09/20/2011, 11:38 PM
Kindle Import is an App for the HP TouchPad that will faciliate sideloading books into the Kindle application. This application can be used in conjuction with Calibre (calibre - E-book management) and/or the mobi metadata and cover image extraction tool developed by m0ngr31 which can be downloaded from http://www.joeipson.com/kindleSide.zip (Windows only). See post 10 below for script usage instructions.
Kindle Import will import mobi files from the /media/internal/.palmkindle directory and cover images from the /media/internal/.palmkindle/coverCache directory. The book file name must be in one of the formats:
TITLE - AUTHOR.mobi
TITLE - AUTHOR - ASIN.mobi
TITLE - AUTHOR - ASIN - TOTAL_LOCATIONS.mobi
e.g. Way of Shadows, The - Brent Weeks - AABBCCCDDEE - 3752.mobi
If you do not provide an ASIN number a number will be generated. If you do not provide the TOTAL_LOCATIONS a default of 15000 will be used. The default values for ASIN and TOTAL_LOCATIONS will work fine, however, if the default 15000 TOTAL_LOCATIONS is used your progress bar in the Kindle Application will not accurately represent your progress in the book (in our example you might be on the last page of the book but your progress bar might only show 30%).
As mentioned above if you are not in the mood to rename all of your books you can make use of Calibre and/or m0ngr31s script. Calibre allows you to convert books from just about any format to mobi. Using the default settings calibre will convert the books to a compatible naming convention. Calibre also includes a "Send to Device" feature and recognizes the TouchPad as a device. You must have the TouchPad in USB Drive mode in order for Calibre to detect it.
Calibre 0.8.20 supports cover exporting for WebOS. If you have already imported your books using Kindle Import you will need to use the Delete Imported Books function followed by Load Books then Import Books after sending the books and covers from Calibre.
The Windows script written by m0ngre31 will extract cover images, ASIN number, and total locations from mobi files. You can then copy the files over to the TouchPad over USB to the appropriate directories.
See the Help dialog accessible through the menu for detailed usage instructions.
Install from preware or download from here.
Installation and Usage Tips
- If you get an operation error while loading and/or importing books reboot your TouchPad.
- On rare occasions a restart does not solve the operation error. I have not been able to reproduce this issue but some users have been able to resolve it by downloading and installing the ipk while removing certain patches has resolved the issue for others. Please review the posts in this thread for possible solutions if you continue to have this problem.
- If you use Kindle Import to remove a book make sure the book is not open in Kindle otherwise when you open Kindle it will hang and require you to de/reregister to fix it. If you reregister Kindle it will delete the book directory and you will need to copy the books to the device again. You can avoid this by backing up the .palmkindle directory and restoring it after you register.
- Locations are not the same as page numbers. As mentioned above the only side effect of using the default 15k is that the book progress indicator will not be accurate in Kindle. If you did not use m0ngr3l's script to prepare the books you can edit the book locations. First, open the book, go to the last page, and write down the current location. Now, open Kindle Import, tap the Load Existing Books button, find your book, touch the locations text, enter the actual value, hit enter or tap another part of the screen, then close and reopen the book in Kindle
- m0ngr31 for his code and idea contributions and his excellent mobi metadata extraction tool
- Everyone who helped test and offered ideas for the application
- Kindle Import is licensed under the MIT license.
- Added debug logging to assist in resolving issues
- Moved the book list below the feature buttons to make the buttons more accessible
- Code refactoring and optimizations
- Added the ability to delete one or more books in addition to the delete all books option
- Added the ability to change the book "locations" field prior or after importing
- Disabled buttons that should not be used while in the current view
- Added the ablity to choose which books to import (defaults to all)
- User interface enhancements
- Updated help dialog to reflect the new changes
- Added launch icon
- Updated help dialog text
- Added a default cover image if a cover image is not provided
- Updated README and the Help Dialog to reflect the functional changes in 1.1.4
- Version 1.1.4 of the app should fix the database permissions issue
- Version 1.1.2 of the app automatically add the database permissions needed for the app to work. You no longer need to copy the com.palm.kindle file (thanks m0ngr31)
- Added support for Calibre exports
- Initial release with support for importing books based on data extracted from a pipe-delimited metadata export file