Page 16 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
Like Tree163Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkvs View Post
    Just installed on my Pre+ 2.1 with no issues.

Can't get it work with the 'Facebook Chat' account, fails to login, 'username or password is invalid', but I'm sure they are valid.
    I'm sure you're using your email instead of just your facebook username

With the same settings Jabber option (same facebook login data) at least works. Duplicates every single contact from this new Jabber account in Contacts (not assigning them to existing contacts).
    Yes, that's how it's working right now, it has been reported earlier in the thread

I would say the old 1.4.5 patch (aka google talk) worked better.
    Really? It's the exact same thing

Is there any (technical) way to just add a functioning 'Messaging' switcher on existing built-in Synergy Facebook account?
    I don't know if Greg looked into it, but for now they will just stay this way to avoid conflicts
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I've managed to setup a Windows Live & Facebook Chat account, however, no contacts are appearing in my Messaging app. If I go in to Preferences & Accounts, and try signing in manually, I get a "Connection Failed" message. Any idea why I was able to create it, but, not connect? I installed this via Preware.
    I tried using the new aim version, I get the error when trying to create the account

"lost connection with server:/ncoonection reset by peer"

Facebook also give me incorrect username/password, I am using my username not my email, and it is @facebook.com right? if so I am using the correct details

Msn gives me "unable to authenticate: Authenticate failure"

:/ I must have done something wrong

Edit I got Msn working
    Last edited by kel101; 04/05/2011 at 01:52 PM.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    So I installed it, then added a couple accounts including facebook and msn, then i restarted my phone and now theres no tabs at the top of the messaging app to switch between conversations and buddies. Ive tried removing the accounts and uninstalling and it didnt help. I'm on an original pre on sprint hacked to 2.1. Would appreciate some help... thanks.
    Don't believe the Facebook Chat Spoof Patch is working for anyone since 1st April regardless of whether they're still in 1.4.5 or 2.X...

Unless someone wants to correct me?
    Yes the Facebook spoof is not working with my hacked pre +. Everything installs correctly, and my account shows up as online on a computer. but I get text notifications of numbered accounts FB chatting with me. Also I am unable to reply with my phone, if I reply with my computer I get a text notification on my pre of my own response. No contacts show up on my pre whatsoever.
    Set up MSN account. Got the Signing in spin (reminded me of old times ).
    Rebooted and auto-logged in.
    Logged out and unable to log back in.

GSM Pre on 2.1
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I both tried ICQ and Live Messenger and they work.
    However I have some questions.
    Is it possible not to have all these people in your contacts? Like for example it is done with FB app? Especially most of the ICQ ones are obsolete.

When I only had the Live Messenger I went to buddies and signed in and out. When I installed ICQ I could not get the thing from under buddies to work. Although I chose the account and online, nothing happened.

FB chat: I can log in, they can see me and send me messages. However I don't see anyone online, and when someone sends me a msg I get only a number and not his name and I cannot reply as it says that he is offline.
    Last edited by Loiter; 04/05/2011 at 06:16 PM.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Not a huge deal, but I'm not able to paste into username or password input fields. Is this something on your end or Palm's? I use Lastpass which let's you copy your password and then paste it into another app, so without this capability, you have type it in manually, something that's a bit painful especially when you do randomly generated strings of alphanumeric and special characters!
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    So am I supposed to use "Facebook chat" or "Jabber"?

Facebook chat logs in, but doesn't seem to work.

Jabber says "Host Unknown" when I try to add it.

EDIT: I got Jabber to add. I had to use "jabber.org" as the server, but still nothing happens after it logs in.
    Last edited by JTH182; 04/06/2011 at 03:18 AM.
    Well, stupid Facebook.

It seems now to require encryption to login. Try enabling TLS when creating the jabber account, I get an SSL error when trying to create it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Quote Originally Posted by zaxxy View Post
    Don't believe the Facebook Chat Spoof Patch is working for anyone since 1st April regardless of whether they're still in 1.4.5 or 2.X...

Unless someone wants to correct me?
    I use it in connection with 3.0.1 Version of the plug successfully.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I have a Pre 2 with WebOS 2.1, and my major disappointment with this phone is that the IM accounts just do not stay connected all the time, they occasionally disconnect (several times a day).
    I have therefore installed these new plugins, hoping that they would work better. The results are very disappointing:

1) My gtalk account works, displays all online contacts, but disconnects even more than using the native plugin! It does not stay up for more than half-an-hour at most, in constant WiFi coverage (I have not even tested it in a moving situation going from WiFi to cellular and back).

2) My Live Messenger account (not available as a native plugin) works slightly better, also shows all my online contacts, but also disconnects after 1 or 2 hours at most, again in constant WiFi connection.

The point is that all this is totally useless if IM accounts do not stay up all the time, regardless of connection type, movements, etc. And these do not stay up even in constant WiFi coverage.

On blackberries the IM apps keep you connected 24/7 without a glitch. When can I hope to get the same reliable performance on a Pre 2?
    Quote Originally Posted by sirox View Post
    On blackberries the IM apps keep you connected 24/7 without a glitch. When can I hope to get the same reliable performance on a Pre 2?
    You are comparing a homebrew port of a community made, reverse engineered application, to a corporate, supported application. Do you really think it's fair?

These set of plugins were ported due to the great idea of using libpurple (the base of Pidgin) by Palm. The best you will have is a similar performance to that in Pidgin.

Also, I just want to remind all the ranting wifi users everywhers, not all WiFi access points work the same, you may have the issue in which your AP disconnects your Pre. You can change access points or upgrade its firmware, and that even won't be a way to make you sure it will work.

The plugins work fine for most people. In my case, at home, they can stand connected all night with no issues whatsoever. I use a Linksys WRT54G 2.2 with Tomato 1.8.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    You are comparing a homebrew port of a community made, reverse engineered application, to a corporate, supported application. Do you really think it's fair?

These set of plugins were ported due to the great idea of using libpurple (the base of Pidgin) by Palm. The best you will have is a similar performance to that in Pidgin.

Also, I just want to remind all the ranting wifi users everywhers, not all WiFi access points work the same, you may have the issue in which your AP disconnects your Pre. You can change access points or upgrade its firmware, and that even won't be a way to make you sure it will work.

The plugins work fine for most people. In my case, at home, they can stand connected all night with no issues whatsoever. I use a Linksys WRT54G 2.2 with Tomato 1.8.
    I really do not understand what is the usefulness of an IM app if it does not stay connected all the time. I mean, that is the basics of the basics. If it disconnects, the rest loses meaning. I remember that even on PalmOS I could stay connected to MSN all the time with no issues.

On the Pre 2, the native gtalk plugin keeps me connected very reliably on WiFi, but when I start moving, and going through black spots in the 3G coverage, then at some point it disconnects, and loses messages.

These new plugins are a lot worse. I do understand that in your case they keep you connected while you sleep at night, but IM apps on a mobile phone are useful when you are outside, going through cellular networks, black spots, etc. Have you tried going through a full day in motion? Do they really keep you connected?

All I am saying is: how difficult can it be for an IM app to retry connecting all the time to ensure that one is connected as much as possible? There are tons of IM apps on all sorts of smartphones (some using push, some using pull technologies) that simply keep you connected all the time, regardless of where you move, except on the Pre 2. I have even tried commercial solutions, such as AgileMessenger and Mundu, but they all get disconnected after some time (could be a few hours, depending on where I move).

Is there any chance of getting a gtalk plugin that just stays connected, and in case of a momentary lack of connectivity, just reconnects automatically whenever connection resumes, without error notifications or other annoyances that require manual intervention?
    Of course it can be done, but the battery life will be worse.

Pidgin has been developed on machines that are turned on most of the time, and always connected. We're facing with the challenge to use that program's plugins in a device that always is in motion.

Future plans for this app includes switches to prefer Wifi, 3g, or even don't connect if one or the other is available. But you have to understand that we're taking an already made code and trying to make it work on a device is wasn't made for in the beginning.

And of course, if you're so desperate in having this fixed, you can always get the code and fix it yourself, that's the beauty of an open community.

And other thing: Try to log in using just cell data, you'll see that your connection will be very much stable because the way I see it, your phone is losing connection with your wifi network. That discussion, of course, is off topic and exists somewhere else in the forum.

The last thing here:
    If you aren't satisfied with the plugins, just don't use them.
    could some one explain the benefits of using this over the stock account for something like google chat? are there any added features or anything like that. just curious if i want to attempt to try these out.
    thanks
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    The last thing here:
    If you aren't satisfied with the plugins, just don't use them.
    And you are right on this point. The fact is that I was so excited to read about new Synergy plugins coming to WebOS 2.x, and I had the expectation that the whole purpose of replacing the native gtalk plugin with another one was to have a more stable connection. Hence my disappointment.

I really hope that you or someone else can one day come up with some reliable IM app or plugin, as this is the only reason why I cannot use the Pre 2 as my main phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirox View Post
    And you are right on this point. The fact is that I was so excited to read about new Synergy plugins coming to WebOS 2.x, and I had the expectation that the whole purpose of replacing the native gtalk plugin with another one was to have a more stable connection. Hence my disappointment.

I really hope that you or someone else can one day come up with some reliable IM app or plugin, as this is the only reason why I cannot use the Pre 2 as my main phone.
    This is a problem on every smart phone. Whether it's Android, WebOS, iOS, PalmOS, etc... Every platform has connection/reconnect issues. If gtalk is that important you might want to look into finding an SMS bridge. I personally don't have reconnect issues as long as I stay on wifi or 3g. Once I start bouncing between wifi and 3g then sometimes it doesn't reconnect.

Remember the whole purpose of IM is for instant messaging. The spec makes no guarantees of delivery whether the recipient is offline or online. Each IM service has different implementations too. FWIW, unless there's a server brokering the IM communication, such as with push notifications, IM communication will always be shotty.

Thanks NuttyBunny & Greg for everything you've done to get us to this point.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    This is a problem on every smart phone. Whether it's Android, WebOS, iOS, PalmOS, etc... Every platform has connection/reconnect issues. If gtalk is that important you might want to look into finding an SMS bridge. I personally don't have reconnect issues as long as I stay on wifi or 3g. Once I start bouncing between wifi and 3g then sometimes it doesn't reconnect.

Remember the whole purpose of IM is for instant messaging. The spec makes no guarantees of delivery whether the recipient is offline or online. Each IM service has different implementations too. FWIW, unless there's a server brokering the IM communication, such as with push notifications, IM communication will always be shotty.

Thanks NuttyBunny & Greg for everything you've done to get us to this point.
    You obviously do not have any other smartphones... I have and use daily smartphones with all available platforms.
    On my Android phone, the native gtalk app is totally reliable, it NEVER disconnects, and if the phone loses signal, it simply reconnects when the phone reconnects. And third-party apps like BeeJiveIM and Trillian (that use push technology) or IMBuddy, IMO, IM+ (which are all pull based) are all very reliable and keep the phone connected ALL THE TIME, regardless of how frequently you switch between wifi, cellular and black spots, and without draining the battery significantly (of course, push-based solutions do better in the deprtment).
    On Apple's iOS, apps like BeejiveIM and IM+ are totally reliable, they keep you connected even when your phone is off, as they have to rely a bit too much on Apple's push infrastructure, and hence do not realise when the phone has been switched off).
    And blackberries are of course very reliable on the IM front, they keep you connected 24/7 and never suffer from disconnects (push technology obviously helps, but blackberries use a hybrid push and pull solution, and they never let you down).

The Palm Pre (the Pre 2 in my case) is the only smartphone for which I have yet to find an IM solution that stays connected. I mean, all other smartphone platforms have something that works, how difficult can it be?