webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > Kindle Import
Kindle Import
Like Tree27Likes

Old 10/01/2011, 11:22 PM   #81 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaboy192 View Post
I seem to be having issues with this.
I have 4 books that I want to send to my TouchPad.
I've tried both the batch script and Calibre.
Both get the books to my TouchPad, but the import hangs with "operation in progress" and won't go any further.
I've tried uninstalling the app, removing my account from the Kindle, re-creating the account, reinstalling the app, restarting the touchpad, dropping the books on it, and then running the app. (in that order)
Now, I've cleared out the entire set of books, and when I run it, it still hangs.
Is there any patch provided by PreWare that would keep this from working properly?
There have been a few users who are experiencing the same problem and to this point I have not been able to figure out why. A conflicting patch crossed my mind too.

If you or anyone having this problem is comfortable with using novaterm or the console available through WebOS Quick Install you can try installing Kindle Import then running "tail -500 /var/log/messages" in the console and see if there are any error messages. Then try running Kindle Import, clicking Load Books and run the tail command again and check for errors. You are welcome to email the log results to me if you see something suspicious.

kjhenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2011, 11:32 PM   #82 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdworsky View Post
Thanks so much for this utility - this has been a big boost for my touchpad! I have a couple of questions: I used a previous version (i think 1.1.4, but the about selection in the menu doesn't do anything, so I don't know for sure) and it worked flawlessly. I imported about 45 books. I'd like to upgrade versions - can I just use preware and have it update Kindle Import, or do I need to do a complete uninstall/reinstall?

Once I get it upgraded, can I then selectively add books? I'd like to use calibre to send one or two books at a time, then be able to load and import just those 2 books without having to delete all loaded books and re-import all of them - is that how 1.3.0 works?

Thanks again for a fabulous piece of software!
Yes you can just use the upgrade option in preware. If you are sending over books that are not already in the database, yes you can send them over and they will show up when you tap "Load Books". If you wish to reload books that are currently sideloaded, perhaps because you want to take advantage of cover images, with 1.3.0 you can selectively remove the books you wish to replace without removing all of them by using the "Load Existing Books", selecting the checkbox by the books you wish to delete and then tapping "Delete Selected Books from Kindle". Once you do that the books will show up when you tap "Load Books" and you can import them again and it will pick up the book and covers.

Old 10/02/2011, 12:10 AM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
Yes you can just use the upgrade option in preware. If you are sending over books that are not already in the database, yes you can send them over and they will show up when you tap "Load Books". If you wish to reload books that are currently sideloaded, perhaps because you want to take advantage of cover images, with 1.3.0 you can selectively remove the books you wish to replace without removing all of them by using the "Load Existing Books", selecting the checkbox by the books you wish to delete and then tapping "Delete Selected Books from Kindle". Once you do that the books will show up when you tap "Load Books" and you can import them again and it will pick up the book and covers.
Beautiful! I'll try tomorrow. Thanks.
jdworsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2011, 12:31 AM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
There have been a few users who are experiencing the same problem and to this point I have not been able to figure out why. A conflicting patch crossed my mind too.

If you or anyone having this problem is comfortable with using novaterm or the console available through WebOS Quick Install you can try installing Kindle Import then running "tail -500 /var/log/messages" in the console and see if there are any error messages. Then try running Kindle Import, clicking Load Books and run the tail command again and check for errors. You are welcome to email the log results to me if you see something suspicious.
Ran it. Got an error.
Attached a picture.
Hope it helps
Attached Images
File Type: png kindleimporterror.PNG (33.6 KB, 34 views) Email Attachment
pizzaboy192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2011, 01:22 AM   #85 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Ran it. Got an error.
Attached a picture.
Hope it helps
Looks like the service that reads the file system is not installing properly or failing to start. Verify that the folder /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/services/cx.ath.kjhenrie.kindleimport.service exists and that it has KindleImportAssistant.js, services.json, & sources.json in it.

Old 10/02/2011, 01:27 AM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Looks like the service that reads the file system is not installing properly or failing to start. Verify that the folder /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/services/cx.ath.kjhenrie.kindleimport.service exists and that it has KindleImportAssistant.js, services.json, & sources.json in it.
they're there. Not sure what is causing it to stop working. I'll try to get a list of my patches that i've got installed made to see what could be killing it.
Attached Images
File Type: png internalz_2011-02-10_012539.png (40.9 KB, 18 views) Email Attachment
Old 10/02/2011, 06:04 AM   #87 (permalink)

no issues with latest version, donated on paypal
tx
migu_be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2011, 10:29 AM   #88 (permalink)

Installed patches:
Add Download Link option
Advanced Reset Options
Binary Bluetooth patch
File URLs for browser
Hide Voicemail Button
Just Charge Button Label
Make It So
Max Blocker
Mimic Outlook
More Standby Times
Muffle System Logging
No vibrate or sound on messaging send
Private Browsing
Quiet powered messages
Reduce Minimum Brightness
Remove Dropped Packet Logging
UberCalendar HD
Unset CFQ IO Scheduler
Unthrottle Download manager.

I'll start removing the ones that I don't really use and see if that fixes it.

Last edited by pizzaboy192; 10/02/2011 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Patched removed.
Old 10/02/2011, 10:56 AM   #89 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by migu_be View Post
no issues with latest version, donated on paypal
tx
Awesome glad to hear it's working well for you.

Old 10/02/2011, 10:59 AM   #90 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Installed patches:
Add Download Link option
Advanced Reset Options
Binary Bluetooth patch
File URLs for browser
Hide Voicemail Button
Just Charge Button Label
Make It So
Max Blocker
Mimic Outlook
More Standby Times
Muffle System Logging
No vibrate or sound on messaging send
Private Browsing
Quiet powered messages
Reduce Minimum Brightness
UberCalendar HD
Unset CFQ IO Scheduler
The patches in your list that I have installed:

Add Download Link option
Advanced Reset Options
Just Charge Button Label
Muffle System Logging
Private Browsing
Quiet powered messages
Unset CFQ IO Scheduler

Old 10/02/2011, 02:13 PM   #91 (permalink)

I'm thinking of doctoring my TP again. There are more patches that I had installed, but they're not showing up as installed. I'll try doctoring and re-doing it some time this week if I can't figure out something else.
Old 10/03/2011, 04:36 PM   #92 (permalink)

Hiya, I'm a newbier to this and got the TP two weeks ago and began playing on it. Bought it primarily for use to let go of my laptop, i.e. access email, remote competer and ereader. so i installed the kindle beta app, calibre on my desktop and converted some books to mobi and transferred it over to the TP. Then I can't see them so i get to this site. I down load the kindle import and try to install it but it doesn't see the TP when I plug it in. So do i intall the kindle import on the desk top or TP? I see others have successfully moved books from calibre to the TP and using kindle import they are able to see these books not downloaded from amazon. can somebody spell out to a non computer person what to do? mucho thanks.
mnjeans23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2011, 06:51 PM   #93 (permalink)

Quote:

I have this problem. I actually had no problem side loading books using Calibre and Kindle Import1.3 - worked great. I installed a few more patches yesterday (although I cannot remember which ones) and now I get operation failed. I rebooted, uninstalled Kindle Import and reinstalled, removed all books, uninstalled and reinstalled Kindle App and I still have the operation failed. If you can tell me how to determine which patches I installed recently I can tell you which ones they are and possibly uninstall them one at a time to see if uninstalling a specific patch works.
jsonadam123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2011, 12:43 AM   #94 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnjeans23 View Post
Hiya, I'm a newbier to this and got the TP two weeks ago and began playing on it. Bought it primarily for use to let go of my laptop, i.e. access email, remote competer and ereader. so i installed the kindle beta app, calibre on my desktop and converted some books to mobi and transferred it over to the TP. Then I can't see them so i get to this site. I down load the kindle import and try to install it but it doesn't see the TP when I plug it in. So do i intall the kindle import on the desk top or TP? I see others have successfully moved books from calibre to the TP and using kindle import they are able to see these books not downloaded from amazon. can somebody spell out to a non computer person what to do? mucho thanks.
Kindle Import is a TouchPad application that can be installed using WebOS Quick Install (desktop application) or Preware (TouchPad application). You will need WebOS Quick Install to install Preware so I suggest you start with it. See http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...l-v2-96-a.html for details.

Old 10/04/2011, 04:35 AM   #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonadam123 View Post
I have this problem. I actually had no problem side loading books using Calibre and Kindle Import1.3 - worked great. I installed a few more patches yesterday (although I cannot remember which ones) and now I get operation failed. I rebooted, uninstalled Kindle Import and reinstalled, removed all books, uninstalled and reinstalled Kindle App and I still have the operation failed. If you can tell me how to determine which patches I installed recently I can tell you which ones they are and possibly uninstall them one at a time to see if uninstalling a specific patch works.
open patches from preware>installed and you can find installed date
astrostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 10:47 AM   #96 (permalink)

I have read so many threads on this that my head is spinning and i have lost the ability to figure out what is the latest that I need to follow.
I have tried reading the pages from the end backwards.
Dont ask ;-)

So for now, I have d/l Calibre- I have d/l all of my ebooks on to it.
I already had it registered to a Gmail account so didn't think I needed to deregister and register my account.

I have d/l Kindle Import onto my TP.

I use only Mac not Pc.
Not sure at this point which app I will be using to get my ebooks off of my Mac onto my Kindle on the TP. I thought it was calibre but now I see it is Kindle Import?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg spinning head.jpeg (3.7 KB, 7 views) Email Attachment
ShelaghDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 12:35 PM   #97 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelaghDB View Post
I have read so many threads on this that my head is spinning and i have lost the ability to figure out what is the latest that I need to follow.
I have tried reading the pages from the end backwards.
Dont ask ;-)

So for now, I have d/l Calibre- I have d/l all of my ebooks on to it.
I already had it registered to a Gmail account so didn't think I needed to deregister and register my account.

I have d/l Kindle Import onto my TP.

I use only Mac not Pc.
Not sure at this point which app I will be using to get my ebooks off of my Mac onto my Kindle on the TP. I thought it was calibre but now I see it is Kindle Import?

Hi, is there anyone in the forum this afternoon that can possibly please give me quick point in the right direction?

TIA

One other question. I have about 200 .mobi bestsellers so it is advisable to send ALL 200 to my TP or must i only have a couple at a time?
Not sure how much room they do take up..

Last edited by ShelaghDB; 10/05/2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10/05/2011, 02:52 PM   #98 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Hi, is there anyone in the forum this afternoon that can possibly please give me quick point in the right direction?

TIA

One other question. I have about 200 .mobi bestsellers so it is advisable to send ALL 200 to my TP or must i only have a couple at a time?
Not sure how much room they do take up..
1. Install Kindle from the HP catalog and Kindle Import from preware on the TP
2. Make sure the version of Calibre you are using is 0.8.20 or later
3. If the books you imported are in any format other than mobi then use Calibre to covert them to mobi
4. Plug in the touchpad and select USB Device when prompted, at this point Calibre should notify you that it detected the TP.
5. Select the books you want to send over and from the toolbar or via the right-click menu click the send books to device option
6. When that's finished open the Kindle Import application and select Load Books, followed by Import Books. You can uncheck the checkbox next to any of the books you do not want to import.

There is additional help documentation on Kindle Import in the menu.

200 Books shouldn't be a problem. Some people have sideloaded thousands of them. The space they take depends on the size of the books.

Old 10/05/2011, 03:16 PM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
1. Install Kindle from the HP catalog and Kindle Import from preware on the TP
2. Make sure the version of Calibre you are using is 0.8.20 or later
3. If the books you imported are in any format other than mobi then use Calibre to covert them to mobi
4. Plug in the touchpad and select USB Device when prompted, at this point Calibre should notify you that it detected the TP.
5. Select the books you want to send over and from the toolbar or via the right-click menu click the send books to device option
6. When that's finished open the Kindle Import application and select Load Books, followed by Import Books. You can uncheck the checkbox next to any of the books you do not want to import.

There is additional help documentation on Kindle Import in the menu.

200 Books shouldn't be a problem. Some people have sideloaded thousands of them. The space they take depends on the size of the books.
Thank you VERY much!!!!
Absolutely Brilliant.

I love both Calibre + Kindle Import.
Thank you very much and yes, I will be donating as well.

I honestly thought i would have to go android on the TP to get what I wanted and with this now taken care of, being able to read in Kindle, all of my books its looking less and less as if I will need to make that drastic a change!

The only thing i did notice was that I have a ton of storebought type computer tech magazines that I get online for free but love to read and thought I would convert them all to .mobi from .pdf but once converted and installed, although they look great, they are just a bit too small so i feel it will be best to read them through something else and just leave them in pdf format.
Although, nicely converted I will see if they will read larger on my iPhone but I doubt they will.

Brilliant job you guys!!!
Thanks again
Old 10/05/2011, 04:06 PM   #100 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Thank you VERY much!!!!
Absolutely Brilliant.

I love both Calibre + Kindle Import.
Thank you very much and yes, I will be donating as well.

I honestly thought i would have to go android on the TP to get what I wanted and with this now taken care of, being able to read in Kindle, all of my books its looking less and less as if I will need to make that drastic a change!

The only thing i did notice was that I have a ton of storebought type computer tech magazines that I get online for free but love to read and thought I would convert them all to .mobi from .pdf but once converted and installed, although they look great, they are just a bit too small so i feel it will be best to read them through something else and just leave them in pdf format.
Although, nicely converted I will see if they will read larger on my iPhone but I doubt they will.

Brilliant job you guys!!!
Thanks again
Thanks I am glad you like it! I have yet to find a good way to convert PDF documents to mobi or epub for that matter. I too have dozens of computer books in PDF format that do not convert well. I have the Ubuntu chroot installed which opens as a card in WebOS and I am using Okular for PDF viewing and annotations.

Keep your eye out for patches to enhance the WebOS Adobe Reader. If you are not already aware of it there is a patch to improve resolution, goto a specific page, and I am working on a patch that will retain the last read page and add bookmarks. This thread is tracking the various patches and progress.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0