Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by henschkowski View Post
    Hi Paul,

What OS and version are you using?
    Is there any text in the window on the server side?
    Are the controls (up, down etc..) enabled (ie, not greyed out) on the device?
    Hi,
    WebOS 2.2.4
    No text on server side.
    Control buttons appear active and bluetooth dongle responds.
    Paul
  2.    #42  
    Hm, I never tested with WebOS 2.2 - but this should work OK as only official APIs are used.

For the server side: What OS / Version? More specifically - what bluetooth driver are you using? How do you start the server side software?

There should be at least a line

-- Waiting for connection on RFCOMM channel 1 --

after you start the server side software.

Reading your first post -- did you install not only Python, but also the rest of the server side software? Please have a look at the developer web page at webos-bluetooth-remote-presenter - Use a WebOS device to remote-control presentations on Windows and Linux PCs and Macs - Google Project Hosting and follow the steps to install the server-side software.
    Last edited by henschkowski; 02/05/2012 at 04:04 PM.
    Hm, I never tested with WebOS 2.2 - but this should work OK as only official APIs are used.

For the server side: What OS / Version? More specifically - what bluetooth driver are you using? How do you start the server side software?

There should be at least a line

-- Waiting for connection on RFCOMM channel 1 --

after you start the server side software.

Reading your first post -- did you install not only Python, but also the rest of the server side software? Please have a look at the developer web page at webos-bluetooth-remote-presenter - Use a WebOS device to remote-control presentations on Windows and Linux PCs and Macs - Google Project Hosting and follow the steps to install the server-side software.
    Thanks for such prompt replies.

Dialog box states: Enter virtual com port number for your bluetooth device. I do so and it recognises key-presses and screen prompts.

I have installed all Python files on Win7 and tried following instructions on said page. When running bluetooth do I need to have Python running? Which script to I enable and how? Some screen dumps may be beneficial as I'm competent with computers but the instructions listed have thrown me somewhat.

I know I'm close it's just a matter of getting the commands applied to software/operating system.

Thanks again,
    Paul
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulscarbs View Post
    Dialog box states: Enter virtual com port number for your bluetooth device. I do so and it recognises key-presses and screen prompts.

I have installed all Python files on Win7 and tried following instructions on said page. When running bluetooth do I need to have Python running? Which script to I enable and how? Some screen dumps may be beneficial as I'm competent with computers but the instructions listed have thrown me somewhat.
    OK, when you get prompted for the virtual COM port number, the server software script is working OK .. no need to do something special with python or else.

Did you set up a virtual COM port for your bluetooth device with the Win7 bluethooth control panel? What do you mean by "recognises key-presses and screen prompts"? Is there any action in the command window after you entered the the virtual COM port number and then press some keys on the device? (Might be best to send me a screenshot - ralf (dot) henschkowski (a t) gmail (dot) com)
    Do you use the bluetoothserver_win32_bin_1.0.2.zip from the developer home page?
    OK, when you get prompted for the virtual COM port number, the server software script is working OK .. no need to do something special with python or else.

Did you set up a virtual COM port for your bluetooth device with the Win7 bluethooth control panel? What do you mean by "recognises key-presses and screen prompts"? Is there any action in the command window after you entered the the virtual COM port number and then press some keys on the device? (Might be best to send me a screenshot - ralf (dot) henschkowski (a t) gmail (dot) com)
    Do you use the bluetoothserver_win32_bin_1.0.2.zip from the developer home page?
    Email message sent.

Still having difficulties
    Yesssss

I got it working.

I uninstalled all bluetooth software then searched for generic Windows drivers.

I followed Ralf's instructions via email and success!

I am now hoping for more developments so that Media player could be controlled - even simply using play/pause, and skip tracks (in both directions).

Thumbs up to Ralf.
    Last edited by Paulscarbs; 02/12/2012 at 02:48 PM.
  7.    #47  
    Yesssss

I got it working.

I uninstalled all bluetooth software then searched for generic Windows drivers.

I followed Ralf's instructions via email and success!

I am now hoping for more developments so that Media player could be controlled - even simply using play/pause, and skip tracks (in both directions).

Thumbs up to Ralf.
    Hey great!

I fixed the "missing cursor keys" issue in the meanwhile and will upload a new app version ASAP (the interface for updating an app changes - cannot find the edit button ...).

This new version requieres an update of the server application. One can configure each on-screen button from a choice of alt-tab, enter, page-up/down and cursor-up/down/left/right, makes it much easier to control iTunes and Media Player.

Unfortunately, the settings are lost once the app is terminated ..
    Hey great!

I fixed the "missing cursor keys" issue in the meanwhile and will upload a new app version ASAP (the interface for updating an app changes - cannot find the edit button ...).

This new version requieres an update of the server application. One can configure each on-screen button from a choice of alt-tab, enter, page-up/down and cursor-up/down/left/right, makes it much easier to control iTunes and Media Player.

Unfortunately, the settings are lost once the app is terminated ..
    Thanks Ralf, do post a note when the new version is available.

Is there any way the script from the dialogue box could be saved and reused once the buttons have been configured (I'm not a programmer as you can tell!)? If not I'm sure somebody will come up with a way of ensuring it can be used without being reconfigured each time!

I for one appreciate your time and effort on this app Ralf

Paul
  9.    #49  
    Is there any way the script from the dialogue box could be saved and reused once the buttons have been configured (I'm not a programmer as you can tell!)? If not I'm sure somebody will come up with a way of ensuring it can be used without being reconfigured each time!
    Yes, there is more than one WebOS API for that .. I will choose the most simple one, should not be a big deal for that 7-8 settings.
  10.    #50  
    I uploaded a new version (1.0.6) of the app that saves the key mappings from the preferences menu to a cookie and loads them on start.

The server side is not affected (and thus stays at version 1.0.5).

- Ralf
    Thanks a lot for the update! However, when I try to use the cursor up, down etc... functions, the cursor doesn't move, instead the page moves up, down etc.... Was this intended or is the actual mouse cursor meant to move but I can't seem to get it to work?
    Here's my solution to a problem of using Media Player remotely with Bluetooth Remote.

Thanks to Ralf I am able to communicate forward and back page commands within Powerpoint.
    To this effect I created a Slideshow with about 10 different pages. Every other page was coloured differently. I then added a media file (audio) to the coloured pages and made a note which audio track was on which coloured page.

This is how I used the file.
    In the hall I was using to teach dance I was able to remotely control the laptop some distance away yet still see the colour on the screen. The colour referenced a song I had made a note of earlier and I was able to co-ordinate whichever track I wanted. The white pages alternating the coloured simply gave me a 'resting' page where I could be sure no audio was playing. I used the resource today and it worked really well.

Thanks Ralf
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by zobair5 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the update! However, when I try to use the cursor up, down etc... functions, the cursor doesn't move, instead the page moves up, down etc.... Was this intended or is the actual mouse cursor meant to move but I can't seem to get it to work?
    The intention is to move the cursor (just like using the arrow keys). I plan to add something that lets one use the touch area to move the mouse pointer (in this case, the on-screen buttons would have to be disabled - there is a nonfunctional preferences setting "Send mouse events" for this).

What moves in your application is actually application-dependent. For example, in PowerPoint, the "cursor down" events advances one slide (as does the "page down" event). In an editor like notepad you should see the cursor move down one line.
  14.    #54  
    In the hall I was using to teach dance I was able to remotely control the laptop some distance away yet still see the colour on the screen. The colour referenced a song I had made a note of earlier and I was able to co-ordinate whichever track I wanted. The white pages alternating the coloured simply gave me a 'resting' page where I could be sure no audio was playing. I used the resource today and it worked really well.
    Clever trick - thanks Paul!
    The intention is to move the cursor (just like using the arrow keys). I plan to add something that lets one use the touch area to move the mouse pointer (in this case, the on-screen buttons would have to be disabled - there is a nonfunctional preferences setting "Send mouse events" for this).

What moves in your application is actually application-dependent. For example, in PowerPoint, the "cursor down" events advances one slide (as does the "page down" event). In an editor like notepad you should see the cursor move down one line.
    Oh I usually call the mouse pointer, the mouse cursor, which is where I got confused hahaa. But yeah the ability to use the touch area to move the pointer, with left click would be great! I haven't come across a proper computer remote app for webos which uses bluetooth.
    Paulscarbs likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by zobair5 View Post
    Oh I usually call the mouse pointer, the mouse cursor, which is where I got confused hahaa. But yeah the ability to use the touch area to move the pointer, with left click would be great! I haven't come across a proper computer remote app for webos which uses bluetooth.
    Would value this too.
  17.    #57  
    A new version should be available soon in the Preware catalog.

I added an optional keepalive feature that sends a "keepalive" message every 10 seconds to keep dying Bluetooth connections alive.

Also added the ESC key to the list of values for the soft buttons (usable on Windows and Mac OS-X only). A server upgrade is required to make use of this.
    A new version should be available soon in the Preware catalog.

I added an optional keepalive feature that sends a "keepalive" message every 10 seconds to keep dying Bluetooth connections alive.

Also added the ESC key to the list of values for the soft buttons (usable on Windows and Mac OS-X only). A server upgrade is required to make use of this.
    I'm trying to set this up, but am stumbling on 1st step... my Palm Pre 2 won't pair with my HP ProBook 6455b running Windows 7 Enterprise. It's missing a "Bluetooth Peripheral Device" driver. I've been unable to source the right driver from any source.
    Have you tried using a native Windows USB driver or a 3rd party driver?
    Have you tried using a native Windows USB driver or a 3rd party driver?
    I've contacted HP support; I've reinstalled what I think is the appropriate Bluetooth driver package; I've installed the Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI) adaptor; I've installed the Bluetooth Remote Control HID; I've tried reinstalling the driver via Windows Update all to no avail.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast