Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 138
Like Tree11Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by ajguns View Post
    Wua-wua... REALLY?! That's bad news! I was hoping to convert all our church songs (Spanish) so we could use your app while practicing and signing. Oh well. But I've read that you are making it possible to write your own song (just that -as if right now- it can't be saved), so in the -near I hope- future we would be able to re-write all of our church choruses into the app; am I correct-o?! Say yes, please say yes!!!
    A side question: do you know how can one make a .xml file (a real one)? Is it programing on html?
    Actually, if you have a look at the documentation at Documentation Contents - OpenLyrics v0.8 Documentation, you will find that it would be completely practical to manually generate lyrics files of your songs for use in MySongBook. The XML files are just text files with the parameters identified with tags between angle brackets (eg <lyrics>) the same as HTML.

    You would just need to edit some title information and then include the lyric lines between tags as below adding additional verses as required.

    Code:
    <lyics>
      <verse name="v1">
        <lines>
        paste in the lines of verse 1 here
        </lines>
      </verse>
      .
    </lyrics>
    If you wanted to include chords, they are inserted into the <lyrics><lines> text just before the point at which they occur as a tag. eg The chord D7 is played <chord name="D7" />at the position of the 'a' in the bolded 'at' in these lyrics and would be displayed on the chord line as D7 above the 'a' in at..

    That will give you something to go on with until somebody automates the process. :-)

    What is the format of your songs, by the way? (Anybody else who is interested in conversion of lyrics/chords to openlyrics format can chime in.) The reason that I ask is that text files with title and space separated verses of chord lines followed by lyric lines would probably be quite easy to convert.
    Last edited by johncc; 10/03/2012 at 11:31 PM.
  2. michote's Avatar
    Posts
    183 Posts
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
       #22  
    @johncc Thanks for your howto
    I'm currently busy, but coming week I'll be back codinge to get a basic editor working.

    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    What is the format of your songs, by the way? (Anybody else who is interested in conversion of lyrics/chords to openlyrics format can chime in.) The reason that I ask is that text files with title and space separated verses of chord lines followed by lyric lines would probably be quite easy to convert.
    Opensong does something like this.
    It has a syntax liker this
    Code:
    [V1]
    . D      D7        G         D          Bm      E           A  A7
     Amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me;
    .  D        D7       G       D          Bm        A     G   D 
     I once was lost but now I'm found, was blind but now I see.
    
    [V2]
    ...
    this will be stored in an xml format which can be converted to openlyrics ( this is abit tricky, cause the converter isn't up to date, but I wrote a simple wrapper-bash-script to get it working)

    but maybe we can get a better converter here. I also asked at the open-lyric-googlegroup but the people there are busy with the release of OpenLP 2.0.


    @ajguns
    If you don't need chord or If your able to add them with a texteditor. I'd suggest OpenLP as a lyric editor. Than You export the songs and add chords in a texteditor like johncc desscribed.

    By the way. would you like to translate the app to spanish?
    It only editing a textfile as well which looks like this:
    Code:
    {
        "About": "sobre",
        "Help": "ayuda",
        ...
    }
    Touchpad 32GB and Veer | my app MySongBook | my Dark Glass Theme | apps involved in: OrganizeMe!, ReadOnTouch
  3. #23  
    Here's a simple web-app which will convert lyrics into an Open Lyrics lyrics block for you to cut and paste into your xml file. Doesn't do chords, just lyrics. Does now see later Just paste the lyrics into the left panel and press the convert button, then cut and paste the contents of the right panel. Verses are delineated by a blank line between sets of lines which are the verses. Hope it's of use and let me know of any problems.

    Lyrics converter

    Here's a couple of verses to try it out with

    Seen the arrow on the doorpost
    Saying, "This land is condemned
    All the way from New Orleans
    To Jerusalem."
    I traveled through East Texas
    Where many martyrs fell
    And I know no one can sing the blues
    Like Blind Willie McTell

    Well, I heard the hoot owl singing
    As they were taking down the tents
    The stars above the barren trees
    Were his only audience
    Them charcoal gypsy maidens
    Can strut their feathers well
    But nobody can sing the blues
    Like Blind Willie McTell
    Last edited by johncc; 10/08/2012 at 07:37 AM.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Actually, if you have a look at the documentation at Documentation Contents - OpenLyrics v0.8 Documentation, you will find that it would be completely practical to manually generate lyrics files of your songs for use in MySongBook. The XML files are just text files with the parameters identified with tags between angle brackets (eg <lyrics>) the same as HTML.

    You would just need to edit some title information and then include the lyric lines between tags as below adding additional verses as required.

    Code:
    <lyics>
      <verse name="v1">
        <lines>
        paste in the lines of verse 1 here
        </lines>
      </verse>
      .
    </lyrics>
    If you wanted to include chords, they are inserted into the <lyrics><lines> text just before the point at which they occur as a tag. eg The chord D7 is played <chord name="D7" />at the position of the 'a' in the bolded 'at' in these lyrics and would be displayed on the chord line as D7 above the 'a' in at..

    That will give you something to go on with until somebody automates the process. :-)

    What is the format of your songs, by the way? (Anybody else who is interested in conversion of lyrics/chords to openlyrics format can chime in.) The reason that I ask is that text files with title and space separated verses of chord lines followed by lyric lines would probably be quite easy to convert.
    Wow! Thank you for your detailed and very instructive response.
    I'm to blame for wanting everything automated, but the instructions on the documentation seem quite doable for me ;-) I think I'll give a shot and see where it leads. I'll keep you posted on any results.
    Regards,
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by michote View Post
    @ajguns
    If you don't need chord or If your able to add them with a texteditor. I'd suggest OpenLP as a lyric editor. Than You export the songs and add chords in a texteditor like johncc desscribed.

    By the way. would you like to translate the app to spanish?
    It only editing a textfile as well which looks like this:
    Code:
    {
        "About": "sobre",
        "Help": "ayuda",
        ...
    }
    I would be glad to help! Would be my first time since high school "programing" if something as simple as this can referenced as such! Just bear with me. Please, send me a PM on how I can help.
    Thanks @Michote,
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by michote View Post
    Opensong does something like this.
    It has a syntax liker this
    Code:
    [V1]
    . D      D7        G         D          Bm      E           A  A7
     Amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me;
    .  D        D7       G       D          Bm        A     G   D 
     I once was lost but now I'm found, was blind but now I see.
    
    [V2]
    ...
    this will be stored in an xml format which can be converted to openlyrics ( this is abit tricky, cause the converter isn't up to date, but I wrote a simple wrapper-bash-script to get it working)

    but maybe we can get a better converter here. I also asked at the open-lyric-googlegroup but the people there are busy with the release of OpenLP 2.0.
    Ok. Did a little try out with this method. When saved, it saves them as .html files. How do you get openlyrics to store as .xml? Seems, pretty easy to write songs with this, but making them display-able/read-able on MySongBook app I'm confuse about.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by michote View Post
    @johncc Thanks for your howto
    I'm currently busy, but coming week I'll be back codinge to get a basic editor working.


    Opensong does something like this.
    It has a syntax liker this
    Code:
    [V1]
    . D      D7        G         D          Bm      E           A  A7
     Amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me;
    .  D        D7       G       D          Bm        A     G   D 
     I once was lost but now I'm found, was blind but now I see.
    
    [V2]
    ...
    this will be stored in an xml format which can be converted to openlyrics ( this is abit tricky, cause the converter isn't up to date, but I wrote a simple wrapper-bash-script to get it working)

    but maybe we can get a better converter here. I also asked at the open-lyric-googlegroup but the people there are busy with the release of OpenLP 2.0.


    @ajguns
    If you don't need chord or If your able to add them with a texteditor. I'd suggest OpenLP as a lyric editor. Than You export the songs and add chords in a texteditor like johncc desscribed.

    By the way. would you like to translate the app to spanish?
    It only editing a textfile as well which looks like this:
    Code:
    {
        "About": "sobre",
        "Help": "ayuda",
        ...
    }
    ALL RIGHT!!!
    FINALLY DID IT!
    I used the OpenLP 2.0 and then added the Chords as @johncc said. It worked! Was a little long process but it can be done, and probably was longer cause it was the first time I've done this.
    In the attachment you'll see a Mexican group song (in Spanish), which if you see more detailed, you'll see I tried 3 times to make it work
    Great... now time to sleep!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ajguns
    LONG WILL LIVE webOS!!!
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Here's a simple web-app which will convert lyrics into an Open Lyrics lyrics block for you to cut and paste into your xml file. Doesn't do chords, just lyrics. Just paste the lyrics into the left panel and press the convert button, then cut and paste the contents of the right panel. Verses are delineated by a blank line between sets of lines which are the verses. Hope it's of use and let me know of any problems.
    Developed the converter from a couple of post back a bit further.

    OpenLyrics Generator

    I have modified the online converter, so that if you have a single first line with a blank line following it, the converter will generate the whole OpenLyrics song file which you can then cut and paste into a text file and save. It will also interpret additonal single lines as OpenLyrics properties such as author. It should cope with all of the properties including tempo.

    Pasted the text below into the converter for a demo

    Blind Willie McTell

    author Bob Dylan

    tempo 95

    Seen the arrow on the doorpost
    Saying, "This land is condemned
    All the way from New Orleans
    To Jerusalem."
    I traveled through East Texas
    Where many martyrs fell
    And I know no one can sing the blues
    Like Blind Willie McTell

    Well, I heard the hoot owl singing
    As they were taking down the tents
    The stars above the barren trees
    Were his only audience
    Them charcoal gypsy maidens
    Can strut their feathers well
    But nobody can sing the blues
    Like Blind Willie McTell
    Last edited by johncc; 10/05/2012 at 04:42 AM.
  9. #29  
    Just figured out that long <lines> need individual <br /> for line breaks. I'll fix that later on.

    @michote Do the verse labels serve any purpose. I was thinking that if they weren't there you would pick up a bit of space.
  10. michote's Avatar
    Posts
    183 Posts
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
       #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    @michote Do the verse labels serve any purpose. I was thinking that if they weren't there you would pick up a bit of space.
    I usually like to see the labels when talking with other musicians. They can already be toggled from headline to lable, so it won't be much to add a option to hide them completely.
    Touchpad 32GB and Veer | my app MySongBook | my Dark Glass Theme | apps involved in: OrganizeMe!, ReadOnTouch
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Just figured out that long <lines> need individual <br /> for line breaks. I'll fix that later on.
    ...
    Fixed. Online Lyrics Converter
  12. michote's Avatar
    Posts
    183 Posts
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
       #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    looks promising

    Just one note: <br /> at last line (before </lines>) won't work well in MySongBook.
    Touchpad 32GB and Veer | my app MySongBook | my Dark Glass Theme | apps involved in: OrganizeMe!, ReadOnTouch
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by michote View Post
    looks promising

    Just one note: <br /> at last line (before </lines>) won't work well in MySongBook.
    Okay. I'll change that tomorrow. (it's 1 am here)
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Ok, johncc I've tried your convertor.
    Looks good. But I would want to know which fields do it recognizes automatically. Autor, Song, Copy rights, etcetera and on which order they have to be entered so it displays well. Also, will it support chords? That would be neat!
    Last edited by ajguns; 10/05/2012 at 03:04 PM.
    ajguns
    LONG WILL LIVE webOS!!!
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by michote View Post
    looks promising

    Just one note: <br /> at last line (before </lines>) won't work well in MySongBook.
    Okay. Fixed that.

    Quote Originally Posted by ajguns View Post
    Ok, johncc I've tried your convertor.
    Looks good. But I would want to know which fields do it recognizes automatically. Autor, Song, Copy rights, etcetera and on which order they have to be entered so it displays well. Also, will it support chords? That would be neat!
    It should process all <properties> fields. I am not aware that the order matters. If so, I'll have to make some adjustments. I did notice that an author wasn't displayed when I imported a file into MySongBook, so I'll have a look at that. That works okay after all.

    I'm going to tackle chords next.
    Last edited by johncc; 10/08/2012 at 07:39 AM.
  16. #36  
    Hello Hello!!!
    I just wanted to share my 1st all_in_Touchpad open-Lyric(chords included) .xml file for MySongBook app!
    What does all this means? Well, that I:
    1.- Searched a song I wanted to sing at church on google (Just Type that is!). Jesús Adrian Romero - Preciosa Sangre.
    2.- Open johncc's OpenLyris Online Lyrics Converter (just some comments before). Followed instructions.
    3.- Open InternalzPro and went to MySongBook (media/internal/MySongBook), copied a random song to Media/Internal/Downloads. Opened it, selected all and pasted the song I've just converted.
    4.- Used johncc's method to introduce chords with <chord name=¨x¨ />.
    5.- Changed the file name (remember that I copied a random song that came with the app) to the name of the real song I was working on.
    6.- Copied it to MySongBook (media/internal/MySongBook).
    7.- Voilà!!! (See attachment) So it was!

    I don't know if this is much help to anyone, but knowing it can be done on the Touchpad alone, is quite nice for me. I think I like it better than the Mac.

    Special thanks @johncc for your tips and effort and @michote for developing this great app! and of course Jason Robitaille for Internalz Pro (I do so much with this app, and I'm not a techie person at all!).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ajguns; 10/13/2012 at 12:04 AM.
  17. michote's Avatar
    Posts
    183 Posts
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
       #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    @michote

    I had assumed that you were using a mono-spaced font to allow a correlation between the lyrics an chord text lines, but I don't know if that is true, is it?
    No, its all HTML/CSS:


    So the position of a chord will be above the following letter (whitespace is valid here, as well, and will be preserved).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Touchpad 32GB and Veer | my app MySongBook | my Dark Glass Theme | apps involved in: OrganizeMe!, ReadOnTouch
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by michote View Post
    No, its all HTML/CSS:

    So the position of a chord will be above the following letter (whitespace is valid here, as well, and will be preserved).
    Thanks. I have organised the online converter to handle chord input, but it will rely on the fact that <textarea> uses mono-spaced fonts to position the chords correctly with respect to the lyrics line. (The Touchpad doesn't seem to display in mono-spaced correctly)

    Online OpenLyrics Converter

    Paste the section below into the input section of the converter to see how it works. (The font in the CODE box is set to Courier New) When the output is pasted into a text file and loaded into MySongBook, it gives the result in the image.

    Code:
    Blind Willie McTell
    
    author Bob Dylan
    
          Dm        Am     Dm     
    Seen the arrow on the doorpost
     Dm           Am      Dm
    Saying this land is condemned 
              Am      C    G     Bb     C  Dm
    All the way from New Orleans to Jeruselem 
       Dm       Am     Dm
    I travelled to East Texas 
     Dm          Am    Dm
    Where many martyrs fell 
              Am            C            G
    And I know thing no one can sing the blues 
    Bb           C       Dm
    Like Blind Willie McTell
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by johncc; 10/08/2012 at 07:40 AM.
  19. michote's Avatar
    Posts
    183 Posts
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
       #39  
    The converter looks great, but the image looks strange.
    Have you modified the css of the chords? they are aligned to the right instead of left???
    Touchpad 32GB and Veer | my app MySongBook | my Dark Glass Theme | apps involved in: OrganizeMe!, ReadOnTouch
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by michote View Post
    The converter looks great, but the image looks strange.
    Have you modified the css of the chords? they are aligned to the right instead of left???
    No I haven't done anything to MySongBook. Can you clarify what you mean re the alignment?

    Quote Originally Posted by michote View Post

    Opensong does something like this.
    It has a syntax liker this

    Code:
    [V1]
    . D      D7        G         D          Bm      E           A  A7
     Amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me;
    .  D        D7       G       D          Bm        A     G   D 
     I once was lost but now I'm found, was blind but now I see.
    
    [V2]
    ...
    The convertor should be able to cope with OpenSong lyrics blocks now. You can just put a title line at the top of them and finish up with an OpenLyrics song.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions