Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    **There is a new app in the feeds called TouchVol, by bi0tech. It is much better than this one, offering actual on-device control of your sound system; Go get that one instead. I may in the future remove this app from the feeds entirely. Thanks to everyone who downloaded and enjoyed this little bandaid script!**

**There's an issue with the app currently and people are reporting that they cannot download/install it. I'm not certain why that's happening, I'm looking into it.**

This app simply increases the volume of your touchpad by applying a boost from the linux side. There's no UI, and it won't appear in your list of apps.

At current, I'm setting the property "AIF1 Boost" in asound to 2 on startup. This is of a max value of 3, and the touchpad default is 0. I have found that 3 causes far too much overdrive for the speakers, and 2 is on the edge. There is also a "Light" version which does boost 1 instead.

I used the WebOS-Internals build tools for packaging. The app will be released in the public domain.

Package is currently downloadable from com.pigsflew.increase-volume_1.0.2_all.ipk.

Light version (using 33% boost instead of 66%) is com.pigsflew.increase-volume-lite_1.0.2_all.ipk.

Source is on GitHub.

Please report any issues you have either on this forum or at my website. If possible, post here, that way anyone running into similar problems can benefit from my responses.

Changelog:
    1.0.0: Initial release
    1.0.1: Fixed "Spin forever" bug on install, more correctly calling upstart script from Postinst now, corrected feed name.
    1.0.2: Adding location so that Preware can install properly.

Notes:
    - In the future I might release a small frontend to control the boost, doing away with the need for multiple packages. In the mean time, please don't install both; No harm will come to your TouchPad, but it simply will use whichever script loads last on startup. The Lite version is awaiting moderation.
    - This isn't a patch -- it can be found under 'Available Other' --> 'Linux application' --> 'Utilities' in Preware.
    Last edited by pigsflew; 12/19/2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Adding lite version to the feed after all.
    Thank you so much for this. I've been following the other thread and installed your patch this morning. It makes a huge difference.
    was waiting for this!
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    how do we install this?

sorry :-)
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    in for the light version
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    how do we install this?

sorry :-)
    With Preware installed, tap on the link labelled here in the OP, and follow the prompts.
    Cool, just stumbled on this thread what's the other thread that was mentioned above?
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    With Preware installed, tap on the link labelled here in the OP, and follow the prompts.
    Cool. Works like a charm
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Just wanted to point out that if you are using the Advanced Browser, it apparently does not launch Preware when given an ipk url.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    How can I know if it installed?
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    I tried to install through Preware. For some reason it doesn't finish the install, just stalls.
    Sounds like a great patch but I had the same issue when trying to install with PreWare I get the "spin forever" circle and the install never completes... Any suggestion?
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    Will this increase the volume when using the TouchPad speakers, when using headphones, or both?
    Quote Originally Posted by damienh View Post
    Sounds like a great patch but I had the same issue when trying to install with PreWare I get the "spin forever" circle and the install never completes... Any suggestion?
    Same thing; but the manual install from the file you linked is fine. The patch works fine and certainly makes a difference in volume output from speakers and head phone jack. My only suggestion would be to tone down the gain a bit, perhaps by no more than 2-3 db. At max volume minus one, it's a bit over bearing and you can hear it "going into the red" with the minor distortions. Good job and thanks very much. I hope HP read this and incorporates this into the OS itself at some point. The default volume, even at max, really is far too low.
    Still spinning forever on install - anything I can do to help tshoot?
    also in for the light version.

I find that it does increase the volume but it also distorts bass at the top two volume bars. using a high quality pair of headphones reveals that it isnt just the touchpad speakers not being able to handle the higher volume.

thanks for all your work!
    Had to install it from the link above, preware still just spins....wow, it made a huge difference.
    Thank you....
    PJ
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    also in for the light version.

I find that it does increase the volume but it also distorts bass at the top two volume bars. using a high quality pair of headphones reveals that it isnt just the touchpad speakers not being able to handle the higher volume.

thanks for all your work!
    Agreed. I wish we had an equalizer to lower the bass, but this patch is unbeatable for what it did to voice dialogue in a movie. My next flight to Guam is going to be much more enjoyable. TWO THUMBS UP to pigs flew. Bravo!
    works like a charm.... Thx a ton
    Try Audiophile HD. It has bass and treble controlles and a volume boost!!!. Its a cool looking music player. This app combined with Pigsflew's patch are unbeatable. Thanks so much Pigflew.
    blackfireball5 likes this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast