Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
  1.    #141  
    Quote Originally Posted by fisher88 View Post
    hi Jappus,

I have installed v0.9.4 v0.9.5 v0.9.6,I found v0.9.4 worked well,but v0.9.5 v0.9.6 Still have the white-screen bug.

After many repeated installation, I find a good method,that is:First installation v0.9.4,Then covers install v0.9.6,now the 0.9.6 is worked well.
    Curious and curiouser!

The order of installation should have no influence whatsoever on the installation. All I can think of is that maybe, just maybe one of the installations botched something which prevented newer versions from being properly installed. Maybe your complete erase and re-installation of v0.9.4 caused this behaviour to go away.

It's just too bad that I don't have direct access to a device which actually suffers from the white-screen bug. Both my Pre2 and original Pre install and run every single version of the native alpha without a hitch. Even manually undoing the FStab Fix only caused a soft and planned rollover of the library directory to the application directory, which is always writeable.

I am from China,I find the Chinese books name shows correct with v0.9.4 ,but on v0.9.6 Chinese books name shows Mixed garbled display,Of course Chinese books of text display are correct.

Many Chinese users like your pReader, thanks
    Could you send me one of those files? Because, I tried it with Chinese ePub files from the Gutenberg project, and they all work just fine.

I've sent you my E-Mail address via PM.

Thanks again!

P.S.: By the way, at the moment, the metadata has to be encoded in CP-1252 or UTF-8. This assumption is true for ePub, eReader and most PalmDoc files. But of course, that won't be true anymore for HTML or FictionBook2 files. I know this bug and will make sure to fix it later on.
  2. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    I just installed the latest version from Sourceforge, and it loads up nice and quick, no issues so far.
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    I was about to post that Premier Native was not working for me since the last 0.96 update. However, I removed it via Preware. It hung up during the removal process. I checked my launcher and it was gone. I closed Preware and rebooted. I reinstalled it using Preware and had one book in my list. I had tried loading it in 0.95 and repeatedly got an error. The book was in my list but, would not open after being imported. I had three compatible books with the 2 available formats. I tried that one because it is larger than the 10MB limit in Preader. I am glad to report it is opening and displaying fine thus far. No other issues to report. I can't wait for more formats to be supported as I have several mobi ebooks larger than 10MB. Thanks for the great app contribution.
    I closed the app after reading for a few. Now it hangs up on the loading and testing back end screen. So, I uninstalled it. Downloaded versions 0.94, 0.95, and 0.96. I installed and uninstalled each one starting with 0.94. After doing this my loaded book database was empty in 0.96. I added at books. The largest one gave an error stating it could not load the book. It was in my list although it gave me that error. It opened fine also. I closed the app and immediately tried to reopen it. It hung at a screen listing 3 things. 2 checks displayed okay next to them. The app would not open. So, I uninstalled 0.96 and installed 0.94. There was three books in my list. The app is opening straight to were I left off in the book. I am using a Sprint FrankenPre Plus with webOS 2.1.0. I think I'll stick with 0.94 for now. Hope my recount helps anyone else with a similar issue.
    When I install 0.96 it installs and opens fine. Loads books fine. Change prefs fine. Read book fine. Close app then reopen app and it hangs at the screen that says "Have fun!" at the end. This behavior repeats consistently.

p.s. now running WebOS 2.1 on an unlocked Pre 2 GSM. No problems with original pReader. I understand that the OS version should make no difference but wanted to brag 8>).
    Last edited by gsparks2; 05/15/2011 at 09:48 AM. Reason: add more info
  6.    #146  
    Thanks y'all!

With the help of your problem descriptions I was finally, finally able to reproduce the dreaded "2nd startup crash"-bug. It was, of course, immediately squashed.

But you really won't believe what the problem was. The problem is PreWare!

If you install the pReader through Palm's command-line tools or through the Eclipse Plugin, everything works wonderfully. The bug does not occur at all. That's why I was never able to reproduce the bug: I never used PreWare to install the IPK.

As soon as I did so, the bug occurred. At some point or another during the application installation, PreWare subtly but horribly ****s something up. This does not affect the first application start, but the second one.

And here's why: PreWare does something that prevents cookies from being stored correctly (you know, those HTML thingies used to store short-term text data needed by most webpages).

The pReader uses exactly two cookies: One to store the last book you read, and one to store the last category you used. During a first application startup, these cookies don't exist, so no data can be read and the app boots correctly.

When you exit the pReader, it dutifully records the last book and last category. On the next start, it detects this and tries to load the saved data.

And here, the hammer falls. The first cookie (the last book) is read correctly. But the second cookie was somehow corrupted during its write and contains utter rubbish. This causes WebOS to abort reading the cookie with a nasty "undefined data" exception.

And this finally causes the pReader to crash, as it does not expect this exception.

I've checked it twice. This cookie-corruption only occurs when you use PreWare, but not when you use the command-line tools.

As soon as I realized this, the fix was quite easy: Simply stop using cookies. After all, I already have a better alternative where I store every other setting used by the pReader. After a short exchange of a few lines of code, the bug was finally gone.

To make a long story short: The v0.9.7 that I'll release in the next few days will contain two very, very nice changes:
    1. Removal of the "2nd startup crash"-bug.
    2. Full support for eReader-files. DRM and all.

Some days are better than others.
    Last edited by Jappus; 05/15/2011 at 01:46 PM.
    @Jappus Do you have any links to that information? A friend is struggling with a similar sounding issue - first boot is fine, second hangs. I know he is using cookies to store some settings.

Can you also give some info on your alternate method of storage?

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Thanks y'all!

With the help of your problem descriptions I was finally, finally able to reproduce the dreaded "2nd startup crash"-bug. It was, of course, immediately squashed.
    You're welcome. Hitting that thanks button under my posts would be great if I contributed.
  9.    #149  
    Quote Originally Posted by crucian4 View Post
    You're welcome. Hitting that thanks button under my posts would be great if I contributed.
    Okay, I just hit that button.

But really, I'll always prefer to thank you guys verbally rather than to succumb to the easy temptation of just absent-mindedly hitting a button. Seems more personal that way, you know.
  10.    #150  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    @Jappus Do you have any links to that information? A friend is struggling with a similar sounding issue - first boot is fine, second hangs. I know he is using cookies to store some settings.
    No, I don't have any links, just my own tests with the help of the onboard JavaScript debugger.

With a PreWare installation, you can see that the cookie-object itself is created just fine, but the moment you call its get() method to retrieve its content, an exception is thrown.

With a Command-line/Eclipse installation, the very same code runs perfectly fine and the data is correctly retrieved -- even if it's "undefined", i.e. not yet assigned.

Can you also give some info on your alternate method of storage?
    Sure. Instead of using Cookies, I use the Depot-API (which was admittedly just as badly designed by Palm). To circumvent the problem that the Depots Get/Set calls are exclusively asynchronous, a container object loads the parameters at the start of the app, presents them as synchronously usable JavaScript variables and syncs them on-demand.

If your friend wants details, he can browse the pReader's source repository here:
    SourceForge.net Repository - [preader] Index of /trunk

The relevant files are "src/Options.jsjsjs&$quot$; ($for$ $the$ $container$) $and$ &$quot$;$app$/$assistants$/$stage$-$assistant$.$js$&$quot$; $for$ $the$ $small$ $on$-$app$-$start$ $wait$ $till$ $all$ $data$ $is$ $loaded$.

SourceForge.net Repository - [preader] Contents of /trunk/src/Options.js

SourceForge.net Repository - [preader] Contents of /trunk/app/assistants/stage-assistant.js

From the latter file, only the two methods appLoadReadyLoop() and isFullyLoaded() are of interest.
  11.    #151  
    Good news, everyone!

I've just submitted v0.9.7 to both Sourceforge and PreCentral. Here are the most significant changes in this release:

1. Fixed a bug that caused the pReader to fail starting every time after the first start.
    2. Added eReader format, including DRM.
    3. Fixed a slight ePub bug that prevented images from being imported. You need to re-import the affected ePub files.
    4. Very small images are not blown up to 100% of the screen anymore. Instead, very small files are scaled up to at least 5% of the screen size and very large files are resized to fit onto the screen.

So, enjoy this release and happy reading!
    I just downloaded the app for the first time on my Sprint Pre. Version 0.9.7 installed ok, but when I launch it I get the following error when loading the library.

Library Failure
    No library storage directory is writable. The library could not be loaded. Check if the path "" is available, i.e. not blocked by a file. If this error persists, consider filing a bug report in the support thread.

The problem appears to be that the path is empty: "" ?
    Thanks. I installed. V 0.97 via Preware. Everything is still working great.
  14.    #154  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey McLellan View Post
    I just downloaded the app for the first time on my Sprint Pre. Version 0.9.7 installed ok, but when I launch it I get the following error when loading the library.

Library Failure
    No library storage directory is writable. The library could not be loaded. Check if the path "" is available, i.e. not blocked by a file. If this error persists, consider filing a bug report in the support thread.

The problem appears to be that the path is empty: "" ?
    There should be a file called "pReaderNative.log" in the root of your Pre's USB disk (it's "/media/internal" internally).

If it's there, could you please post its content?

Thanks!
    Jappus,

I've been quiet here for awhile because I just couldn't get the Native version to work.

However, with the release of ver 0.97 I am very happy to report that it's working perfectly!

Yahoo!

Thanks so much!
    Curtis
    Montana
    I am getting the same "no library storage directory is writeable" error. There is no file "pReaderNative.log" in the /media/internal directory. I used Preware to install, maybe there is another problem?

Jerry
  17.    #157  
    Quote Originally Posted by jladams View Post
    I am getting the same "no library storage directory is writeable" error. There is no file "pReaderNative.log" in the /media/internal directory. I used Preware to install, maybe there is another problem?
    Which WebOS version are you using? If it is WebOS 1.4.5, you may want to try installing the "Emergency Fstab Fixer" patch and then reboot your phone.

If that doesn't work, or if you're using WebOS 2.x, could you please install the "Lumberjack" tool, use it to activate the "Info" debugging level and then re-run the pReader?

After that, you should see a lot of log messages in Lumberjack, if you select the pReader app in it. I'd be very much interested in the lines preceding and including the last "error" messages. Since Lumberjack doesn't do Copy&Paste well, you probably have to take screenshots and post them here.

Thanks!
    Jappus,

I was pleased to learn that you had added the eReader files format, including those with DRM. I have installed version 0.9.7. It works. Both the DRM and non-DRM books are readable. The registration of the DRM books works well.

Thank You!
    Jappus,

The "Emergency Fstab Fixer" did the trick. Working fine now, thank you,

Jerry
  20.    #160  
    Good news, everyone!

I've just released v0.9.8. It's a rather small, incremental feature update without any significant bugfixes. The two major changes are:

1. Added support for plain-text files.
    2. Changed the ways IDs and folders for the imported books are named. This finally allows you to import files that have the same name, but reside in different folders. Previously, files with the same name overwrote earlier imports from files with the same name.

So, you may ask yourself: Why did I release this rather small update? Well, it's because I won't be able to do much in the way of programming during the next few weeks as I'm moving from one town to another. The simple reason for that being that I was hired by Intel Germany.

Joy and jubilations, indeed!

But of course that shouldn't stop you guys from reporting any bugs that you detect in the meantime, as I'll of course eventually resume coding again.

So, happy reading, everyone.
Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast