Page 125 of 305 FirstFirst ... 2575115120121122123124125126127128129130135175225 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,500 of 6094
    Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    I can confirm 4 people I know up here with Pre's. After removal of the Package Service Manager and a reboot the App catalog worked normal and did not freeze or show a memory limit error. Upon reinstalling PSM and Preware, the app catalog once again froze and had a memory limit error.
    There is no-one disputing that people are having this problem. It doesn't matter how many people are having it. We still need the same high quality debugging information to be able to solve it. Just telling us that more people have the problem does not help solve it in any way.

Now, what is this "memory limit error" that you are talking about. Can someone please supply screenshots of these things?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I dont understand why would you start a new thread asking for help w/ preware instead of asking the DEV in his own thread?

I mean who better to ask than the guy who wrote and tested the software.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    There is no-one disputing that people are having this problem. It doesn't matter how many people are having it. We still need the same high quality debugging information to be able to solve it. Just telling us that more people have the problem does not help solve it in any way.

Now, what is this "memory limit error" that you are talking about. Can someone please supply screenshots of these things?

-- Rod
    I believe he means that the app catalog will say the memory is full, even if you have nearly 0 apps installed. I ran into this issue also when I had Package Manager installed. It is the same error message you would receive if the phone was truly full.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm21A View Post
    Ok i did it exactly the way you wanted hopefully this is more helpful. Test app i used is still lemonade app.
    OK, I have now been able to reproduce this problem.

If you are on the Linux command line, and type:

Code:
    luna-send -n 1 luna://com.palm.appinstaller/queryInstallCapacity '{"appId": "com.jason.app.lemonade", "size": 2805.083984375}'
    You can make the Pre UI hang for 30 seconds. If you also type "ps -ef" continually on another terminal connection to the Pre, you can see the "ipkg -o /var list" command being executed by the Palm appInstaller code.

So, the problem is in the Palm appInstaller code, not in the Package Manager Service. During that time, the Package Manager Service is installed, but is not active, and has no methods being called by anything else.

Now, it is true that the Package Manager Service is involved. The way that it seems to be involved is due to the number of available packages we have in the feeds.

Try the following:

1) Go into the Preference screen of Preware.
    2) Hit the FEEDS button top-right
    3) Turn OFF all the feeds

Then try the above luna-send command again. The "hang" is reduced to about 1 second.

My guess is that there is very inefficient code in the Palm appInstaller service which is doing something with the output of the "ipkg -o /var list" - which is restricted to the number of packages installed on your Pre when all feeds are disabled, but reports the complete set of all available packages (671 at the moment) when all feeds are enabled.

I expect they actually intended to call "ipkg -o /var list_installed" (which only reports the packages installed) to check the available space relative to the size of the /var partition, but they are actually now calling "ipkg -o /var list" (which reports *all* available packages), and this is probably the reason why people are seeing out of memory errors (since it is adding up the size of all *available* packages, instead of adding up the size of all *installed* packages).

So, the work-around is to go into Preware and disable all the feeds before doing anything with the Palm App Catalog.

We will work out a means of installing homebrew apps, plugins and services which avoids this issue.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 10/12/2009 at 02:44 AM.
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    My guess is that there is very inefficient code in the Palm appInstaller service which is doing something with the output of the "ipkg -o /var list" - which is restricted to the number of packages installed on your Pre when all feeds are disabled, but reports the complete set of all available packages (671 at the moment) when all feeds are enabled.
    My guess was correct. See http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...g-hanging.html for the analysis, and please continue discussion of this Palm App Catalog problem in that thread.

The work-around is to go into the Preware Preferences screen, hit the “Feeds” button in the top-right corner, and disable all the feeds while you use the Palm App Catalog application in another card. No need to exit the Feeds screen, just toggle all the button to “Off”, and then toggle them back to “On” when you’re finished with the App Catalog.

We will work out a longer term solution in the next few days, and I suspect we will be able to implement it in the next version of the Package Manager Service.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    I can confirm 4 people I know up here with Pre's. After removal of the Package Service Manager and a reboot the App catalog worked normal and did not freeze or show a memory limit error. Upon reinstalling PSM and Preware, the app catalog once again froze and had a memory limit error.
    Can you confirm whether the memory limit error occurs if all the feeds are disabled in Preware?

-- Rod
    OK, I have now been able to reproduce this problem.

If you are on the Linux command line, and type:

Code:
    luna-send -n 1 luna://com.palm.appinstaller/queryInstallCapacity '{"appId": "com.jason.app.lemonade", "size": 2805.083984375}'
    You can make the Pre UI hang for 30 seconds. If you also type "ps -ef" continually on another terminal connection to the Pre, you can see the "ipkg -o /var list" command being executed by the Palm appInstaller code.

So, the problem is in the Palm appInstaller code, not in the Package Manager Service. During that time, the Package Manager Service is installed, but is not active, and has no methods being called by anything else.

Now, it is true that the Package Manager Service is involved. The way that it seems to be involved is due to the number of available packages we have in the feeds.

Try the following:

1) Go into the Preference screen of Preware.
    2) Hit the FEEDS button top-right
    3) Turn OFF all the feeds

Then try the above luna-send command again. The "hang" is reduced to about 1 second.

I expect they actually intended to call "ipkg -o /var list_installed" (which only reports the packages installed) to check the available space relative to the size of the /var partition, but they are actually now calling "ipkg -o /var list" (which reports *all* available packages), and this is probably the reason why people are seeing out of memory errors (since it is adding up the size of all *available* packages, instead of adding up the size of all *installed* packages).

So, the work-around is to go into Preware and disable all the feeds before doing anything with the Palm App Catalog.

We will work out a means of installing homebrew apps, plugins and services which avoids this issue.

-- Rod
    I disabled all the feeds in Preware like you suggest, it doesn't freeze anymore but still gives me the "Sorry, Not enough memory, please delete an application you have installed to make room." error...

Serge
    Can you confirm whether the memory limit error occurs if all the feeds are disabled in Preware?

-- Rod
    Yes, it still does.

Serge
    Quote Originally Posted by turbobo View Post
    Yes, it still does.

Serge
    OK, looks like I will need to doctor my Pre down from a 2GB /var partition back to a normal size /var partition to debug this one ...

-- Rod
    I disabled all the feeds in Preware like you suggest, it doesn't freeze anymore but still gives me the "Sorry, Not enough memory, please delete an application you have installed to make room." error...

Serge
    How many applications do you have installed?

-- Rod
    How many applications do you have installed?

-- Rod
    From Preware: 27 apps, 2 linux apps, 36 patches, 3 services, 1 theme, 9 unknown.

From the apps catalog; less than 10

Serge
    From Preware: 27 apps, 2 linux apps, 36 patches, 3 services, 1 theme, 9 unknown.

From the apps catalog; less than 10

Serge
    Oh, you're coming up against the existing known problem with the Palm App Catalog, not the new memory limit problem that splmonster was referring to.

See the many other threads on PreCentral on how to work around that one.

-- Rod
    Oh, you're coming up against the existing known problem with the Palm App Catalog, not the new memory limit problem that splmonster was referring to.

See the many other threads on PreCentral on how to work around that one.

-- Rod
    But I didn't have that problem before the new Preware version??

Serge
    But I didn't have that problem before the new Preware version??

Serge
    There could be any number of reasons (e.g. emails received, log messages, etc) which could push you over the free space limit that Palm imposes.

Unless you can reproduce the problem with less than 20 packages installed, then it's the same problem as before, not a new problem.

-- Rod
    Does the Default Theme have to be uninstalled? Or just ones you've added.
    There could be any number of reasons (e.g. emails received, log messages, etc) which could push you over the free space limit that Palm imposes.

Unless you can reproduce the problem with less than 20 packages installed, then it's the same problem as before, not a new problem.

-- Rod
    You were right, sorry about that.

I went down to 18 apps. Did a reset. Then in the Apps catalog I hit download for an app . It froze fo 40 secs (I didn't uncheck the feeds in pref), but it started to download after.

Serge
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I finally found Luna Manager! It wasn't showing up in Preware, but I found it in Preload! Nothing is wrong with my Package Manager Service or Preware, but when I restarted JAVA with Luna Manager (which appears as though I never even needed) I got the same error that everyone else seems to be getting "Package Manager Service is not running"! My theory is that this is an incorrect error with Luna Manager or that when the network connection restarts it stops running the Package Manager Service thus giving you the error. My advice is to ignor this message!

Is it just me or does the new update of Preware from yesterday cause quite a few apps to show up in an "unknown" category? Does anyone know why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Habidabad View Post
    Is it just me or does the new update of Preware from yesterday cause quite a few apps to show up in an "unknown" category? Does anyone know why?
    Yes, that's intentional.

Any packages that are currently installed, but do not appear in any of the Feeds enabled in Preware, will show up under Unknown.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    OK, looks like I will need to doctor my Pre down from a 2GB /var partition back to a normal size /var partition to debug this one ...

-- Rod
    Rod, thanks so much for all of the work you guys do and the trouble you go through (like doctoring your Pre) to make our lives better!
    My Programs: TipIt(TipCalc), FillUps
    Rwhitby IT WORKS! All i can say is thank you! thank you! thank you! Keep up the great work.