Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 258
Like Tree27Likes
  1.    #181  
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroscope View Post
    Definitely strange behavior it seems to not be related to book titles as far as I can see.

    When I first started loading the books I was doing them a couple hundred at a time (have 3200 books in the library. I formatted them all from epub to mobi with the Calibre. As I loaded thema couple hundred at a time I noticed that I had multiple copies loaded of each book as I was apparently reloading the first chunk as I loaded the second et cetera. I then went in and deleted the books from the device to start over. When I tried to load the books in a single chunk up to the same spot it hung in operation in progress screen.

    Instead of attempting to load them all at once I attempted to load them a couple hundred at a time and now I cannot even load the same books I once had. I also tried deleting and re-registering the kindle app thinking perhaps I had broken some file association or something odd like that by trying to reload the same books I had deleted before... still no help it seems to hate me
    Another user reported the duplicate book issue you are seeing once he loaded more than around 1000 books. This is on the list of issues that I intend to look at. I only have around 150 books so when time permits I will need to duplicate my book collection in order to reproduce and diagnose this. I suspect it has something to do with either running out of space for the Kindle database or the query I use to pull the books from the database is returning a subset of the actual result set because of some unbeknownst result set size limitation. Either way this is a known limitation of Kindle and/or Kindle Import and/or the db8 database that I may or may not be able to resolve. In the mean time I would recommend loading your favorite few hundred.
    If you like my work on Kindle Import and the Calibre WebOS plugin and want to contribute toward improvements and future WebOS projects.

  2. #182  
    Lucky me I got BOTH of the rare bugs! Hang on loading AND duplicate books. I thought they were related or part of the same issue but I guess I am just lucky. All bad luck but I got a LOT of it lol
  3. #183  
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzaboy192 View Post
    Try Calibre. You need .mobi files to make Kindle Import work. .Mobi files are what the real Kindle uses, and Amazon's Kindle Beta app uses them too.
    It's the simple-ist way to get it to work.
    Calibre will detect the Touchpad and copy them over automagically as well. (as long as it's in USB mode)
    I thought Mobi Pocket creator would create .mobi files. How do I get .mobi files
  4. #184  
    Go here calibre - Download calibre, download the correct version for your computer (windows, mac, linux) and set it up on your computer. Open Calibre and use the Add Books button to add your books to Calibre. Then use the Convert Books button to covert your books to mobi format.
  5. #185  
    The calibre converted my pdf to .mobi and I was able to transfer with Kindle Importer with no problem. Only problem I noticed is that the book has much larger spaces between paragraphs.
    Anyone else have this problem?

    Thanks,
  6. #186  
    Quote Originally Posted by jnkbox@hotmail.com View Post
    I thought Mobi Pocket creator would create .mobi files. How do I get .mobi files
    Just fyi, Mobipocket Creator does create mobi books. Due to some strange logic, perhaps having to do with the fact that mobi books were frequently read on old PalmOS devices, the extension Creator uses is .prc. From the mobileread.com wiki on .prc files:

    All programs on a PalmOS device are PRC databases, with the resources being the actual program code. However, not all PRC databases are programs. It is possible for data files to be PRC databases, and products like the MobiPocket reader for PalmOS store documents with a PRC extension.
    If you're interested in reading more about ebook formats, check out the wiki at MobileRead. The only thing you really have to know, though, is that you can change the file extension from .prc to .mobi and it will work just fine. Your computer will probably warn you it could make the file unstable, but trust me, I've done it hundreds of times. If you know the file is a book (which it definitely is if you just created it) and not an old PalmOS app, then you can change the file extension at will.

    As for Calibre and the extra spaces in between paragraphs, this is a setting in the preferences of Calibre that can be changed. For more information, go read the really comprehensive help files provided by the creator of Calibre that will teach you how to adjust the conversion settings, specifically this section of the help files.

    Before Calibre existed, I used Mobipocket Creator, but I've since switched to using Calibre for all my ebook needs. The range of stuff you can do with the program is amazing, and it's fantastic for keeping track of your library.
    kjhenrie likes this.
  7. #187  
    I'm going to try and load a book for the very first time and want to make sure I'm reading this right.

    I already have the Book in Calibre which has 3 files associated with the book which are Cover, metadata.opf & bookname.mobi. I connected the TP to computer in USB mode and tried to create the following directory structure

    /media/internal/.palmkindle/coverCache

    I was doing this from laptop using Windows Explorer but it would not allow me to create .palmkindle directory. So now I'm a little confused, since this whole dir structure did not exist on the TP and and so my understanding was that I create the dir structure and copy the cover and .mobi files into the appropriate dir and then using Kindle import to actually side load the book.

    So obviously I'm doing something wrong as I can't even create the dir path. What is it that I'm missing or have misunderstood the steps?
  8.    #188  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbloggs View Post
    I'm going to try and load a book for the very first time and want to make sure I'm reading this right.

    I already have the Book in Calibre which has 3 files associated with the book which are Cover, metadata.opf & bookname.mobi. I connected the TP to computer in USB mode and tried to create the following directory structure

    /media/internal/.palmkindle/coverCache

    I was doing this from laptop using Windows Explorer but it would not allow me to create .palmkindle directory. So now I'm a little confused, since this whole dir structure did not exist on the TP and and so my understanding was that I create the dir structure and copy the cover and .mobi files into the appropriate dir and then using Kindle import to actually side load the book.

    So obviously I'm doing something wrong as I can't even create the dir path. What is it that I'm missing or have misunderstood the steps?
    If you have the Kindle application installed and registered the directory structure will be created for you. If you have the latest version of Calibre open when you connect the TP and select USB Calibre will recognize the TP. You can then use the 'Send books to device' feature in Calibre. Finally you will need to run Kindle Import to load and then import the books. See the Help menu for details.
    If you like my work on Kindle Import and the Calibre WebOS plugin and want to contribute toward improvements and future WebOS projects.

    jbloggs likes this.
  9. #189  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    If you have the Kindle application installed and registered the directory structure will be created for you. If you have the latest version of Calibre open when you connect the TP and select USB Calibre will recognize the TP. You can then use the 'Send books to device' feature in Calibre. Finally you will need to run Kindle Import to load and then import the books. See the Help menu for details.
    Thanks. Just before leaving for work I checked the directory structure since I have Kindle app already installed and saw that the .palmkindle/ directory was created on the root of the TP drive instead of within /media/internals/. I used Calibre to send the book to the device and it did place in the .palmkindle directory. So my question is why was the directory structure created at the root level of the TP and will that matter when I do the 'load' and the 'import' from the Kindle Import app?

    Thanks for your help.
  10. #190  
    Before you try to load your books using Kindle Import, just make sure you have done a reboot of the TP since you have loaded the Kindle Import app. The Amazon Kindle app should have created the .palmkindle directory. Mine is in /media/internal...I have set up the Kindle app several times (had some other issues so had to doctor...) and it always appears there.

    If you have a problem you can always start again. Deregister and reregister the TouchPad from your Kindle account (that will get rid of the .palmkindle folder and files and then create a new .palmkindle folder), install Kindle import, reboot your TP, use Calibre to get the files over to the .palmkindle folder on the TP, and use Kindle Import to "load" the books so the Kindle app can see them.
  11. #191  
    I De-registered the TP from the Kindle app and the registered it again but it still created the .palmkindle folder in the root of the TP. Does it matter that I already had the Media directory already before kindle registration also I have version 0.12.50 Beta of the Kindle that I installed.

    EDIT: Scratch that. I must have missed the memo telling everyone that when you connect TP to PC in USB mode, you will presented with the \media\Internal\ structure already and to confuse things more I had created a directory called 'Media' which I thought was at root but infact it is created at the \Media\Internal\Media level.

    I will now go ahead and reinstall Kindle 0.12.50 and then continue my book loading experiment.
    Last edited by jbloggs; 11/03/2011 at 08:33 PM.
  12. #192  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbloggs View Post
    I De-registered the TP from the Kindle app and the registered it again but it still created the .palmkindle folder in the root of the TP. Does it matter that I already had the Media directory already before kindle registration also I have version 0.12.50 Beta of the Kindle that I installed.
    when you connect via usb you are already in media/internal
  13. #193  
    Quote Originally Posted by joedisaster View Post
    when you connect via usb you are already in media/internal
    Yeah, tell me about it Thanks for that info, I didn't see your post until just now. I found out by going into the Internalz app. That was a critical piece of the puzzle that I missed somewhere along the line.

    Anyway thanks to all for being very helpful . I have now successfully side loaded a single book. Now if someone one can point me in the direction of how to side load hundred+ books with correct 'Location' number without having to figure out manually for each one and then having to rename each file manually. Also is there any significance to the ASIN number?
    Last edited by jbloggs; 11/04/2011 at 07:32 AM.
  14. m0ngr31's Avatar
    Posts
    365 Posts
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    #194  
    You can just use my script that is talked about in the first post. It'll figure out the book locations for you automatically. ASIN numbers just need to be unique
  15. #195  
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngr31 View Post
    You can just use my script that is talked about in the first post. It'll figure out the book locations for you automatically. ASIN numbers just need to be unique
    Excellent !!! Thanks very much.
  16. #196  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbloggs View Post
    Excellent !!! Thanks very much.
    Now that you have Calibre up and running you can also use that to manage your books. I have a lot of kindle books but I probably only have 15 on my TouchPad at any one time.

    FYI--the script works great. I use that and then copy the book(s) and cover(s) over to the TouchPad wirelessly (use TBtransfer). The benefit of using the script is getting the locations. If you don't use the script, you can add the locations any time--even if you have already loaded the books using Kindle Import.
  17. #197  
    Here's a fun one for you:
    I doctor'd my TP again after Kindle Import wouldn't work. I'm running 3.0.4.
    It won't work on a freshly doctored device.
    What do I do now?

    Edit: Turns out that my "doctored" device ended up breaking things. I couldn't even get Internalz HD to run, as the service that it requires wasn't working either.
    I've tried doctoring again, following the PreCentral guidelines instead of the HP ones. Hopefully this works this time.
    Edit2: Works well again. my TP was borked anyways from the OTA update, but HP's directions don't fix patches. You have to reboot the TP into flash-mode to doctor it properly.
    Last edited by pizzaboy192; 11/07/2011 at 10:40 AM.
  18. #198  
    This doesn't work for me. I just keep getting "Operation Failed"....then it immediately says "Operation in Progress" and hangs up on this....nothing happens.

    I used Calibre and the book is in the TP's kindle directory. I just got those error messages instantly when trying to load the book.
    Last edited by TouchMe79; 11/19/2011 at 11:15 PM.
  19. #199  
    Please disregard. Rebooted and it works fine now...hopefully it will continue to!

    Now, if I could just get the text size bigger....dont see how to do that
  20. #200  
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchMe79 View Post
    Please disregard. Rebooted and it works fine now...hopefully it will continue to!

    Now, if I could just get the text size bigger....dont see how to do that
    Are you trying to make the text bigger in the Amazon app? Just tap in the middle of the page in a book you are reading and a header will appear--then look in the upper right hand corner. Tap on the Aa you see there--move along the slider that comes up until you have a text size you like. Tap on the page again to close the text option. Tap the page again if you want to get rid of the header.

Posting Permissions