Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Current version 0.9.8, 4 February 2012

Did you ever wonder how large an A2 sized paper is? Or what “Letter” and “Legal” are?

This little app contains a list of all ISO 216 / DIN 476 paper size series (A, B, C, D), common North American formats (e.g. Letter, Legal, Executive), DIN/ISO and North American envelopes, and photo print sizes as a handy reference list. Dimensions can be displayed in millimetres, inches, points and pixels (different DPI values can be selected from the preferences), as well as aspect ratios.

Touch the view menu (bar at the top) to select the different paper size series.

The app's currently available in German and English. If you'd like to contribute another translation, I'd be happy if you contact me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by effjot; 02/03/2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: updated version and description
  2.    #2  
    I've released a new version (0.4.2) which allows you to use different units (millimetres, inches, pixels).

There's currently a problem with updating Homebrew apps. In the meantime, you can get the ipk file from my homepage.
  3.    #3  
    I've submitted the new version 0.5.0 to the Homebrew Catalog. There are now preferences settings for DPI value (for the display of sizes in pixels) and for choosing which paper size series should be shown at startup (or show the last one viewed).

The only things still on my roadmap to a "final" version 1.0 are:
    * preferences setting for unit at startup
    * a better icon

If anybody has additional wishes/suggestions, please post them here.
  4.    #4  
    I've released a new version (0.5.1) which includes a preferences setting for the unit at startup.

Again, there's currently a problem with updating Homebrew apps. In the meantime, you can get the ipk file from my homepage. (Attaching ipk files to forum messages is sadly not supported.)
    Update: App is now available from Homebrew / Preware.

Please post bugs and suggestions here. Thanks!

Would you like to have a Touchpad version of this app?
    Last edited by effjot; 09/27/2011 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Package uploaded to Homebrew
    It is a good app - and the size change to landscape when the phone is tilted into landscape mode is a nice feature!

If you could add a Common Photo Sizes category (4"x6", 5"x7", etc. all the way up to 60-something inch sizes) for the different photo sizes, that would be very helpful!
  6.    #6  
    @Bag of Leaves: Thanks for the nice suggestion! And sorry for the late reply; I was a bit too busy recently. :-(

I'd like to include photo sizes in the app during the next few days.
  7.    #7  
    The new version with photo print sizes is available from Homebrew. Please report any bugs and suggestions for improvement.

@Bag of Leaves: I found only photo sizes up to S12R on Wikipedia. Do you have a list of the bigger sizes you mention? Thanks!
  8.    #8  
    The new version with photo print sizes is available from Homebrew. Please report any bugs and suggestions for improvement.

@Bag of Leaves: I found only photo sizes up to S12R on Wikipedia. Do you have a list of the bigger sizes you mention? Thanks!
  9.    #9  
    Another update (0.9.1): a few more (larger) photo print sizes and the new “unit” aspect ratio. Select display style (“1:x” or “a:b”) in the preferences.
    Thanks for a good tool.
    A suggestion would be to add some additional North American sizes like Postcard--4x6", Tabloid Extra--12x18" or Super B--13x19" (also known as A3+). These sizes are used frequently in the print industry.
    I was with Palm before Palm wasn't cool.
    While I am at it, I will also ask that you please consider adding categories for ARCH, ANSI, and Envelopes sizes.

There are some tables for these listed on Wikipedia.
    Last edited by El Digit; 11/29/2011 at 10:06 PM. Reason: grammar
    pixels unit was a surprise to me in a print-centric app.

I expected to see 'points' (72nd of inch).
  13.    #13  
    @El Digit, @sdb1011: Thanks for your suggestions! I just published the new version 0.9.3 with some of your ideas already included: unit “points” and a few “American” sizes. Expect the rest on the weekend.

@El Digit: is “Postcard” (4in × 6in) standardised? I found various sizes in the range of 3.5…4.5 in × 5…6 in, and don't have American postcards for checking myself. (German postcards are usually A6.)

@sdb1011: I didn't think of the app as specifically “print-centric”, and myself have used the pixel reference several times already. So it's nice to have different people using the app to find out what's missing.

I just hope that there won't be any more units – I'll have problems squeezing them in the menu bar. ;-)
    Last edited by effjot; 12/01/2011 at 04:42 PM.
    can you please update the app to full use the Pre3 screen. It's very simple to just add one line of code into index.html.

this is useful app for me.

thanks.
    Treo 680, Centro, Pixi Plus, Veer, Pre3, TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by effjot View Post
    @El Digit: is “Postcard” (4in × 6in) standardised? I found various sizes in the range of 3.5…4.5 in × 5…6 in, and don't have American postcards for checking myself. (German postcards are usually A6.)
    Many printer/copier manufacturers use this standard size. Perhaps it is American or Print bias, but 4x6 is the ideal size for postcard for mailing in the US. However the United States Postal Service does publish a range of acceptable sizes (3.5x5 min to 4.25x6 max).

I think it is widely used precisely because it is close to the A6 standard and it allows 3 rows of 3 cards to be produced from a 12x18 sheet.

Thanks for being so responsive!
    I can't get it to install on my TouchPad. Is there a how-to somewhere ??
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Krute View Post
    I can't get it to install on my TouchPad. Is there a how-to somewhere ??
    Sorry, there's no TouchPad version yet. I will work on that when the phone version is stable enough. (Should happen after I included the proposed features.)
  18.    #18  
    I've published the 0.9.4 release, this contains Arch and ANSI sizes and some minor UI changes.

@El Digit: Thanks for the postcard clarification! Sorry that I forgot to put it in this release, but it will be there in the next one.

@911boy: Are you talking about the “uiRevision” line? I've set it to “2” for TouchPad support for another app; is this the same for the Pre3? Because the emulator has no Pre3 mode, could you test the app for me?
  19.    #19  
    @911boy: Sorry, I didn't read your message carefully enough, and thought you were talking about appinfo.json, instead of index.html. I did find the necessary changes here: [https://developer.palm.com/content/r..._devices.html]. I'll try the Pre3 emulator image there asap.
  20.    #20  
    @911boy: I've added Pre3 support and tested it in the emulator. However, when opening the App menu (top-left corner) or the pop-up menu for series selection, the scene flickers for a brief time. Could you please install the attached package (it's zipped because you can't upload ipk files *grrr*) and check if everything looks fine on the real Pre3?

Thanks a lot!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by effjot; 12/06/2011 at 02:46 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast