webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > PreGo GPS
PreGo GPS
Like Tree14Likes

Old 09/29/2011, 01:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

PreGo GPS is Bluetooth server app running on your webOS phone and send position data as NMEA strings to your TouchPad running MapTool Pro. NMEA is the industry standard for external GPS devices, that means you could also use it as external GPS device for other uses.
MetaView is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by grappler, sorli and stbuerger like this.
Old 09/29/2011, 02:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Unbelievable, your Phone = your GPS mouse.
Have to try it with Maptool on TP.
Thanks
Old 09/29/2011, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaView View Post
PreGo GPS is Bluetooth server app running on your webOS phone and send position data as NMEA strings to your TouchPad running MapTool Pro. NMEA is the industry standard for external GPS devices, that means you could also use it as external GPS device for other uses.
Sounds very interesting. Where can I find more details on "PreGo"?
-sb
stbuerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2011, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

I hope in Preware soon...
Liked by sq5 and geekpeter like this.
Thanked By: mens-mundi
Old 09/29/2011, 07:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Beautiful. Next, Ndrive HD, and we're cookin'.
grappler is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by LocoTreoGurl and sq5 like this.
Old 09/30/2011, 02:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm hoping to use this in the States next week. My poor TomTom only covers Europe. Coupled with MapTool's smart caching I should be fine without a roaming data connection.

Thanks MetaView
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2011, 02:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Just in case it isn't approved by precentral before, you might send me an email for the .ipk file before you leave to the States.

Thanked By: hagster
Old 09/30/2011, 11:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

PreGO GPS works all the same on an old Pre- that no longer has service, correct? It's just using the bluetooth and GPS hardware it sounds like.

This could be another great way to reuse an old Pre after doing a FrankenPre conversion, or just switching to another phone.

Last edited by sq5; 03/21/2012 at 08:18 PM.
ArchonAdvisors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2011, 12:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ok, PreGo GPS is now available in Preware. It needs webOS 2.0 but no internet service. But my experience was that on a Pre2 you will not get a location fix with airplane mode on. You can disable network connection, but somehow it needs a switched on GSM part. YMMV
Old 09/30/2011, 08:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

any chance of getting it to work for 1.4.5 on an orig pre? You have a money maker here!

on load it returns an error of com.palm.Bluetooth is not running

Last edited by rhermsen; 09/30/2011 at 08:41 PM.
rhermsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2011, 11:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

yeah same problem here. I have 1.4.5 bought your map app thinking I could get it to work with my pre. Should have done a little more research I guess. Your app looks great though. If you get prego working for 1.4.5 it would attract lots of people. Keep up your good work!
yourdiyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2011, 12:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

I'm getting an error=0 what does that mean?

Last edited by yourdiyguy; 10/01/2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 10/01/2011, 02:07 AM   #13 (permalink)

Error=0 means no error and you're ready to connect.

The problem with 1.4.5 is the missing serial bluetooth profile and there is no way to implement it into 1.4.5.
All you can do is update your Pre to 2.0 which isn't official supported but works. There are lot of threads here about it.
Liked by sq5 and MartinH@webos like this.
Old 10/01/2011, 10:25 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaView View Post
Error=0 means no error and you're ready to connect.

The problem with 1.4.5 is the missing serial bluetooth profile and there is no way to implement it into 1.4.5.
All you can do is update your Pre to 2.0 which isn't official supported but works. There are lot of threads here about it.
Shame...ran 2.1 for 3 months until my Pre- came to a halt functionality wise and had to switch back to 1.4.5.

I was just about to ask if the GPS in Pre phones work without a Cell Carrier and Data service like Sprint 3G? I suspect I'll be upgrading and moving on to something else phone wise and could see using my Pre phone as a GPS dongle and WIFi only interface if this would work.

Either way, I'll need to figure out how to strip down webOS 2.1 by then and reinstall it on my Pre- to make this feature work. Thanks for the info and looking forward to future options you develop! Sorli...
sorli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2011, 12:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
webOS Enthusiast

I'm pretty interested in this. So currently this only works with maptools atm... We need to update ndrive for this. I'd prefer for it to work with the other GPS program but that's up to the dev

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
Abyssul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2011, 01:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

^^ I think everyone would love this to work with MapTools Pro and NDrive...the more options the better! I guess his only limitation relates to NDrive supporting other GPS options if and when the come available. Does anyone know if PreGo and NDrive support the same standard communication wise? I don't know much about how GPS interfaces communicate, but I'd love to know if any of these options would be possible? Thanks, Sorli...
sorli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2011, 03:53 PM   #17 (permalink)

if I'm reading this correct, I can connect my pre3 to my touchpad and use the GPS on that. If so, how. I turn on preGo and bt, until its running then turn on bt on the TP, and it should work?
andymckay2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2011, 04:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

sorli, I was able to get it to work with my old sprint pre that I doctored to 2.1 (its an extra) it has no cell service but I was able to get the GPS to work by turning off WiFi. Hope that helps some people out. Maybe someone can make a patch for a 1.4.5 pre bc 2.1 is really taxing on my extra sprint pre, that's why I kept 1.4.5 on my daily user.
Old 10/02/2011, 08:14 AM   #19 (permalink)

This looks great but you need to add the disclaimer that it will not work with Pre minuses. After reading your directions I had to buy maptool Pro only to learn, after $3 and a half hour of trouble shooting, that it won't work with my Pre-. I have no qualms about purchasing apps and supporting the Pre devs and homebrew (they are the reason that I still have a Pre-) but Maptool Pro, as nice of an app as it is, is not a purchase I would have made.
ll
sciteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2011, 08:47 AM   #20 (permalink)

If you wouldn't want MapTool Pro, what the reason to use PreGo? There is no other use for it right now. A disclaimer about webOS 2 or better wouldn't be bad, right.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0