webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > AudioSwitch for 2.1 switches audio output for exmpale to front speaker or Bluetooth
AudioSwitch for 2.1 switches audio output for exmpale to front speaker or Bluetooth
Like Tree1Likes

Old 07/29/2011, 08:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

This small App switches the output channels (like phone or media) of the Pre to valid devices (like Front Speaker or Bluetooth). It works quite well with LinPhone (alpha), but may be useful for other Apps as well. Bluetooth for Skype works on webOS 2.2.4, though Skype resets the output channel at each start.

Version 0.9.3 enables smaller steps for volume control. When enabled, a 50% volume slider range corresponds to an volume increment of plus/minus 15, about 1.2 regular steps.

The switch settings are not permanent, they do not survive boots and luna restarts. How long a channel remains switched, depends on the logic of the audio-App (that currently outputs audio). Whether AudioSwitch needs to be started before or after the audio App is a matter of trying. Starting 'before' is a good start.

I cannot test AudioSwitch on webOS 1.4. It has been reported to work on 1.4.5/Pre+. The naming seems strange with palm in there. That seems the only way to access the audio API. The settings for the voice control channel have not been tested at all.

DOWNLOAD
It will be submitted to homebrew. As long as it's not available download the attachment. (Not available means it's available on homebrew)

VERSION HISTORY
0.4.0 Initial beta release
0.4.1 Better service request error reporting, mainly for webOS 1.4 try outs
0.4.3 'Pick one' text in user interface
0.4.4 Bug fixed in update after blur/focus sequence of AudioSwitch(subscribe logic error)
0.5 Auto adjust UI to 'non-Pre 2' and landscape screens. Help text improved.
0.6 Handle ringer and protection if ringer set thru front speaker (ringer uses media channel, if that's set to the front-speaker, the ringer would be there too!)
0.7 Added a disable headset toggle per output channel (alfa stage)
0.8 new UI, almost no new features
0.9.2 Help text and other clarifications. No new features.
0.9.3 Bluetooth headset bug fixed (Skype OK now), relative volume control added for smaller volume steps
0.9.4 Help text bug fix
1.0.0 minor changes, debug message buffer overflow handled
-- added version 0.9.3 attachment on request

Last edited by Dick99999; 12/23/2012 at 12:33 AM. Reason: v 1.0.0
Dick99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by MartinH@webos likes this.
Old 11/04/2011, 07:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick99999 View Post
I cannot test AudioSwitch on webOS 1.4, it may work. The naming seems strange with palm in there. That seems the only way to access the audio API.
Works on Palm Pixi+ with WebOS 1.4.5 (great combo with linphone).
Monsteraluminium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2011, 02:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Works great on my 1.4.5 pre and pre plus. However, I tried to use it to route audio output to my touchpad, similarly to what the regular phone can do, but I either couldn't figure out how, or it just failed

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2011, 05:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
.... However, I tried to use it to route audio output to my touchpad, similarly to what the regular phone can do, but I either couldn't figure out how, or it just failed

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
What do you do on the Pre to route audio to the TP (speaker?)?
Old 12/23/2011, 09:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm trying to use a Panasonic Link to Cell Handset that uses BT to connect to my Pre 2. It works great via a regular call (VZW). But I can't keep the output coming through the handset after I dial or answer a Skype call - the phone sets itself to speakerphone output but it seems like AudioSwitch is still reporting "Bluetooth SCO". Any suggestions?

(To be honest, I'm not sure I know what to do to use the app right.)
kayphoonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/24/2011, 07:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
I'm trying to use a Panasonic Link to Cell Handset that uses BT to connect to my Pre 2. It works great via a regular call (VZW). But I can't keep the output coming through the handset after I dial or answer a Skype call - the phone sets itself to speakerphone output but it seems like AudioSwitch is still reporting "Bluetooth SCO". Any suggestions?
That is the way skype behaves. if you watch AudioSwitch during and right after a skype call you'll se that skype restores the output device.
Quote:
(To be honest, I'm not sure I know what to do to use the app right.)
if you don't use Linphone, or have no stuck headset entry or don't use skype BT for a single call, then you have to find a nice application of this App yourself, and please publish it.
Old 12/24/2011, 08:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
What do you do on the Pre to route audio to the TP (speaker?)?
sorry, I never saw this reply .. Any phone with bluetooth can use the Touchpad as a headset device to share calls. Easy as that. My tests back then couldn't get it routed.

Out of curiosity, I tried this on my TouchPad, since it did show up in Preware for it.. setting the Media Speaker to Front or Rear doesn't seem to have any effect on TouchPad, except that there are two completely seperate volume channels, so that's... weird.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 12/24/2011, 10:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
That is the way skype behaves. if you watch AudioSwitch during and right after a skype call you'll se that skype restores the output device.

if you don't use Linphone, or have no stuck headset entry or don't use skype BT for a single call, then you have to find a nice application of this App yourself, and please publish it.
Hey, thanks for the reply. I realized I wasn't sure I had restarted the phone after installing so I went ahead and did that. After that I was actually able to use Audio switch to restore the BT SCO setting after the Skype call was placed and on both the Panasonic and a Samsung Ear bud I was able to get Audio back out through both devices.

Unfortunately, it was very stuttery and not really usable. Is there anything I can do to improve quality?

EDIT: I apologize if this addition is off topic a bit but maybe it will help someone else out. It turns out that, while the Pre 2 w/2.2.4 doesn't seem to play well with Skype, the TP actually plays very well. So my Panasonic phone, paired with the TP can make and receive Skype calls. It would still be better if I could use my Pre, though!

Last edited by kayphoonstar; 12/25/2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12/26/2011, 02:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

the stuttering, chopped off sound isuue with Skype should be gone on 2.2.4. There is a P3 thread about that issue.
Old 12/26/2011, 03:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Hey, thanks for the reply. I realized I wasn't sure I had restarted the phone after installing so I went ahead and did that. After that I was actually able to use Audio switch to restore the BT SCO setting after the Skype call was placed and on both the Panasonic and a Samsung Ear bud I was able to get Audio back out through both devices.

Unfortunately, it was very stuttery and not really usable. Is there anything I can do to improve quality?

EDIT: I apologize if this addition is off topic a bit but maybe it will help someone else out. It turns out that, while the Pre 2 w/2.2.4 doesn't seem to play well with Skype, the TP actually plays very well. So my Panasonic phone, paired with the TP can make and receive Skype calls. It would still be better if I could use my Pre, though!
... wait, what? You paired a cell phone to the TouchPad, and were able to forward Skype calls from the TouchPad to the phone??
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 12/26/2011, 07:07 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
the stuttering, chopped off sound isuue with Skype should be gone on 2.2.4. There is a P3 thread about that issue.
That isn't my experience, I didn't start trying to use Skype on the Pre 2 until I Doctored to 2.2.4.

Quote:
... wait, what? You paired a cell phone to the TouchPad, and were able to forward Skype calls from the TouchPad to the phone??
Ha!

No, the Pansonic link-to-cell system isn't a cell phone. They're basically landline type units that you can also pair to a cell phone. But in my case, I paired it with the TP instead - so if my Skype number rings on the TP, the Panasonic units also ring; when I dial a number on one of the Panasonic handsets, the TP Dialer opens and makes the Skype call (from the TP) - but I use the handset to conduct the call. What's nice is that I can leave the TP on the TouchStone and move freely just carrying the handset - or I can just answer the call on the TP.
Old 12/26/2011, 07:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

... interesting. How does it do that? Out of curiosity, I just tried to make Skype calls from my handset and from my TouchPad, and neither device reacted like anything special was happening (ie, the TouchPad didn't do anything when I placed a skype call from handset, and vice versa)
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 12/26/2011, 12:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
........Out of curiosity, I tried this on my TouchPad, since it did show up in Preware for it.. setting the Media Speaker to Front or Rear doesn't seem to have any effect on TouchPad, except that there are two completely seperate volume channels, so that's... weird.
I could only test that in the emulator, have no TP. The messages from AudioSwitch/webOS seems to be OK on a TP. It could be that the code for the front speaker is still in there and for compatibility routed to the only speaker on a TP.
Old 12/26/2011, 12:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
That isn't my experience, I didn't start trying to use Skype on the Pre 2 until I Doctored to 2.2.4.
Did you also try a 'regular' BT headset with mic? There are 3 confirmations of the sound being OK, but they all might have reported using a regular headset. I have used the rear speaker of the P3 also for video calls, and also in that case the chopped sound is gone. Perhaps that's a good start for testing.
Old 12/26/2011, 02:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
... interesting. How does it do that? Out of curiosity, I just tried to make Skype calls from my handset and from my TouchPad, and neither device reacted like anything special was happening (ie, the TouchPad didn't do anything when I placed a skype call from handset, and vice versa)
Can you dial a regular phone number from the TP? I signed up for a Skype Number and then I could dial using the dialpad on the TP. So when I paired the Panasonic link-to-cell(Audio, not Phone) to the TP and dialed a number from the Panasonic Handset - it just pulled up the TP dialpad, dialed the Number, and then the call audio was piped through the handset. It's kinda sweet!

Quote:
Did you also try a 'regular' BT headset with mic? There are 3 confirmations of the sound being OK, but they all might have reported using a regular headset. I have used the rear speaker of the P3 also for video calls, and also in that case the chopped sound is gone. Perhaps that's a good start for testing.
My 'regular' BT headset/mic is my Samsung WEP870, but that does also convert to a stereo headset and will play music out through just the single earpiece/speaker. Could that be the issue?
Old 04/15/2012, 07:44 AM   #16 (permalink)

I am trying to use the Talknano BT headset with Audio switch for media sound but although it lets me select the various headset options the sound doesnlt come through. On my PC the Talknano shows as a handsfree device. Does anyone know how to get this to work. Incidentally the HS works for calls ok.

TIA

G
GougeUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/15/2012, 09:29 AM   #17 (permalink)

What system? Adioswitch does not function yet on the tablets.
Old 04/15/2012, 03:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

I am using Audio switch on my Pre 3. I just thought it might not work well with headsets that are only recognised on PC as HFP ire Hands Free Profile as a stereo Motorola S9 works fine as does a Nokia one on A2DP.

Anyone?

G
Old 04/16/2012, 01:50 PM   #19 (permalink)

I cannot test BT connect currently, but i think the BT device must be listed in the debug output window somewhere. Otherwise for sure, AudioSwitch won't be able to assist.
Old 04/28/2012, 01:04 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
I cannot test BT connect currently, but i think the BT device must be listed in the debug output window somewhere. Otherwise for sure, AudioSwitch won't be able to assist.
Device is listed in output window and the vol control on the device operates the increase vol option on the phone. Also the sound is being sent to the headset channel as sound is not going to the speakers but there is just no sound coming through the headset.

Tags
bluetooth, front speaker, headset

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0