webOS Nation Forums

webOS Nation Forums (/)
-   webOS Homebrew Apps (http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-homebrew-apps/)
-   -   Kindle Import (http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-homebrew-apps/300145-kindle-import.html)

kjhenrie 10/06/2011 09:20 PM

[QUOTE=wf201626;3195564]thanks, Kjhenrie

those steps were exact what I did. I firstly imported one book and kindle was fine to find it. somehow, when it tried to open the book, it was blank. nothing was presented. I tried to turn the page and nothing worked.

secondly, i had to deleted all imported books from kindle import and tried import it again. it did not work. then i converted a few books later and sent them all back to TP. the calibre library showed all books located in device with green checkmarks.

do I need to unregister kindle and delete it and reinstall?

by the ways, the books are still in TP .palmkindle folder.

thanks again,[/QUOTE]

Kindle Import doesn't delete the books from .palmkindle but unregistering Kindle should. Sure, try deregistering and removing Kindle and the .palmkindle directory (if it isn't) and reinstalling/registering.

leimyda 10/07/2011 01:46 PM

[QUOTE=kjhenrie;3196237]The link works but your touchpad doesn't know what to do with it. Do you have preware installed? If not install it or you can download the file on your pc and install it using WebOS Quick Install.[/QUOTE]

thank you very much for your help. It is working flawlessly now. God bless you :)

zyxwvuuu 10/07/2011 09:27 PM

Hey guys, thanks for all your work on this. I've tried both m0ngr31's batch file and kjhenrie's calibre methods and they work well...except...
a week later I tried m0ngr31s (kept all the same files, did not modify a thing) on the same books, and it would not work, just said file not found, but then told me how many books it had found. I would use kjhenrie's instead, as it's built into calibre, except it doesn't do the correct page length/location. Any way to add this feature, or tell me what is wrong with m0ngr31's script suddenly?

kjhenrie 10/08/2011 12:48 AM

[QUOTE=zyxwvuuu;3197728]Hey guys, thanks for all your work on this. I've tried both m0ngr31's batch file and kjhenrie's calibre methods and they work well...except...
a week later I tried m0ngr31s (kept all the same files, did not modify a thing) on the same books, and it would not work, just said file not found, but then told me how many books it had found. I would use kjhenrie's instead, as it's built into calibre, except it doesn't do the correct page length/location. Any way to add this feature, or tell me what is wrong with m0ngr31's script suddenly?[/QUOTE]

I can't help with m0ngr31's script since I don't have a Windows computer but you can use Kindle Import to modify the total locations book by book. It's a bit time consuming but I just modified the next 5 books that I intend to read and I'll do the next 5 when I am done with these. You can do it before you import or after by using the Load Books or Load Existing Books feature respectively, tap on the locations and edit the value, then tap outside the text field and the value will be stored (for existing books) or click Import Books (for new books).

I intend to see what I can do in the Calibre WebOS plugin to pull locations but I haven't had a chance yet.

zyxwvuuu 10/08/2011 02:05 AM

Cool, I didn't realize you could edit locations in kindle import until you said that, thanks. It is a little time intensive for 150 books, checking my kindle then writing the correct number, so that calibre thing would be useful. Also, I've been delving through many forums about the whispersync with sideloaded books, I have updated Calibre and reconverted all of my mobis, deleted and resent to my kindle and my touchpad, etc. But sync doesn't seem to work. Do I have to "download metadata" for all the books again in order for Calibre to generate an ASIN or just convert them to mobi? Also, sync doesn't even seem to work between touchpad and kindle with purchased amazon books, so I don't know whats up with that. m0ngr31 if you see this I know you had whispersync working @ one point, was it with touchpad? Thanks!

pizzaboy192 10/09/2011 12:12 AM

Well... I doctored it, and it works. Was a bad patch. I'll make a list of patches as I install them and see which ones breaks it.

kjhenrie 10/09/2011 12:22 AM

[QUOTE=pizzaboy192;3199077]Well... I doctored it, and it works. Was a bad patch. I'll make a list of patches as I install them and see which ones breaks it.[/QUOTE]

Great I am glad you were able to get it working and I hope you can find the patch or patches causing this not to work for some people.

pizzaboy192 10/09/2011 12:47 AM

[QUOTE=kjhenrie;3199087]Great I am glad you were able to get it working and I hope you can find the patch or patches causing this not to work for some people.[/QUOTE]

put all the same patches I had on, still works. Not sure what exactly went wrong.

newcultking 10/09/2011 06:36 PM

can we get these threads merged?

kjhenrie 10/11/2011 12:13 AM

Version 1.3.2 was just uploaded. See the OP for details.

elsie2 10/11/2011 06:13 AM

[QUOTE=kjhenrie;3201609]Version 1.3.2 was just uploaded. See the OP for details.[/QUOTE]

I loaded 1.3.2 and kept getting Operation Failed when I tried to load books. I removed the app and then reinstalled. Now it seems to work. Don't know why it didn't work the first time...but stuff happens. Thanks to both developers--for the app and the Calibre work, and for the separate conversion script.

I used the script rather than Calibre to generate the covers and the correct naming format (already had mobi files) and it worked without a problem.

FYI--for those who don't want to hook up your Touchpad to the computer for whatever reason: if you use the script, you can use TBtransfer (found in Preware) to move the files from your computer to the TP--no USB mode needed, just done over wireless connection. Just thought I would let people know there is another way to get your books there if you need to do so.

I did try downloading a book directly from Smashwords to the TP and then renaming it using the format I found here. The book loaded into the Kindle app without a problem--except I got a generic brown cover. Anyone know if there is any way to download a mobi file from a site other than Amazon and get/generate the cover?

kjhenrie 10/11/2011 08:10 AM

[QUOTE=elsie2;3201795]I loaded 1.3.2 and kept getting Operation Failed when I tried to load books. I removed the app and then reinstalled. Now it seems to work. Don't know why it didn't work the first time...but stuff happens. Thanks to both developers--for the app and the Calibre work, and for the separate conversion script.

I used the script rather than Calibre to generate the covers and the correct naming format (already had mobi files) and it worked without a problem.

FYI--for those who don't want to hook up your Touchpad to the computer for whatever reason: if you use the script, you can use TBtransfer (found in Preware) to move the files from your computer to the TP--no USB mode needed, just done over wireless connection. Just thought I would let people know there is another way to get your books there if you need to do so.

I did try downloading a book directly from Smashwords to the TP and then renaming it using the format I found here. The book loaded into the Kindle app without a problem--except I got a generic brown cover. Anyone know if there is any way to download a mobi file from a site other than Amazon and get/generate the cover?[/QUOTE]

Typically a full device reboot will clear up the operation failed error. As for covers, you would need to download or create a small and medium version of the cover and put them in the .palmkindle/coverCache directory before importing the book. Look at another books covers for dimensions and naming scheme.

elsie2 10/12/2011 05:11 PM

[QUOTE=kjhenrie;3201883]Typically a full device reboot will clear up the operation failed error. As for covers, you would need to download or create a small and medium version of the cover and put them in the .palmkindle/coverCache directory before importing the book. Look at another books covers for dimensions and naming scheme.[/QUOTE]
Full reboot didn't work...Reinstall with reboot did. Don't know why and it was easy to do so not a problem. I had updated Kindle Import so maybe the update didn't go as planned (first time I updated the app from Preware--so maybe there was a problem with that, second time I deleted the app and then reinstalled...).

I've used the script (worked well). If I want to use the Calibre method, do I actually need to load a plugin (user installed in Calibre) or is it already loaded in Calibre? (I am running the most current version of Calibre.) From reading the posts, I'm assuming it is already installed but I could be way off in my assumption!

RedWave 10/12/2011 06:14 PM

I constantly get errors from the script.... The import is working FINE, but i can't have correct page numbers.... Only 3000+ pages count, and i'm not talking about the metadata and the renaming.... I've got a plugin for Calibre that counts pages, but i'm unable to find how to generate an ASIN number in between (tried generating a random number, Kindle Import freezes). Any plugin or suggestion?
TY

kjhenrie 10/12/2011 08:32 PM

[QUOTE=elsie2;3204004]Full reboot didn't work...Reinstall with reboot did. Don't know why and it was easy to do so not a problem. I had updated Kindle Import so maybe the update didn't go as planned (first time I updated the app from Preware--so maybe there was a problem with that, second time I deleted the app and then reinstalled...).

I've used the script (worked well). If I want to use the Calibre method, do I actually need to load a plugin (user installed in Calibre) or is it already loaded in Calibre? (I am running the most current version of Calibre.) From reading the posts, I'm assuming it is already installed but I could be way off in my assumption![/QUOTE]

Calibre plugin is included just make sure to select USB Device when you plug it in and Calibre will recognize it.

I am not sure why the installation is more finicky for some than others. I will say though this seems like a simple application it is actually writing to a database that it normally wouldn't have permission to write to. Therefore it has to run a post install script to copy a permissions file to a protected directory. It also has two services that read the file system which complicates things a bit.

kjhenrie 10/12/2011 09:02 PM

[QUOTE=RedWave;3204071]I constantly get errors from the script.... The import is working FINE, but i can't have correct page numbers.... Only 3000+ pages count, and i'm not talking about the metadata and the renaming.... I've got a plugin for Calibre that counts pages, but i'm unable to find how to generate an ASIN number in between (tried generating a random number, Kindle Import freezes). Any plugin or suggestion?
TY[/QUOTE]

Remember, page number does not equal locations. If you have a book that has more or fewer than 15000 locations you can edit the total locations after you import the book by tapping "Import Existing Books", tap on the locations field for the book you wish to edit, edit the value, then tap outside of the text field. The new value will be synchronized when you open Kindle. Not sure why you are having problems with the ASIN number, post an example of a book you have renamed.

RedWave 10/13/2011 12:04 PM

[QUOTE=kjhenrie;3204266]Remember, page number does not equal locations. If you have a book that has more or fewer than 15000 locations you can edit the total locations after you import the book by tapping "Import Existing Books", tap on the locations field for the book you wish to edit, edit the value, then tap outside of the text field. The new value will be synchronized when you open Kindle. Not sure why you are having problems with the ASIN number, post an example of a book you have renamed.[/QUOTE]

EDIT : Don't USE until i find a way to multiply pages into locations.....

[QUOTE=]I need somebody to help me with a plugin, or a python command (??!) for calibre, TY![/QUOTE]

Ahem, so what is Total Locations used for? Edit : Seems a 255 pages book is made of 3600 locations approx. Damn. Need to fix this....Trying to find a way to multiply that. BTW, i remember that the script found correct locations, but still messed with the names and made errors pop up like crazy.

**Tutorial for those using calibre, that can't use mo..... script to count for pages, etc**
- In calibre, set up a custom column using the preferences
- Call it "pagecount", name it "Pages", and set it to "Full numbers"
- In plugins, get new plugins, "COunt Pages" by Grant Drake
- Set "Custom Colum" to pagecount and use APNX method (far from accurate, but better than manual)

*In the pref, go to "Send books to device", set metadata to automatique, then use this as title:
{title} - {authors} - {id} - {#pagecount}

*Go to the plugins, seek "WEBOS" in "interface" and set the same

*Edit pagecount
- Select all the books, then right click and "Count Pages"
- Update Metadata (check in the desired column)

*Import using Kindle Import
- Each book will have it's "Calibre Rank" as ASIN and therefore will be UNIQUE
(Watch out previous owners, u may have to reset the kindle app)
- Pages will be approx, but painlessly implemented and way more accurate
- You won't get strange chars on your mobi titles nor strange script errors

VOILA!

**Tutorial to reset Kindle and Kindle Import in case of grey book covers, etc
- Go into the kindle app
- Erase the account synced with the device
- Quit the kindle app
- Go into Kindle Import
- Press delete all books
- Use internal and go to media/internal
- Delete metadata.calibre and driveinfo.Calibre @ root
- Delete the .palmkindle folder
- RESTART
- Lauch the kindle app and sync ur account
- Verify that a new .palmkindle folder is here with "covercache" in it
- Import using Kindle Import

Have fun reading everyone!

kenpappas 10/13/2011 01:42 PM

Books Are now loaded into Calibre

I got all my Kindle books loaded into this app but I cant seem to get them moved/ported to my HP Tablet. If someone has done this can you kindly help me.
Ken

kjhenrie 10/15/2011 07:21 PM

[QUOTE=RedWave;3205226]EDIT : Don't USE until i find a way to multiply pages into locations.....

[/QUOTE]

No harm in editing the locations manually. My reading patterns might be be different than some but I edit the total locations on each book before I start reading it. See my remarks regarding having the accurate value below. Bottom line is if you are not accurate the only value in being close is that your progress bar is closer to accurate (but still not accurate).

[QUOTE=RedWave;3205226]

Ahem, so what is Total Locations used for? Edit : Seems a 255 pages book is made of 3600 locations approx. Damn. Need to fix this....Trying to find a way to multiply that. BTW, i remember that the script found correct locations, but still messed with the names and made errors pop up like crazy.

[/QUOTE]

Locations represent chunks of text since there is not an accurate way to represent page numbers in an electronic book that allows text reflow. In other words, the total pages in the book depends on the font size, screen size, margins, etc... Therefore to my knowledge (and several people have tried) there is not an accurate way to calculate locations from page numbers that applies to all books. As you learned you can get an approximate.

Locations are only used for indicating progress and synchronizing with different devices and in the latter case as long as you are in the book (you haven't scrolled off into no mans land) then it will work fine. Therefore, personally I don't think not having the locations set accurately is a big deal and like I said above I set it on the book I am reading and a few that I intend to read next while I am at it. The rest of my books have the default 15000 which doesn't really bother me.

I have been busy contributing to the PDF Reader patches and haven't spent time on this for the last few days but one day I intend to crack the Calibre webOS plugin open again (if m0ngr31 doesn't beat me to it :)) and see if I can find a way to pull locations from the books that have them.

[QUOTE=RedWave;3205226]

**Tutorial for those using calibre, that can't use mo..... script to count for pages, etc**
- In calibre, set up a custom column using the preferences
- Call it "pagecount", name it "Pages", and set it to "Full numbers"
- In plugins, get new plugins, "COunt Pages" by Grant Drake
- Set "Custom Colum" to pagecount and use APNX method (far from accurate, but better than manual)

*In the pref, go to "Send books to device", set metadata to automatique, then use this as title:
{title} - {authors} - {id} - {#pagecount}

*Go to the plugins, seek "WEBOS" in "interface" and set the same

*Edit pagecount
- Select all the books, then right click and "Count Pages"
- Update Metadata (check in the desired column)

*Import using Kindle Import
- Each book will have it's "Calibre Rank" as ASIN and therefore will be UNIQUE
(Watch out previous owners, u may have to reset the kindle app)
- Pages will be approx, but painlessly implemented and way more accurate
- You won't get strange chars on your mobi titles nor strange script errors

VOILA!

[/QUOTE]

Nice! This looks like a good way to get an approximate.

[QUOTE=RedWave;3205226]

**Tutorial to reset Kindle and Kindle Import in case of grey book covers, etc
- Go into the kindle app
- Erase the account synced with the device
- Quit the kindle app
- Go into Kindle Import
- Press delete all books
- Use internal and go to media/internal
- Delete metadata.calibre and driveinfo.Calibre @ root
- Delete the .palmkindle folder
- RESTART
- Lauch the kindle app and sync ur account
- Verify that a new .palmkindle folder is here with "covercache" in it
[/QUOTE]

You have more steps than you need and

- Deregester the device in the kindle app (this deletes the Kindle database and therefore there is no reason to "Delete all books" in Kindle Import. I believe it also removes the books the .palmkindle folder but someone can correct me if I am wrong)
- No reason to close Kindle you can do whatever you would like in Kindle Import and when you maximize Kindle the new values/books will be synchronized.
- Delete the calibre files mentioned above
- Launch Kindle and register the device
- Send your books over from Calibre

Thanks for your contribution!

RedWave 10/16/2011 12:56 PM

[QUOTE=kjhenrie;3208383]No harm in editing the locations manually.[/QUOTE]

Can I send u my 153 books then? :p
Anyway, opening the books in the Kindle App, going into the index of each book and going at the end accounts for the right locations, but seriously, I'm LAZY lol
I should set each book to 5000 locations, or 7500 max, since most books may never go that far (and yes, finishing a book at 30% of its total location is VERY disturbing to me :-)

The fact is, maybe if we could edit the locations after importing them in Kindle? One by One....? I like having my whole library at once, so....

About the script, we would need a TEXT OUTPUT with the according locations, OR a webOS plugin in calibre, yeah!
> The script DEFINITELY messes with names, and I don't want a book to read as "+:,Athr|#-Titl%" (NO WAY?)