webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > GuttenPodder - a drPodder fork
GuttenPodder - a drPodder fork
Like Tree15Likes

Old 01/19/2013, 01:27 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterZwei View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked into it, but IMHO it does not have to do with streaming. The error message never shows up here and the code does nothing with streaming. I tested it with downloaded files too.

I think, the problem is the DOM audioobject. Sometimes the property "currenttime" ignores the assign of a value (see episodeDetail-assistant.js, EpisodeDetailsAssistant.prototype.handleAudioEvents()). I have moved it to other events, but nothing solved the problem. Yet.
Here's the error message; it doesn't show up every time the bug occurs, but does more than half of the time:

There was an error playing the file. This episode is not suitable for streaming.
file://media/internal/drPodder/{followed by the folder and file name for the podcast episode}

I should note that this error message does not appear when GP fails to restart a previously-paused episode, but rather after backswiping to the episode list and making a second attempt to resume the episode. This means that the message is (oddly) displayed after the episode has successfully resumed on that second attempt.

While my initial report related to the bug's appearance while resuming downloaded episodes, I have since confirmed that the bug occurs with streamed episodes as well (same error message, with what I assume is the online file location--http://www.podtrac.com/...).

I don't use GP on my TouchPad (3.0.5), but just for fun I installed it and tested the same podcast episode I just used on my Pre3. Thus far, I've been unable to force the bug/error message on the TP. I don't know if that's useful information, but there it is.

I should also note that I used Pod Frenzy for about 5 months prior to switching to GP, and never had this bug or error message. It's my understanding that PF and GP share a common codebase, so perhaps a comparison of the relevant sections of both code sets would reveal a critical difference.

Finally, I realized that I never shared all my device's tech info: Pre3 running 2.2.4.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
bethel95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2013, 02:36 PM   #42 (permalink)

Hey,
So, I have that question that possibly is really disliked.
My pre3 was recently stolen, which sucks because its my media player and camera too. So I lost all my podcasts and feed information too. I'm carrying an android phone as well, so I tried several podcatchers (fOod (crashes & proprietary), AntennaPod (having trouble with Verge), and SwallowCatcher (feature limited). Ugh.
So yes, I'm asking that question. What's the chance of guttenPodder on Android? Is porting Mojo apps extremely difficult? (Haven't ever investigated) It doesn't have to be pretty, and I don't expect local media support, but if it works, that'd be fantastic! )
Not trying to make a big diversion, and I'm open to a new thread or backchannel for this discussion to happen if that's preferable, in skimming the thread so far it seems like some real and relevant issues are being discussed, so.. Awesome
Thanks to the author for keeping this app updated! DrPodder was my first mobile podcatcher (as well as being the first mobile app I purchased!), but (to restate the above) I didn't realize how good I had it til I tried the competition [on android]! (I realized it bested the webOS competition awhile ago, but.. Goodness!!
Thanks to all* regardless!

upd:* Well, maybe not to the podFrenzy guy, because I bought that too and.. Am less than excited. :|

OH! I just realized I could ask a dev-related question: I've got GP on my TP and am adding feeds back (trying to remember them!) but am having trouble with car talk, are spaces not supported in the "Search Directory" feature? (I did end up finding it, but had to search just for 'car')
(Sales prices always less than ebay)

Last edited by sanaking; 02/02/2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: quick afterthought.. You know what? Being allowed to edit posts/comments, even if its only for 30s after, is a good idea! :)
sanaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2013, 07:13 AM   #43 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
I don't use GP on my TouchPad (3.0.5), but just for fun I installed it and tested the same podcast episode I just used on my Pre3. Thus far, I've been unable to force the bug/error message on the TP. I don't know if that's useful information, but there it is.

I should also note that I used Pod Frenzy for about 5 months prior to switching to GP, and never had this bug or error message. It's my understanding that PF and GP share a common codebase, so perhaps a comparison of the relevant sections of both code sets would reveal a critical difference.
There were no difference in the code for resuming... Did you use PF on your touchpad? Unfortunately the resume-at-0-bug can't be emulate on the virtual box emulator, but only on a real device (I've got a Pre3, 2.2.4), So your info, that the bugs did not show up on a real TP is important. Maybe it is an webos bug fixed in 3.x.x

I saw the streaming error message too, but not in connection with the resume bug. I think this is a separate error (sigh :-))
WalterZwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2013, 08:40 AM   #44 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanaking View Post
What's the chance of guttenPodder on Android?
Sorry to hear your Pre was stolen! I still have a working Pre3 and I do not intent to change my OS in the near future. So I do not have plans for porting GuttenPodder to any other system.

Ok, I've looked at PhoneGap, but It's nothing I would jump onto with enthusiasm. But nobody knows, what will happend in the future. GuttenPodder is free software (GPL), so everybody can take the source and port it everywhere (as long as it will be licensed under GPL too).

Quote:
I've got GP on my TP and am adding feeds back (trying to remember them!) but am having trouble with car talk, are spaces not supported in the "Search Directory" feature? (I did end up finding it, but had to search just for 'car')
I think it depends on the search engine - GuttenPodder just pipes the search term to them an doesn't care for phrase or words.
"Itunes" and "Google listen" finding "NPR: Car talk Podcast" if you are looking for "car talk". The others engines did not find it at all AFAICS.
Old 02/03/2013, 10:58 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
There were no difference in the code for resuming... Did you use PF on your touchpad? Unfortunately the resume-at-0-bug can't be emulate on the virtual box emulator, but only on a real device (I've got a Pre3, 2.2.4), So your info, that the bugs did not show up on a real TP is important. Maybe it is an webos bug fixed in 3.x.x

I saw the streaming error message too, but not in connection with the resume bug. I think this is a separate error (sigh :-))
I briefly used PF on my TP, but switched to Video Podcatcher. Why do you ask?

FYI, my device for both PF and GP is a Pre3 (2.2.4). If what we're dealing with is a webOS bug, then why did PF never exhibit it during the 4 months that I used it exclusively? It only showed up when I switched to GP.

I hear what you're saying about the streaming error being a separate issue, but there's a 1-to-1 correspondence between the resume bug occurring and the streaming error message showing up--somehow, they must be related.

I should also point out that I've never had a functional problem after seeing the streaming error message--the episode plays fine after I dismiss it. This leads me to believe that the error message is either spurious (the app is incorrectly detecting the error condition) or else is reporting late (the error actually occurs simultaneously with the resume error, but the message display is being blocked, somehow).

One final thought: The resume bug is certainly annoying, but the workaround (backswipe and try again) is easy enough that it's not a big problem--I'm still using and enjoying GP almost every day.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
bethel95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2013, 03:26 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Sorry to hear your Pre was stolen! I still have a working Pre3 and I do not intent to change my OS in the near future. So I do not have plans for porting GuttenPodder to any other system.

Ok, I've looked at PhoneGap, but It's nothing I would jump onto with enthusiasm. But nobody knows, what will happend in the future. GuttenPodder is free software (GPL), so everybody can take the source and port it everywhere (as long as it will be licensed under GPL too).
Thanks for the sympathy! If you don't have any devices then yeah, no pressure! If I was traveling I'd check out PG too then.. Actually if I wasn't traveling definitely get (or insurance? Hadn't even thought of that) another Pre3.
I ended up deleting 2 out of the 3 android podcatchers I Downloaded (dpod=defunct & closed-source, but has a nice feature to import your google reader; swallowcatcher doesn't even have a built-in player?! But it looks ok), leaving me with AntennaPod, which mainly leaves me missing GP! However, there is ONE feature that I'd love to have -- Sleep Timer! On my Pre3 I'd usually just set a terminal cmd to reboot the phone in 15 mins. (That is not the best idea for numerous reasons, FYI all! So I'd love to see that feature come into GP!
(FYI (not as a request), AP does have some other interesting features, like histories (playback&download), Queues (this combined with continuous playback is probably its second best feature), Search within feeds, and a nice Miro Search. None of which are huge to me. Sleep timer is

Quote:
I think it depends on the search engine - GuttenPodder just pipes the search term to them an doesn't care for phrase or words.
"Itunes" and "Google listen" finding "NPR: Car talk Podcast" if you are looking for "car talk". The others engines did not find it at all AFAICS.
Yeah it seems You're right, Digital Podcast was the only one that errors out immediately after entering "car talk." Maybe it has a bug in the way it handles spaces? It is possible one of the other engines is having trouble with the way spaces are being delivered to it as well, as only some returned it at the top of results, which all should.

Lastly (? I had written my full reply, but browser server crashed (can't wait for that Qt browser for the touchpad!), and I lost it, alas..)
'Add local media' doesn't seem to be working for me. But I added the Preware patch to exclude directories and am now following the instructions to totally clear out all the databases. (I do have a 64b touchpad that's almost full, FWIW.) More report to come, but for now want to save this msg before I lose it
(Sales prices always less than ebay)

Last edited by sanaking; 02/10/2013 at 03:48 PM. Reason: possible errors
sanaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 05:00 AM   #47 (permalink)

Hi Walter

Thanks for your work on GP I have to admit that after DrP I started using PF. Unfortunately I had to wipe my Pre3 and recover my profile and PF is no longer available. I knew of the existence of GP but up and till now I didn't have to use it....

So now here I am !!!! So many thanks.....

I also have a quick question for you. I am not sure if this is an inherited DrPodder bug, but when you add a Podcast feed if it has a lot of episodes it only brings back the first 20. This is a pain cause I need access to previous episodes.

If you want to replicate this the podcasts are Hanselminutes and .Net Rocks and I added them via the search capability. I haven't tried manually yet (cause that may solve it), but is there a reason that only the last 20 episodes show up in the list?

Many thanks in advance
Vas

EDIT: Manual adding the feed brings back the correct number of episodes...

EDIT 2: Thanks for your email. I noticed that there are 2 different feeds....many thanks

Last edited by VasTheGreek; 02/25/2013 at 12:40 PM.
VasTheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 02:48 PM   #48 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
I hear what you're saying about the streaming error being a separate issue, but there's a 1-to-1 correspondence between the resume bug occurring and the streaming error message showing up.
I think I have fixed the resume bug now. I do not know why it shouldn't had shown up in the other apps.

Last edited by WalterZwei; 02/25/2013 at 03:10 PM. Reason: grammar :-)
Thanked By: bethel95
Old 02/25/2013, 03:09 PM   #49 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
I ended up deleting 2 out of the 3 android podcatchers I Downloaded
I've heard that BeyondPod works somehow like drPodder. I do not use Android, so I can't tell.

Quote:
However, there is ONE feature that I'd love to have -- Sleep Timer! On my Pre3 I'd usually just set a terminal cmd to reboot the phone in 15 mins. (That is not the best idea for numerous reasons, FYI all!
A brute approach :-)
To reduce those nasty things, a sleep timer will be includes in GP's next relase. Although I do not see much sense in a sleep TIMER - a snore detector would be more useful :-)

In the episode details command menu you select the duration (or switch the timer off). If the timer in activated, there will be a visible sleep timer countdown during playing the podcast. If you pause the episode, the timer will pause too. If the timer reaches zero, the record is paused.
Thanked by bethel95, sanaking
Old 02/28/2013, 04:07 PM   #50 (permalink)

First thank you very much for improving Dr. Podder!

When I search through the podcast directory from podcast.de i always get an HTTP Status:404 error.
And I want to ask you how did you add the itunes podcast directory search?
Because I use musicbee (the last programm why I need Windows, found really no alternative for Linux
and there you have the Opportunity to add podcast directories with OPML.
I would really like to add there the itunes or the podcast.de directory.

Thanks

lemongrass!
lemongrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2013, 04:47 PM   #51 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemongrass View Post
When I search through the podcast directory from podcast.de i always get an HTTP Status:404 error....

And I want to ask you how did you add the itunes podcast directory search?
!
GP uses the url
Code:
http://ax.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStoreServices.woa/wa/wsSearch?term=#{keyword}&country=US&media=podcast&entity=podcast
And thanks for the info about 404. I'll look into it.
Old 03/21/2013, 05:39 PM   #52 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

New version 0.9.3. See first posting in this thread.

0.9.3 (2013-03-19)
  • new: sleeptimer in the episode detail screen's menu (suggested several times, e.g. by sanaking|pc). no dockmode support yet.
  • new: local media search expressions are now case insensitive with switchable search modes for path and/or titel (suggested by Adam Marks)
  • new 'path' sort mode for episodes
  • fix: manual reorder of episodes with tapping & dropping should now work well. After restarting GP the last sort order is restored.
  • fix: in episode description iframes and objects are now ignored; there are podcasts out there (eg. psycomedia) with info text with many embedded videos, resulting in many many windows (reported by Peter Mohlin)
  • fix: resume playing did not work every time - I hope it works now (reported by bethel95|pc)
  • fix: every word of the episode title was always capitalized by webos
  • del: removed "gdgt weekly" from default feeds (it's dead, Jim)

And podcast.de is still not working, I've contacted them.
Old 04/01/2013, 12:43 PM   #53 (permalink)

Thank you for this great application! The sleep timer is useful and I am using it on daily base. However I have problems with sorting. My books have order number in the filename and also in the track number inside ID3 tag, but the sorting is still wrong. Any possibility to add sorting based on filename or track number?
milanroubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2013, 04:02 PM   #54 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanroubal View Post
Any possibility to add sorting based on filename or track number?
Did you try sorting by "path"?

Sorting by track numbers is already on the wish list :-)
Old 06/18/2013, 08:11 AM   #55 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

New version 0.9.4. See first posting in this thread (GuttenPodder - a drPodder fork).

0.9.4 (2013-06-18)
  • fix: Landscape mode looks prettier now, but not perfect
  • new: filter for feed list and episode list. Just type a filter expression (case insensitive).
    On Touchpad tap the new search button for start
  • new: auto update optional for one selected feed or playlist only.
  • mod: auto update time picker intervall now 5 minutes instead of 15 minutes
  • fix: back button is only needed when no gesture area is availble; existence of
    physical keyboard is of no relevance. As a result on phones many stages do not show any longer a back
    button.

Gruss,
Walter
Old 06/18/2013, 01:49 PM   #56 (permalink)

Thx for the update.
Great work
figgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2013, 05:00 PM   #57 (permalink)

Sadly I have never been able to stream engadget or the verge. Will see if it works now
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2013, 04:32 AM   #58 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Sadly I have never been able to stream engadget or the verge.
Engadget works for me (0.9.4, streaming, Pre3, Wifi, Engadget Podcast 348: E3 and WWDC wrap-up - 06.15.13). Didn't try verge.

Tags
drpodder, guttenpodder, podcast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0