Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    I'll take a look at it, as soon as I can find the time.
    Just for the record, I fully support this being a low-priority issue. I doubt there are very many people that will be running a Pre- with 2.1 AND trying to add hundreds of books at a time. I think you've done amazing work with the original and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this native version.

I'm too cheap to buy a standalone ereader, and don't want to carry one around anyway; so your app has been a God-send.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
  2.    #122  
    Just for the record, I fully support this being a low-priority issue. I doubt there are very many people that will be running a Pre- with 2.1 AND trying to add hundreds of books at a time.
    Memory leaks are always bad, but especially bad on a mobile device, as usually you don't have several GB of free main memory to nibble at.

Anyway, that particular bug is now fixed, as I've removed the leaks and a minor bug in the handling of newly imported files. So, the next release should be able to import hundreds of books again, even on a Pre-.

As soon as I've finished the text-gap bug (and maybe the support for eReader documents which I'm coding up on the side), I'll release the v0.9.5.
  3.    #123  
    Good news, everyone!

I've just submitted v0.9.5, which fixes a lot of bugs in the back-end and improves the overall speed of the front-end. Here's the changelog:

• Fixed several memory leaks and import bugs in the back-end. It should now easily import hundreds of files at once.
    • Dramatically reduced the time to display long lists of open books.
    • Added option to truncate the length of displayed names.
    • Added option to automatically save the current reading position when a page change occurse. The default is to save at most every 5 minutes. The old default was to only save on app or book close.
    • Fixed some minor formatting and page layouting bugs.

Next up is to finish the implementation of the eReader format. I'm already halfway there, but I wanted to get this release out early, because it already fixes a lot of important bugs.

As for the strange bug that makes the pReader drop some pages at random, I was not yet able to reproduce it fully and reliably. So either I've already fixed it, or it's a really obscure bug that warrants a much, much deeper inspection. It'd be great if you could keep me updated on whether or not it still occurs to you guys and gals in this new version.

Thanks!
  4.    #124  
    It's quiet ... too quiet...

Yeah, I know the previous update didn't add many visible features, and your silence most likely means that I didn't introduce a bug that caused your phones to spontaneously explode ... or maybe I did and that's why it's so unusually quiet.

Anyway, the reason for me to write this is to inform y'all that I've just finished implementing the eReader DRM format, which means I'm done with the grueling task of implementing the eReader header parser, decompression and decryption routines.

Which means that I only need to add the text parsers and alter the frontend slightly to support the new DRM handling. Both tasks don't need much reverse-engineering and should be finished within the next few days.

Of course, at the moment I can only test it with the one DRM-ed file Retrobits was gracious enough to send me way, way back last year. Unfortunately there are no less than four DRM formats for eReader, that all differ in how they handle the metadata information records like links, footnotes, etc.

The text is always decrypted the same, so that shouldn't be a problem. But if anyone of you could send me a DRMed file or two, that'd be great to ensure that the metadata also decodes right.
    @Jappus I can send you several eReader DRM books of various vintages so you ought to be able to find some of the different versions. PM me your email. You just need last 8 digits right? Is there a particular time frame the different versions we're in use? I have books from earliest peanutreader to this Monday.
  6.    #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    @Jappus I can send you several eReader DRM books of various vintages so you ought to be able to find some of the different versions. PM me your email. You just need last 8 digits right? Is there a particular time frame the different versions we're in use? I have books from earliest peanutreader to this Monday.
    As far as I understand it, there are at least four different versions identified by a specific value (the compression field) in the eReader header. The four values I know of are:
    • 259 -- Seems to be the original eReader DRM format which is generated by the Makebook software, but as such rarely used. The text and images are decodable, but nothing beyond that, as I lack the files to reverse engineer the additional metadata fields.
    • 260 -- The standard DRM used by the DropBook generator. These seem to be the vast majority of the files. The file Retrobits gave me uses this and with its help, I could reverse-engineer most fields except for the links, footnotes and sidebars (as the file lacked those). The links are only of cosmetic interest, though.
    • 272 -- The B&N version of the DRM as generated by DropBook. This is the only format which I can guarantee to be fully decodeable, as all fields were already reverse engineered by others.
    • 138 -- Generated by the eBook Studio software from Palm Digital Media. The DRM in those files is completely obscure, which means I can decode nothing. I do have such a file and an unprotected copy, and I even know the key that was used to generate it ... but I have no clue about the key derivation, as it seems to be completely different. For one, it does not use Username+Number as all the other formats, but just a single number to determine the key...

So, in other words, one format is fully supported at the moment, one half supported, one just with text and images (no metadata beyond the title) and one not at all.

At least the two half-supported will be somewhat easy to reverse engineer, once I have a few files. The good thing is that this will (by my estimation) cover roughly 99.9995% of all the eReader books out there.
    Nice update.

I tried adding 31 books at a time (all I happened to have on my pre at the moment) and it worked well.

At the end, I got what may or may not have been an error message. It was so long that I couldn't read even see the whole thing, but what I could see just looked like a list of the books I'd added. The only option was "okay" so I hit it. The books didn't appear in my library immeiately, but they did when I closed pReader and re-launched it.

This is a MAJOR improvement over the last release, and appears to have solved the memory leak when adding books.

The parts that have been implemented seem to work quite well, so I'm really looking forward to when all the other stuff get's implemented.
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
  8.    #128  
    At the end, I got what may or may not have been an error message. It was so long that I couldn't read even see the whole thing, but what I could see just looked like a list of the books I'd added.
    Actually, that list should only appear for the books that did not import correctly. And yeah, I know it breaks badly when it lists many files, but fixing that is UI icing that's applied later.

But it bothers me that you saw the dialogue at all, because that means each of those files threw an exception in the backend during import. Are you sure that those files do actually work and contain all the text when you open them?

The only option was "okay" so I hit it. The books didn't appear in my library immeiately, but they did when I closed pReader and re-launched it.
    I've already fixed that bug for the next release. I had commented out the library refresh after the book import was done. But still thanks for reporting it.
    Jappus, Still having lost text in the 0.95 version. I think I can give you the ePub and some stats and locations of the missing pages by comparison of the same epub in both the native and original versions. should have time this weekend to do that!
    Just an FYI that I'm getting the white screen the second time I open pReader Native version 0.95. The first time I open it after install it seems to work OK, although if I add a book to the library the book doesn't show up as being in the library right away. If I close and reopen pReader Native I get the white screen. Closing it and reopening it again has no effect, and restarting the Pre doesn't help From that point on it's the white screen. The only solution I've found is to uninstall and reinstall. It happens whether or not I add a new book to the library, so this is now the fourth time I've installed it. I'm not relying on the native version since most of my newer books are in .mobi format, but I am looking forward to this version of pReader being complete since it's so much faster to load books. Any ideas on when it will load .mobi files? No rush, I'm just curious.

I see in the release notes from previous releases that the fstab bug can cause the white screen issue - do you know if this bug affects WebOS 2.1? I'd run the fstab fix for version 1.4.5 way back when but haven't done that since I installed 2.1, assuming it wasn't needed. I'll look into that more.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Nick31; 05/08/2011 at 02:10 PM.
    Nick
    Well, it's not the fstab issue. My /etc/fstab file has the correct umask for /media/internal. Anything you need that I could provide to help troubleshoot this, just let me know.
    Nick
    But it bothers me that you saw the dialogue at all, because that means each of those files threw an exception in the backend during import. Are you sure that those files do actually work and contain all the text when you open them?
    Yes. They're all DRM-free epub books. I created them in Calibre on my desktop. They all work perfectly in Calibre, pReader, pReader Native (despite the error), and Popelli Reader.

If it would be helpful, pm me an email address and I'll send you one.
  13.    #133  
    Good news, everyone!

I've just submitted v0.9.6. It fixes several application loading bugs and adds an (admittedly crude) application load progress display. At least this way, you won't see just a white screen, but something actually useful. Furthermore, just for this version I've activated all debug logging, so the pReader should spam the Javascript error log (retrievable via the Lumberjack application) and create a "pReaderNative.log" file on your USB media partition.

If you still experience problems, these two logs should help pinpoint the problem.

Furthermore, I was able to reproduce VeeDubb65's problem of the pReader spewing spurious error messages when you import certain ePub documents. I was not yet able to pinpoint the problem exactly, but as I can now reliably reproduce it, it should be gone by the next version.

Hopefully this version fixes the dreaded white-screen bug, or at least allows me to retrieve enough information to eliminate it in the next version once and for all.
    On my Palm Pre native pReader fails with this error. In description:

Error = Error: FILE ERROR: Couldn't create library directory/media/internal/appdata/com.mhwsoft.preader-native/.library

In earlier versions pReader didn't show any message, but was unusable. Blank screen apears and I couldn't do anythig.
  15.    #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakuje View Post
    Error = Error: FILE ERROR: Couldn't create library directory /media/internal/appdata/com.mhwsoft.preader-native/.library
    Could you please check if the stated directory exists? Is there maybe a file with the same name in the way? Say, "/media/internal/appdata", where appdata is a file instead of a directory?

Furthermore, does the "/media/internal/pReaderNative.log" file exist?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakuje View Post

Error = Error: FILE ERROR: Couldn't create library directory/media/internal/appdata/com.mhwsoft.preader-native/.library

In earlier versions pReader didn't show any message, but was unusable. Blank screen apears and I couldn't do anythig.
    I had the exact same error. Ran the emergency fstab patch from Preware, now all works as it should.
    I'm definitely seeing the issue, but at least it's not a white screen anymore!

(See attached screenshot)

Looks like it's choking on 'undefined' when parsing the JSON data for the library scene.

Here's the pReaderNative.log:

Code:
    [20110510-09:38:08] : Starting SDL/PDL Init
    [20110510-09:38:08] : Current working directory is:  /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.mhwsoft.preader-native
    [20110510-09:38:09] : Finished PDL Registration.
    [20110510-09:38:09] : Calling JSJSJS $BackendReady$()
    And the log file information from Lumberjack:
    Code:
    [2011-05-10 13:38:05] (pReader) Info: Requested submission : 367
    [2011-05-10 13:38:05] (pReader) Info: Current locale is en_us
    [2011-05-10 13:38:06] (pReader) Info: Device is: pre
    [2011-05-10 13:38:06] (pReader) Info: Detected Pre; using Pre-specific binary
    [2011-05-10 13:38:06] (pReader) Info: getAppInfo()
    [2011-05-10 13:38:06] (pReader) Info: File constructor
    [2011-05-10 13:38:06] (pReader) Info: File: setStream
    [2011-05-10 13:38:06] (pReader) Info: File: refresh
    [2011-05-10 13:38:07] (pReader) Info: File: refresh
    [2011-05-10 13:38:07] (pReader) Info: File: ready!
    [2011-05-10 13:38:07] (pReader) Info: readAppInfo()
    [2011-05-10 13:38:08] (pReader) Info: StageAssistant::setup()
    [2011-05-10 13:38:08] (pReader) Info: StageAssistant::appLoadReadyLoop() @ 1
    [2011-05-10 13:38:09] (pReader) Info: StageAssistant::appLoadReadyLoop() @ 2
    [2011-05-10 13:38:09] (pReader) Info: generateDeviceId
    [2011-05-10 13:38:09] (pReader) Info: computeDeviceIdChecksum
    [2011-05-10 13:38:09] (pReader) Info: backendReady()
    [2011-05-10 13:38:10] (pReader) Info: StageAssistant::appLoadReadyLoop() @ 3
    [2011-05-10 13:38:10] (pReader) Info: StageAssistant::appLoadReadyLoop() @ 4
    [2011-05-10 13:38:11] (pReader) Info: StageAssistant::appLoadReadyLoop() @ 5
    [2011-05-10 13:38:11] (pReader) Info: Switching to library scene
    [2011-05-10 13:38:11] (pReader) Info: LibraryAssistant()
    [2011-05-10 13:38:11] (pReader) Error: ERROR: native parser didn't like 'undefined'
    [2011-05-10 13:38:12] (pReader) Error: EXCEPTION [JSON.parse], (SyntaxError): "Unexpected token ILLEGAL"
    [2011-05-10 13:38:12] (pReader) Error: The scene 'Library' could not be pushed because an exception occurred.
    [2011-05-10 13:38:12] (pReader) Error: Error: Badly formed JSON string: 'undefined', line undefined, file undefined
    [2011-05-10 13:38:12] (pReader) Info: Transition ended.

Hope this helps. Thanks for all the work!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nick
    Could you please check if the stated directory exists? Is there maybe a file with the same name in the way? Say, "/media/internal/appdata", where appdata is a file instead of a directory?

Furthermore, does the "/media/internal/pReaderNative.log" file exist?

Thanks!
    None of these are there. No path appdata, no file appdata and no pReaderNative.log, when I look there in Internalz.

Edit: After instalation of fstab, it works, thanks. I'll try this reader
    Last edited by Jakuje; 05/10/2011 at 12:43 PM.
  19.    #139  
    Thanks guys.

I think I was able to track down the problem with your help. I simply had overlooked a small typo that falsely detected "/media/internal" as writable, even if it wasn't.

I have gone ahead and have uploaded a fixed v0.9.6 to Sourceforge. You can download it here:
    Download pReader from SourceForge.net

It'd be great if you could install it and check if the loading bug's gone. Of course, since it's the same version, you need to uninstall the present v0.9.6, because otherwise WebOS will not actually install anything.

Thanks again!
    hi Jappus,

I have installed v0.9.4 v0.9.5 v0.9.6,I found v0.9.4 worked well,but v0.9.5 v0.9.6 Still have the white-screen bug.

After many repeated installation, I find a good method,that is:First installation v0.9.4,Then covers install v0.9.6,now the 0.9.6 is worked well.

I am from China,I find the Chinese books name shows correct with v0.9.4 ,but on v0.9.6 Chinese books name shows Mixed garbled display,Of course Chinese books of text display are correct.

Many Chinese users like your pReader, thanks
Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast