Page 17 of 52 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
Like Tree163Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sirox View Post
    The Palm Pre (the Pre 2 in my case) is the only smartphone for which I have yet to find an IM solution that stays connected. I mean, all other smartphone platforms have something that works, how difficult can it be?
    Go ahead:
    git.webos-internals.org Git - applications/messaging-plugins.git/summary

Fix it for free.
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Apologies!!! I am not at all criticising your work in any way, sorry if you got it that way.
    What I am mostly surprised about is that not even the commercial solutions such as AgileMessenger and Mundu are reliable.

In relation to these new plugins, as I said before my disappointment comes from the fact that you offer a new GTalk plugin, and somehow I had the expectation that it would keep me connected better than the native plugin...

And trust me, I would have no problem in paying a high-price tag for a solution that works. I cannot develop it myself, obviously!

What really surprises me is that nobody in the Pre community seems to be bothered by the lack of reliable IM solutions on the Pre. I mean, nobody seems interested in having one, I get the feeling I am the only one with such requirements. Is that the case?!?!?
    Apologies!!! I am not at all criticising your work in any way, sorry if you got it that way.
    What I am mostly surprised about is that not even the commercial solutions such as AgileMessenger and Mundu are reliable.

In relation to these new plugins, as I said before my disappointment comes from the fact that you offer a new GTalk plugin, and somehow I had the expectation that it would keep me connected better than the native plugin...

And trust me, I would have no problem in paying a high-price tag for a solution that works. I cannot develop it myself, obviously!

What really surprises me is that nobody in the Pre community seems to be bothered by the lack of reliable IM solutions on the Pre. I mean, nobody seems interested in having one, I get the feeling I am the only one with such requirements. Is that the case?!?!?
    Yes, we're surprised too, but the problem is that webOS never really took off as a competitive platform, we're only about 1% of the smartphone market (maybe less), so, the big companies don't care about us. That's the reason to step in and port the plugins.

We just grabbed a newer version of the plugin and made it work with the platform, maybe newer bugs were introduced that we weren't aware of (there are some nasty problems with encryption that didn't exist before that are slowing me down to get the latest versions).

And well, maybe the problem was that, instead of trying to follow the thread you began ranting about the lack of reliable options for messaging. This is one option, and the thread is for support. There are many other threads talking about the same lack of options, there's no need to pollute this one.

And with that said, I'd better get back to work (both the real one and try to debug the encryption issues)

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    I use Agile Messenger on my Pre, it stays connect all the time. No synergy tho....
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    Not a huge deal, but I'm not able to paste into username or password input fields. Is this something on your end or Palm's? I use Lastpass which let's you copy your password and then paste it into another app, so without this capability, you have type it in manually, something that's a bit painful especially when you do randomly generated strings of alphanumeric and special characters!
    Maybe it's on our end, I'll check the fields to see if there's something wrong there

FWIW, I feel there's some underlying issues with WebOS 2.x and/or the messaging app that make the connect/reconnect issue worse than other platforms. Greg's messaging plugins on WebOS 1.4.5 were almost 100% reliable so I'm not sure what happened in WebOS 2.x. I doubt any plugin developer is going to be able to fix it. For the most part my gtalk and yahoo im are pretty reliable on my meta Pre+ with 2.1 but still not as reliable as 1.4.5.

I'll agree to disagree about reliability of other platforms connecting straight to the IM provider. Who knows maybe it's difference between the UK and the US. I've tested several other platforms and unless the IM apps are using an intermediary solution to insure delivery of messages you're not going to be able to stop some of the connection issues & dropped/undelivered messages.

Back on topic. Have you tried testing different timeout settings with Greg's and NuttyBunny's plugins to see if that impacts reliability? There maybe a sweet spot for this setting and gtalk.

Here's my guess. All of my friends quit using IM on their smartphones because it drains the sh@#t out of the battery :-) The companies I've worked for won't use it because it's not private and secure. With the prevalence of cheap unlimited txt plans why deal with IM? After all Yahoo and AIM can automatically txt you your IM messages if you go offline so reliability is no longer a concern. Not sure why Google is dragging there feet with this functionality.
    Last edited by peterlemonjello; 04/06/2011 at 12:31 PM.
    Well, yes, the gtalk messaging component is the "messaging" portion of your "google" account. This is an expected behaviour.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    So what is the point of this plugin? I already have messaging and can chat with my gtalk contacts. Am I missing something with this plugin.
    For some reason now it does not keep me logged in, does the plugin help me stay logged in?

Please explain.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kiukiukiu View Post
    I use Agile Messenger on my Pre, it stays connect all the time. No synergy tho....
    I'm testing IM+ and periodically (~30 min) Pre+ disconnects and re-connects.
    Palm is resting on the table connected to stable wifi.
    It seems that disconnects are inevitable, even for paid programs, and that should work is the re-connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by luisgmoespinoza View Post
    I'm testing IM+ and periodically (~30 min) Pre+ disconnects and re-connects.
    Palm is resting on the table connected to stable wifi.
    It seems that disconnects are inevitable, even for paid programs, and that should work is the re-connection.
    Are you sure it's a stable wifi?
    Check your Pre's IP address, and ping it every now and then, you'll may it's not always connected. If that's the case, it's not our fault. (and of course, this should go on a wifi thread, not here)

I must be dum or something when i hit the link to download it it gives me page with all sort of crap on it, how can i download it on to my pre with Preware? followed those steps on page 1 but doesnt seem to work
    Are you sure it's a stable wifi?
    Check your Pre's IP address, and ping it every now and then, you'll may it's not always connected. If that's the case, it's not our fault. (and of course, this should go on a wifi thread, not here)
    I'm going to connect using 3G network and test a while.

However, if wifi is the problem, plugin should know reconnect.
    I'm going to connect using 3G network and test a while.

However, if wifi is the problem, plugin should know reconnect.
    After an hour using 3 G, IM + not disconnected any time, so it is likely that the apparent stability of my WiFi network was not so certain.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    After an hour using 3 G, IM + not disconnected any time, so it is likely that the apparent stability of my WiFi network was not so certain.
    1 hour means nothing. Try for the whole day, while travelling through different places, inckuding the occasional black spots.
    I bet you'll find yourself disconnected very quickly...
    1 hour means nothing. Try for the whole day, while travelling through different places, inckuding the occasional black spots.
    I will.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I believe scuba-diving and flying into outer space will disconnect it too...
    OK, sorry for that. I understand that you want this thing to work no-matter-what but arent you exaggerating a bit? I mean, who really wants an IM to be connected for 24h especially on their phone?
    For what puproses? Can't you check it once or twice every few hours and reconnect? Aren't you in front of your PC/notebook or whatever some hours of the day?

@Nuttybunny. Some questions:
    1. Is it possible not to have the buddies profiles in your contacts ?
    2. Contacts and buddies are separate, deleting one doesn't affect the other?
    3. About Live Messenger. Is there any way: a) to have an avatar, b) to send/receive files and c) to inform the others that you are connected through your phone (Mobile Device or something next to your name)?

Thanks again for your efforts
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    So does anyone have Facebook working? And if so could you explain how you did it to me like I'm in 1st grade? I was able to get Pidgin working on my PC, but that's about it.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Ok, back to FB Chat, I'm trying to get it working through Jabber, but am having the same issue as someone noted earlier - when I click Sign in I get Login Failed "Write error."

I actually downloaded Pidgin for the PC to see if I could get it working there. No problems, works fine.

I am following the instructions as laid out in various messages in this thread, specifically:

email address: FB Username @ chat.facebook.com

password: FB password

Port: 5222

Timeout and Wait for Buddy List are defaults

No TLS

Resource: Pidgin

When I try just my FB username (without the @chat.facebook.com), I get Login Failed "Host Unknown"

When I choose ignore Invalid Cert, it successfully ads the account, but I do not see any buddies (I did this while the @chat.facebook.com was appended to username in the email field, perhaps I should try it but leave that out?)
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Nope, just tried it without the @chat.facebook.com and it wouldn't let me sign in, even with ignore invalid cert...

What is the point of this plugin?
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Tried going into accounts, selecting that Jabber account I just set up, and tried signing in again. This time it just keeps saying "connection failed" when trying to sign in. Ah well, maybe 3.07 will work via the Facebook Chat plugin...