Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
  1.    #141  
    Quote Originally Posted by RedWave View Post
    Can I send u my 153 books then?
    Sure If they are good books but I can't promise that I will send them back .

The fact is, maybe if we could edit the locations after importing them in Kindle? One by One....? I like having my whole library at once, so....
    I was really hoping that once Kindle synchronized the books it would set the total locations in the database to the correct value but it doesn't.

It wouldn't be too difficult to add a "Set total locations to current location" button in Kindle if you feel up to the task.

<soapbox>
    I have spent a lot of hours writing Kindle Import and a lot of hours helping people out (which I will continue to do) but to be honest without knowing the future of webOS and with the recent release of CM Android on the TP I am not motivated to spend more time on features that I do not feel are essential. Clearly you feel like having the correct number of locations is important but I don't. I realize it takes 20-30 seconds to set the total locations in a book but if you think about it that is about the time that it takes to read a page of the book.

I have CM installed on my TP and the applications I have been using for more than a year on my other CM tablet which include Aldiko. In the discussions I have followed the mood of TP users seem to lean toward Android being the preference for apps and honestly I don't disagree. It's sad but it's true. My motivation was to help improve or replace the core webOS applications before everyone jumped ship but I am guessing that goal is too lofty.

If another company purchases webOS or something else happens that paints a more promising future for webOS then I will reconsider but for now I am not going to spend a lot more of my time developing or enhancing apps for it.
    </soapbox>
    If you like my work on Kindle Import and the Calibre WebOS plugin and want to contribute toward improvements and future WebOS projects.

Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    Sure If they are good books but I can't promise that I will send them back .

I was really hoping that once Kindle synchronized the books it would set the total locations in the database to the correct value but it doesn't.

It wouldn't be too difficult to add a "Set total locations to current location" button in Kindle if you feel up to the task.

<soapbox>
    I have spent a lot of hours writing Kindle Import and a lot of hours helping people out (which I will continue to do) but to be honest without knowing the future of webOS and with the recent release of CM Android on the TP I am not motivated to spend more time on features that I do not feel are essential. Clearly you feel like having the correct number of locations is important but I don't. I realize it takes 20-30 seconds to set the total locations in a book but if you think about it that is about the time that it takes to read a page of the book.

I have CM installed on my TP and the applications I have been using for more than a year on my other CM tablet which include Aldiko. In the discussions I have followed the mood of TP users seem to lean toward Android being the preference for apps and honestly I don't disagree. It's sad but it's true. My motivation was to help improve or replace the core webOS applications before everyone jumped ship but I am guessing that goal is too lofty.

If another company purchases webOS or something else happens that paints a more promising future for webOS then I will reconsider but for now I am not going to spend a lot more of my time developing or enhancing apps for it.
    </soapbox>
    I really appreciate the work you have done on this app. I'm not loading Android until there is a final release--and even then I'll probably only be using it for the few things that I can't do in webOS right now. I like webOS alot and am pretty happy with the apps that are available--either through the official app catalog or through the homebrew community. I know there are others like me that are new to webOS but really like it so I hope you do keep working on webOS apps.

Having said that, I don't think it is a big deal to either live with the default location value or to go in and edit it before reading the book--it only takes a second. I'm just happy to be able to get the books onto the Touchpad and read them in the Kindle app. Thanks again for all your hard work on Kindle Import and the help provided here at precentral.

Just an FYI to anyone deleting a book. If you unload it using Kindle Import, the book and cover will still be on your Touchpad drive--the book just won't load into the Kindle app anymore. If you want to completely delete a sideloaded book from the Touchpad, you need to delete the mobi file and cover files from the .palmkindle folder and cover folder after you use Kindle Import to unload it.
    Last edited by elsie2; 10/16/2011 at 06:08 PM.
  3.    #143  
    Quote Originally Posted by elsie2 View Post
    I really appreciate the work you have done on this app. I'm not loading Android until there is a final release--and even then I'll probably only be using it for the few things that I can't do in webOS right now. I like webOS alot and am pretty happy with the apps that are available--either through the official app catalog or through the homebrew community. I know there are others like me that are new to webOS but really like it so I hope you do keep working on webOS apps.

Having said that, I don't think it is a big deal to either live with the default location value or to go in and edit it before reading the book--it only takes a second. I'm just happy to be able to get the books onto the Touchpad and read them in the Kindle app. Thanks again for all your hard work on Kindle Import and the help provided here at precentral.

Just an FYI to anyone deleting a book. If you unload it using Kindle Import, the book and cover will still be on your Touchpad drive--the book just won't load into the Kindle app anymore. If you want to completely delete a sideloaded book from the Touchpad, you need to delete the mobi file and cover files from the .palmkindle folder and cover folder after you use Kindle Import to unload it.
    I am new to webOS too though I have owned Palm devices since the original pilot. I prefer webOS to Android both as a user and a developer. It's really frustrating to see such a great OS wither because of a lack of decent core apps. I hope there are enough people like you and me who will only use Android to fill in gaps until a suitable webOS alternative is available to support the development of such alternatives. I haven't given up yet I intend to reevaluate my position once the smoke clears. Thanks for your comments.
    If you like my work on Kindle Import and the Calibre WebOS plugin and want to contribute toward improvements and future WebOS projects.

Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    About the script, we would need a TEXT OUTPUT with the according locations, OR a webOS plugin in calibre, yeah!
    > The script DEFINITELY messes with names, and I don't want a book to read as "+:,Athr|#-Titl%" (NO WAY?)
    Are you referring to my script that is doing that??

I agree. I was up until 5:30am the other night converting my script to linux, and I'll be lucky if 2 people use it...

I can't speak for kjhenrie, but I've spent several hours writing my scripts and spending lots of time on the forum trying to help people with it (I probably had nearly 200 posts about it so far), and it's not like I have a lot of time to spare (new job + full time college student). And now I'm trying to play with Calibre trying to get the locations to work in there. I know that people appreciates the work we've done (especially kjhenrie since he has done most everything), but for me it gets frustrating when people are just nitpicking everything without willing to contribute anything themselves. I understand that not everyone is a programmer (I wasn't born able to program either ), but the very least you could do is chip in a few bucks so that kj has some incentive to keep going.
  5.    #145  
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngr31 View Post
    Are you referring to my script that is doing that??

I agree. I was up until 5:30am the other night converting my script to linux, and I'll be lucky if 2 people use it...

I can't speak for kjhenrie, but I've spent several hours writing my scripts and spending lots of time on the forum trying to help people with it (I probably had nearly 200 posts about it so far), and it's not like I have a lot of time to spare (new job + full time college student). And now I'm trying to play with Calibre trying to get the locations to work in there. I know that people appreciates the work we've done (especially kjhenrie since he has done most everything), but for me it gets frustrating when people are just nitpicking everything without willing to contribute anything themselves. I understand that not everyone is a programmer (I wasn't born able to program either ), but the very least you could do is chip in a few bucks so that kj has some incentive to keep going.
    Thanks m0ngr31. Your scripts, Kindle Import code contributions and constant support have really helped make this a good experience for users.

Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Thanks m0ngr31. Your scripts, Kindle Import code contributions and constant support have really helped make this a good experience for users.
    Well I haven't put nearly as much time into it as you have.

I'm going to be releasing a script pretty soon (for *nix and Windows) that will just give a list of the books with how many locations they have (and probably send it all out to a text file) so people can manually add them in Kindle Import for all the people who don't want to run my other script.
    Well I haven't put nearly as much time into it as you have.

I'm going to be releasing a script pretty soon (for *nix and Windows) that will just give a list of the books with how many locations they have (and probably send it all out to a text file) so people can manually add them in Kindle Import for all the people who don't want to run my other script.
    Just wanted to thank you for the work on the Kindle script. It's very easy to run. It's nice to be able to convert a book and transfer it to the TP (I use TBtransfer to do that) without having to run Calibre every time. I do use Calibre as well but I like the flexibility of the script. (I'm sure the linux users will appreciate the script you've done for them as well!!!)
    First, let me just say thank you to both m0ngr31 and kjhenrie for all their hard work in coming up with all of this. It's fantastic to be able to sideload books into the Kindle app!

I haven't had any problems getting my books loaded - I've used both the script and the Calibre plug-in and both work without any problems. My question is about after the books have been loaded. Has anyone else had problems when attempting to highlight text in a sideloaded book? I've tested this many times on different books, and when they come from Amazon, the highlight works just fine, but when I highlight text in a sideloaded book, it acts like it's highlighting, but then when I tap to go to the next page, I get a completely blank page and I can no longer do anything in the book. I have to close the app and reopen it, and when I do that, the highlight that I just did is gone. Is this possibly due to something I'm doing when I create the mobi file? My initial files are all HTML and I've tried using both Calibre and Mobipocket Creator to convert them into mobi files, but I get the same results in the Kindle app.

I did some research, and I've found that when I highlight text in a book that came from Amazon, that data is stored in the get[ASIN].json file in the .palmkindle folder, but there's no such corresponding file created when I highlight text in a sideloaded book. Does anyone have any idea how to get this working? Strangely enough, while highlighting doesn't work on my books, adding a note does, but I can't find where it's storing the data for notes, so I can't compare the difference between a highlight and a note.

Oh, and one final note - I do get the following error when I run m0ngr31's script:
    ERROR: generated EXTH does not match original
    MISMATCH POS:7:0xdb:0xdc
    but it creates a mobi file in the .palmkindle folder with the accompanying cover images and that file opens properly in both Mobipocket (on my laptop) and the Kindle app (on my TP), so I didn't think that had anything to do with it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is anyone else experiencing this problem or is it just me?

Thanks!!
    I for one will be using your script ! ;-)
    And I just made a small donation to kjhenrie to help his motivation.

Thanks to both of you for your work.
  10.    #150  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    First, let me just say thank you to both m0ngr31 and kjhenrie for all their hard work in coming up with all of this. It's fantastic to be able to sideload books into the Kindle app!

I haven't had any problems getting my books loaded - I've used both the script and the Calibre plug-in and both work without any problems. My question is about after the books have been loaded. Has anyone else had problems when attempting to highlight text in a sideloaded book? I've tested this many times on different books, and when they come from Amazon, the highlight works just fine, but when I highlight text in a sideloaded book, it acts like it's highlighting, but then when I tap to go to the next page, I get a completely blank page and I can no longer do anything in the book. I have to close the app and reopen it, and when I do that, the highlight that I just did is gone. Is this possibly due to something I'm doing when I create the mobi file? My initial files are all HTML and I've tried using both Calibre and Mobipocket Creator to convert them into mobi files, but I get the same results in the Kindle app.

I did some research, and I've found that when I highlight text in a book that came from Amazon, that data is stored in the get[ASIN].json file in the .palmkindle folder, but there's no such corresponding file created when I highlight text in a sideloaded book. Does anyone have any idea how to get this working? Strangely enough, while highlighting doesn't work on my books, adding a note does, but I can't find where it's storing the data for notes, so I can't compare the difference between a highlight and a note.

Oh, and one final note - I do get the following error when I run m0ngr31's script:

but it creates a mobi file in the .palmkindle folder with the accompanying cover images and that file opens properly in both Mobipocket (on my laptop) and the Kindle app (on my TP), so I didn't think that had anything to do with it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is anyone else experiencing this problem or is it just me?

Thanks!!
    Thanks for the kudos. I have validated that highlighting does not work on imported books. I will see if I can figure out why this is not working tonight.

11.    #151  
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintGermain View Post

Thanks! I will be making use of your linux script too m0ngr31.

Global Posts
    465 Global Posts

Thanks! I will be making use of your linux script too m0ngr31.
    I'd appreciate any feedback you have on it. It seemed to work fine for me, but I had all the prerequisites installed and was going from memory with what was required...
  13.    #153  
    I'd appreciate any feedback you have on it. It seemed to work fine for me, but I had all the prerequisites installed and was going from memory with what was required...
    Oh boy I can relate to that! Let's see then I had to add that to the path and export a variable for that...

Anyone else have the problem after using Kindle Import where 2 or 3 pages of a .mobi will be fine and then it'll just go all white and there's seemingly nothing you can do? I exit, relaunch and Kindle takes me to the exact same spot with a white screen that I can't turn the page off.
    Also, the button at the top to exit back to Library seems to be obstructed with the title, so I never seem to be able to click that either.

Thanks for making this! I look forward to using it on my trip to Mexico tomorrow.
  15.    #155  
    Quote Originally Posted by meshuga View Post
    Anyone else have the problem after using Kindle Import where 2 or 3 pages of a .mobi will be fine and then it'll just go all white and there's seemingly nothing you can do? I exit, relaunch and Kindle takes me to the exact same spot with a white screen that I can't turn the page off.
    Also, the button at the top to exit back to Library seems to be obstructed with the title, so I never seem to be able to click that either.

Thanks for making this! I look forward to using it on my trip to Mexico tomorrow.
    This is not a problem with Kindle Import but a problem with Kindle. All that Kindle Import does is adds a record in the Kindle database pointing to the book, Kindle opens the book and deals with rendering it. So if you see it in Kindle then Kindle Import worked. You might want to try re-installing Kindle or deregistering and registering the device and importing the books again. It's possible that Kindle doesn't like the .mobi file(s) you are opening so if that doesn't work you can try converting the book or books in Calibre from mobi to mobi and sending them over again.

Global Posts
    465 Global Posts

I've heard if other people having the problem, and i think rebooting fixed the issue.
    Hum maybe I haven't looked deep enough but I haven't found your linux script ?
    I just found the zip file on the first page which are windows-only executables...
    the blank page thing, I don't know. For the title obscuring the library button thing, I discovered that if I turn off the rotation lock and go to landscape, I can get the button. Try that.

Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Hum maybe I haven't looked deep enough but I haven't found your linux script ?
    I just found the zip file on the first page which are windows-only executables...
    It's in the other thread in the Touchpad Homebrew subforum. Look over the last couple pages and you should find it. If I get a few minutes tonight I'll refine it a little more and upload it as a .sh file for easier download.
    I downloaded the Quick Install program to my laptop. I then downloaded the Kindle Import program to the laptop. I launched the Quick Install program, then drug the Kindle Import program there and clicked install. It doesn't recognize my device (HP Touchpad) although I can see the files that are on the Touchpad, so that would indicate that the device is hooked up properly. This is my first attempt at installing one of your aps. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank You