Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
    in the kindle import app it shows my books al all having 15000 pages, and my books are not 15000 pages... what should i do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew6.688 View Post
    in the kindle import app it shows my books al all having 15000 pages, and my books are not 15000 pages... what should i do?
    read this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by joedisaster View Post
    read this forum.
    Or just ignore it and enjoy the book. :-)

...ken...
    it seems to load everything very very slow because of the immense page numbers
    No, it doesn't. Load time has nothing to do with the location numbers, whether they are correct or not will not change how long it takes to load a 2 page book vs a 1000 page book. I loaded about 200 books to my daughter's TouchPad, and each one loads in probably around 5 seconds or thereabouts. I didn't bother with dealing with the location numbers, though I have a few dozen correct location number books too, and those all load in about the same time frame, on my touchpad.

Anyway, the answers are all in this thread somewhere.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  6.    #226  
    it seems to load everything very very slow because of the immense page numbers
    First, locations are not equal to page numbers. As mentioned above this has been discussed several times in this and another thread but I'll drop you a hint. The only negative to having locations at 15k is that the book progress indicator will not be accurate. If that is not acceptable you can use a script by m0ngr3l to convert the books or you can open the book, go to the last page, and write down the current location. Now, open Kindle Import, tap the Load Existing Books button, find your book, touch the locations text, enter the actual value, hit enter or tap another part of the screen, then close and reopen the book in Kindle.

Edit: I added this to the usage tips in the OP.
    Last edited by kjhenrie; 12/26/2011 at 09:44 AM.
    If you like my work on Kindle Import and the Calibre WebOS plugin and want to contribute toward improvements and future WebOS projects.

7.    #227  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in Regina View Post
    Or just ignore it and enjoy the book. :-)

...ken...
    Bingo! Though I confess, I have a touch of OCD and end up setting the locations for the books in my reading list though I know it doesn't matter. I rarely purposely look at the progress indicator and when I do it's because I am not enjoying the book and wonder when my suffering will end (in which case I should cut my losses regardless).
    If you like my work on Kindle Import and the Calibre WebOS plugin and want to contribute toward improvements and future WebOS projects.

alright, went and removed all the books, and then just loaded 2 to test with and it works fine now, sorry i just got the TP yesterday
  9.    #229  
    alright, went and removed all the books, and then just loaded 2 to test with and it works fine now, sorry i just got the TP yesterday
    No problem. Welcome to webOS Nation and have fun with your new TP. If you haven't already you should check out http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html.

Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    Bingo! Though I confess, I have a touch of OCD and end up setting the locations for the books in my reading list though I know it doesn't matter. I rarely purposely look at the progress indicator and when I do it's because I am not enjoying the book and wonder when my suffering will end (in which case I should cut my losses regardless).
    Thanks for the tip. Being a bit anal myself, I used it to correct the books in my reading list. I immediately discovered another use. The dots under the book name in the reading list now give the correct relative length of the books so if I'm looking for a shorter read I can see the shorter books at a glance.

...ken...
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    Another user reported the duplicate book issue you are seeing once he loaded more than around 1000 books. This is on the list of issues that I intend to look at. I only have around 150 books so when time permits I will need to duplicate my book collection in order to reproduce and diagnose this. I suspect it has something to do with either running out of space for the Kindle database or the query I use to pull the books from the database is returning a subset of the actual result set because of some unbeknownst result set size limitation. Either way this is a known limitation of Kindle and/or Kindle Import and/or the db8 database that I may or may not be able to resolve. In the mean time I would recommend loading your favorite few hundred.
    I'm having the "too many books" operation in progress lock-up error. I'd love to know if there is a work around, as I'd like to be able to keep all my books on the Touchpad.

Irrespective, I'd also like to thank you for the effort you've put into this - otherwise I'd never be able to sideload my books!

Thank you.
    Hoping someone knowledgeable about Kindle can help me with this question.

Someone wants to sell me a used Kindle with a number of books on it. Would I be able to access those books with my account?
  13.    #233  
    Quote Originally Posted by wildefalcon View Post
    I'm having the "too many books" operation in progress lock-up error. I'd love to know if there is a work around, as I'd like to be able to keep all my books on the Touchpad.

Irrespective, I'd also like to thank you for the effort you've put into this - otherwise I'd never be able to sideload my books!

Thank you.
    Nothing yet but admit I have spent the little time I have had for TP programming working on the Adobe reader patches. This is on my list and I hope to find time soon.
  14.    #234  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Hoping someone knowledgeable about Kindle can help me with this question.

Someone wants to sell me a used Kindle with a number of books on it. Would I be able to access those books with my account?
    Unless things have changed since 2009 according to this article books are forever bound to a single account. Perhaps someone with recent experience can confirm or deny this.
    I think the books will still be in your Kindle account (when I deregistered my Touchpad Kindle app the books were still in my Kindle account). The new owner of the Kindle may have the books on the Kindle but won't have them backed up on his Amazon account.

Having said that...if you paid for these books and you are selling the Kindle, you should delete the books from the Kindle before selling it OR sell the books along with the Kindle and delete them from your account. We all like to get paid for our work--that includes authors.

I can lend or give a hard copy book to anyone--but I can't read it at the same time. I'm not a fan of DRM (okay, I hate it) but I like to think of ebooks the same way as hard copies--if I want someone else to have the book, I can't keep it for myself unless I want to buy another copy.
    have been using the kindle import for a while now, but have just tried to use it, after adding some books to my touchoad via calibre and it is saying operation failed after i click laod new books and then it says operation in progress and just hangs.

i have tried restarting the touchoad, and have uninstalled and reinstalled kindle import app via preware

any other ideas???

ok i fixed it - removed it, installed the latest version via webosquickinstall, did a restart - NOT LUNA restart. it then worked, wierdly!!
    Last edited by welsh_babe1; 01/03/2012 at 12:39 PM.
    There is no 1000 or 1500 book limit. What happens after Calibre cleans what it can clean with its plug ins and the ext is changed to MOBI where possible by Calibre is the device is plugged in and click on device and you find the bottom of the Calibre screen notes you are attached to the Touchpad.

You then transfer the Calibre library - all 1500 books if that is the size you are working with - and it goes in the correct "Palm" directories for Kindle use. But to get the files listed in the Kindle registry you load this program, Kindle-Import, tell it to load new books and wait about 10 seconds per book. It will be done at that point but will still say "operation in progress" - so flick it off the screen and restart the device. Run Kindle-Import again, load new books and in under a minute all the books show up and you press import to Kindle and it immediately (20 seconds) says 1500 books imported. And indeed they are there.

To delete a book you delete in Kindle -import as there seems no way to do so in the Kindle-Beta. You may need to use a file handler like Germini or the free "internalz-pro" to actually delete the files (mobi and images) on the touchpad, in which case you use kindle import and press remove ALL import files, then load new books again, then import again.

So the problem is Kindle-import does not know how to close with a large load of new books. But it is not a big deal and I am sure will be fixed on update. It would be nice if the delete process was cleaner - but that may take more time that the developer has at this time. In any case I just want to thank the developer for a great job! It made the Touchpad purchase worthwhile for my book reading wife.
    Successfully imported a book after update to 3.05, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by papau View Post
    There is no 1000 or 1500 book limit. What happens after Calibre cleans what it can clean with its plug ins and the ext is changed to MOBI where possible by Calibre is the device is plugged in and click on device and you find the bottom of the Calibre screen notes you are attached to the Touchpad.

You then transfer the Calibre library - all 1500 books if that is the size you are working with - and it goes in the correct "Palm" directories for Kindle use. But to get the files listed in the Kindle registry you load this program, Kindle-Import, tell it to load new books and wait about 10 seconds per book. It will be done at that point but will still say "operation in progress" - so flick it off the screen and restart the device. Run Kindle-Import again, load new books and in under a minute all the books show up and you press import to Kindle and it immediately (20 seconds) says 1500 books imported. And indeed they are there.

To delete a book you delete in Kindle -import as there seems no way to do so in the Kindle-Beta. You may need to use a file handler like Germini or the free "internalz-pro" to actually delete the files (mobi and images) on the touchpad, in which case you use kindle import and press remove ALL import files, then load new books again, then import again.

So the problem is Kindle-import does not know how to close with a large load of new books. But it is not a big deal and I am sure will be fixed on update. It would be nice if the delete process was cleaner - but that may take more time that the developer has at this time. In any case I just want to thank the developer for a great job! It made the Touchpad purchase worthwhile for my book reading wife.
    Thank you for this. Unfortunately I'm not having much success.

I'll outline the stages I went through and, if you have the time, I'd appreciate my errors being pointed out.

I decided to start as fresh as I could:

I deleted the kindle app, the kindle import app, the .palmkindle folder, and the calibre drive and metadata files.

I then reinstalled the apps, using webosquickinstall from my PC.

I restarted the HPTP

I fired up calibre and uploaded all the books to the device - about 2000 books.

I then started the kindleimport, and clicked on "load new books"

I got the "operation in progress" and went to bed.

The operation in progress was still going 12 hours late, so I swiped away the import app, and restarted the HPTP.

Restarted the KinleImport app and clicked again on "load new books" and it went into the operation in progress thing again.

So, now I'm going to restart and load 999 books and see how far I get.

Is there any log I can upload to help?
    Quote Originally Posted by zyxwvuuu View Post
    Cool, I didn't realize you could edit locations in kindle import until you said that, thanks. It is a little time intensive for 150 books, checking my kindle then writing the correct number, so that calibre thing would be useful. Also, I've been delving through many forums about the whispersync with sideloaded books, I have updated Calibre and reconverted all of my mobis, deleted and resent to my kindle and my touchpad, etc. But sync doesn't seem to work. Do I have to "download metadata" for all the books again in order for Calibre to generate an ASIN or just convert them to mobi? Also, sync doesn't even seem to work between touchpad and kindle with purchased amazon books, so I don't know whats up with that. m0ngr31 if you see this I know you had whispersync working @ one point, was it with touchpad? Thanks!
    Dredging up an old topic here, but has anyone gotten whispersync working on a Touchpad, with either Amazon book or sideloads? Just got an iPod touch and cannot sync locations.
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast