Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
    Congratulations!!
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    Congratulations! Nice snag. What will you be doing for them?
    Congratulations!
  4.    #164  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Congratulations! Nice snag. What will you be doing for them?
    Developing automated testing and building systems, especially for mobile communication systems. That means programming for and handling a massive array of parallelized servers and interacting with thousands of developers whose code needs to be examined, tested, stressed and coverage-checked. And all that with an exponential growth in both tests and affected developers.

You know, the fun stuff where your goal is to find a performance increase that puts the end of the testing time before the eventual heat-death of the universe.

Plus, as it's Intel, which currently expands like there's no tomorrow, there are bound to be lots of interesting side-projects.
    Sounds great!

BTW I haven't been able to send you those files yet because I've been sick & haven't been able to go downstairs to the computer.
    thanks. Eagerly awaiting mobi support and a final version in the App Catalog. I hope you get it near completion and in the App Catalog before the Touchpad is released. I would be proud to pay for and sport PReader on my Touchpad. Good luck with your new job.
    I know this is putting the cart way before the horse, but I wonder if the native preader will be able to sync book positions with the touchpad, so we can read the same books on our phones and touchpads without having to catch up on one device each time.
  8.    #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by goldyman View Post
    I know this is putting the cart way before the horse, but I wonder if the native preader will be able to sync book positions with the touchpad, so we can read the same books on our phones and touchpads without having to catch up on one device each time.
    This should be possible, as the new library format is file-based. All that's necessary for a sync is to copy over the library directory, or -- in case the data files were already copied -- copying the small metadata files for each book.

The harder problem will be to actually implement the sync itself. Hopefully the "tap-to-share" functionality of the Pre3 / TouchPad will be reasonably flexible to support this exchange. Of course, this leaves the older "legacy" devices out in the rain, as their syncing features are -- to not put too much of a fine point to it -- abysmal.
    If you had your library on something like Dropbox, at least the metadata, would that work?
  10.    #170  
    If you had your library on something like Dropbox, at least the metadata, would that work?
    Yup. As I said, the library is really just a simple folder filled with files. Of course, you'll need the data files to actually read the book, but once they're added, they're not changed, so if the DropBox client is sane, it shouldn't try to sync those files.
    It's funny. I'm getting all excited about getting a Touchpad when all of a sudden I realize - if pReader isn't available on it, I'm not in a real rush to get one any more. pReader is that important a part of my webOS experience.

Please don't read that as pressure to port (although that'd be nice ), just a realization of how much time I spend with pReader.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Firstly, congratulations Jappus on your new job. Very exciting!!!!

It's funny. I'm getting all excited about getting a Touchpad when all of a sudden I realize - if pReader isn't available on it, I'm not in a real rush to get one any more. pReader is that important a part of my webOS experience.

Please don't read that as pressure to port (although that'd be nice ), just a realization of how much time I spend with pReader.
    I'm in the exact same boat. Without pReader, not sure that I really want to go out and buy the TouchPad just yet. What would be the point of a nice TouchPad if I can't read my ebooks on it.
  13.    #173  
    Actually, as far as I can tell, the TouchPad still supports Mojo-based applications; which includes both the old pReader and the new alpha version.

The only issue will most likely be fullscreen support. If what I'm read is correct, then Mojo-based apps will default to being displayed in a small 320x480 frame centered in the middle of the screen. But I also have heard that one might enable fullscreen mode for those apps which can deal with it.

Only actually having a TouchPad will show this.

Anyway, as soon as I'm done with the alpha, I'll start to branch off an Enyo-based frontend. As Enyo mostly only changes the UI interaction, this shouldn't be too time consuming.

As for the progress of the native alpha. Well, it's really nearing completion as soon as I've added the last few formats, namely MobiPocket (already 70% done), HTML and FictionBook2. Because after that, I only need to touch up the few remaining missing frontend features like autoscrolling.

So, it won't be long.
    Mr. Jappus,

The pReader is an outstanding ereader. The ability to select a wide range of text and background colors is excellent. Here are some questions I have wanted to ask.

The Preferences area has the ability to select a custom font. Where does one store the font(s) on the Pre for selection? When choosing the "Custom Font Name", do I use the actual font name or the font file name, which is sometimes abbreviated? Does one need to observe upper case versus lower case of the file? Can I assume that any added font files are true type?

Is it possible to add the ability to use an internal, non-online, dictionary such as the Fictionwise .pdb dictionary files? This could speed up the time to look up the word.

Is it possible to decrease the number of key strokes or actions needed to access the dictionary? This might work as double-tapping a word directly in the book text that will highlight it and cause it to go directly to the preselected dictionary to show the definition.

Thanks
  15.    #175  
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCity View Post
    The Preferences area has the ability to select a custom font. Where does one store the font(s) on the Pre for selection?
    It's outlined in the offline help available through the app-menu. But here's the relevant section:

Quote Originally Posted by pReader Offline Help
    The Custom Font Name field allows you to select a custom font. Please note that you need to enter the name of the font here, not the name or path of the file. For example, a file might be named "ARIALUNI.TTF", but the font defined in it will most likely be called "Arial Unicode MS". If you want a tutorial on how to add custom fonts to your device, read this.
    Thanks to the wonder that is InternalZ, you can nowadays skip most of those steps. Simply copy the TTF file to your Pre, open up InternalZ, copy the file to "/usr/share/fonts/" and reboot your phone.

After that, you can easily select the font.

When choosing the "Custom Font Name", do I use the actual font name or the font file name, which is sometimes abbreviated? Does one need to observe upper case versus lower case of the file? Can I assume that any added font files are true type?
    As you can see above, you need to state the name of the font (or one of its self-defined alternative names); case does not matter.

And yes, every font preloaded by Palm are Truetype files, so you should expect best compatibility by sticking to it. But since WebOS uses fontconfig in the background, I expect Type1 and Bitmap fonts would work too -- but no guarantees there.

Is it possible to add the ability to use an internal, non-online, dictionary such as the Fictionwise .pdb dictionary files? This could speed up the time to look up the word.
    Unfortunately, no. The dictionary format of MobiPocket (and eReader) are not documented in any detail anywhere. As such, I have nothing to base my implementation on.

Furthermore, there's the complication of the technologies used in it. For example, MobiPocket dictionaries are defined and accessed by using a combination of JavaScript and an SQL-like language for data access. While the JavaScript part could be done relatively easily -- as long as you can live with executing potentially insecure external code -- the SQL-part is much harder.

Is it possible to decrease the number of key strokes or actions needed to access the dictionary? This might work as double-tapping a word directly in the book text that will highlight it and cause it to go directly to the preselected dictionary to show the definition.
    Yup, that'd be great, but unfortunately WebOS does not come with any capability to present raw HTML with highlightable text. It renders the HTML just fine, but deactivates the entire browser-UI apart from clicking on links and scrolling. As you might've noticed, zooming doesn't work either.

Perhaps Enyo will allow a little bit more flexibility in this regard than the Mojo-API, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. I've not yet seen any other app which makes use of shift+tab selection outside of plain-text input fields, where this feature is automatically offered by WebOS.

As for reducing the number of steps, well, you can assign the dictionary mode to one of the belt-bar buttons. That way, you just have to tap the belt-bar button and then tap "Okay" to enter dictionary mode.
    Thanks for your reply and information. I have installed a couple of fonts and tried them. This setup went well.

My reason in asking about font usage with the Native pReader is that the Menu/Help function is not working on my Pre. When I tap Help from the drop-down menu, either with the Library screen showing or the current book showing, the menu drop-down list closes; no help screen opens.

Previously, I had removed the older version of pReader from my phone. When using it, I had never tried to add fonts. I remember that its Help function worked.

Your reply implies that the Help section should work in the Native pReader. Thus, I thought I should mention this possible problem. Earlier, I thought it was one of those last items to add or fix. Possibly I have a corrupted or missing file.
    After RiverCity's reply, I thought I'd check mine. With pReader native 0.9.8 if I tap Help on the menu in the Library or reading a book, the menu disappears & no help comes up on mine either. I have a US Verizon Pre 2 with stock webOS 2.0.1 & no patches, themes, or replacement kernels.
  18.    #178  
    Thanks guys. I've just reinstalled the native alpha on my Pre2 and indeed, the online help stops working. I've added this bug to my ToDo list and will fix it before I release the next version. Of course, that only hides the underlying problem of the Help being woefully out-of-date.

Speaking of the next version, I've found a bit of idle spare time in the past few days and have furthered my work on the MobiPocket format. It's nearly complete now and all that's missing is the DRM decryption and some minor work on supporting the MobiPocket metadata fields. All in all, you can most likely expect the next release in the first week of July, if everything runs smoothly.
    Just in time to install on our new Touchpads BTW I asked on twitter to try it on the Touchpad emulator & someone did. It works & they sent a screenshot confirming it.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Just in time to install on our new Touchpads BTW I asked on twitter to try it on the Touchpad emulator & someone did. It works & they sent a screenshot confirming it.
    What is the resolution like? Does the text scale? Or are you stuck reading on a Pre size screen overlayed onto a tablet form factor?
Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast