Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Thanks for the great app! The volume was too low on the touchpad before.

One problem (not really a problem, just wondering) I found is that if I put the boost and the volume on max the sound gets really really crappy and always have an electric noise in the background, I tried with several headphones so it couldn't be the headphones. But when I keep the boost full and turn the volume a bit down everything works normal again. Is this normal? Not that I need the max volume, just curious.
    This is normal for just about any audio path. Its design and the quality of the components determine things like signal-to-noise ratio which comes into play as you amplify the signal or source. If the circuit is noisy (it gets interference from the other electrical parts around it), not isolated or is made of relatively cheap components, that interference will also be amplified along w/ the signal.

Sometimes its a bit better if the amplification is done to a relatively clean signal after it has been processed and output from the device. Amplified headphones will take care of that.

Aside from its behavior (interface issues on the Pre 3) this is a great app. I've yet to test it on the TP.
    I think one of the main features of 'Beats Audio' on the TP is to clean up the Audio signal/remove electrical interference through good grounding/shielding?

Does 'TouchVol' run happily in conjunction with the 'Increase Vol' patch?
    Or does the 'Boost' feature provide the same function?
    I still have that patch installed and have noticed that sometimes 'TouchVol' Boost sets itself to 'Max' with no other input from me!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 11/27/2011 at 04:57 AM.
  4.    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle9527 View Post
    Is this normal? Not that I need the max volume, just curious.
    I generally don't recommend using Boost beyond the middle setting and really it's only particularly useful for the speakers. Headphone volume is better off tweaked with the other settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    I think one of the main features of 'Beats Audio' on the TP is to clean up the Audio signal/remove electrical interference through good grounding/shielding?

Does 'TouchVol' run happily in conjunction with the 'Increase Vol' patch?
    Or does the 'Boost' feature provide the same function?
    I still have that patch installed and have noticed that sometimes 'TouchVol' Boost sets itself to 'Max' with no other input from me!
    'Beats' is really just marketing gimmickry as far as I'm concerned. It may have components which actually help but the lack of a true definition of features places it squarely in the marketing zone. I didn't bother putting in any controls for the software component of Beats because it seems to do almost nothing.

The 'Increase Volume' patch is effectively the Boost control in Touchvol. If you have it installed, rebooting will set the Boost control to max, or if you have the light version thats the same as the middle.
    tobeaman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bi0tech View Post
    I generally don't recommend using Boost beyond the middle setting and really it's only particularly useful for the speakers. Headphone volume is better off tweaked with the other settings.

'Beats' is really just marketing gimmickry as far as I'm concerned. It may have components which actually help but the lack of a true definition of features places it squarely in the marketing zone. I didn't bother putting in any controls for the software component of Beats because it seems to do almost nothing.

The 'Increase Volume' patch is effectively the Boost control in Touchvol. If you have it installed, rebooting will set the Boost control to max, or if you have the light version thats the same as the middle.
    Sure.. one would expect that with all the 'Beats' hype, that it would at least EQ the signal!

Thanks for the 'Boost' info.. I thought that was probably what was occurring.
    I'll uninstall the Increase Vol. patch.

Due to my laziness to mess around with the equalizer..has anyone got an recommended settings?
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    Due to my laziness to mess around with the equalizer..has anyone got an recommended settings?
    I guess I would have to punt and say it depends on the source material, what I am using the play it back (which headset I am using, or using the back speaker), and what the ambient noise is like.

How's that for a non-answer?
    Sprint Treo 650 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> Sprint Centro --> Sprint Pre- --> AT&T Veer/ Pre 2/ Pre 3, Touchpad
  8.    #108  
    Pre-release ver4 is linked in the top post and hopefully this should become 0.1.0 sometime this week. Two things which I definitely would like info from on the Pre3:
    1. Do all the default icons show correctly in the 'save to profile' screen?
    2. Does the luna patch launch profiles correctly? (ie, with it installed the profile should execute without loading the gui)

The emulator for 2.2 requires one more change to work right but I'm not sure if it's just being a wonky emu or if it's a webOS 2.x thing.)

Also, unrelated note: Anyone have a use for having the headset and speakers active at the same time? I'm not sure about any impedance issues or anything yet, just something I don't have a use for myself.
    Last edited by bi0tech; 12/16/2011 at 03:56 AM.
    Actually, something that maybe you can find a solution for, since you seem to know the volume business pretty well ..

When paired to a webOS 2.2.4 phone, using the Bluetooth audio link to the TouchPad to make telephone calls.. neither the built-in volume controls, nor TouchVol are able to adjust the speaker volume - at all - except for the "Gain" control.

Any idea if there's another channel hiding here that we should have control over?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    @bi0tech
    Pls double check that archive in OP. Possibly damaged.

github files are also in bad need of an update
  11.    #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    @bi0tech
    Pls double check that archive in OP. Possibly damaged.

github files are also in bad need of an update
    Downloaded and installed fine from the first post link here.

Eh, 0.0.2 & 0.0.3 were both nearly identical to 0.0.1 just revisions to fix a packaging issue and the state restore. It will get updated when 0.1.0 is pushed out.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I'm a littlebit puzzled here. The preware version sias 0.0.3 in preware, but shows 0.0.1 when installed?

The file in the original thread does not contain a proper ipk file when unzipped??

Nevermind, the zip is not a zip, but the actual ipk :/
    Last edited by spud101; 12/17/2011 at 12:33 PM.
    Lookin real good!

I played around w/ it a bit - created a profile (speech), set a background and patched Luna. Things are gr8 post reboot. I noticed the black bar at the bottom of the screen, which is Pre 3-specific. I patched it w/ no results. Not a big issue; maybe in the next update?
  14.    #114  
    Lookin real good!

I played around w/ it a bit - created a profile (speech), set a background and patched Luna. Things are gr8 post reboot. I noticed the black bar at the bottom of the screen, which is Pre 3-specific. I patched it w/ no results. Not a big issue; maybe in the next update?

New prerelease-5 version up now. I had totally forgotten about the black bar thing. I remember I couldn't find the fix when I looked originally. It should be fixed now. Also scaled some things so it fits better. It seems a bit packed to me, but it's about the only way it will fit in smartphone land it seems.

With no new bug reports Ill probably push this out Sunday sometime.
    hi bi0tech,

LOVE Touchvol! Access to the equalizer makes the Pre 3 quite good for music! Thanks! I can't believe that this functionality is built in to the P3 and the TP, but equalizer controls weren't included in the native HP music player and even most of the 3rd party ones don't have it!

I do have a few requests which may make Touchvol even cooler!

Is there any chance you could add a some key tick lines to the equalizer sliders? Like for zero and then a few dividing ticks for postive and negative? (kind of like this but with less divisions http://www.dak.com/reviews/imagesR4/..._Slidersss.jpg) Also it would be great if you could display the actual numeric values along side the equalizer and volume sliders, like maybe to the right or to the left of the sliders (ie. this one has the current value for each band shown on the bottom of each slider http://jrs-s.net/wp-content/uploads/...seaudio-eq.png ) (it doesn't have to be in dB, just the current numerical value would be great, like -64 to +64 or however many steps are there). With that information, it would make it easier to remember what your settings were before you made a change and it would be easier to recreate settings on somebody else's TP or P3, or in a new eq preset. One last thing, can you state the values used for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th equalizer bands and the boost range? Are the middle bands 125Hz, 1KHz and 8KHz? Is the boost range +/- 12dB?

Thanks again for making this! For anyone who loves audio on the P3 or the TP, Touchvol is indispensible.
    Last edited by jayteeee; 12/23/2011 at 02:22 AM.
    tobeaman likes this.
    Good ideas! I just thought of something; maybe someone can try it.
    Can the launchpoints be exported to different devices (Pre3 -> Pre3, TP -> TP or cross device)? That would be cool if they can be beamed, mailed or copied and immediately used.

bi0tech??
  17.    #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayteeee View Post
    hi bi0tech,
    Is there any chance you could add a some key tick lines to the equalizer sliders? Like for zero and then a few dividing ticks for postive and negative? (kind of like this but with less divisions http://www.dak.com/reviews/imagesR4/..._Slidersss.jpg) Also it would be great if you could display the actual numeric values along side the equalizer and volume sliders, like maybe to the right or to the left of the sliders (ie. this one has the current value for each band shown on the bottom of each slider http://jrs-s.net/wp-content/uploads/...seaudio-eq.png ) (it doesn't have to be in dB, just the current numerical value would be great, like -64 to +64 or however many steps are there). With that information, it would make it easier to remember what your settings were before you made a change and it would be easier to recreate settings on somebody else's TP or P3, or in a new eq preset. One last thing, can you state the values used for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th equalizer bands and the boost range? Are the middle bands 125Hz, 1KHz and 8KHz? Is the boost range +/- 12dB?
    Position markers, ehh... maybe. The sliders are colored on 20% bands except for Boost which only has 3 positions.

You'd have to dig into the driver to find the exact freq points.

Good ideas! I just thought of something; maybe someone can try it.
    Can the launchpoints be exported to different devices (Pre3 -> Pre3, TP -> TP or cross device)? That would be cool if they can be beamed, mailed or copied and immediately used.

bi0tech??
    Some form of export to file for profiles is on my radar. Probably xml/json based file with a unique extension so I can register a handler for it.

All of the profile data is stored in localstorage. Use any sqlite viewer/app to read it if you like. File is located in /var/palm/data/localstorage. You can just copy this file from device to device if you want to clone all the profiles.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    What's the difference between Media volume and Headphone volume? Which should I increase first to have the best sound quality?
  19.    #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by jpzsports View Post
    What's the difference between Media volume and Headphone volume? Which should I increase first to have the best sound quality?
    In my experience there really shouldn't be much difference with the Touchpad. The primary limiting factor is the final output level. I generally suggest using the Boost control only with speaker output.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I loved the touchvol.Thanks for developing this apps. Just one query and a suggestion

Query - there is the control for the headset setting. How can I control the touchpad speaker?

suggestion - will be great if there is a feature to turn Mono L or Mono R on. This will be great for karaoke songs with touchpad!