit.

Funny I may have to delete 30 of my homebrew just to add three app catalog programs. Only to add the homebrew right back.
    I am wondering.....remember that the stock Pre only has 3 launcher pages. So, if 60 apps are added the pages get really, really long.

I'm thinking the app limit is there because of some launcher page icon limit, but I do not know how to check the Pre code to find out for sure.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Just wondering why a couple of programs from the precentral feed aren't in Preware or are not the most up to date version. Pack 'n' Track is already installed on my pre and I figure that's the only reason why it's even showing up on Preware. It's about 3 revisions old and would like to update and I can with quickinstall but I thought this may indicate that there is a problem with either precentral's feed or preware's feed reader.
    Last edited by jnk5y; 09/02/2009 at 12:32 PM.
    for kicks i installed it again i guess i like playing w/ fire... and once again unbearably slow. pre ran so freaking sluggish. i managed to get back to preware and hit remove... jumped with a message saying preware does not support removal of services. then after that message started running great and orientation works much better for browser email and messaging. much smoother.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    oh i know there's gonna be problems....w.e i installed the service i even rebooted just in case...the reboot took over 5 minutes...i also rebooted bc my phone kept being "phone offline" then the phone woke up offline so i turned on airplane mode and turn it back off and now we're good...its still a bit slow like b4 but ill give it time

EDIT: just now it got faster

EDIT2: now it just made my pre super fast...screen orientation is lightning fast

I think your minds are playing tricks on you, I'm not sure how your orientation has gotten faster by installing the accelservice. I have not done much with it since I made it because there didn't seem to be a ton of interest for it. I was hoping we would get some nice advanced accelerometer applications that require higher sampling rates.

Anyhow, the service itself simply exposes functions that allow applications to control the sampling rate. Installing the service should have 0 effect on the sampling rate unless and until an application calls the setFreq() method and raises the frequency.

I will look into the slowdown problem you both have reported, although I think this has more to do with the service restart than the accelservice doing something awry. I would also love if we could start getting people to test various frequencies and their overall effects (orientation, hiccups, battery life etc...)
    If would be really helpful if everyone precisely followed the installation, upgrade, and removal instructions in the Preware documentation ....

Then if something goes wrong, at least we have a known set of steps that people took, and if something doesn't work we can update those same wiki instructions to address the problem.

-- Rod
    Actually, I followed the upgrade instructions to the letter and it did not work. My steps:

1. update the package manager through Preware (it DID tell me install was successful)

2. update Preware through Preware. It did NOT close itself. When I closed and reopened it it was still the previous version. I got the NEWS, and after several tries to open (I let it run one time for a good 20 minutes while I kept hitting the screen to make it stay on) I deleted Preware and used WOSQI to reinstall first the package manager, then Preware. After that it works fine, except there are still times I get the NEWS. After a few tries it will usually open.

I would suggest either putting the install instructions on the splash page in Preware, or making it clear you need to visit the homepage to get the instructions. Most people are just going to hit the update button, not knowing they need to follow specific steps.
    can you please help me. ive already put filecoaster on mt pe awhile ago. now i want the pre brew thing idid all thwe steps and how do i open the webos quick install..
    Quote Originally Posted by todd007e View Post
    can you please help me. ive already put filecoaster on mt pe awhile ago. now i want the pre brew thing idid all thwe steps and how do i open the webos quick install..
    There is a tutorial on using several methods for installing programs, including the WebOS Quick Install. It is item number three on This_Page
  14.    #254  
    Oil.... i liked your old avatar
    I liked it too. But it was pretty tall, this new one fits much better.

hey rod....does the terminal app have to be installed with the terminal service plugin and also is it dangerous to install it on the pre?
    The "this application requires a script" is merely a warning, we didn't want other apps to be able to use the package manager service to download and run scripts without your knowledge. All the scripts that accompany apps currently in preware are OK to run.

Quote Originally Posted by cheryl101 View Post
    How do i get the third button to appear. I only have the + and -
    You need to update your version of WebOS Quick Install. I believe the current version is 2.03.

Quote Originally Posted by geneziz View Post
    Question? I have Preware v0.7.7 and when I launch it, it says updating and the circle spins and spins. How long is it supposed to update for? or am I doing something wrong?
    It shouldn't take too long to update (if you have a good internet connection.) And try to not let your pre fall asleep while its updating/loading. (you can do this by tapping the screen.)

Quote Originally Posted by lordbah View Post
    Today it's eternal "Loading". Presumably some transient issue.)
    Yes, Right now, the fix is to not let the phone go to sleep. Tap the screen to keep it awake till its done loading. (but obviously if it seems stuck, restart preware.)

Quote Originally Posted by jnk5y View Post
    Just wondering why a couple of programs from the precentral feed aren't in Preware or are not the most up to date version.
    This was brought up in #webos-internals, its a parsing error from the feed. We're working on correcting it. So far the list of "not appearing apps" is Twee and Pack 'n' Track. If you find any others, let us know. We'll get them fixed as soon as we can.

Well, I think I answered everything that wasn't addressed in the last 3 pages
    Last edited by oil; 09/02/2009 at 01:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet greggo View Post
    Actually, I followed the upgrade instructions to the letter and it did not work. My steps:

1. update the package manager through Preware (it DID tell me install was successful)

2. update Preware through Preware. It did NOT close itself. When I closed and reopened it it was still the previous version. I got the NEWS, and after several tries to open (I let it run one time for a good 20 minutes while I kept hitting the screen to make it stay on) I deleted Preware and used WOSQI to reinstall first the package manager, then Preware. After that it works fine, except there are still times I get the NEWS. After a few tries it will usually open.

I would suggest either putting the install instructions on the splash page in Preware, or making it clear you need to visit the homepage to get the instructions. Most people are just going to hit the update button, not knowing they need to follow specific steps.
    I followed the update instructions to a T and it worked perfectly, updating me to the most current version. Here is how I did it which is exactly the method they describe on the wiki.

1. Put my phone into developer mode.
    2. Waited until the device reset and then opened up Preware version 0.7.7
    3. Went into the application updates section
    4. Clicked on the service update (it prompted me that it was complete)
    5. Waited approximately 5 minutes because sometimes it seems like services take longer to install
    6. Closed Preware only to open it back up again and clicked on the Preware update. (probably don't need to close)
    7. Waited a few minutes and took my Pre out of developer mode resetting the device.

This is all I did and it is working just fine.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    This was brought up in #webos-internals, its a parsing error from the feed. We're working on correcting it. So far the list of "not appearing apps" is Twee and Pack 'n' Track. If you find any others, let us know. We'll get them fixed as soon as we can.

Well, I think I answered everything that wasn't addressed in the last 3 pages
    The only other program is Mine Searcher.

Twee as well as Translator are in the feed but don't point to anything b/c they are going to the app catalog soon. They took the ipk off of the precentral server but not their names from the feed.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts

-- Rod
    Why not copy that information to the first post of this thread, where people will know to look for it? Right now the first post of the thread doesn't even say "for full instructions, including how to update, see our Wiki at ...."

After reading your post I assumed there was something complicated and too long to cut and paste, maybe with pictures, diagrams, and charts, but the instructions just say:

Just use Preware to update itself. Make sure you update the Package Manager Service first, and the Preware application second. When you update the Package Manager Service, it will fail to tell you that it has completed the installation, but it will have installed fine. When you update the Preware application, the Preware application will immediately close after installation. Just restart Preware and you will be using the new version you just installed.
    hey rod....does the terminal app have to be installed with the terminal service plugin and also is it dangerous to install it on the pre?
    Please see the wiki page at

Application:Terminal - WebOS Internals

No WebOS Internals stuff is intentionally dangerous ;-) Many people are alpha testing the Terminal with no problems.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    Why not copy that information to the first post of this thread, where people will know to look for it? Right now the first post of the thread doesn't even say "for full instructions, including how to update, see our Wiki at ...."

After reading your post I assumed there was something complicated and too long to cut and paste, maybe with pictures, diagrams, and charts, but the instructions just say:
    The first post in this thread links directly to the Preware wiki page.

The Preware app homepage link also links directly to the same wiki page.

We keep the installation instructions up to date in *one* place - the wiki page.

Seriously, some people (not referring to you) just don't read documentation no matter where you put it or how blatantly you link to it. Those people will always have problems.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    Actually, the Twee application from PreCentral has removed the URL for the package. The author has done that for some reason. If the author removes the download URL from PreCentral, then we no longer list it in Preware.

-- Rod