webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > Free Heroes 2
Free Heroes 2
Like Tree8Likes

Old 06/09/2012, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Free Heroes 2 v.6.2886.2

System requirements: webOS 2.0

If you like it - PLEASE DONATE:

Description: Yes, this is legendary Heroes of Might & Magic II...
I did a webOS port of project heroes2. The sources used are v0.6.2867. Compiled with SDK 3.0.4 and tested on 3.0.4/2.1.4.

Attention! This program needs HEROES2.AGG file from original disc of HMM II. This file is the property of game publisher and may not be distributed freely. In this IPK the HEROES2.AGG file from demo version of HMM II (that is available free of charge in many internet sources) is included. If you have own genuine copy of HMM II - you can substitude it with your verison (in folder DATA of application fheroes2). In feature releases I would like to implement a possibility to copy it automatically from media/internal folder, so you will be able just to attach your TouchPad to PC as USB disk and put the file in root folder (or something like this).

Download IPK installation file:
From AppCatalog:
http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...forge.fheroes2

Game needs about 80Mb on tablet, requires about 100Mb of free RAM.

Download sources:
Patch at sourceforge page

v6.2886.2, 2012/10/01:
sources posted at sourceforge page
ipk size reduced (deleted timidity folder, ~12Mb)
b2867 -> b2886
- update Castle::BuildingInfo, add status for disabled building
- fixed: Dialog::BattleSummary, captain wins message
- battle: fixed buttons, status pos. for QVGA mode
- update Dialog::RecruitMonster, add switch monster type upgrade/downgrade
- update Dialog::RecruitMonster, add BTNMIN, change Resource::GetValidItems
- fixed blind answer, skip first response
- update Battle:: DialogBattleSurrender, Dialog::ArmyJoinWithCost, ArmySplitTroop
- add Dialog::ArmySplitTroop
- update marketplace dialog, add buy/sell info
- marketplace: add min button
- update Dialog::ArmyJoinWithCost
- fixed: Castle::GetDescription
- fixed battle: tower damage, moat reduce defense, add ballista info
- update: level up dialog and pickup chest dialog
- add game option: interface show/hide
- devel: change Surface::GetSize, remove bitset

v6.2867.1 - 2012/07/30
- based on b2867
- music added (midi -> ogg, files can be changed to ogg from full CD verison of HOMM2, must be 22050 Hz)
- UniCode support (just for letters,including cyrillic)
- GUI localization for several languages EN/FR/ES/PT/SV/CS/HU/PL/RU (still incomplete!)
- support of native Pre3 resolution (fully functional screen controls)
- support of native Pre/Pre2/Veer resolution, but game can be played only in limited QVGA mode
- no network multiplayer support

v6.2862.0 - 2012/06/26
- first release in AppCatalog
- change in version numeration
- based on b2862
- information screen added
- maps and AGG-files can be used automatically if placed in media/internal/fheroes

v0.6.2860.0 - 2012/06/09
- first public release. FOR TESTING ONLY!
- there is still no user-friendly methods for using your HEROES2.AGG
- there is still no user-friendly methods for using your maps
- compiled without network libs (now Hot Seat only)
- compiled without Unicode support (now english only)
- midi music does not work now
- this is testing build, so it can crash in any time
- it is necessary to adjust GLOBAL_POCKETPC setting in sources into normal webOS support

Screenshots:

Last edited by Shadson; 10/02/2012 at 07:00 AM.
Shadson is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, LizardWiz, Pilotovef and 1 others like this.
Thanked by LizardWiz, Pilotovef, Rnp
Old 06/29/2012, 12:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

This is pretty awesome actually. I found my old copy of HOMM2 lying in a bin full of 15 year old games... does it give me anything that your program doesn't? What is actually in the Heroes2.agg file? I haven't looked at it, but it is probably just sprites? Because the demo one seems to work fine? I also have the expansion pack as well. And finally what about the maps? Should I copy those over?
LizardWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2012, 03:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

yes, heroes2.agg contains sprites only. For standard maps you can't see any difference. But with original file from expansion pack you can use not only .MP2, but also .MX2 maps. For exp pack you need also heroes2x.agg and .hs files from original disk.

If you copy your maps in media/internal/fheroes2/maps (I.e. Attach your touchpad as usb and copy to fheroes2/maps in the root folder of usb drive) - they will be seen in maps list.

Last edited by Shadson; 06/29/2012 at 03:45 AM.
Old 07/01/2012, 10:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

pretty damned sweet, its just as useable as the pc port, i like it, do you have any major plans for future releases/updates?

EDIT: only issue i have on the downside is that often clicking the next turn or travel buttons occasionally causes the buttons to not click and instead the in focus unit wants to travel to a n area of the map underneath where those buttons are.

Last edited by geekpeter; 07/01/2012 at 11:00 AM.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/02/2012, 12:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

this works on the pre3, and fills the whole screen, tho ofc its hard to play due to the tiny buttons, tried editing the .cfg to make the game smaller but didnt seem to fill the screen after that.

wondering if editing the key.cfg would make it easier to navigate on a phone, or work at all. (EDIT: Keyboard works fine)
Attached Images
File Type: png Unknown_2012-02-07_175701.png (350.8 KB, 11 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by geekpeter; 07/02/2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07/02/2012, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
this works on the pre3, and fills the whole screen, tho ofc its hard to play due to the tiny buttons, tried editing the .cfg to make the game smaller but didnt seem to fill the screen after that.

wondering if editing the key.cfg would make it easier to navigate on a phone, or work at all. (EDIT: Keyboard works fine)
you can't change resolution, it is strictly defined as 1024x768 in sources. Yes, you can start it on Pre, Veer etc, but the everything will be too small for normal game. Phones are not in focus, sorry.
Maybe somewhen in future I will add a support for native resolution depending on device app started, but as next more important steps I see midi support (can't solve it till now), unicode for international letters in maps description (same thing), localization (seems, fheroes doesn't have internal support for localization and it is possible only by compiling other executable for other language) and (may be, also not in focus) - network play support.
Or may be I will just start of porting something else instead of fixing non-important bugs and smb else can do it instead of me...

Last edited by Shadson; 07/02/2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07/02/2012, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

its weird tho, the UI does seem to change behaviour when i set an amazingly small screen in the cfg, the building/castle view changes to a compact version, its just that the whole screen fills the 1024x768, then the entire 1024x768 seems to be downsized to the pre3/phone size, much like how hexage pdk games made for touchpad (radiant defense/robotek etc) still downscale/fill the pre3 screen perfectly.

is it as simple (rare good/useful things are simple) as changing references of 1024x768 to device width & device height or is it way more complicated than that?

its still damned sexy for a first release btw.
Old 07/02/2012, 02:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Not so easy. There several separate sub-screens, they are processed separately.
I can compile in several minutes only such ipk, try it out:
https://www.box.com/s/388cb4627cccbc69a8eb
Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Thanked By: geekpeter
Old 07/02/2012, 03:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

you sir are a legend, it works perfectly, and even runs faster on the lower resolution, the castle view has a minor bit cut off (as does fights) but doesnt interfere 1 bit..

far easier to click buttons and plays just as well as on the touchpad.

dead simple using the physical keyboard to make up for the tiny buttons for move (M), end turn (E) etc, loving it, cheers.
Old 07/02/2012, 03:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

nice to hear. Feel free to donate
Old 07/02/2012, 03:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadson View Post
nice to hear. Feel free to donate
done and worth it for my sanity at work.
Thanked By: Shadson
Old 07/03/2012, 12:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

i wonder, are you still going to do what you suggested? porting other stuff? i had high hopes that the likes of Freedroid/Freedroid Rpg and Warzone2100 might have had ports from the linux/sourceforge projects and made their apearances eventually, there is ofc heaps more out there, thats just 2 i kinda install due to force of habit on any winblows/linux box's i have.

i live and breathe computer retro.
Old 07/03/2012, 01:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

sorry, i don't want to announce things that I even didn't start to do. Yeah, i have plans to port one more legendary game (and it is very realistic view btw, and even jump to HD resolution - the most problem is touch controls), but it is not one of the titles you mentioned. Anyway, you will not be disappointed if it happens
Old 07/14/2012, 09:52 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
sorry, i don't want to announce things that I even didn't start to do. Yeah, i have plans to port one more legendary game (and it is very realistic view btw, and even jump to HD resolution - the most problem is touch controls), but it is not one of the titles you mentioned. Anyway, you will not be disappointed if it happens
ha, can I throw Warlords II from SSG into the mix?? ;-)
rudsaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/15/2012, 11:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

I'm having trouble with two things.

#1 Your AI is *much* smarter. Can you dumb it down so I can dominate in my sleep like I used to? lol
#2 I can't seem to figure out how to correctly attack from a specific location when I have some distance between the enemy and I. I also can't seem to flat out attack at all in some cases, and have to rely on AUTO doing the right thing for a move.

Am I missing something? Or is there a real issue?

HP TouchPad, btw. Stock, just doctored a month ago.

*edit*

P.S. Do you have a link to your source? I wouldn't mind poking around and seeing if I can offer some help.
Kaihmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/16/2012, 04:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

the game is compiled with simple ai. If it is too strong for you, select other maps (first number in map selection dialog is a difficulty level), choose 'easy' in next dialog. But anyway it will not help you to beat hundred of dragons with ten skeletons :-)

I will release the sources, but first I would like to add missing things like music and unicode support. Anyway, the sources of main engine (w/o webOS specific code) is available from fheroes2 page - fheroes2.sourceforge.net. The game in app catalog now is based on 0.6.2862 build.
Old 07/31/2012, 02:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

v6.2867.1 - 2012/07/30
- based on b2867
- music added (midi -> ogg, files can be changed to ogg from full CD verison of HOMM2, must be 22050 Hz)
- UniCode support (just for letters,including cyrillic)
- GUI localization for several languages EN/FR/ES/PT/SV/CS/HU/PL/RU (still incomplete!)
- support of native Pre3 resolution (fully functional screen controls)
- support of native Pre/Pre2/Veer resolution, but game can be played only in limited QVGA mode
- no network multiplayer support

I think this will be a final webOS release. If guys from sourceforge will accept it, I will try to integrate webOS port sources into main fheroes2 projects.

PS: Don't forget to donate if you like it.
Old 08/01/2012, 06:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

I'm not sure if you covered this or not, but I've got a Verizon Pre2 running 2.1.0 and I downloaded the game. I can get to the first page or main screen, where I can choose to Play, DONATE: or information. If I click on info, I can read that page. I tap to go back to the main screen. If I tap on Play, I get a black screen, and some lovely music. If I want to just relax and enjoy the harpsichord and organ, then all is well. But, I do think I might want to give the game a try. What is the problem do you think? I can tell the screen is backlit, but it's just black.

Oh, If I do a backswipe (from center of gesture area to the left) I get a think line of what appears to be the edge of the start Game screen (I'm guessing this based on your images posted earlier). But if I backswipe again it just closes the app.

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 04:05 AM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

If I will do a test build ipk for you will you be able to a) install game from ipk, b) start it from terminal (command line) to see the output?
Old 08/02/2012, 02:09 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
If I will do a test build ipk for you will you be able to a) install game from ipk, b) start it from terminal (command line) to see the output?
I have installed items from ipk (some versions of the new Google Maps by 72ka) but I have not used command line terminal operations on my Pre2 or my Pre+ before. I'm guessing this is something I can learn...if there is a guide or thread on using terminal, I'll be glad to give it a go! Don't go to any effort though until I can say "Yes I Can!"

I'll start looking for information on using terminal command line operations. Is there a homebrew app to use, or is it a native app or synergistic app in webOS?

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0