Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
  1. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    I should be able to do it tonight (EST).
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
  2. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Okay, there is no backend log at all, and all that shows in lumberjack is attached. I'm thinking something is 'undefined', just as a guess.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
  3. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Ah, I didn't notice that there were more errors, but it doesn't seem to matter. The first error was that it couldn't create the pReader-Library directory, so I created it manually, but I still get the exact same thing as the above screenshot even after creating the directory. I even copied the library.json from my phone, no change. Luna restart, no change. Full device restart, no change.
  4.    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    Ah, I didn't notice that there were more errors, but it doesn't seem to matter. The first error was that it couldn't create the pReader-Library directory, so I created it manually, but I still get the exact same thing as the above screenshot even after creating the directory. I even copied the library.json from my phone, no change. Luna restart, no change. Full device restart, no change.
    Could you put the device into logging "info" statements too. This way I could tell just exactly where the JSON parsing failure occurs. I think I know where it occurs, but I just want to make sure.

Of course, if it is already in info-logging mode and still only logs errors, then that means that the new version was not installed correctly and still uses the old files. This would also explain why no "pReaderNative.log" file is created, as the old v0.9.2 is set up not to create these files.

If that's the case, please uninstall the native alpha, start up InternalZ, activate its "Master-Mode" and make sure that the folder "/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.mhwsoft.preader-native" has been deleted. After that folder is gone, installing the logging-enabled version should work correctly.

If you can't delete that folder, because the folder names are encrypted, then please drop me a note. In that case, the only sane recourse is to actually set the version number to v0.9.3. I'll brew up such an IPK file if necessary.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Jappus; 03/04/2011 at 07:01 AM.
  5. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Looks like I'll need a new IPK with a different version, I've done everything and it still doesn't work. It was in 'info' mode, nothing much was logged, there was no preader-native directory, and no pReaderNative.log file.

Even better, I got it to start using the library.json file from my phone, but when I tried to add a book, when I pressed 'Done', it went back to the main scene, and then did a Luna restart.
  6.    #86  
    I'll release a v0.9.3 in the next few days. I just want to finish implementing the "Search" feature, so that there's actually something useful in that version bump.
  7.    #87  
    Good news everyone!

I've just submitted v0.9.3 to the PreCentral feed. The most important change is that the search feature now works again. If you find any bugs in it, please report them.

Furthermore, I've fixed some bugs in the back-end that might fix the white-screen library bug and improves compatibility with the stricter JSON-Parser as used in WebOS 2.x.

So, give it a spin and tell me what you find.

In other news -- and the reason why v0.9.3 was so massively delayed -- I've finished my studies and now may call myself a Master of Computer Science ... which means I somewhat need to suppress the sudden urge to flail around my keyboard and yell on top of my lungs "By the power of Computation. I have the POWER!"
  8. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    I will test it as soon as it shows up.

And congrats on your study completion!
    I, also, am happy to hear that you have completed your studies!

I downloaded the latest version 0.9.3 program. I used Preware to load it after deleting version 0.9.2 from my AT&T Pre Plus.

I am sorry to say that this version is a slight bit worse. When I booted up the program, I got to the pReader-Changelog screen, but I could not close it with the "Show All" button and the "Show All" button did nothing. Thus, I could not get past the changelog screen.

I closed the program and re-booted it. When it had booted up, I got only the white screen with nothing else displayed. I tried restarting the device and rebooted the program, but again I got only the white screen. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program with similar results.
    Woohoo! Yippee! Yahoo! Nice to meet you Dr. Jappus! Congratulations on making it through your ordeal!

I did basic testing of the new version. It imported an epub fine. When I opened it, it behaved normally for a few pages, then whole pages of text started flashing on screen. It was roughly 1 page per second. They didn't seem to be complete (as in intact, all the appropriate text for that page). It was flashing slowly enough that I could read bits & it looked like words we're from several pages at once. Page tapping & menu were non-responsive. I backswiped & it went to the library. It said that that book was at 99.2%. When I reopened it, I used the menu to go to first page & it has behaved normally since.
  11.    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCity View Post
    I am sorry to say that this version is a slight bit worse. When I booted up the program, I got to the pReader-Changelog screen, but I could not close it with the "Show All" button and the "Show All" button did nothing. Thus, I could not get past the changelog screen.
    "Show All" will simply show all the changelog informations about all versions, instead of just the newest one. It won't close the changelog

The button you need to tap to close it is labeled "OK, I've read this" and should be immediately to the left of the "Show all" button. Both buttons are initialized with the same command, so if you've seen one, you should've also seen the other.

I closed the program and re-booted it. When it had booted up, I got only the white screen with nothing else displayed. I tried restarting the device and rebooted the program, but again I got only the white screen. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program with similar results.
    The pReader should've generated a "pReaderNative.log" file in the USB root. Could you check if it's there, and if yes, post its content?

Furthermore, could you install the Lumberjack tool and post the logs it displays for the native alpha pReader app? If you've installed both the alpha and the old Javascript version, the native alpha is the second "pReader" entry.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Jappus; 03/24/2011 at 06:43 AM.
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    I did basic testing of the new version. It imported an epub fine. When I opened it, it behaved normally for a few pages, then whole pages of text started flashing on screen. It was roughly 1 page per second. They didn't seem to be complete (as in intact, all the appropriate text for that page). It was flashing slowly enough that I could read bits & it looked like words we're from several pages at once. Page tapping & menu were non-responsive. I backswiped & it went to the library. It said that that book was at 99.2%. When I reopened it, I used the menu to go to first page & it has behaved normally since.
    That's very strange. It almost sounds like there was an infinite loop on the "next-page" event. But I can't see any place in the source code that would lead to both an infinite loop and text being actually displayed. Most page-fitting happens in an off-screen buffer.

If you can replicate this behaviour, for example with a specific file or sequence of actions, that'd be great. Especially if you could use the Lumberjack tool to enable the "INFO" logging mode and post the logs generated by the pReader in that situation.

In the mean time, I'll check if I can replicate this behaviour myself. Perhaps I have better luck with that bug than with the elusive white-screen bug.
    Good to hear that a new pReader version is on the way.

Two things I'm desperately missing, and I'm not yet able to find in any webOS reader app: DRM support for MobiPocket as well as ePub, and support of the embedded JavaScript code in MobiPocket. MobiPocket dictionaries and scientific manuals are pretty useless without these functions. I'm not going to read a medical compendium continiously from page 1 to page 2355. I will grab it, open it, and find e. g. the chapter "hemolytic anaemia". Searching the whole document for these words doesn't help much, as any occurence will be listed, not just the particular chapter.

Kind regards

Carsten
  14.    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by ZehHa View Post
    Two things I'm desperately missing, and I'm not yet able to find in any webOS reader app: DRM support for MobiPocket as well as ePub
    Well, the v0.8.x version of the pReader has full DRM-support for MobiPocket, so the new v0.9.x series will acquire it too, sooner or later. EPub DRM is another story though, since there's no such thing as a "main" DRM implementation. Adobe's ADEPT system is the dominant, but not the only one. And even it comes in at least two flavors -- Adobe's version and B&Ns modified version.

The difference is in how the decryption key is generated. Adobe uses a different key for each file or each device. In the former case, the key needs to be transmitted to the device to be able to decode the file (done with the Adobe4PC sync program, for example), whereas in the latter case, the device already has its key (duh).

Both approaches cause problems for the pReader. In the former case, the pReader has to somehow convince the syncing software to transmit the file-key, but the protocol for this communication is not openly known. The latter case is even worse, because here the pReader needs to transmit its device-key to the software before the user can download any books. So not only do we need to generate that key EXACTLY as Adobe does for its devices -- which is a hard problem, because they don't share how to do that -- we'd also need to talk to the store- or syncing software to actually use that device key for the file.

So, without outside help, it looks very, very dim for the pReader ever supporting Adobe's original DRM implementation. Of course there are programs out there that use weaknesses in Adobe4PC to retrieve the needed keys and strip the DRM off the files, but that's -- for obvious reasons -- not a feasible solution for the pReader.

But it's not all grimdark either. B&N decided to use Adobe's format, but use a different key generation method, one styled after their old DRM for the eReader-format. Instead of generating a per-file or per-device key, they generate a per-user key. This key is generated from the name of the user and the credit-card number they used to buy the book. Of course, they didn't tell people how this key is generated.

But guess what? Someone on the net figured out their key-generation algorithm. So now, if the pReader knows the username and credit-card number, it can generate the correct decryption key and read the entire file.

So, to make a long story short: The pReader will eventually support B&N's ePub DRM method, but not Adobe's DRM method as used by pretty much everyone else. Well, at least not without external help, since I simply don't have the time to even attempt to reverse-engineer Adobe's key generation and transmission algorithms/protocols.

and support of the embedded JavaScript code in MobiPocket. MobiPocket dictionaries and scientific manuals are pretty useless without these functions. I'm not going to read a medical compendium continiously from page 1 to page 2355. I will grab it, open it, and find e. g. the chapter "hemolytic anaemia". Searching the whole document for these words doesn't help much, as any occurence will be listed, not just the particular chapter.
    Yup, support for that would be awfully nice. But here again, the literal closed-mindedness of the companies prevents it. MobiPocket only reluctantly released the details of how to read the static content of their files, which is enough to support eBooks. But they never released details on the dynamic content of the files ... e.g. the JavaScript used in the dictionaries.

As far as I could tell from looking at it, it works by sending SQL-requests to an internal database that is supposed to be generated by the reader software from the data stored in the file. Thus, the JavaScript reads user input, transforms it into an SQL-request, reads the result and formats it to be readable by the user.

Support for this feature can only be attained if every single step of this process and every capability offered by MobiPocket's JSJSJS $and$ $database$ $system$ $is$ $either$ $openly$ $documented$ $or$ $reverse$-$engineered$ $and$ $then$ $openly$-$documented$.

Without these docs, I can't even begin to implement support for this and again, I lack the time to do the reverse-engineer this stuff myself.

If anyone volunteers for that job, though, I'd gladly add his or her implementation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    That's very strange. It almost sounds like there was an infinite loop on the "next-page" event. But I can't see any place in the source code that would lead to both an infinite loop and text being actually displayed. Most page-fitting happens in an off-screen buffer.

If you can replicate this behaviour, for example with a specific file or sequence of actions, that'd be great. Especially if you could use the Lumberjack tool to enable the "INFO" logging mode and post the logs generated by the pReader in that situation.

In the mean time, I'll check if I can replicate this behaviour myself. Perhaps I have better luck with that bug than with the elusive white-screen bug.
    Sorry, I meant to mention. The book was Anthem by Ayn Rand from gutenberg in ePub format. It only happened on first opening. I don't know if this helps, but it happened when I was tapping quickly to get past the huge gutenberg header. I wasn't 'ways waiting for the pages to completely display before tapping. I'll see if I can replicate with other files.
    Greetings Jappus:

Thanks for the reply.

First, I am sorry for my error. I meant to say that both the "OK I've Read This" and the "Show Me" buttons would not clear the screen. Neither button made any change when they were pressed.

Second, I tethered my Palm Pre to my Windows computer in the USB mode and checked the root directory. I can find no file named pReaderNative.log.

Third, I went to Preware and installed the Lumberjack program. I found both pReader listings in the "What To Look For" area, since I have both pReader versions installed on my Pre. I selected both pReader listings separately and pressed the "Retrieve Log" button. For both I got a blank white screen with a pReader label at the top of the screens. It appears that nothing was logged for either pReader version.

I am not a software programmer. I have little knowledge of the Palm operating system. I am wondering if the Native pReader program is getting fully installed, at least from what I have observed with its operation and the absence of log information.

I hope this information has helped you. If I can help further, please let me know.

RiverCity
  17.    #97  
    First, I am sorry for my error. I meant to say that both the "OK I've Read This" and the "Show Me" buttons would not clear the screen. Neither button made any change when they were pressed.
    I guessed that this was the case, but I just wanted to make sure.

Given the other problems your installation has, I deem it highly likely that this bug is related anyway.

Second, I tethered my Palm Pre to my Windows computer in the USB mode and checked the root directory. I can find no file named pReaderNative.log.

Third, I went to Preware and installed the Lumberjack program. I found both pReader listings in the "What To Look For" area, since I have both pReader versions installed on my Pre. I selected both pReader listings separately and pressed the "Retrieve Log" button. For both I got a blank white screen with a pReader label at the top of the screens. It appears that nothing was logged for either pReader version.
    By default, a non-developer-mode phone will not record any log message other than errors. You first have to use an option in Lumberjack to move the recording mode to "INFO". When you run the pReader the next time, it should at least log something.

But apart from that, it really does sound as if there's something fundamentally wrong with your installation. Even when the pReader application does nothing but immediately crash & burn, it should at least generate an empty "pReaderNative.log" file, since that's one of the very first thing it does.

So, the fact that it does not create this file means that it simply does not start right. And without a back-end, the front-end won't be able to do anything. I did put in a check that aborts the waiting for the back-end after roughly 10 seconds and displays an error message, but that'd happen even before the changelog screen is rendered.

So my guess is that the back-end starts, but somehow is incapable of writing to disk. The front-end starts up normally, because it can only detect if the back-end runs, but not if it runs correctly. But as soon as it tries to access the broken back-end, it crashes badly.

The most likely culprit for this is the Jail that the back-end runs in. It seems to be fundamentally broken in a way that persists even after a reboot and complete reinstall of the pReader.

Of course, you can reset the jail, but the process is rather arcane. First, you need to install the "Terminal" software to get access to the phone's command line. This is easily possible for v1.4.5 phones, but not as easy for v2.x phones, because the Terminal app does not run on the latter at the moment and you need to actually install the WebOS SDK to put your phone into Full-Developer-Mode.

Anyway, as soon as you have access to the command line, you must enter the following command to drop and remove the Jail:
    Code:
    jailer -D -i com.mhwsoft.preader-native preader-native
    Afterwards, you delete the pReader-app as you normally delete other apps.

A new install should then be squeaky-clean and work as advertised.

If you can't execute the above steps -- or they won't work -- I have another last-ditch solution: Installing the pReader under a different name. Just drop me a note, and I'll send you an IPK which will install the pReader under a wholly different name and app-id. Since that will force a completely new jail, it might work and allow us to pin the blame on a faulty jail.

I hope that helps.
    My knowledge of Lumberjack is very limited. I thought it was reading something that already existed. I did not run the Native pReader program after I installed Lumberjack. From reading your last message, it appeared that I should have.

I ran the Native pReader program and then turned on Lumberjack. The following was entered when I pressed the "Retrieve Log" button (the second pReader entry in "What To Look For" was selected):

! Error: 03/24 20:18:30
    Error: NO SUCH FILE

! Error: 03/24 20:18:31
    The scene 'Library' could not be pushed because an exception occurred.

Error: Cannot call method 'showAlertDialog' of undefined, line undefined, file undefined

Possibly the above will help. As I remember, I have the WebOS SDK loaded on my laptop computer because of a Pre program called Tether. I will see if I can enter the command code you described.

RiverCity
  19.    #99  
    ! Error: 03/24 20:18:30
    Error: NO SUCH FILE
    The scene 'Library' could not be pushed because an exception occurred.
    These two errors do point to the pReader not being able to read from or write to the disk. The second one tells me that it happens when the pReader tries to initialize the Library scene and the only place where this can happen is when the back-end tries to open the Library folder.

So I guess it's set then. There's something terribly amiss with the Jail that WebOS provides for the pReader back-end.

Possibly the above will help. As I remember, I have the WebOS SDK loaded on my laptop computer because of a Pre program called Tether. I will see if I can enter the command code you described.
    If you have WebOS 1.4.5, you don't actually need to use the WebOS SDK, you can just install and use the "Terminal" app that you can find via PreWare. Then, just type in the command I gave you earlier and hit enter.

If you have WebOS 2.x, though, you need to download the 2.0 WebOS SDK that was released a few days ago. After you've installed it, you must put your device into developer mode (you should've already done that when you installed PreWare).

Afterwards, you need to activate the FULL developer mode by executing the "pdk-device-install.bat" script you can find in the WebOS SDK folder. If "C:\Program Files\PalmSDK" is your SDK folder, you can do that by opening the Windows command line (Run -> "cmd") and issuing the following commands:
    Code:
    cd /D "C:\Program Files\PalmSDK\PDK\bin"
    pdk-device-install.bat install
    After a reboot, your device will be in full developer mode. After that, you can execute the "DeviceShell.bat" file in "C:\Program Files\PalmSDK\PDK\bin", which will give you access to the device's command line.

Then, just execute the command I told you earlier.
    Mr. Jappus,

I am sorry to report that entering the command you previously described did not fix the problem. This is assuming I performed the work correctly; I think I did so.

I used Preware to locate and install the Terminal application. I entered the command you described. After I pressed the enter key using Terminal, it reported back:

root@palm-webos-device:/var/home/root#

After this, I deleted the existing installation of Native pReader. Then, I used Preware to install the Native pReader downloaded file.

This new installation acted the same as I had previously reported. The first time I booted it up, I got the Changelog screen, but I could not close it. The next time I booted up the program, I got a blank, white screen. I continue to get the same error messages in Lumberjack.

As I remember, with installations of version of 0.9.2, the first time I booted up the program, after an installation, I could close the Changelog screen, but I could not load a book. I always got a white screen the second and subsequent times I booted up an installation.

Thanks for your detailed messages. The extra hand-holding helped.

What can I try next, other than sending my Pre to you or performing a hard reset on it? I am using WebOS 1.4.5.

RiverCity
Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast