Page 12 of 305 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516172262112 ... LastLast
    for kicks i installed it again i guess i like playing w/ fire... and once again unbearably slow. pre ran so freaking sluggish. i managed to get back to preware and hit remove... jumped with a message saying preware does not support removal of services. then after that message started running great and orientation works much better for browser email and messaging. much smoother.
    Last edited by jack87; 09/02/2009 at 02:21 AM.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    I did read of wut the service does and decided to install it to c if it would improve the accel of the pre...but all it did was slow my pre down to the bottom...at 1st I didn't know wut caused the slowness so that's y I did the doctor thing but when I installed it again I noticed it was exactly the accel service and I'm wondering...y does it slow the pre down...is it meant to do that? I'm sorry if you thought I had a different attitude...just want to know exactly y it slowed my pre down
    Sorry maxima2k53, it was not my intent to make you the target of my generalisation - I've removed it from the post above.

The accelservice and accelexample was written by eguadet (who also wrote the Virtual Keyboard), and is known to work fine for at least some people. Unfortunately, I can't test it, cause tilting my laptop doesn't seem to affect the Emulator ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    for kicks i installed it again i guess i like playing w/ fire... and once again unbearably slow. pre ran so freaking sluggish. i managed to get back to preware and hit remove... jumped with a message saying preware does not support removal of services. then after that message started running great and orientation works much better for browser email and messaging. much smoother.
    For how long does it make the Pre sluggish? 1 minute? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? 30 minutes?

We know that the current postinstall action for services (which has to restart all services on the Pre) makes things slow for a period of time.

Does the sluggishness persist after a reboot?

And does the accel example app work?

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    One question, and I apologize if this has already been addressed, before updating webOS should I remove the virtual keyboard patch using Quick Install or is the "Remove" button in Preware sufficient?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by hey_zeus View Post
    One question, and I apologize if this has already been addressed, before updating webOS should I remove the virtual keyboard patch using Quick Install or is the "Remove" button in Preware sufficient?

Thanks.
    The Remove button should work fine (at least it did on the Emulator). You will probably want to reboot the Pre after removing the Patch.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    For how long does it make the Pre sluggish? 1 minute? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? 30 minutes?

We know that the current postinstall action for services (which has to restart all services on the Pre) makes things slow for a period of time.

-- Rod
    Last time around it lasted over 15hours rendering the pre useless no matter how many times i reset the phone. that is when i did web os doctor. this time around i had it going for about 5min till i tried removing it using preware after the attempt to remove the service failed on preware message explained how preware does not remove services and immediately after the message was gone the pre is now running smooth as ever maybe a little more smoothly the service is still there and i can tell in the example which works fine. the graphics sometimes get a little glitchy and the metter goes past its limit sometimes to but the example works..
    Last edited by jack87; 09/02/2009 at 02:56 AM.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Oil.... i liked your old avatar
    MatterOfFactJack
    Ok, I did something wrong. Preware told me that two updates were out there. I installed Preware v 8.0. verything went fine. Started Prewre up again and notice that package manager was the second updated and that I had to install it using WebOSQuickInstall. So installed package manger using WebOSQuickInstall and when I went back to start Preware I just get the circle going round and round. I tried to go back insto WebOSQuickInstall to back everything back out and start again but could not see where to remove the two apps. Help
    I just went through something similar. I tried to update both from Preware and just ended up with the dreaded endless loading screen. Then tried to update both at the same time through WOSQI and got the same thing. I finally uninstalled Preware (sym+click+del+del), restarted the phone, installed the new package manager ONLY through WOSQI, then installed Preware through WOSQI. Everything works fine now.

I don't know if you need to do all that, but that's what worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet greggo View Post
    I just went through something similar. I tried to update both from Preware and just ended up with the dreaded endless loading screen. Then tried to update both at the same time through WOSQI and got the same thing. I finally uninstalled Preware (sym+click+del+del), restarted the phone, installed the new package manager ONLY through WOSQI, then installed Preware through WOSQI. Everything works fine now.

I don't know if you need to do all that, but that's what worked for me.
    I tried to just install both using WOSQI again and it worked while in DefMode, but once Iturned DevMode Off --endless loading Screen. How did you remove the apps using WOSQI?
    I didn't remove the package manager. I deleted Preware directly off the phone, not through WOSQI.

Then in WOSQI, install package manager by itself, THEN install Preware. That's all I did.

I always keep my phone in dev mode. I turned it off and also got the NEWS (never ending wheel spinning). When I went back into dev mode it started up fine. Makes sense, as I think you have to be in dev mode to install apps outside of the App Catalog.
    Sorry maxima2k53, it was not my intent to make you the target of my generalisation - I've removed it from the post above.

The accelservice and accelexample was written by eguadet (who also wrote the Virtual Keyboard), and is known to work fine for at least some people. Unfortunately, I can't test it, cause tilting my laptop doesn't seem to affect the Emulator ...

-- Rod
    its ok man no worries...just letting u know im not those type of ppl that just install crap just for that crap of it and not reading...im gonna try and install the service again and c wut happens....
    If would be really helpful if everyone precisely followed the installation, upgrade, and removal instructions in the Preware documentation ....

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

Then if something goes wrong, at least we have a known set of steps that people took, and if something doesn't work we can update those same wiki instructions to address the problem.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 09/02/2009 at 06:36 AM.

-- Rod
    so it'll act sluggish after every reboot?
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    so it'll act sluggish after every reboot?
    No, it should not.

But be aware that the AccelService wiki page (which I hope everyone who is installing it has read thoroughly) marks it as Pre-Alpha software, so you should not be surprised if there are problems.

-- Rod
    No, it should not.

But be aware that the AccelService wiki page (which I hope everyone who is installing it has read thoroughly) marks it as Pre-Alpha software, so you should not be surprised if there are problems.

-- Rod
    oh i know there's gonna be problems....w.e i installed the service i even rebooted just in case...the reboot took over 5 minutes...i also rebooted bc my phone kept being "phone offline" then the phone woke up offline so i turned on airplane mode and turn it back off and now we're good...its still a bit slow like b4 but ill give it time

EDIT: just now it got faster

EDIT2: now it just made my pre super fast...screen orientation is lightning fast
    Quote Originally Posted by rpankoe View Post
    Possible suggestion: Add support for downloading programs that are in the app catalog. You are now unable to download from the App catalog once you reach over 60 programs (same as filecoaster). There is an app that is in the App Catalog that I want to download, but I have 75 apps installed via Preware, so I am now unable to download it. Is there so way to add that feed?

I did not know there was a 60 program limit for the app catalog. I thought there was just a space limit. Very strange they set it up that way. Anyone figured out a patch / hach to go above that limit.

Funny I may have to delete 30 of my homebrew just to add three app catalog programs. Only to add the homebrew right back.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    hey rod....does the terminal app have to be installed with the terminal service plugin and also is it dangerous to install it on the pre?
    How do i get the third button to appear. I only have the + and -
    Question? I have Preware v0.7.7 and when I launch it, it says updating and the circle spins and spins. How long is it supposed to update for? or am I doing something wrong?