webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > GC-gogo
GC-gogo
Like Tree11Likes

Old 12/03/2011, 05:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

GC-gogo is a tool for geocaching. It's a fork of precaching.

This app is an unofficial client and not developed or provided by Groundspeak Inc.
A free geocaching.com account is required.

With GC-gogo you can:
- Browse caches by GPS position, coordinates, keyword, GC-code, found by user, hidden by user
- View cache detail
- View spoiler images and gallery
- View logs
- View waypoints
- Add/Delelte waypoints, make a waypoint projection
- Navigate to cache location / waypoints
- View trackables
- Post logs for caches and trackables
- Tweet your finds
- Export to MapTool (Pro)

You can install the latest stable via App Catalog.

Here you can find an unstable beta (installable also via Preware), which is for testing and preview purposes only.

Source code is available @ Github.

GC-gogo is free, but if you like it, feel free to donate.

Last edited by patty21; 03/01/2013 at 06:36 PM.
patty21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by pitsop likes this.
Old 12/07/2011, 05:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

A preview of the upcoming version is now available as gc-gogo beta in Preware:
- revised coordinate management
- added possibility to delete user-defined waypoints (swipe to delete)
- added waypoint projection
- reenabled twitter support
- some minor fixes
Thanked By: MetaView
Old 12/18/2011, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi patty21, thanks for this fork! I was just caching with it. Listing and descriptions are very well, but compass is still less accurate. Just to understand for me: is the compass part of the App or is it a extra app which is used by GC-gogo? Is there a posibillity to make the compass more accurate (more /oftner refreshes, etc)? Maybe installing and using a third-party compass? Or a patch?
TIA KillerKatz
Old 12/19/2011, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The compass is a part of this this app, but it has not beed developed by me. It requests from the internal GPS each second the position with an accuracy of 1m, which is allready the maximum value.
Sure, you can use a third-party-app (i.e. MapTool), but I dont think, that this is more accurate. It only depends on the GPS in your device.
Thanked By: KillerKatz
Old 12/21/2011, 04:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the answer. So I will still take my garmin on tour! Also I have an argument for a new Oregon or somthing like that.
What a luck it's xmas time. Have a merry christmas an keep on caching.
Old 12/27/2011, 06:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

There is a new beta availiable in Preware:
- Fixed coordinate handling in compass
- Minor layout fixes on pre3
Thanked By: KillerKatz
Old 12/30/2011, 07:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

May I have a feature request? In the cache overview the hint is not crypted. Sometimes I've read it accidentally before I've read the full description. Is it possible to encrypt it? The rest of the App works fine (and for the accuracy Santa brought an Oregon )
I'm very glad that you are still working on a gc-App, because a smartphone without GC is useless for me (then I had to change to Android *brrr*).
Thank you very much!
Old 12/30/2011, 05:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I'll change this in the next release.
Old 01/01/2012, 07:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi Patty21,
can I have a feature request called Field Notes?
In App is the way to post directly logs to gc.com, but it is not right way to write long logs on the go. So now, I have to write time and cache name in Notes app and from there log it at home. This works, but this is not much comfortable. Much better could be to post date, type of log and some notes to Field notes. Form can be nearly same, but handling is little bit different.
Now I find out, that field notes can work really nice from mobile devices. Way is only to send small TXT file via HTTP. More info can be find here: http://www.geocaching.com/my/fieldnotes.aspx or in some discusions. Or if you would have some questions, just write. I made it working by uploading TXT file made by hand form computer (just test).
And BTW Happy New Year
Jakuje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2012, 05:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hi Patty21,

beside the bug in the compass (see other thread) I have another issue with the logs: they are displayed empty (only name and result-logo is visible, but not the comment, see screenshot).

My current workaround is to swith to the cache website.
Attached Images
File Type: png gcgogo_2012-05-01_111031.png (62.6 KB, 22 views) Email Attachment
florik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2012, 06:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quick thought... The Pre3 has a built-in magnetic compass... Could it be made so that the app uses the built-in compass if you're using a Pre3?

Actually, there should be a toggle in case you want to use the GPS heading instead, since you need to hold the phone flat, so if you weren't, it'd be incorrect. Jason Robotaille has a compass app that works well.
Vermithrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2012, 08:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The compass bug has been solved, v1.1.1 is available in AppCat.

@Jakuje: Is it sufficient when you can mark your finds or you want to add a text like in logs? I never used this feature.

@florik: We have to debug the log issue, I'll write you a PM.

@Vermithrax: I currently don't know, how to access the compass. As long as you're moving, the compass should point to the destination. It is calculated using the last coordinates from GPS. The compass may help you, if you're not moving. I need some time to see, how this works and read some docs. But this is not on my priority list.
Old 01/09/2012, 05:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Patty21:
I never used it too because I have had no app or GPS supporting it But Handy Geocaching use it directly, official applications use something like this (but somehow obfuscated with GC Live API) and from Oregon you must manualy upload textfile.

File contains date, time, log type and some note. There are some working files from our trip copied from friends Oregon:
http://files.dta3.com/jakuje/webos/_geocache_visits.txt
http://files.dta3.com/jakuje/webos/geocache_visits.txt
(don't know why the hell there in browser looks the file so terrible. Each text editor you can read it as normal text. As i can see with strange encoding - UTF16 according to BOM at the begin).

My idea is to add something like a new "plugin" and add action send field notes very similarly as sending new logs from app and by submit simply send one row file to geocaching.

And to compass:
there is one working app using compass for inspiration. It would be great feature
https://developer.palm.com/appredire...coding.compass
Old 01/09/2012, 05:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty21 View Post
@Vermithrax: I currently don't know, how to access the compass. As long as you're moving, the compass should point to the destination. It is calculated using the last coordinates from GPS. The compass may help you, if you're not moving. I need some time to see, how this works and read some docs. But this is not on my priority list.
Just a heads-up, the compass on the Pre3 (it the only webOS smartphone with a compass) can be access via the "compass" event broadcast to the document. The event parameter returned will include both event.trueHeading and event.magHeading. However it's worth noting the Pre3's compass can be very inaccurate if not held perfectly flat.

For walks, however, the GPS-based compass probably gonna be more accurate/less fussy.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2012, 05:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

Hello Patty21,

is there a chance to solve the google map bug on the Pre 3. It is not possible to move the map segment. On the Touchpad i have solved the problem with the entry "uiRevision": 2 in the appinfo.json and an increase of the pixel height in the css-class "map-portrait". Now the map on the TP is in fullscreen and movable and i can select the caches.
silvkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2012, 05:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The map is also on my priority list. Since google maps was replaced by bing maps, the old google maps is not fully supported anymore. For bing maps I can find only documentation for enyo apps (we have a mojo app), I don't know, if (and how) it is possible to change to bing maps.
For now, I will try to export caches to MapTool.
Old 01/24/2012, 06:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi,
one more thought. Have you tried go4cache? Does it work it for you? I tried to share my location, but on web, I can't see myself on map.
I didn't tried to debug it, but there could be some changes on website, since georgo left webOS platform (it is commonly used by users of cgeo on Android).
Old 03/07/2012, 01:54 PM   #18 (permalink)

Is it possible to include opencaching.de and/or opencaching.com to GC-gogo?
The advantage is that it's just one time to include, because they don't change their protocol every six month, like Groundspeak it does. So it's less effort to maintain.

Last edited by KillerKatz; 03/08/2012 at 07:14 AM.
KillerKatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2012, 09:06 PM   #19 (permalink)

Hi,
I'm new to geocaching, but I found my first "treasure" today and I'm happy. Your great app doesn't seem to work with "premium members only" caches on geocaching.com. I always get "Problem error occurred on cache code parsing". It works with other non-premium entries. Is there a fix for this?
Thanks,
Scott
mscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2012, 06:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscott
I'm new to geocaching, but I found my first "treasure" today and I'm happy. Your great app doesn't seem to work with "premium members only" caches on geocaching.com. I always get "Problem error occurred on cache code parsing". It works with other non-premium entries. Is there a fix for this?
You got a premium membership before you found your first treasure? Thats nice.
Can somebody else reproduce this? I'm not a premium member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKatz View Post
Is it possible to include opencaching.de and/or opencaching.com to GC-gogo?
This is possible, but I dont have time to implement this. Currently I'm working to bring the map back online. The new map on the gc website is crappy ...

I just uploaded a new version to the AppCat for approval. I removed the old, not working map and there are some other minor fixes. If you are using the current beta, there is nothing new, you can ignore this release.
Thanked By: uwer

Tags
geocaching

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0