webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > GuttenPodder - a drPodder fork
GuttenPodder - a drPodder fork
Like Tree15Likes

Old 10/05/2012, 04:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

(Edit 2013-06-18 CET: new version 0.9.4)

GuttenPodder is a podcast app. It searches, finds, downloads manages and plays audio and video podcasts and audiobooks.

GuttenPodder is based on drPodder, the well known podcast app for webOS. GuttenPodder adds some new features (audiobook support, sorting episodes, new option "play from here", new view filters), some patches (gpodder search, podcast.de fix) and the changes for the Touchpad made by rawdeadfish for his app "podfrenzy".

GuttenPodder is licensed under GPLv3 and should run on webOS 1.4.5, 2.2.4 and 3.0.x. I've tested it on my Pre3 and on the SDK emulator for TouchPad and Pre.

Migration from drpodder/podfrenzy is possible via the drPodder.xml file or the database copy trick mentioned in http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...st2299374.html and GuttenPodder, the latest open source update based on drPodder | webOS Nation.

You can download GuttenPodder in homebrew
GuttenPodder | webOS Nation
and of course via preware.

Follow the development on Twitter https://twitter.com/GuttenPodder

Changes:

0.9.4 (2013-06-18)
  • fix: Landscape mode looks prettier now, but not perfect
  • new: filter for feed list and episode list. Just type a filter expression (case insensitive).
    On Touchpad tap the new search button for start
  • new: auto update optional for one selected feed or playlist only.
  • mod: auto update time picker intervall now 5 minutes instead of 15 minutes
  • fix: back button is only needed when no gesture area is availble; existence of
    physical keyboard is of no relevance. As a result on phones many stages do not show any longer a back
    button.

0.9.3 (2013-03-19)
  • new: sleeptimer in the episode detail screen's menu (suggested several times, e.g. by sanaking|pc). no dockmode support yet.
  • new: local media search expressions are now case insensitive with switchable search modes for path and/or titel (suggested by Adam Marks)
  • new 'path' sort mode for episodes
  • fix: manual reorder of episodes with tapping & dropping should now work well. After restarting GP the last sort order is restored.
  • fix: in episode description iframes and objects are now ignored; there are podcasts out there (eg. psycomedia) with info text with many embedded videos, resulting in many many windows (reported by Peter Mohlin)
  • fix: resume playing did not work every time - I hope it works now (reported by bethel95|pc)
  • fix: every word of the episode title was always capitalized by webos
  • del: removed "gdgt weekly" from default feeds (it's dead, Jim)

• Fixed a bug, which prevented the media permission dialog from showing up. Thus no local media function (audiobooks) worked. Furthermore no error dialog was given ...
  • New: Support of local Files ("Local Media") (e.g. for audiobooks). Restrictions: Not available on webOS 1.x.x; Some webOS 2.x.x devices have problems with that and need a system fix. See Help menu for details.
  • Added option to sort episodes (in feeds, play lists and local media). Sorting supports
    • "publication date, newest first" (default)
    • "publication date, oldest first"
    • title
    • title, descending
    • url
  • the items in the episode list are now reorderable. Tap an item and drag it to a new position. Use it for temporary rearrangement of the play sequence. Attention: Those changes are lost, when GuttenPodder is closed
  • fixed another podtrapper bug: Did not load podcasts, which are directory only URLs (e.g "Tagesschau in 100 Sekunden"), GuttenPodder instead stopped displaying anything (thanks konus|webosnations for reporting this)
  • Replaced big "save" and "cancel" buttons with small 'Back' and 'Done' button in the "add feed" scene
  • episode pop-up menu slightly changed
  • Removed universal search and dockmode (temporarily); they didn't work properly
  • Automatic removal of // in front of XML-URLs

• changed name from "guttenPodder" to "GuttenPodder"
  • localized timestamps in episodes
  • fixed start logo width/length on TP
  • fixed hanging in feedlist caused by invalid replace regexp e.g. ( *
  • removed error message explanation regarding podshifter (podshifter is AFAICS not available any more)
  • removed senseless edit menu in feed list
  • itunes search fixed and enabled
  • 0.8.4 ((based on drPodder 0.7.7; announced on nexave.de and webosnation.com forum drpodder thread)
  • added new episode filter "not downloaded & new", "downloaded & new"
  • added new episode command "Play all from here"
  • fullscreen support for TouchPad (from podFrenzy)
  • back button for tp in most scenes (from podfrenzy)
  • save + cancel button in addfeed scene and addplaylist scene for devices without keyboard (yes, Touchpad)
  • import/export options from podfrenzy (needs cleanup)
  • changed app icons
  • code for metrix statistic ("phoning home") removed
  • episode detail scene shows now ??:?? on unknown duration
  • changed epsioden command menu: "mark all as new/old" to "mark all visible as New/old"
  • example podcasts changed (non existing deleted, two german podcast added)
  • fixed podcast.de search (patch by "uwer" from precentral forum,12-09-08 in drPodder (a.k.a. PrePod))
  • gpodder search added ( // gpodder-Patch provided by Thomas Perl <m@thp.io>, http://thp.io/2011/webos/drpodder_gp...egration.patch)
  • fixed podtrapper bug (webos bug ; webViewLinkClicked-event does not work together with mojo.openUrl() in 2.2.4 and 3.0.x)
  • changed local filename generation (shorter, spaces replaced by underscore)
  • internal changes (debug code)

Last edited by WalterZwei; 06/18/2013 at 09:05 AM. Reason: new version 0.9.4
WalterZwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, drnull, OldSkoolVWLover and 5 others like this.
Old 10/05/2012, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't personally have a use for it, but glad to see people still expanding on an awesome app. Been loving Pod Frenzy ever since I found out about it!
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2012, 06:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
I don't personally have a use for it, but glad to see people still expanding on an awesome app. Been loving Pod Frenzy ever since I found out about it!
I used Pod Frenzy too but now switched to GuttenPodder as it is the same app with more functions and all the bugs fixed that still was in Pod Frenzy and that the developer never cared about to fix.

So I'm very happy that someone take up the good work and continues it. Thanks Walter.

Hape
hape is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
Old 10/06/2012, 05:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Very nice app, thank you so much for this one
iampuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2012, 02:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

I did the Klingon translation, let me know if it needs updated.

webOS Developer
roneyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2012, 12:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
I used Pod Frenzy too but now switched to GuttenPodder as it is the same app with more functions and all the bugs fixed that still was in Pod Frenzy and that the developer never cared about to fix.

So I'm very happy that someone take up the good work and continues it. Thanks Walter.

Hape
Cool I might have to look into switching here soon.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 10/08/2012, 08:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Works great on pixi plus on 1.4.5.1. You are awesome! Many thanks for making webos more useful for us diehard webos users.
juanspixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2012, 09:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for doing this! I will definitely use GuttenPodder once I have a chance to migrate over from drPodder.
evacaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2012, 11:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Great to see the source living on! I've sadly moved on to Android but I miss WebOS's simplicity and efficiency. And I apologize - Walter - for all the hacks and lousy programming you have to put up with!
drnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 10/09/2012, 12:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quick question: Is "Gutten" pronounced like "gut" as in "my gut hurts" or is it pronounced like "guten" as in the German greeting "Guten tag" ?

Nice work on the app!
jcerwinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2012, 12:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterZwei View Post
GuttenPodder is a fork of drPodder, the well known podcast app for webOS.

--clip--

GuttenPodder is gplv3 and should run on webOS 1.4.5, 2.2.4 and 3.0.x.
Does this mean that the problems I'm having streaming some podcasts on my Verizon Pre 2 running ver 2.1.0 of webOS can be expected? The exact same podcasts loaded into GuttenPodder on my Touchpad work fine.

Any thoughts about what the difference might be between webOS 2.1.0 and 3.0.5 that is breaking the streaming function?

Note: I can download and play from within GuttenPodder, just not stream. This condition seemed to exist in the drPodder version as well, so the GuttenPodder fork didn't break it.
mcdunnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2012, 03:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcerwinske View Post
Quick question: Is "Gutten" pronounced like "gut" as in "my gut hurts" or is it pronounced like "guten" as in the German greeting "Guten tag" ?

Nice work on the app!
I think it's pronounced likes german "Guten Tag", I'm associating "Gutenberg" with the name.
Gwidion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2012, 03:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnull View Post
Great to see the source living on! I've sadly moved on to Android but I miss WebOS's simplicity and efficiency. And I apologize - Walter - for all the hacks and lousy programming you have to put up with!
Thanks to you for supplying the source so that we can still use an awesome podcast app!
Old 10/09/2012, 05:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

@roneyii: Thanks for the offer, I'll contact you, as soon as I understand the i18n process :-)

@drnull: Thank you for your great app and for GPLing it. I think it's very well designed and written - I had no problems to understand and change your code.

"Gutten" is somehow pronounced like "guten" as in the German greeting "Guten Tag", but with a short "u". Gwidion was close with the association to "Gutenberg", but GuttenPodder is not named after the inventor of printing. As you know GuttenPodder is copied from DrPodder, so you may call it "Doctorate plagiarism" (Hint, Hint, if you know german politics :-) )

@mcdunnough: I did change little to nothing at playing or streaming; so expect the same behavior as drpodder/podfrenzy. I do not have 2.1.0 devices or emulator; but send me the URL of that feed, and I will look into it.
Old 10/09/2012, 06:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
@roneyii: Thanks for the offer, I'll contact you, as soon as I understand the i18n process :-)

@drnull: Thank you for your great app and for GPLing it. I think it's very well designed and written - I had no problems to understand and change your code.

"Gutten" is somehow pronounced like "guten" as in the German greeting "Guten Tag", but with a short "u". Gwidion was close with the association to "Gutenberg", but GuttenPodder is not named after the inventor of printing. As you know GuttenPodder is copied from DrPodder, so you may call it "Doctorate plagiarism" (Hint, Hint, if you know german politics :-) )

@mcdunnough: I did change little to nothing at playing or streaming; so expect the same behavior as drpodder/podfrenzy. I do not have 2.1.0 devices or emulator; but send me the URL of that feed, and I will look into it.
Here are two examples of RSS feeds that don't work on ver 2.1.0 (and do work on 3.0.5):

http://feeds.feedburner.com/theadamcarollapodcast
http://feeds.thisamericanlife.org/talpodcast

Here is an example of one that does work on ver 2.1.0:

http://npr.org/rss/podcast.php?id=510208

If I had to guess, I would say that it has something to do with how GuttenPodder (and drPodder before it) handles the redirect that is in the RSS feed. If I load the same URL into a browser and then follow the link for the episode in the browser, it streams fine (in the browser).

Last edited by mcdunnough; 10/09/2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: remove hyperlink
mcdunnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2012, 12:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Unfortunately I do not have a 2.1.0 device or emulator (audio cant be emulated, so an 2.1.0-emulator image wouldn't help much). On my Pre3 (2.2.4) both podcasts worked in streaming. Looks like another webos bug.

Maybe you could look into the log during starting the podcast on 2.1.0? Use lumberjack or the webos sdk (sth. like)
Code:
call palm-log --system-log-level=info 
call palm-log -f de.u32.guttenpodder
call palm-log --system-log-level=error
Old 11/14/2012, 09:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Moin,

I'am still working on GuttenPodder; a new feature will be local media support (aka ebook support).

It works for me, but there are many webos quirks: It uses the media indexer & media permission. These webos features are only usable in webos 2.x and up, and they are buggy - some devices need to "install" the Media Permissions Reset app ( http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32016000/com..._1.0.0_all.ipk ) before using it :-/

Gruss,
Walter

https://twitter.com/GuttenPodder

Last edited by WalterZwei; 11/14/2012 at 09:18 AM. Reason: URL-Fix
Old 11/14/2012, 12:48 PM   #18 (permalink)

Any chance of getting this into preware feeds for ease of updating I need to get this installed and give it a try but keep forgetting.
Old 11/14/2012, 02:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Any chance of getting this into preware feeds for ease of updating I need to get this installed and give it a try but keep forgetting.
I can not bundle that permission-reset with GuttenPodder, because not every device have got that permission problem. And the permission reset would revoke any media permission for every app in your Pre. Thats not good. But with preware installed you could click on the dropbox link and install that program (in fact: the programm does not exists; the installation script (postinst) just call
Code:
 luna-send -n 1 -a com.palm.filenotifyd.js palm://com.palm.db/del '{"query":{"from":"com.palm.media.permissions:1"}}'
{"returnValue":true,"count":1}
and removes itself after that
Old 12/09/2012, 06:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
I'am still working on GuttenPodder; a new feature will be local media support (aka ebook support).

[..] It uses the media indexer & media permission. These webos features are only usable in webos 2.x and up, and they are buggy - some devices need to "install" the Media Permissions Reset app ( http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32016000/com..._1.0.0_all.ipk ) before using it :-/
E-Book support in GuttenPodder is ready for beta testing. There is a new menu entry in the + button menu in the feed list to add a new playlist type named "local media". Be a beta tester and discover all the features and bugs yourself :-)

Download the beta version 0.8.9 at http://www.u32.de/download/de.u32.gu..._0.8.9_all.ipk

Tags
drpodder, guttenpodder, podcast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0