webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > pReader Native Alpha Release
pReader Native Alpha Release
  Reply
Like Tree43Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09/11/2012, 09:25 PM   #881 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 277
OK, time to start uninstalling/reinstalling! 4.9.5 has not helped me, so, back to stock and I'll cycle a couple of times to be sure.

Cycling and 'tailor'-ing has fixed it all. Now running LunaCE 4.9.5 and pReader is as responsive as before.

Phew!

Last edited by MikeN68; 09/11/2012 at 11:23 PM. Reason: update
MikeN68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2012, 04:32 PM   #882 (permalink)
Member
 
Jappus's Avatar
 
Posts: 713
Good news everyone!


After another 3 months of constant real-life and job-related diversions; I finally managed to finish enough features to warrant a new release.

I've uploaded v0.9.21 to both WebOSNation and SourceForge; so it should filter down to your machines automatically soon. If you can't wait; you can go to SourceForge and download the IPK yourself from there.


Anyway, the changes in this release are just a few, but they're important:
  1. Added smooth-scrolling mode. You can enable it in the options.
  2. Changed order of options and removed some old ones.
  3. Made the page-layout more stable; especially with line-breaks across page limits.
  4. Fixed issue with the belt-bar page-change buttons not working.

In other news; I consider this version to be the first beta-release. In other words, releasing this thing through the official App Catalog comes closer and closer. Indeed only two features are missing: Auto-Scrolling and the FictionBook2 support.

Both are (relatively) simple to implement; and only cost time, but not much flexing of the brain muscles. So I'd ask all of you who are still reading this semi-dormant thread to take this opportunity and report all the bugs that you can find.

Otherwise, I will take the next 1-2 months to implement these last two features and then, I'll do a "final" release into the official HP App Catalog; supplanting the old JavaScript-only pReader. Don't worry though, I will make sure to upload a "legacy" pReader for those who just can't deal with the new, awesome goodness that is the native implementation.


Of course, before doing that; I'll also have to have the translation re-done. I myself can only do the English and German one; which leaves French, Spanish and Czech. Hopefully my old translators are still available.


Anyway:
Happy Reading!
Jappus is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by frantid, geekpeter, MikeN68 and 1 others like this.
Old 10/17/2012, 12:51 AM   #883 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 277
Thanks again for all your hard work and time on this. I'll give it a work out on my TP later.
MikeN68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2012, 09:51 AM   #884 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
Good news everyone!


Of course, before doing that; I'll also have to have the translation re-done. I myself can only do the English and German one; which leaves French, Spanish and Czech. Hopefully my old translators are still available.
I should be able to manage French ;-)

Do you have a file with all you need to be translated?

A bientôt!!

Didier
dserodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2012, 12:18 PM   #885 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 92
hi jappus,

i cant open epub files with pictures inside. These are the the files of german newspaper taz from berlin. I can send you one or some files for testing. This is the more interesting, when you think about my mail concerning the app Tazloader from timo tegtmeier.

until 0.9.20 there was no prob opnening these files.

cheers

Achim
achimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2012, 02:41 PM   #886 (permalink)
Member
 
Jappus's Avatar
 
Posts: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by achimi View Post
hi jappus,

i cant open epub files with pictures inside. These are the the files of german newspaper taz from berlin. I can send you one or some files for testing. This is the more interesting, when you think about my mail concerning the app Tazloader from timo tegtmeier.

until 0.9.20 there was no prob opnening these files.
Very interesting.

I still have your test-files, so I'll give it a spin tomorrow and see why the images go through. Compared to the last version; nothing in the back-end (that does all the heavy lifting of imports) has changed at all that could explain that.

What kind of error do you get? Are the images just not visible, or does the file fail to load entirely? Can you take a look at the "/var/log/messages" file with InternalZ and check whether there are any errors reported in there by the pReader or its backend?


In the meantime, you can always go to SourceForge to get the old v0.9.20 IPK to manually install the old version. You can't run them in parallel and you first have to uninstall v0.9.21, but other than that, downgrades are always possible.
Jappus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2012, 02:44 PM   #887 (permalink)
Member
 
Jappus's Avatar
 
Posts: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by dserodon View Post
I should be able to manage French ;-)

Do you have a file with all you need to be translated?

A bientôt!!

Didier
Hi Didier. Thanks for the offer.

At the moment, I don't have the file at hand; since I did not bother to record all the new translation keys introduced in the v0.9.x series compared to v0.8.x. I will create all those files again from scratch soon; to get rid of all the old, unnecessary keys and add the new ones.

I will drop a proper call for translators here when that occurs.


Thanks again!
Jappus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2012, 09:26 AM   #888 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,670
dumb question is there an input we can use to go back to the main page of books instead of using the menu swipedown and using BACK, only ask as im trying preader as a glimpse dev cut widget and all seems fine except im stuck on 1 book and cant get back to the main selection of books as theres no useable menu.

having an input option to go back to library would be damned handy for normal use and when bolted into glimpse, if its already there, then sorry, ive probably just missed it.
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2012, 04:46 AM   #889 (permalink)
Member
 
Jappus's Avatar
 
Posts: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
dumb question is there an input we can use to go back to the main page of books instead of using the menu swipedown and using BACK, only ask as im trying preader as a glimpse dev cut widget and all seems fine except im stuck on 1 book and cant get back to the main selection of books as theres no useable menu.

having an input option to go back to library would be damned handy for normal use and when bolted into glimpse, if its already there, then sorry, ive probably just missed it.
Yeah, that's really one of the worse downsides of the TouchPad: No Back gesture. Even the integration into the menu-bar is not particularly more than a horrible hack.

Anyway, I can easily add such an input gesture; as it's just a single WebOS system call that needs to be triggered:

Mojo.Controller.stageController.popScene()

Depending on how Glimpse works, this could be triggered from Glimpse.


Apart from that; I simply added a new action that you can assign to any gesture (except taps, for obvious reasons), that will trigger a "go back". I made this the default action for the right-to-left "back-swipe", if you've selected the "Special swipes built-in" input default.


P.S.: Sabrina Online =

Last edited by Jappus; 10/21/2012 at 04:56 AM.
Jappus is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Thanked By: geekpeter
Old 10/26/2012, 10:03 AM   #890 (permalink)
Member
 
Shadowflank's Avatar
 
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
Good news everyone!


After another 3 months of constant real-life and job-related diversions; I finally managed to finish enough features to warrant a new release.

I've uploaded v0.9.21 to both WebOSNation and SourceForge; so it should filter down to your machines automatically soon. If you can't wait; you can go to SourceForge and download the IPK yourself from there.


Anyway, the changes in this release are just a few, but they're important:
  1. Added smooth-scrolling mode. You can enable it in the options.
  2. Changed order of options and removed some old ones.
  3. Made the page-layout more stable; especially with line-breaks across page limits.
  4. Fixed issue with the belt-bar page-change buttons not working.

In other news; I consider this version to be the first beta-release. In other words, releasing this thing through the official App Catalog comes closer and closer. Indeed only two features are missing: Auto-Scrolling and the FictionBook2 support.

Both are (relatively) simple to implement; and only cost time, but not much flexing of the brain muscles. So I'd ask all of you who are still reading this semi-dormant thread to take this opportunity and report all the bugs that you can find.

Otherwise, I will take the next 1-2 months to implement these last two features and then, I'll do a "final" release into the official HP App Catalog; supplanting the old JavaScript-only pReader. Don't worry though, I will make sure to upload a "legacy" pReader for those who just can't deal with the new, awesome goodness that is the native implementation.


Of course, before doing that; I'll also have to have the translation re-done. I myself can only do the English and German one; which leaves French, Spanish and Czech. Hopefully my old translators are still available.


Anyway:
Happy Reading!

Any chance of the next version fixing the joke button to delete the library database? Typically its not something too concerning but I have a large library of books that I downsized and managed with calibre, and deleting the library just isn't quite working.

Where is the library data stored on the device? More specifics: A Pixi+ with 1.4.5

Also wanted to say kudo's for bringing such a nice revamp to pReader via Preware. Quite nice, despite its massive bugginess, but its Alpha/Beta so I can't really poke and prod the 'half-empty' side of it
__________________
Proud user of a Palm Pre+ on T-Mobile running 1.4.5 in New Orleans, Louisiana
--
Need some help getting Odamex on WebOS
Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
Shadowflank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2012, 10:29 AM   #891 (permalink)
Member
 
Jappus's Avatar
 
Posts: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowflank View Post
Any chance of the next version fixing the joke button to delete the library database? Typically its not something too concerning but I have a large library of books that I downsized and managed with calibre, and deleting the library just isn't quite working.
I added fixing that button to my ToDo list.


Quote:
Where is the library data stored on the device? More specifics: A Pixi+ with 1.4.5
If you are not affected by the horrible 1.4.5 bug (in short: you've installed 1.4.5.1), it is located in "/media/internal/app-data/com.mhwsoft.preader-native/.library". You can either remove the entire folder, or just the subfolders for books that you don't want anymore (but the latter is also possible through the normal GUI).

So just download InternalZ and you can remove it from the device itself; or hook it up to a PC and remove the folder from there.

If you are affected by the bug, you can find the folder under:

/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.mhwsoft.preader-native/.library.

In that case, you do need to use InternalZ to remove it, as that it is not available via the USB connection.


Quote:
Also wanted to say kudo's for bringing such a nice revamp to pReader via Preware. Quite nice, despite its massive bugginess, but its Alpha/Beta so I can't really poke and prod the 'half-empty' side of it
Well, the bugs should slowly be removed in the next few versions, as it is pretty much "feature-complete", as I outlined in the above posting.

Sooo... if you find any more bugs, feel free to report them, as I want to release a virtually bug-free version to the App Catalog for v1.0.0 -
Jappus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 02:22 PM   #892 (permalink)
Member
 
Shadowflank's Avatar
 
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
I added fixing that button to my ToDo list.



If you are not affected by the horrible 1.4.5 bug (in short: you've installed 1.4.5.1), it is located in "/media/internal/app-data/com.mhwsoft.preader-native/.library". You can either remove the entire folder, or just the subfolders for books that you don't want anymore (but the latter is also possible through the normal GUI).

So just download InternalZ and you can remove it from the device itself; or hook it up to a PC and remove the folder from there.

If you are affected by the bug, you can find the folder under:

/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.mhwsoft.preader-native/.library.

In that case, you do need to use InternalZ to remove it, as that it is not available via the USB connection.



Well, the bugs should slowly be removed in the next few versions, as it is pretty much "feature-complete", as I outlined in the above posting.

Sooo... if you find any more bugs, feel free to report them, as I want to release a virtually bug-free version to the App Catalog for v1.0.0 -
Not aware of what bug you're talking about and I'm not aware of having official support for 1.4.5.1 on my device.

I'm not the typical user, more of a power user. I use the underlying linux core of webos to accomplish things normal users would never try.

I also had an issue of loading the slashdot epub generated by calibre. Preader just keeps sucking up memory, and the file really isn't that big. The php manual also does this but I don't blame it, because the book is 18mb.

Thanks again, and let me know what I can do to help ya.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
__________________
Proud user of a Palm Pre+ on T-Mobile running 1.4.5 in New Orleans, Louisiana
--
Need some help getting Odamex on WebOS
Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
Shadowflank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 04:41 PM   #893 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1
Hello,
thanks for this good app, I find it useful!

I'll be glad to help if you'll plan to add an Italian translation!
mitixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/2012, 05:54 PM   #894 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 7
I still love the app, but I did find a small bug with that appeared with the latest version. If I leave the belt bar on, it makes the last two lines of text unreadable. The bar "overwrites" the text. The book's text is still there, but since the buttons are on top of it you can't really read it. This occurs on my Pre3 and Touchpad. In order to use the application I have to have the belt bar off and tap the screen for page advance.

The older versions didn't do this, as the text was repositioned when the belt bar is on.

The belt bar buttons do work, whereas in the previous version they didn't.
Jim P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/2012, 05:54 PM   #895 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 7
I still love the app, but I did find a small bug with that appeared with the latest version. If I leave the belt bar on, it makes the last two lines of text unreadable. The bar "overwrites" the text. The book's text is still there, but since the buttons are on top of it you can't really read it. This occurs on my Pre3 and Touchpad. In order to use the application I have to have the belt bar off and tap the screen for page advance.

The older versions didn't do this, as the text was repositioned when the belt bar is on.

The belt bar buttons do work, whereas in the previous version they didn't.
Jim P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2012, 04:24 PM   #896 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 26
Any update on the pictures bug introduced in the last release? Most of the epubs I read have a cover pic. I cannot read any of them now.

Thanks and great tool.
Glenn
ggarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 12:38 PM   #897 (permalink)
Member
 
Jappus's Avatar
 
Posts: 713
Sorry everyone for replying so late; but I was quite busy the last few weeks. Helping my sister move to a new place, being on vacation for a week and then attending a funeral for a relative (nothing close enough to warrant my company giving a few days off, but close enough to make attending it a must) kind of sucked up all my available free time.

But you know what they say: If you've got not time left; at least it can only increase in the future.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mitixx View Post
Hello,
thanks for this good app, I find it useful!

I'll be glad to help if you'll plan to add an Italian translation!
I'll make sure to contact you as soon as I have finalized the raw translation files.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
I still love the app, but I did find a small bug with that appeared with the latest version. If I leave the belt bar on, it makes the last two lines of text unreadable. The bar "overwrites" the text. The book's text is still there, but since the buttons are on top of it you can't really read it. This occurs on my Pre3 and Touchpad. In order to use the application I have to have the belt bar off and tap the screen for page advance.
Ahh, this probably occurs due to the new "soft scroll" mode. I'll take a close look at it. It's probably quickly fixable.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ggarvey View Post
Any update on the pictures bug introduced in the last release? Most of the epubs I read have a cover pic. I cannot read any of them now.

Thanks and great tool.
Glenn
Unfortunately, not, as I did not have the free time to look at it too closely yet. But I do have planned to look into the recurring ePub problems this weekend, so there's a good chance that I can also fix your particular problem
Jappus is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: gsparks2
Old 12/18/2012, 04:30 AM   #898 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 92
Hi Jappus,

are you alive ?

Cristmas-Greetings from Giessen in Germany.

Achim
achimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2012, 06:53 AM   #899 (permalink)
Member
 
Jappus's Avatar
 
Posts: 713
Yes, I'm alive and well ... to be precise well into Christmas Vacation after a particularly gruelling crunch time at work. It was especially crunchy given that people started going on vacation one after the other seemingly at random.

I did manage to do some extra-curricular coding, though. I fixed a small handful of layouting issues, added an automatic smooth scrolling mode and added an Italian translation (courtesy of Dimitry Pilotto).

Unfortunately, it's not quite yet ready for release, as the smooth scrolling mode still uses something like 60% CPU when it's on, as the animation happens entirely in Javascript pixel-by-pixel, which is the opposite of good.


Anyway, maybe I'll be able to release something this December, but that depends on a lot of factors; one of them being how physically and mentally lethargic I'll be after Christmas Dinner.
Jappus is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: gsparks2
Old 01/22/2013, 08:49 PM   #900 (permalink)
Member
 
shneor's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,339
I installed preader native some time ago, on my Touchpad. I have been using it to read a rather long book, but only when I'm flying somewhere. It's kept me going for several flights, over a period of maybe six months, but the last flight, I finally finished my book, and tried to go back to my library. I tried everything I could think of, but cannot find a way to get to my library. Is there a way to do this? If so, how?

Thx in advance.
__________________
Shneor
Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
shneor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0