webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  WebOS Internals > Preware
Preware
  Closed Thread

Old 10/11/2009, 05:51 PM   #2441 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietStorm21A View Post
i will do a test with package manager service uninstalled and installed because thats the only way where it wont freeze and freeze. Does the message file reset after restart or does it keep one big log?
If you delete the messages file, and then reboot, it will give the easiest and smallest file to debug when you replicate the problem after the reboot.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Old 10/11/2009, 05:51 PM   #2442 (permalink)

Please Help!

Already install WOQI but when I try to choose WebOS Internals Feed (all) DropDown selection is not available.
Old 10/11/2009, 05:56 PM   #2443 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
That indicates a serious error in the packaging of that theme. You should report this to the maintainer of that package (we do not maintain the packages, we maintain the tool which allows you to install them).

-- Rod
OK. My phone gets this error on every theme I try to install, but my wife's phone installed just fine. Does it have anything to do with patches I have installed?

Edit: I got it working. I uninstalled all my patches and then it showed I had a theme already installed. Removed it and then reinstalled everything.

Last edited by alansned; 10/11/2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10/11/2009, 05:58 PM   #2444 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
I seemed to no longer have memory or freezing issues in the app catalog once removing the Package Service Manager.
BTW, nothing changed in the Package Manager service relating to memory management since version 0.9.0 ...

-- Rod
Old 10/11/2009, 06:00 PM   #2445 (permalink)

When I try to install patches using Preware I keep getting an error message. It says

Patch
Error Installing: See IPKG Log

Anyone know why or what I need to do?
Old 10/11/2009, 06:10 PM   #2446 (permalink)

Quote:
BTW, nothing changed in the Package Manager service relating to memory management since version 0.9.0 ...

-- Rod
Very wierd could it also be the gnu & diffstat linux tools?

Old 10/11/2009, 06:19 PM   #2447 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Very wierd could it also be the gnu & diffstat linux tools?
No, they are simple binary command line programs that only operate when called from the post-install scripts of other package, and have absolutely no memory or execution footprint or any other impact on the system when you are not actively installing such a package.

Can you confirm that this happens even with absolutely no patches, tweaks or themes installed or enabled?

-- Rod
Old 10/11/2009, 06:22 PM   #2448 (permalink)

I just used QI to automatically install whatever was missing, even though i had already installed package man serv. thru the repository, it still said i didnt have all files needed so of course i said OK. But now i see here that it's a problem...however, i do have PMS 9.7 and Preware 9.4. So I should be fine, right? I havent put anything but homebrews, and rooted my phone so far, no tweaks or themes because there seems to be issues both here and QI...what is everyone else doing for tweaks that also work with themes...

Also, is Preware still noncompliant with Themes?

Last edited by holley2583; 10/11/2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10/11/2009, 06:24 PM   #2449 (permalink)

Quote:

-- Rod
I dunno, but this seemed to resolve my issue.

IRC chat
#webos-internals
Old 10/11/2009, 06:28 PM   #2450 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by holley2583 View Post
I just used QI to automatically install whatever was missing, even though i had already installed package man serv. thru the repository, it still said i didnt have all files needed so of course i said OK. But now i see that it's a problem...I just dr. my phone...how can i check to see if i really do have the correct PMS installed?
You can check it in Preware in the Installed Packages list.

You can check it in WebOS Quick Install in the Device Management screen - click on the Package Manager Service name in the User-Installed Content list and a window with the version information will pop up.

-- Rod
Old 10/11/2009, 06:29 PM   #2451 (permalink)

Quote:
No, they are simple binary command line programs that only operate when called from the post-install scripts of other package, and have absolutely no memory or execution footprint or any other impact on the system when you are not actively installing such a package.

Can you confirm that this happens even with absolutely no patches, tweaks or themes installed or enabled?

-- Rod
i removed preware & patches and all components (PMS, GNU, & Diffstat). I have no tweaks, patches, or themes and was able to download fine with no problem. I am going to run another test with just with pms before i submit the log to you.

Old 10/11/2009, 06:34 PM   #2452 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
i removed preware & patches and all components (PMS, GNU, & Diffstat). I have no tweaks, patches, or themes and was able to download fine with no problem. I am going to run another test with just with pms before i submit the log to you.
Thanks for doing all this - since none of the developers can reproduce the problem, we really depend upon people such as yourself who are able to give high quality debug information.

-- Rod
Old 10/11/2009, 06:41 PM   #2453 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for doing all this - since none of the developers can reproduce the problem, we really depend upon people such as yourself who are able to give high quality debug information.

-- Rod
Thank you & developers more for helping out and developing such a great program.

Old 10/11/2009, 06:58 PM   #2454 (permalink)

Quote:
You can check it in Preware in the Installed Packages list.

You can check it in WebOS Quick Install in the Device Management screen - click on the Package Manager Service name in the User-Installed Content list and a window with the version information will pop up.

-- Rod
I actually edited my post to say that i do in fact have both updated services, now my question is if it's possible to use autopatch with themes yet? I now have a clean slate after DRing cuz of leftover themes...at the moment i only have homebrews installed and im rooted...or whatever. Otherwise it seems like everything is working fine. thanks rwhitby...
Old 10/11/2009, 07:07 PM   #2455 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
I actually edited my post to say that i do in fact have both updated services, now my question is if it's possible to use autopatch with themes yet? I now have a clean slate after DRing cuz of leftover themes...at the moment i only have homebrews installed and im rooted...or whatever. Otherwise it seems like everything is working fine. thanks rwhitby...
If a theme touches the same files as a patch, at the moment there will be a problem. If the theme does not touch the same files as a patch, there will be no problem.

We are currently working with the theme packagers to make things interoperable.

-- Rod
Old 10/11/2009, 07:10 PM   #2456 (permalink)

Quote:

-- Rod
Here you go i did 4 test as you asked but kept one log.

Test 1 - No PMS Downlaod Lemonade App
Install Line: 6695 Time: 23:04:38
Uninstall Line: 6823 Time: 23:09:19

Test 2 - No PMS Downlaod Lemonade App
Install Line: 10381 Time: 23:20:34
Uninstall Line: 10601 Time: 23:25:18

Test 3 - PMS Installed Downlaod Lemonade App
Install Line: 13012 Time: 23:35:51
Uninstall Line: 13206 Time:23:39:45

Test 4 - PMS Installed Downlaod Lemonade App
Install Line: 15075 Time: 23:45:30
Did not uninstall when retrieved file.

messages.zip

Old 10/11/2009, 07:44 PM   #2457 (permalink)

Uh Oh, Now it's saying that i dont have diff stat and GNU patch installed, but it does say i do with QI...
Old 10/11/2009, 07:47 PM   #2458 (permalink)

Quote:
Preware currently has 67 patches available. All have descriptions, maintainer homepage and contact links, and screenshots. All these patches live as ipkg files in the preware.org webos-patches repository.
I am trying to contact the developer for the "Hide Nascar App" patch. I want to ask him to create a similar patch for hiding the Sprint app. In the description in Preware I see the home page as webos-internals.org, and the developer is noir, but no contact email. How do we contact the maintainers for these patches?
Old 10/11/2009, 07:48 PM   #2459 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Here you go i did 4 test as you asked but kept one log.

Test 1 - No PMS Downlaod Lemonade App
Install Line: 6695 Time: 23:04:38
Uninstall Line: 6823 Time: 23:09:19

Test 2 - No PMS Downlaod Lemonade App
Install Line: 10381 Time: 23:20:34
Uninstall Line: 10601 Time: 23:25:18

Test 3 - PMS Installed Downlaod Lemonade App
Install Line: 13012 Time: 23:35:51
Uninstall Line: 13206 Time:23:39:45

Test 4 - PMS Installed Downlaod Lemonade App
Install Line: 15075 Time: 23:45:30
Did not uninstall when retrieved file.

Attachment 34331
The Package Manager Service (ipkgservice) starts correctly at line 1615.

At line 2066 you run Preware.

At line 3472, ipkgservice starts correctly again (due to what looks like a phone reboot at line 2500).

Then at line 4617, ipkgservice and preware are uninstalled, and the ipkgservice is stopped correctly as part of that at line 4624.

At line 10601 it seems that lemonade is removed.

At line 10602, there is a strange line related to ipkgservice, which seems to be because there has not been a java restart since ipkgservice was removed (what did you use to remove it?)

At line 10603, there is a java service restart, but I cannot see what causes that java service restart. A java service restart will cause the phone to go offline and seem to hang for 30 seconds or so.

At line 10957, ipkgservice is started again, as a result of the java service restart at line 10603.

At line 12645, ipkgservice is started again.

At line 14720, ipkgservice is started again.

At what times did the hangs occur?

It seems that the Palm java-serviceboot process is terminating and being restarted on lines 588, 2448, 5365, 7180, 9057, 10631, 11534, 13678. Some of these times are when ipkgservice is not installed correct?

Can you perform the following tests and log the result, noting the times of each step, and the times when it hangs:

1) Use WebOS Quick Install to remove the Package Manager Service and Preware.

2) Remove the /var/log/messages file

3) Reboot the Pre

4) Use Palm's app catalog to install something.

5) Use Palm's app catalog to uninstall it.

6) Use WebOS Quick Install to install the Package Manager Service and Preware.

7) Reboot the Pre (just to be sure)

8) Wait for another 5 minutes after you think it has completed booting, to make sure everything has started properly.

9) Run Preware to make sure it is working.

10) Use Palm's app catalog to install something.

11) Use Palm's app catalog to uninstall it.

12) Use WebOS Quick Install to remove the Package Manager Service and Preware.

13) Reboot the Pre (just to be sure)

14) Wait for another 5 minutes after you think it has completed booting, to make sure everything has started properly.

15) Use Palm's app catalog to install something.

16) Use Palm's app catalog to uninstall it.

Thanks,

-- Rod
Old 10/11/2009, 07:55 PM   #2460 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Uh Oh, Now it's saying that i dont have diff stat and GNU patch installed, but it does say i do with QI...
What is saying it, and how is it saying it?

Assuming it was Preware, did you check the Linux Applicatons section in the Installed Packages list?

-- Rod
Closed Thread

Tags
1.3.5 upgrade, error, feeds, freeze, grey, install, issues, lockup, novacom, package manager service, patch, pms, preware, preware crash, preware fair dinkum, preware install, preware issues, program manager, quick install, reinstalling preware, text message problem, themes, virtual keyboard, webos quick install, webosquickintall

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0