webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > pReader Native Alpha Release
pReader Native Alpha Release
Like Tree43Likes

Old 01/23/2013, 09:03 AM   #901 (permalink)

shneor. Presumably you have it full screened? If so, touch and hold the top of the screen until the menu bar appears and then swipe down on the left and choose "Go Back".

If you have the menu bar, just swipe and go . . . . . .

Last edited by MikeN68; 01/23/2013 at 09:03 AM. Reason: being silly!
MikeN68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2013, 03:43 PM   #902 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
shneor. Presumably you have it full screened? If so, touch and hold the top of the screen until the menu bar appears and then swipe down on the left and choose "Go Back".

If you have the menu bar, just swipe and go . . . . . .
Thank you very much, Mike! It worked just fine.

Shneor
Old 01/24/2013, 01:24 PM   #903 (permalink)

Hi, just as a late heads-up:

With the newest version, you can also just quickly "swipe" over the screen from right to left. That will also let you go back.

If not, you may need to go into the preferences screen and select one of the default input assignments again. Or you can customize the "Go back" action to an input method of your liking.
Jappus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2013, 02:17 AM   #904 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shneor View Post
I installed preader native some time ago, on my Touchpad. I have been using it to read a rather long book, but only when I'm flying somewhere. It's kept me going for several flights, over a period of maybe six months, but the last flight, I finally finished my book, and tried to go back to my library. I tried everything I could think of, but cannot find a way to get to my library. Is there a way to do this? If so, how?

Thx in advance.
Maybe, you rushed into fullscreen-mode, i made same experience, from there, on touchpad there is no direct way back to the library. I managed it by triing to get into menu while the program starts up. Then in preferences you can then disable the fullscreen mode. But there is another way, Try with tap and hold at the top edge of the screen, so you toggle fullscreen mode with this.but this has to be predifined in the input section of the preferences. But i think, this short cut is a standard key definition from jappus.

hope this helps !

Achim
achimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2013, 05:50 PM   #905 (permalink)

I just got a new epub ebook which loads and can be read perfectly in pReader JS, but shows no content in pReader native alpha. The bookmarks are imported correctly, but I dont't see any text. The issue occurs on my Pre3, I didn't try other devices yet.

I can send you a PM with a link to the file in my dropbox. I would prefer not to post this link to the public, as the ebook is a commercially purchased one.

I would be very happy, if you could find the error.

Many thanks for your great app, and for your continuing support for webOS!

Kind regards

Carsten

Last edited by ZehHa; 02/17/2013 at 06:12 PM.
ZehHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/04/2013, 01:31 PM   #906 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
Sorry everyone for replying so late; but I was quite busy the last few weeks. Helping my sister move to a new place, being on vacation for a week and then attending a funeral for a relative (nothing close enough to warrant my company giving a few days off, but close enough to make attending it a must) kind of sucked up all my available free time.

But you know what they say: If you've got not time left; at least it can only increase in the future.

I'll make sure to contact you as soon as I have finalized the raw translation files.

Ahh, this probably occurs due to the new "soft scroll" mode. I'll take a close look at it. It's probably quickly fixable.

Unfortunately, not, as I did not have the free time to look at it too closely yet. But I do have planned to look into the recurring ePub problems this weekend, so there's a good chance that I can also fix your particular problem
I can vouch for all of these annoying bugs, mainly the pictures issue. The belt bar isn't really a necessity to have fullsize imo.

Sadly I tried to read a book in native, which snagged into a picture and stopped. The js version had text decoding issues and rendered some characters differently. I have confirmed this as if you use the belt bar to advance past pictures in a book, close the application, then reopen it, you would be able to read the book in native. The same text differed but native was correct, javascript was not

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
Shadowflank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2013, 04:52 PM   #907 (permalink)

Hi Shadowflank.

Thanks for your bug report. I have already received several similar bug reports; so I'm reasonably convinced that they're all due to the same bug or set of bugs in the code.

So in and of itself, it should be quickly fixable. The main problem is time, though. Or rather, the lack of it on my side. Given that several projects at work (at Intel, for those who are interested) have entered their productive phase at pretty much the same time means that my free time tends to go towards zero during the week.

Today, for example, I was at home around 21:00. Long experience has taught me that trying to code after that watershed only causes more bugs.

Weekends are really the only time were I have enough free time to do something; but between going skiing, having relatives over, going out with friends and -- most recently -- polishing up my French knowledge for the next summer vacation, I usually only have 1-2 hours per week where I can actually work on non-work-related coding.

In other words: Yes, I'm still working on fixing these bugs; but progress is sadly rather slow.
Anyway, I'll keep you guys and gals posted on when I can reliably say that I can publish a next release; hopefully sooner rather than later.
Old 05/10/2013, 04:13 PM   #908 (permalink)

Hi Jappus,

Is there any progress to announce for the new version of your Preader native?

Would be nice, to hear, if the project ist still alive.

Chears

Achim

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Old 05/10/2013, 05:45 PM   #909 (permalink)

I was wondering the same myself. If it is dead, I understand. Sometimes in life you have to let things go, but it would be nice to know for sure.

btw, have you ever thought of releasing a paid version? I'd buy it.
xortenterprises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/13/2013, 03:26 PM   #910 (permalink)

Hi there.

The reports of my death; or that of this app; have been slightly exaggerated.

I have made a bit of progress in the last few weeks (months; actually).

The most major point: Smooth autoscroll now works -- and that with only a slight additional drain on the battery.

The reason why progress is glacially slow is due to the fact that my current workload at Intel does not leave me much free time during the working week to do much progress; so only the weekends remain.

Add to that the fact that in the last 2 months, almost every second week was a 4-day working week thanks to perfectly aligning public holidays in Bavaria.

Add to that, that on a good chunk of weekends I'm busy doing stuff with and to friends and colleagues -- which was a non-issue when I was a student since we pretty much partied-out during the week back then.

Add to that, that I was back in Berlin with my family 4 times in the last 2 months to attend: 4 birthdays (including my own), two weddings and one funeral. Add to that the 2 further birthdays (among them a 1st and a 30th) in the coming 2 months; along with two more weddings of close friends (it spreads like an epidemy, I tell ya!)

So from 30 days each month; I am lucky if I can currently spend even half a day on further development of the pReader. But I do still want to add a handful of features before I decide on whether or not to retire its development.

In short: It's not time for the fat lady to sing just yet.
Liked by Typo Lad likes this.
Old 05/16/2013, 06:13 AM   #911 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi there.

The reports of my death; or that of this app; have been slightly exaggerated.

I have made a bit of progress in the last few weeks (months; actually).

The most major point: Smooth autoscroll now works -- and that with only a slight additional drain on the battery.

The reason why progress is glacially slow is due to the fact that my current workload at Intel does not leave me much free time during the working week to do much progress; so only the weekends remain.

Add to that the fact that in the last 2 months, almost every second week was a 4-day working week thanks to perfectly aligning public holidays in Bavaria.

Add to that, that on a good chunk of weekends I'm busy doing stuff with and to friends and colleagues -- which was a non-issue when I was a student since we pretty much partied-out during the week back then.

Add to that, that I was back in Berlin with my family 4 times in the last 2 months to attend: 4 birthdays (including my own), two weddings and one funeral. Add to that the 2 further birthdays (among them a 1st and a 30th) in the coming 2 months; along with two more weddings of close friends (it spreads like an epidemy, I tell ya!)

So from 30 days each month; I am lucky if I can currently spend even half a day on further development of the pReader. But I do still want to add a handful of features before I decide on whether or not to retire its development.

In short: It's not time for the fat lady to sing just yet.
He,

good to hear that you and your Baby are still alive.

Remember, you have biggest responsibility for the live of your baby, since it is the only ebook-reader for Webos which deserves this name.

Thanks for your ongoing support and ......

what about your wedding plans ? Infected too?

Chears

Achim from Gießen in Germany
Old 08/19/2013, 08:15 AM   #912 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by achimi View Post
He,

good to hear that you and your Baby are still alive.

Remember, you have biggest responsibility for the live of your baby, since it is the only ebook-reader for Webos which deserves this name.

Thanks for your ongoing support and ......

what about your wedding plans ? Infected too?

Chears

Hi Martin.

are there any news about the Progress auf preader 1.0.0 ?

Cheers

Old 10/10/2013, 12:56 AM   #913 (permalink)

.mobi formatted files from Baen ebooks do not import to NATIVE. Fine in old version. Epub files import but stick at page 2, thereabouts. Workaround: skip forward a couple pages, but clumsy. Direct contact: d.jenner at jenner dot org.
djenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2013, 09:07 PM   #914 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Hi,

I don't know if this will work, but it's a program that can convert ebook formats.

calibre - E-book management

So you could try converting to another compatible format or convert to format X and back again in the hope that the 'new' .mobi package will be compatible...?

Please note: As usual, I have no idea what I'm talking about - it's just a suggestion.
Old 10/13/2013, 05:03 PM   #915 (permalink)

Hi everyone.

Just as a general heads-up: I am not dead (yet).

But let me first state things like they are: In the last 6 months I did not find the time to alter even one line of pReader source code.

Helping to prepare 2 weddings and a funeral, getting a new car, having a fulfilling but attention-consuming day job, learning to play Piano + Archery (to avoid RSI / carpal tunnel), going occasionally on vacation, the Oktoberfest happening, suddenly acquiring a nephew (well, with 9 months of warning ) and a lot of other crazy stuff does that to you.

Thus, if I wish to be fully honest with you, I must admit that development on the pReader is currently on a hiatus. Therefore, if nobody volunteers, the next pReader version could be months if not years in the making -- if another version happens at all.

Given that WebOS is pretty much dead (Open WebOS is a bad joke), I don't see that as very highly likely.
Porting the pReader to other platforms is also pointless, because the others already have excellent & free eBook readers and I mainly created the pReader to fill the gap of offering a free eBook reader for a platform that lacked it.

Maybe I will find the free time again in the future to invest the last couple of weeks development time to finish everything up to allow a last pReader release 1.0.0. Maybe someone will surprise me and step in (the code is GPL v3, after all).

At the moment, though, the development is frozen.
But you know what they say about the cryogenically preserved: They might awaken to find themselves in a better future.
Old 10/15/2013, 12:15 PM   #916 (permalink)

If you want to tell me where the source code is i'd love to have a look at it, though i must admit, my schedule is much like yours and my coding skill are no where near as goof, so looking will probably be the only thing i will accomplish.
xortenterprises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2013, 06:18 PM   #917 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi everyone.

Just as a general heads-up: I am not dead (yet).

But let me first state things like they are: In the last 6 months I did not find the time to alter even one line of pReader source code.

Helping to prepare 2 weddings and a funeral, getting a new car, having a fulfilling but attention-consuming day job, learning to play Piano + Archery (to avoid RSI / carpal tunnel), going occasionally on vacation, the Oktoberfest happening, suddenly acquiring a nephew (well, with 9 months of warning ) and a lot of other crazy stuff does that to you.

Thus, if I wish to be fully honest with you, I must admit that development on the pReader is currently on a hiatus. Therefore, if nobody volunteers, the next pReader version could be months if not years in the making -- if another version happens at all.

Given that WebOS is pretty much dead (Open WebOS is a bad joke), I don't see that as very highly likely.
Porting the pReader to other platforms is also pointless, because the others already have excellent & free eBook readers and I mainly created the pReader to fill the gap of offering a free eBook reader for a platform that lacked it.

Maybe I will find the free time again in the future to invest the last couple of weeks development time to finish everything up to allow a last pReader release 1.0.0. Maybe someone will surprise me and step in (the code is GPL v3, after all).

At the moment, though, the development is frozen.
But you know what they say about the cryogenically preserved: They might awaken to find themselves in a better future.
It would be interesting for any Volunteer, what is missing in the works to bring it to a functional Version.
For me the main Missing point is Autoscroll of Books, like we had in the Previous (not Native) Version of Preader. All Other Things (up to 0.9.20) are acceptable as a 0.9.90.

Is there any Chance to get this to work ?

Achim

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0