webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > PreGo GPS
PreGo GPS
Like Tree14Likes

Old 10/02/2011, 09:23 AM   #21 (permalink)

I think sciteach is trying say he thought he could get it to work with his pre-. If he knew that he couldn't he would have not bought the app. I'm in the same boat but luckily I have an extra pre- that I doctored to 2.1 so I was able to play around with it some.
yourdiyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2011, 10:20 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciteach View Post
This looks great but you need to add the disclaimer that it will not work with Pre minuses. After reading your directions I had to buy maptool Pro only to learn, after $3 and a half hour of trouble shooting, that it won't work with my Pre-. I have no qualms about purchasing apps and supporting the Pre devs and homebrew (they are the reason that I still have a Pre-) but Maptool Pro, as nice of an app as it is, is not a purchase I would have made.
ll
Sorry to hear that. OK he forgot to mention the restriction for his free app he probably worked some days on.
If you send me a paypal account I send you that 3 bucks.

Last edited by somline; 10/02/2011 at 12:46 PM.
somline is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sorli likes this.
Old 10/02/2011, 12:38 PM   #23 (permalink)

2.49 it is, or?
MetaView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2011, 02:30 AM   #24 (permalink)

not quite sure what i'm doing wrong here. When I run maptool hd the gps pop up only show internal. I turn on BT, run PreGo, go to the touchpad and when looking for BT connections is it supposed to show PreGo or something by another name or does the Pre3/Touchpad BT connection cover it. It just seems as if the TP isn't seeing the output from the pre3 gps stream.
PreGo has got my location as I can see the co-ordinates on the phone and no error codes present themselves, s everything seems to be ok Pre side.
Not sure if i'm missing something or I read everything wrong and it just doesn't work.
Any helo would be appreciated
andymckay2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2011, 04:45 AM   #25 (permalink)

Please read point 3 and 4 of the description: http://www.precentral.net/prego-gps-free
MapTool displays a filtered list of all paired BT-devices. The filter string is GPS.
Old 10/04/2011, 06:00 PM   #26 (permalink)

Excellent, many thanks
andymckay2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 01:33 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorli View Post

I was just about to ask if the GPS in Pre phones work without a Cell Carrier and Data service like Sprint 3G? I suspect I'll be upgrading and moving on to something else phone wise and could see using my Pre phone as a GPS dongle and WIFi only interface if this would work.
Yes, you should be able to run this just fine without any 3G service. All it seems to need running are the GPS and Bluetooth radios. An old Pre would make a great candidate.
ArchonAdvisors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 01:38 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourdiyguy View Post
sorli, I was able to get it to work with my old sprint pre that I doctored to 2.1 (its an extra) it has no cell service but I was able to get the GPS to work by turning off WiFi. Hope that helps some people out. Maybe someone can make a patch for a 1.4.5 pre bc 2.1 is really taxing on my extra sprint pre, that's why I kept 1.4.5 on my daily user.
I put 2.1 on my Pre-, and with just a bit of tweaking, it runs just as well, if not better, than 1.4.5 did. Make sure you install uberkernal/govnah and bump your cpu to 800 or 1000 for starters. There are a few patches for turning down extra logging and such that really help things run smooth. Also I would enable compchache and follow the instructions for permanently increasing it to 32mb. (Btw, all of these things can be done on a 1.4.5 phone too, but make even more of a difference in 2.1).
ArchonAdvisors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 03:14 PM   #29 (permalink)

just in case anyone is wondering it will also work along side Freetether.
Freetether connected via WiFi for data and maps.
Prego connected via Bluetooth for GPS.

this is what I've been waiting for. . . . It adds a whole new dimension to the webOS experience and also adds a whole new level of usability.

Great work guys.
mc_wardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by capt4chris, frantid
Old 10/06/2011, 09:47 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourdiyguy View Post
sorli, I was able to get it to work with my old sprint pre that I doctored to 2.1 (its an extra) it has no cell service but I was able to get the GPS to work by turning off WiFi. Hope that helps some people out. Maybe someone can make a patch for a 1.4.5 pre bc 2.1 is really taxing on my extra sprint pre, that's why I kept 1.4.5 on my daily user.
@yourdiyguy...What do you me that 2.1 was "taxing" on your Sprint Pre-? Do you mean poor battery life or poor performance or even both? I to have a Pre- that's on 1.4.5. I would doctor it up to 2.1 if it that's the only way to get this to work with my TP.
Thanks
docfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 10:19 AM   #31 (permalink)

it just is slower than 1.4.5. Its running at 1ghz and I have messed with compache and was never able to get it as fast as my daily use 1.4.5 pre. I also have problems with it missing key strokes when I type with it. I know some people will prob disagree but imo it is not worth doctoring to 2.1
Old 10/06/2011, 10:21 AM   #32 (permalink)

I cannot comment on battery life bc the battery in the pre I have running on my 2.1 is wayyyy older than the one in the 1.4.5 pre
Old 11/15/2011, 08:22 AM   #33 (permalink)

Hello all!
Has anybody tried pair palm Pre 2 with Garmin PC appl. ? Everything looks good in PreGo server was running Pre2 paired with BT but Garmin appl. can't found Pre2. It will be very fine if somebody understand and can modify the source code on universal external GPS modul. Has anybody idea how to do this?

Regards

@ljosh@
@ljosh@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2011, 08:34 AM   #34 (permalink)

Maybe the Garmin PC appl. checks for special Garmin strings? Is it supposed to work with any BT GPS receiver?
Old 11/16/2011, 08:44 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaView View Post
Maybe the Garmin PC appl. checks for special Garmin strings? Is it supposed to work with any BT GPS receiver?
Of course that Garmin is recomending to buy their GPS reciver named GPS 20x NMEA spec is: (NMEA Protokol: NMEA 0183, sentences GGA/GSA/GSV/GLL/RMC/VTG). But in my case it works normally with this receiver: Leadtek 9553 BT GPS receiver with out problems paired via BT.
@ljosh@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2011, 08:47 AM   #36 (permalink)

Then I can't help you. It works for sure with MapTool Pro, if it works with any other GPS app is out of my knowledge.
Old 11/19/2011, 12:24 PM   #37 (permalink)

Some **** broke into my car and stole my bluetooth gps that I used with tom-tom on my T3 - this could get my pre 2 talking to the t3? I'll try it!

Dave
Daveeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2011, 12:29 PM   #38 (permalink)

Sry about it. But yes, it should work.
Old 11/19/2011, 04:25 PM   #39 (permalink)

No luck so far - T3 (Palm Tungsten T3 that is) sees the pre as a phone but tomtom isn't connecting to it as a gps :-(

Dave
Daveeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2011, 04:39 PM   #40 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

hmm. I'm looking at trying this, I see that it also supports WiFi connection to the TouchPad, as well. Would that work in a car that has WiFi, without a direct internet? *hoping so*

Also, my Pre- only gives me 1000meter resolution, and only when my radios are all on. Otherwise, I get a GPS error.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0