Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmenot View Post
    Well, I just tried opening one of the mobi's that failed, in a hex editor, checked the 32nd byte (offset 0x1F) and it was already 00. So it seems that isn't the problem. The title is also well under 32 characters. I guess I'll just wait for the Calibre plugin (maybe someone can upload a beta here?) , that sounds like the most streamlined way to do this . I still had success with 89/147 books with m0ngr31s, so not too shabby @ all!
    try the original file, not the blank one
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngr31 View Post
    Awesome! Now we just need locations. I have just one suggestion... Is there a way to have multiple profiles for a device? That way if amazon does ever support sideloading officially, it wouldn't require an update of calibre to work. Also some pReader people might not want all their books in the palmkindle folder. But that's just a thought.
    I think that's a good idea. As you know I was originally keeping imported books in /media/internal/.kindle-import but opted for .palmkindle because that's where Calibre puts them. If the Calibre developers are open to the idea I could easily modify the plugin to put them in a different folder but it would couple Calibre with Kindle Import which might not make some people happy. It might be possible to programmatically move them after the Calibre export to something like .ebooks which might be the better option.
    try the original file, not the blank one
    Indeed that is what I tried :\. (When I said I tried it on one of the mobi's that failed, I meant the original, not the fail one with no extension. Sorry for confusion)
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    I haven't seen that error on any of my books. Does it happen on all books? You could try deleting the imported books and trying one or two at a time.
    I only had one ebook loaded, I just went and downloaded a random book from Project Gutenberg and that presented no errors (Named just TITLE - AUTHOR.mobi).

It must have been some problem with the original .mobi I used or the naming (TITLE - AUTHOR - ASIN - LOCATION.mobi)

Sorry for the false alarm!!

Thanks again for the amazing app!!
    my covers have different sizes and appear quite messy.
    I guess 110/120 width for medium images will display best.

I didn't try the scripts/calibre, to see if it resizes.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by migu_be View Post
    my covers have different sizes and appear quite messy.
    I guess 110/120 width for medium images will display best.

I didn't try the scripts/calibre, to see if it resizes.
    Well try the script
    Any suggestion on fixing the book covers on a mac?
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Awesome, I've been waiting soo long for an app that sideloads to the kindle app! One thing though, I have everything tagged so well in Calibre, yet m0ngr3l's script seems to error on about half the mobis, something about EXTH not mathcing original, and just creates extensionless files in the books/coverart folders...any ideas as to what I might be missing here? (All the books are in the same directory, with their cover jpgs that calibre outputs.)
    This should be fixed now. Update the script and re-try it.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcjr81 View Post
    Any suggestion on fixing the book covers on a mac?
    I'll be making a *nix version of my script this weekend. Stay tuned...
    kjhenrie and PainToad like this.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    I've made a fairly helpful upgrade to my script. Please review my original post on the first page to get the update and the info.
    Hey m0ngr31, thanks for all your hard work, I managed to get 145/149 books loaded to my touchpad, they are working so far. I notice 2 problems happening though.
    1. During kindleSide.bat, I notice a few of the names of books getting cut short in the filename, but from the beginning, like " ckwork Orange - Author - Etc etc.mobi". Its fine If i rename them manually, just gotta do the image files along with it which is a bummer.

2. Speaking of cover images, they no longer work with this update apparently. The files are created and look/seem like they are named right, and they are in the covercache folder, but alas do not show up on the touchpad kindle app. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the awesome work, this made my week!

EDIT: I got the covers working, and the titles too. I guess if you use colons ":" in ~any~ of the book titles, it messes up a few others and the covers. Replaced the colons with tildes "~" and everything went smoothly onto my touchpad.
    Last edited by bmenot; 09/22/2011 at 09:06 PM.
  12.    #32  
    My patch to export covers from Calibre was accepted and will be in the next version release which should be on Friday.

The patch will export covers for both views and if the book does not have a cover it will export a default that has the title and author.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Hey m0ngr31, thanks for all your hard work, I managed to get 145/149 books loaded to my touchpad, they are working so far. I notice 2 problems happening though.
    1. During kindleSide.bat, I notice a few of the names of books getting cut short in the filename, but from the beginning, like " ckwork Orange - Author - Etc etc.mobi". Its fine If i rename them manually, just gotta do the image files along with it which is a bummer.

2. Speaking of cover images, they no longer work with this update apparently. The files are created and look/seem like they are named right, and they are in the covercache folder, but alas do not show up on the touchpad kindle app. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the awesome work, this made my week!

EDIT: I got the covers working, and the titles too. I guess if you use colons ":" in ~any~ of the book titles, it messes up a few others and the covers. Replaced the colons with tildes "~" and everything went smoothly onto my touchpad.
    Hmm.. The new version was supposed to fix the : problem... I just ran it on some of mine and it worked great. Can you try again? I tried a few other things as well.
    Hmm.. The new version was supposed to fix the : problem... I just ran it on some of mine and it worked great. Can you try again? I tried a few other things as well.
    Thats what my edit was for, I did actually get it working, I think it had something to do with the colons I used in book titles, after I replaced those everything went literally perfectly. I think I had to make 2 book's covers manually and name them manually, and they worked fine too. Frickin awesome I have all my books on my touchpad now
    Thats what my edit was for, I did actually get it working, I think it had something to do with the colons I used in book titles, after I replaced those everything went literally perfectly. I think I had to make 2 book's covers manually and name them manually, and they worked fine too. Frickin awesome I have all my books on my touchpad now

Edit: Oh I didn't see you said the new version "fixed" the colon problem...well now I'm not quite sure what it was that worked. But it works!
  16.    #36  
    Calibre 0.8.20 was released today and includes my patch which will send covers to the TouchPad with the books.

After sending the books and covers to the TouchPad from Calibre in Kindle Import you will need to click Delete all Imported Books, then Load Books followed by Import Books.

Edit: Look for an update to Kindle Import in the near future that will allow you to refresh covers without first deleting the imported books.
    stbxxl and huladaddy like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    Calibre 0.8.20 was released today and includes my patch which will send covers to the TouchPad with the books.

After sending the books and covers to the TouchPad from Calibre in Kindle Import you will need to click Delete all Imported Books, then Load Books followed by Import Books.

Edit: Look for an update to Kindle Import in the near future that will allow you to refresh covers without first deleting the imported books.
    Works just great! Also seems to eject more reliably from within calibre now.

You are making awesome progress with this. Will you be able to get the 15000 length thing figured out as well?
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    Works just great! Also seems to eject more reliably from within calibre now.

You are making awesome progress with this. Will you be able to get the 15000 length thing figured out as well?
    Thanks! I intend to look at the 15000 location issue and see what I can do about it soon.
    PainToad likes this.
    Just so I get the order of restarts correct (Ive been basically device restarting after every step) is it:

1. Make sure to delete all imported books on kindle with kindle import app
    2. plug into usb
    3. Use either the calibre script or mongrels script & export books on touchpad
    4. Device restart (or luna?)
    5. Load/Import with Kindle import app
    6. Device/Luna restart?? <-I think its not neccessary
    7. Now I can open kindle app and see books

that sound correct?
  20.    #40  
    Just so I get the order of restarts correct (Ive been basically device restarting after every step) is it:

1. Make sure to delete all imported books on kindle with kindle import app
    2. plug into usb
    3. Use either the calibre script or mongrels script & export books on touchpad
    4. Device restart (or luna?)
    5. Load/Import with Kindle import app
    6. Device/Luna restart?? <-I think its not neccessary
    7. Now I can open kindle app and see books

that sound correct?
    1. Install Kindle Import
    2. Reboot TouchPad
    3. Plug in TP USB and choose USB Drive
    4. Send books to device using Calibre 0.8.20 or by following m0ngr31s script instructions earlier in the thread
    5. Open Kindle Import and Load Books followed by Import Books
    6. Open Kindle, watch it sync, and enjoy!

If you already have books you imported using Kindle Import replace steps 1 & 2 with:

1. Delete imported books using Kindle Import
    2. Skip
    Last edited by kjhenrie; 09/24/2011 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Fixed missing step
    no_balut_thanks likes this.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast