Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    Loading media into a proprietary application from a source other than the the intended source. In this case loading books into the Kindle app obtained from a source other than Amazon
    n.b that it is allowed on most ereader devices as well as apps if I'm not mistaken. Sideloading is just loading via a ,method other than the devices store. You made it sound sneaky, its just not built-in the touchpad app...
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by joedisaster View Post
    n.b that it is allowed on most ereader devices as well as apps if I'm not mistaken. Sideloading is just loading via a ,method other than the devices store. You made it sound sneaky, its just not built-in the touchpad app...
    Yeah I didn't mean to make it sound sneaky but I will say on most devices it is far less convenient and you often give up features on sideloaded books. Luckily Calibre helps in a lot of cases.
    If you like my work on Kindle Import and the Calibre WebOS plugin and want to contribute toward improvements and future WebOS projects.

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    So.. after using calibre to transfer to the TP, and using the kindle side load, I have some books there (which is awesome) but no covers...

Did I miss a step or do I need to use the script as well?

Edit- Ok, weird, I deleted the books/removed from kindle and reimported them, and boom, got covers. Weird, but hey, it works and you are awesome
    Last edited by hydin; 09/27/2011 at 03:44 AM.
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by hydin View Post
    So.. after using calibre to transfer to the TP, and using the kindle side load, I have some books there (which is awesome) but no covers...

Did I miss a step or do I need to use the script as well?

Edit- Ok, weird, I deleted the books/removed from kindle and reimported them, and boom, got covers. Weird, but hey, it works and you are awesome
    Cool thanks! Are you using version 1.3.0 and if so is it the first version you installed? I am trying to help a couple of people having problems.
    If you like my work on Kindle Import and the Calibre WebOS plugin and want to contribute toward improvements and future WebOS projects.

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Yep, 1.3.0 and it was the first version I installed.

Haven't had any other hiccups, but about to bulk add a lot of books from calibre after I convert em to mobi. If I run into anything weird, I will pop back in and let ya know

thanks again for the awesome program!
    Quote Originally Posted by jpkboca View Post
    Thanks finally got it working :-) Too a uninstall, reinstall and a system reboot, but finally got rid of those pesky operation failed errors, and imported great.

The conversion from pdf to mobi sucked, but the import into kindle worked great, gonna have to try to reconvert from pdf.

Does the kindle app support pdf like the kindle hardware does?

Thanks a ton. Once I get some books converted properly I'll donate to thank you for the hard work.

Jeff
    Did you ever find a way to get pdf working well with the kindle app? I have a pdf I want to read on my TP, but have no idea how to get it working with kindle.
    I must be stupid or something... but I can't get either method to work at all.

If I use the script, it tells me that 4 files could not be found and then creates the folders with nothing in them. If I use calibre (which creates about 400 folders organized by author name) I still can't get them to be recognized by the Kindle Sideload app.

Anyone who's gotten this to work, could you please post a complete step by step? Having it listed as run calibre doesn't work for someone who's never touched an ebook unfortunately.
    Long live webOS!
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I bounced into a problem tonight as well.

Ran calibre, converted to mobi, sent to device. (apparently if you just set it to "send to device" and auto convert, calibre poops itself.)

Loaded the books on the tp fine, ran the program and loaded new books, hit import, told me 1070 new books imported.

Ran the kindle software, and no covers.

Deleted all the imported books, loaded new books again, imported books, no covers.

Deleted all imported, rebooted tp, loaded new books, no covers.

Deleted all imported, rebooted tp, loaded new books, rebooted tp, no covers.

Dunno what I am doing wrong on this, but it's kinda weird. I enjoy the book/library view more than the title view, so any helps appreciated on it.

Does it matter if some of the books don't have that amazon code? Some of the books I am loading up are custom done collections of multiple books, so it wouldn't have a cover anyway. Just wondering if that might be the issue...

Welp, tried it without loading the books that are custom or don't have a amazon #, and it still didn't work

Still, rocks being able to read the books I wanna read
    Last edited by hydin; 09/28/2011 at 10:18 PM.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryudo423 View Post
    Did you ever find a way to get pdf working well with the kindle app? I have a pdf I want to read on my TP, but have no idea how to get it working with kindle.
    Use calibre to convert it to a .mobi file.

Quote Originally Posted by mlb14 View Post
    I must be stupid or something... but I can't get either method to work at all.

If I use the script, it tells me that 4 files could not be found and then creates the folders with nothing in them. If I use calibre (which creates about 400 folders organized by author name) I still can't get them to be recognized by the Kindle Sideload app.

Anyone who's gotten this to work, could you please post a complete step by step? Having it listed as run calibre doesn't work for someone who's never touched an ebook unfortunately.
    What files does it say are missing?

Ran calibre, converted to mobi, sent to device. (apparently if you just set it to "send to device" and auto convert, calibre poops itself.)

Loaded the books on the tp fine, ran the program and loaded new books, hit import, told me 1070 new books imported.

Deleted all the imported books, loaded new books again, imported books, no covers.

Dunno what I am doing wrong on this, but it's kinda weird. I enjoy the book/library view more than the title view, so any helps appreciated on it.

Does it matter if some of the books don't have that amazon code? Some of the books I am loading up are custom done collections of multiple books, so it wouldn't have a cover anyway. Just wondering if that might be the issue...

Welp, tried it without loading the books that are custom or don't have a amazon #, and it still didn't work

Did you try using my batch script?
    What files does it say are missing?

It doesn't actually say. It's when I run the .bat that it gives me it as a DOS message. When i get home I'll take a screenshot.
    Long live webOS!
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Will try the script in a day or two. Right now, converting about 3k epubs to mobi files

It's gonna take a bit.
    This works great thanks! I had a couple problems to start with but figured them out. I had to reconvert my downloaded mobi files using calibre and then import them for the sideload to work. If I just imported the mobi files w/o converting them they didn't show up. Maybe I missed that step but just a tip for those who keep sending and the sideload can't find them.
    Would anyone be willing to take the time and do a video how-to from start to finish using either calibre or the script method?

I know it's a lot to ask but it would be greatly appreciated and probably reduce the number of questions from people bumping into issues as well
    Long live webOS!
    I have the same problem, no covers, followed the procedure step by step!

If anyone finds out how to fix I would greatly appreciate it.

15.    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericstob View Post

Do the books have covers in Calibre when you select them in the library? You might have to download covers in Calibre by selecting the books, right clicking, and selecting download covers and metadata.

Quote Originally Posted by ericstob View Post

Re: No Covers

I had the same thing happen to me. I had sideloaded 1.2 and it worked fine with a few books. I removed 1.2 and downloaded 1.3 from preware. When I tried loading more books from calibre I got an operation failed error.

I then uninstalled both kindle and kindle import, re uploaded the books from calibre. This time they loaded, but with no covers. I restarted the touchpad, removed the kindle app, restarted the touchpad, reloaded the kindle app, restarted the touchpad, reloaded the books which were still in the folder and it worked, covers are loaded now.

I suspect it could be the number of books I loaded, or maybe you just have the restart before loading the books for the covers to show properly.
    OK - So I can get the books to import along with the covers and I know you now made it possible to change the default number from 1500... What I am wondering is...to any number? I have a number of books to import and I don't know if I can just start numbering those books as I want. Also, does this then make the percentage read show correctly and lastly, could this cause a problem with future purchases from Amazon because it may overlap numbers? Thanks again for your time and this app!
    I seem to be having issues with this.
    I have 4 books that I want to send to my TouchPad.
    I've tried both the batch script and Calibre.
    Both get the books to my TouchPad, but the import hangs with "operation in progress" and won't go any further.
    I've tried uninstalling the app, removing my account from the Kindle, re-creating the account, reinstalling the app, restarting the touchpad, dropping the books on it, and then running the app. (in that order)
    Now, I've cleared out the entire set of books, and when I run it, it still hangs.
    Is there any patch provided by PreWare that would keep this from working properly?
    Thanks so much for this utility - this has been a big boost for my touchpad! I have a couple of questions: I used a previous version (i think 1.1.4, but the about selection in the menu doesn't do anything, so I don't know for sure) and it worked flawlessly. I imported about 45 books. I'd like to upgrade versions - can I just use preware and have it update Kindle Import, or do I need to do a complete uninstall/reinstall?

Once I get it upgraded, can I then selectively add books? I'd like to use calibre to send one or two books at a time, then be able to load and import just those 2 books without having to delete all loaded books and re-import all of them - is that how 1.3.0 works?

Thanks again for a fabulous piece of software!
  20.    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by mctol View Post
    OK - So I can get the books to import along with the covers and I know you now made it possible to change the default number from 1500... What I am wondering is...to any number? I have a number of books to import and I don't know if I can just start numbering those books as I want. Also, does this then make the percentage read show correctly and lastly, could this cause a problem with future purchases from Amazon because it may overlap numbers? Thanks again for your time and this app!
    If you open the book in Kindle and use the locations slider there will be a point at which the slider still moves but the page no longer changes (the last page of the book). When you are on the last page the location you are at is what you would set the locations to.

The unique identifier is the asin number and I am generating an asin number that is unique based on the current time down to the ms and the number of the book in the folder so it is highly unlikely that they will overlap. enjoy!

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast