webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > GuttenPodder - a drPodder fork
GuttenPodder - a drPodder fork
Like Tree15Likes

Old 12/09/2012, 09:08 PM   #21 (permalink)

Yep, can confirm that in 2.1 it cant play some files like engadget, the verge podcasts. Great effort tho, and don't know how many people running 2.1.0 now
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2012, 08:17 AM   #22 (permalink)

Hello.

I found the program can't download file if server returns error 302 - moved permanently. Is it error or feature?
Old 12/23/2012, 10:09 AM   #23 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shura View Post
Hello.

I found the program can't download file if server returns error 302 - moved permanently. Is it error or feature?
This would be an error. Maybe this is an webos 2.1.x error. Do you have an example link?
WalterZwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2012, 11:25 AM   #24 (permalink)

example RSS link: RSS
I can download nothing with guttenpodder.
Old 12/29/2012, 04:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
I can reproduce this error. I am looking into that problem, but it seems to be complicated.
Thanked By: Shura
Old 12/30/2012, 10:48 AM   #26 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I have just uploaded Guttenpodder version 0.9.0 with audiobook and automatic and manual sorting support. Please refer to the first posting in this thread for details.

Sadly, the download problem of some redirectet podcasts have not been solved yet. I'am working on that.

Last edited by WalterZwei; 01/03/2013 at 04:00 PM. Reason: an audiobook is not an ebook ... :)
Thanked by figgel, Shura, yellowhammer
Old 12/30/2012, 10:14 PM   #27 (permalink)

I've been using PodFrenzy for a few months, but switched to GP a couple of weeks ago. It's definitely snappier than PF, and I like that the podcast search really works. Good job!

One problem: When I pause a podcast and either swipe back (to return to the podcast list view) or close the app, then reopen it later, I can see the progress bar on the podcast list (showing where I paused), but as soon as I tap the podcast to resume, the podcast play view open and GP resets the podcast to the beginning. This is a major usability flaw, and I've duplicated it on multiple podcasts.

Any suggestions?

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
bethel95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2012, 10:41 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
I've been using PodFrenzy for a few months, but switched to GP a couple of weeks ago. It's definitely snappier than PF, and I like that the podcast search really works. Good job!

One problem: When I pause a podcast and either swipe back (to return to the podcast list view) or close the app, then reopen it later, I can see the progress bar on the podcast list (showing where I paused), but as soon as I tap the podcast to resume, the podcast play view open and GP resets the podcast to the beginning. This is a major usability flaw, and I've duplicated it on multiple podcasts.

Any suggestions?
I've noticed this on DrPodder as well. Usually when that happenings swipe back, then press on the podcast again. It usually starts where you left off the first time. Give it a shot.
evacaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: WalterZwei
Old 01/04/2013, 01:39 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evacaf View Post
I've noticed this on DrPodder as well. Usually when that happenings swipe back, then press on the podcast again. It usually starts where you left off the first time. Give it a shot.
This works for me as well in all three apps...

I don't see the restart from beginning as often if you close the app with the podcast still paused.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2013, 04:31 PM   #30 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

yes i could reproduce the resume / not resume behavior. Seems to be a racing condition. I'll working on that (too)
Old 01/06/2013, 04:41 PM   #31 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterZwei View Post
I have just uploaded Guttenpodder version 0.9.0 with audiobook and automatic and manual sorting support. Please refer to the first posting in this thread for details.

Sadly, the download problem of some redirectet podcasts have not been solved yet. I'am working on that.
The audiobook / local media support did not work in 0.9.0, because the media permission dialog did not show up. I've fixed that (or at least, I belive to have fixed it). I've uploaded 0.9.1 to preware an updated the start posting of this thread. Please give it a try.

Here some usage tips:

There are some restriction with Local Media (not only for GuttenPodder but for any 3rd party player, but webos player himself):
* It works not on webos 1.x.x, because there is no media indexer. This is needed for local media
* You need media permission for Guttenpodder. This is the permission for GuttenPodder to access local files (comparable to the GPS permission you are asked for, when starting an map app)
* Media permission is buggy in webos 2.x.x: on some devices you are never asked for permission, so you do not ever get these.
There is a fix for it: <http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2774158/ca.canucksoftware.mediapermission.bugfix_1.0.0_all.ipk>
See also <http://forums.webosnation.com/hedami/277939-read-if-youre-unable-access-your-music-music-player-remix.html>
* the notorious media indexer bug applies also ...

Local media / audiobook should work this way:
* in the feed list, the + button should have an item "add local media" (direct below "add feed url")
* a new scene "add local media feed" opens. There are 5 fields in it
** filter expression - a simple, optional, non regexp, case sensitive search pattern for episode titles. If this is left blank, every audiofile on the device is put in this local media feed (except ... see below). Try a simple "e" as example.
** Title - a optional, descriptive title for the feed (as in the "add feed url scene")
** Icon - the path of an icon file (exactly as in the "add feed url scene")
** Sorting - How the episodes will be sorted ...
** "include GuttenPodder's own podcast files" - if set to "on" the audio files downloaded by GuttenPodder self (located in the /drPodder - Directory) are listed also. This is only needed, if you have "zombie" audio files there (files without entry in GuttenPodders normal podcast feeds).

* Now tap "Done" (or use back swipe) to save the changes in the dialog
* Now the dialog asking for media permission could (but may not) pop up
* A new Item (with the title just entered) in the feed list appears.
* tap that item, and the episode list will show up. If it is empty, tap the refresh button (bottom right). (now the media permission dialog could pop up too)
* You can now play one or all episodes. After playing an episode it will be marked as "old".
* Local media episodes will never be deleted
* You can edit the local media feed via the command menu ("Edit local media"). If you change the filter expression, the now not any longer matching episodes will disappear. After disappearing, their state (new or old) is not saved.
* you can use as many local media feed as you want
* the same audio file can be used in any number of local media feeds
* any local media feed can be part of any virtual playlist, mixed with any other feed.

How to import a audiobook:
* Copy all files in a new or existing directory on the usb partition (you should not use the /drpodder directory)
* add a local media feed as described above. Use a part of the (mp3) title of a file as filter expression (e.g "guide to the galaxy)"
* use "title" as sorting criteria
* after saving the feed and refreshing, you can hear the book's files

hth,
Walter
Thanked By: davidtm
Old 01/08/2013, 12:15 PM   #32 (permalink)

Hi, it's a great app, I like it sometime. Now I installed version 0.9.1 to TouchPad (3.0.5) and Preł (2.2.4). When I try to add an audiobook ( "add local media feed"), the app permanently freezes on the search. If I'll open "Edit Feed", in the field "filter expression" is: media://book, if I search "book", and it is "Invalid url"... But I have file book*mp3 on my device! And the folder "book" too...
sk555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2013, 01:10 PM   #33 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk555 View Post
Now I installed version 0.9.1 to TouchPad (3.0.5) and Preł (2.2.4). When I try to add an audiobook ( "add local media feed"), the app permanently freezes on the search.
It freezes after you closed the "add media dialog" or after you press the refresh button in the episode list (that circle thing)? The refresh could be slow sometimes, but not that slow ...
Did your mp3 has been tagged with title? You could see it e.g. in the Windows explorer.

Quote:
If I'll open "Edit Feed", in the field "filter expression" is: media://book, if I search "book", and it is "Invalid url"... But I have file book*mp3 on my device! And the folder "book" too...
The local media feed menu entry should be "Edit Local media" and not "Edit feed". Thus GuttenPodder stored the local media feed as normal rss feed. That's why there is that "media://" and the check for URL. Both do belong to normal rss podcast feeds but not to local media. That's an error. I'll repair it.

Please delete the feed with the audiobook. You can try to use a mp3 with title tag for now. Sorry for the inconvenience

Gruss,
Walter
Old 01/09/2013, 01:48 AM   #34 (permalink)

App freezes after click "Done" (ring spinning, the search continues, - I stand about 1 hour);
My mp3 has been tagged with title. I attach the scan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mp3.JPG (18.6 KB, 9 views) Email Attachment
Old 01/10/2013, 04:30 PM   #35 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
App freezes after click "Done" (ring spinning, the search continues, - I stand about 1 hour);
My mp3 has been tagged with title. I attach the scan.
Ok, than I have to guess: Maybe there is a problem during getting the media permission. Some webos 2.x devices have got a problem here; they do not ask you, but do not allow access either.

In this case you have to run an "application" to fix this problem; you'll find it at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32016000/com..._1.0.0_all.ipk
See this thread Read this if you're unable to access your music in Music Player (Remix) for more infos.

Are there any user of GuttenPodder out there, who already can use local media? I did not get any positive response yet. I use it daily, but that does not count. The feedback would help me very much.
Thanked By: sk555
Old 01/12/2013, 07:18 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterZwei View Post
Maybe there is a problem during getting the media permission.
Hardly. I have own and "legal" files mp3, with all the tags. The problem with the logic of the search, as I think. On the russian webOS forum confirm this problem.
Old 01/12/2013, 09:25 AM   #37 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Hardly. I have own and "legal" files mp3, with all the tags.
The term "media permissions" refers to the permission GuttenPodder needs from webos to access files on the device file system. It has nothing to do with "legal" contents of files or any DRM crap.
No app has the right to access local files, until the user has granted access. That permission is called "media permission". See https://developer.palm.com/content/a...s.html#request for the api.
Old 01/15/2013, 11:43 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evacaf View Post
Yes, that worked! And in the process, I observed something that may reveal what's going on: After the backswipe and second tap, the podcast resumed normally and an error message popped up, saying that stream had been corrupted. I didn't write down the exact text, but it was clear that it was referring to a streaming playback, as opposed to playback of the local, downloaded file.

So here's my hypothesis: When resuming playback and getting the start of the podcast instead, GP has mistakenly loaded the streamed file (thus starting at the beginning) rather than loading the downloaded version. This would explain why backswiping and trying again works--the second time GP correctly loads the downloaded version of the podcast. If I'm right, the fix to this bug should lie in the code that allows GP to "remember" the source of the podcast being resumed (streaming or local)--something in the current code isn't working quite right, occasionally losing track of the source when the app has been closed since the playback was paused.

Can anyone else verify this?

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
bethel95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 04:32 PM   #39 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
So here's my hypothesis: When resuming playback and getting the start of the podcast instead, GP has mistakenly loaded the streamed file (thus starting at the beginning) rather than loading the downloaded version.
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked into it, but IMHO it does not have to do with streaming. The error message never shows up here and the code does nothing with streaming. I tested it with downloaded files too.

I think, the problem is the DOM audioobject. Sometimes the property "currenttime" ignores the assign of a value (see episodeDetail-assistant.js, EpisodeDetailsAssistant.prototype.handleAudioEvents()). I have moved it to other events, but nothing solved the problem. Yet.
Old 01/18/2013, 04:40 PM   #40 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
I can download nothing with guttenpodder.
This did not work for me too. Just tried it again with GP 0.9.1 on webos 2.2.4 and the episodes 247 to 250 are downloaded without problem ... So, please consider to try it again. Maybe the podcast provider has fixed now an error on his side? Thank you.

Tags
drpodder, guttenpodder, podcast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0