Page 122 of 305 FirstFirst ... 2272112117118119120121122123124125126127132172222 ... LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,440 of 6094
    Quote Originally Posted by fgcchevy View Post
    thank again for your help and quick replies!!!

sure, anytime
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    My guess that you have a WebOS Quick Install tweak enabled which unhides the dev mode icon, and you're trying to install a Preware Patch which does the same thing. Note that the Patch program is telling you that something else has already modified the file from what it is expecting to see. So it fails safely without further touching the file.

You either need to disable the other tweak, or decide on just one way of doing things.

-- Rod
    Thanks for the reply Rod. I originally did have the Unhide Dev Mode Icon showing using Quick Install. Then I installed Preware - I like it's features better. So, I removed the Unhide Dev Mode Icon check box in Quick Install to use Preware for this patch. I have already decided to use only Preware for my patches (by the way, thanks for all the hard work and great program!!) Anyway, I had to get a new phone from other problems with Quick Install so I hadn't used any "tweaks" from that program. The Unhide Dev Mode Icon is not listed under the tweaks section - so I thought it was an application when I installed it, not a tweak.

To the point, my question is, am I ever going to be able to use Preware for this patch? Will the next Pre update fix this or is there something I can do to fix this? Thanks!

Update - I just ran the WebOS Repair utility for that file (thanks meandmypre) and it fixed the problem. I was able to apply the patch. Thanks for the help!!!
    Last edited by Mmillican; 10/11/2009 at 03:28 PM. Reason: update
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    webos repair helped fix the keyboard issue. I was able to find the file that had the keyboard patch and able to restore the mojo/builtins/palmInitFramework200_18.jsjsjs $that$ $I$ $am$ $guessing$ $had$ $to$ $do$ $with$ $the$ $v$.$keyboard$ $issue$.

Kudos! To the team or person that worked on the WebOsRepair project., now lets see if I can install the keyboard again working...

much thanks to Pioneer for his HELP>
    oh well, keyboard install failed again even after I used WebOS Repair. I don't really want to doctor my phone back to a clean slate...

With Best
    I would just like to say a big THANK YOU!! to all who developed and put their time into making this a better PRE then the stock version. Thank again.
    Quote Originally Posted by nexusgroove View Post
    oh well, keyboard install failed again even after I used WebOS Repair. I don't really want to doctor my phone back to a clean slate...

With Best
    Did you check "Override Compatibility" under the options tab when you ran it?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    are you sure about not removing all the patches. Becuase i am looking to upgrade my preware from 9.3 to 9.4. And when i went from 9.2 to 9.3 (about a week ago) the instructions said to use the emergency recovery, and that you MUST instal a package (i forgot the name i think its service package or something) but you have to instal it befor you instal preware. Everyone keeps talking about how whenever you update you have to remove all patches. I know this holds true to updates like webos but not for apps. So i am going to assum from what people have been writing, is that to go from preware 9.3 to 9.4 all you have to do is update the service package and then update preware, CORRECT? if i am correct just reply with y for yes....thanks for your time. It gets really confusing as you go down the thread becasue people give different advice. once again thanks for the time.
    Im trying to enable the "swipe to delete history" patch using preware but I keep getting a ipkg error saying that it can't find the file to patch. My phone is new...all other patches I've tried worked. Anyone have any ideas?
    Y i did the updates in the order it was suggested on other threads. But you did bring up one thing I didn't do, the override. I'm going to keep playing with it and see if I find the other packed that might be needed.

Thank you for your time in replying on my issue.

With best.!
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm21A View Post
    Hey Rwhitby there have been many users on the forum that been having major freezing issues of lasting around 30 sec - 1 min (in my case) for downloading & another minor freeze when installing apps from the app catalog. We have seem to figure the cause maybe the package manager service because once removed everything is fine and working properly. This is great & bad. Great because i am finally able to stop the freezing issue, bad because i lose a great program such as preware. I had the updated versions of Preware & Package Manger Service if that helps you troubleshoot the problem. I am also gonna link the threads in to which people where having the problems. Thanks for all your help in this matter.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...=1#post1967382
    http://forums.precentral.net/general...tall-apps.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...=1#post1967604

I should also note that i have a sprint pre running 1.2.1
    Thanks, we're aware of these reports. What we really need to be able to determine if the Package Manager Service really is the cause, or is just a symptom of some other problem, is the contents of /var/log/messages crossing one of these freezes.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    EPR is the answer! !! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by omi205 View Post
    are you sure about not removing all the patches. Becuase i am looking to upgrade my preware from 9.3 to 9.4. And when i went from 9.2 to 9.3 (about a week ago) the instructions said to use the emergency recovery, and that you MUST instal a package (i forgot the name i think its service package or something) but you have to instal it befor you instal preware. Everyone keeps talking about how whenever you update you have to remove all patches. I know this holds true to updates like webos but not for apps. So i am going to assum from what people have been writing, is that to go from preware 9.3 to 9.4 all you have to do is update the service package and then update preware, CORRECT? if i am correct just reply with y for yes....thanks for your time. It gets really confusing as you go down the thread becasue people give different advice. once again thanks for the time.
    Thanks, we're aware of these reports. What we really need to be able to determine if the Package Manager Service really is the cause, or is just a symptom of some other problem, is the contents of /var/log/messages crossing one of these freezes.

-- Rod
    I have the file in which you requested. I retrieved it through quick install since my phone isnt rooted. Should i post it or email it?
    I have the file in which you requested. I retrieved it through quick install since my phone isnt rooted. Should i post it or email it?
    Feel free to post it, or email it to support at webos-internals.org

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Feel free to post it, or email it to support at webos-internals.org

-- Rod
    I zipped the file. I hope i got the file you need was able to open fine in notepad++. The program i tested downloading when freezing happens is the lemonade app.

messages.zip
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I get an error trying to install a theme. Please help. I do not have a theme installed. Thanks.

The IPKG Log error goes something like this:

There is already a theme installed....
    Removing package com.prethemer.themes.866ec500c8 from root
    mkdir: cannot create directory '/var/usr/lib/webos-quick-install': File exists
    cat: cant' open '/media/internal/prethemer.txt: No such file or directory
    sh: 1: unknown operand
    (offline root mode: not running com.prethemer.themes.866ec500c8)
    I zipped the file. I hope i got the file you need was able to open fine in notepad++. The program i tested downloading when freezing happens is the lemonade app.

messages.zip
    Thanks. I took a look at that log, and the Package Manager Service is operating perfectly.

Do you have a fully reproducible test case (i.e. you can make it happen, then not happen, then happen again, then not happen again) which implicates the Package Manager Service?

Are you able to upload a log of that, and note the times of the four cases in the messages file please?

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by alansned View Post
    I get an error trying to install a theme. Please help. I do not have a theme installed. Thanks.

The IPKG Log error goes something like this:

There is already a theme installed....
    Removing package com.prethemer.themes.866ec500c8 from root
    mkdir: cannot create directory '/var/usr/lib/webos-quick-install': File exists
    cat: cant' open '/media/internal/prethemer.txt: No such file or directory
    sh: 1: unknown operand
    That indicates a serious error in the packaging of that theme. You should report this to the maintainer of that package (we do not maintain the packages, we maintain the tool which allows you to install them).

-- Rod
    I seemed to no longer have memory or freezing issues in the app catalog once removing the Package Service Manager.
    Preware & WebOS Internals Supporter
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Main_Page

IRC chat
    #webos-internals
    Thanks. I took a look at that log, and the Package Manager Service is operating perfectly.

Do you have a fully reproducible test case (i.e. you can make it happen, then not happen, then happen again, then not happen again) which implicates the Package Manager Service?

Are you able to upload a log of that, and note the times of the four cases in the messages file please?

-- Rod
    i will do a test with package manager service uninstalled and installed because thats the only way where it wont freeze and freeze. Does the message file reset after restart or does it keep one big log?
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPre View Post
    Ok.... looking to install Preware and found some confusing statements between the Preware package manager and the WebOSQI 2.72.

Looking at the OS internals wiki page for preware it lists a very easy step by step way to get preware, but at the end it states that the package manager service is wrong.

****** Snipped from bottom of Preware Wiki page on OS Internals.....
    If WebOS Quick Install offers to install the Package Manager Service automatically to enable tweaking, do not agree. It will install the wrong version. You must install it as detailed above.

I also found a post on one of the sticky threads that *seems* to imply that the 2.72 version does indeed point to the wrong package manager (as in not the latest version).

As I'm planning to install Preware I need to know if 2.72 is behind in its package manager and if so will I have to uninstall the package manager using 2.72 before I install the Preware via the Preware 'steps'?
    As long as you use WebOS Quick Install to install the Package Manager Service from the repository (third button on the right), and you confirm that it has installed version 0.9.7, then you'll be fine.

If you try and apply a tweak before doing this, and you allow it to automatically install the Package Manager Service itself, it will install version 0.9.4 by default (unfortunately, it's hard-coded to that in WebOS Quick Install, instead of getting the latest version available), and then you will have problems.

-- Rod