Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jnkbox@hotmail.com View Post
    I downloaded the Quick Install program to my laptop. I then downloaded the Kindle Import program to the laptop. I launched the Quick Install program, then drug the Kindle Import program there and clicked install. It doesn't recognize my device (HP Touchpad) although I can see the files that are on the Touchpad, so that would indicate that the device is hooked up properly. This is my first attempt at installing one of your aps. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank You
    If you can see the files you are in USB mode. That's not what you want. Just press on CLOSE when you plug in the USB cable.
    I downloaded the Quick Install program to my laptop. I then downloaded the Kindle Import program to the laptop. I launched the Quick Install program, then drug the Kindle Import program there and clicked install. It doesn't recognize my device (HP Touchpad) although I can see the files that are on the Touchpad, so that would indicate that the device is hooked up properly. This is my first attempt at installing one of your aps. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank You
    search the forum on quick install and preware too. You have to be in dev mode and just charge for qi to see your device.

Thank You
    plug the touchpad in, but do not pit it in in USB mode. Instead press "ignore" or cancel and let it sit on the launcher screen. Then quickinstall will see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    If you can see the files you are in USB mode. That's not what you want. Just press on CLOSE when you plug in the USB cable.
    OK, I pressed cancel and I get "device not found".
    Quote Originally Posted by joedisaster View Post
    search the forum on quick install and preware too. You have to be in dev mode and just charge for qi to see your device.
    What is dev mode?
    What is dev mode?
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ted-guide.html
    Read that guide first. It'll help you get WebOS Quick Install working and get your device in developer mode.
    A dumb question here. Does anybody have any experience of reading non-english books. If I have a .txt in foreign langusge. Can I follow the Calibre ----> Kindle Import process to have it work on Kindle?
    Quote Originally Posted by stone11 View Post
    A dumb question here. Does anybody have any experience of reading non-english books. If I have a .txt in foreign langusge. Can I follow the Calibre ----> Kindle Import process to have it work on Kindle?
    I don't see why it shouldn't work. All it is doing is converting it by character. It isn't trying to read the file as words.
    I have YET to get Kindle to import any of my books. This is a HACK. No wonder H.P. failed in this market!
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Have you tried following my instructions above?

Alan
  11.    #171  
    Quote Originally Posted by kenpappas View Post
    I have YET to get Kindle to import any of my books. This is a HACK. No wonder H.P. failed in this market!
    It's called homebrew and just like all of the homebrew patches and applications ymmv. Hell I want my Supersonic HD game that 3.0.4 broke to work again and I paid for it. I didn't buy the touchpad expecting the same quality and quantity of apps that iOS offers and I submit to you that you should not have either. If you are not up for the challenge I suggest the iPad 2 which will offer a better experience for you but be warned it's not perfect.

Kindle Import Is doing exactly what it was designed to do and it works for the majority of users. I am sorry that it is not working for you and honestly I wish I had your TP in front of me so I could figure out why. This works without a hitch on the 6 TP's I have access to.
    If you like my work on Kindle Import and the Calibre WebOS plugin and want to contribute toward improvements and future WebOS projects.

m0ngr31 likes this.
    I want to thank you again for Kindle Import. Without it, the TP wouldn't be much of an eReader.
    cincytouchpad likes this.
  13.    #173  
    Quote Originally Posted by VitaminD View Post
    I want to thank you again for Kindle Import. Without it, the TP wouldn't be much of an eReader.
    Thanks I am glad to hear it and I agree wholeheartedly.
    If you like my work on Kindle Import and the Calibre WebOS plugin and want to contribute toward improvements and future WebOS projects.

Quote Originally Posted by pizzaboy192 View Post
    plug the touchpad in, but do not pit it in in USB mode. Instead press "ignore" or cancel and let it sit on the launcher screen. Then quickinstall will see it.
    I finally got Webos Quickinstall on my computer and got the Kimdle Import program to the Touchpad. I used Mobipocket publisher edition to convert PDF documents. It converted them to .xml and .html. Are these type of files supposed to work? I drug them over to the Kindle folder, rebooted and them pressed the import books button. Says no new books to import. Please help.
    Mobipocket created the following files:

.html .xml .opf .prc. and .jpg and a copy of the original pdf. Which files do I drag to the Kindle folder?
    Mobipocket created the following files:

.html .xml .opf .prc. and .jpg and a copy of the original pdf. Which files do I drag to the Kindle folder?
    Try Calibre. You need .mobi files to make Kindle Import work. .Mobi files are what the real Kindle uses, and Amazon's Kindle Beta app uses them too.
    It's the simple-ist way to get it to work.
    Calibre will detect the Touchpad and copy them over automagically as well. (as long as it's in USB mode)
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    Thanks for the kudos. I have validated that highlighting does not work on imported books. I will see if I can figure out why this is not working tonight.
    Any update on the issue where highlights are not retained on side loaded books? Thanks for all you've done.
  18.    #178  
    Quote Originally Posted by rdwng11 View Post
    Any update on the issue where highlights are not retained on side loaded books? Thanks for all you've done.
    Replied via PM. I haven't had a lot of time to work on side projects for a while but hopefully I'll find some time to work on this over the weekend. My two priorities are highlighting and the ability to load more than 1k books.

UPDATE: I spent a significant amount of time trying to track down the issue with highlighting and unfortunately it looks like the issue is in Kindle and not Kindle Import. Kindle deals with highlighting, bookmarks, and notes for sideloaded books in a slightly different manner than it does for books purchased through the application. I tried to spoof the data and metadata files for a sideloaded book so that it matches a downloaded book and it still recognized it as sideloaded. Bookmarks and Notes for sideloaded books appear to work but when Kindle stores the db8 record for a highlight it puts in an invalid key so the record is orphaned. At this point I am not confident that I can make highlighting work unless I am able to uncover something I missed or a Kindle update fixes it. For now this issue is going on the back burner.
    Last edited by kjhenrie; 10/31/2011 at 11:57 AM.

I am having the same issue as an earlier poster where the program hangs with the operation in progress line. I have reinstalled/rebooted at every step without issue. The only thing I have not done is Doctoring the pad which the other poster said fixed his problem. Any others experiencing this? You mentioned something about checking file names earlier.. what would I be looking for? It does seem to hang in a particular area so perhaps it is a funny file.
    Definitely strange behavior it seems to not be related to book titles as far as I can see.

When I first started loading the books I was doing them a couple hundred at a time (have 3200 books in the library. I formatted them all from epub to mobi with the Calibre. As I loaded thema couple hundred at a time I noticed that I had multiple copies loaded of each book as I was apparently reloading the first chunk as I loaded the second et cetera. I then went in and deleted the books from the device to start over. When I tried to load the books in a single chunk up to the same spot it hung in operation in progress screen.

Instead of attempting to load them all at once I attempted to load them a couple hundred at a time and now I cannot even load the same books I once had. I also tried deleting and re-registering the kindle app thinking perhaps I had broken some file association or something odd like that by trying to reload the same books I had deleted before... still no help it seems to hate me