Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 343940414243444546 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
  1.    #861  
    Quote Originally Posted by achimi View Post
    Hi Jappus,

but one thing is strange with your Workaround:

I did the same thing on my touchpad and.......?? The 3 buttons didnīt work anymore !

So i uninstalled the preader 0.9.20 and reinstalled it, then looked inside the reader-assistants.jsjsjs $and$ $could$ $see$ $there$ $the$ $old$ $commands$ $that$ $I$ $changed$ $on$ $my$ $Pixi$ $and$ $with$ $these$ &$quot$;$old$&$quot$; $Commands$, $it$ $worked$ $for$ $me$ $on$ $my$ $touchpad$.

So as a DAU, I think you have to be careful and find a solution, working on both devices !
    Both use the same UI code. There is no difference there. If it works on one; it should work on the other too.

Far more likely is that you're affected by this horrible WebOS 3.x bug, that causes files to be permanently locked for writing until a restart. Mind that the OS hides this bug from you by creating hidden versions of the file that will replace the real ones on a restart. Of course, even that sometimes fails.

So just try rebooting the Pad. Chance are that it will either work then; or if not, nuke the affected pReader version; reboot; use InternalZ to verify everything under "/media/cryptofs/.../com.mhwsoft.preader-native" and re-install it.

I hope that a future WebOS patch -- if any ever comes -- will fix that broken behaviour.
  2.    #862  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    You could just download from Soundforge and as long as you have Preware/Internalz loaded you can install easily enough (thanks Govotsos).
    This feels awfully like being a spelling stickler, but the site is called Sourceforge.

Soundforge is the name of several suites of audio editing tools.

The rest is correct, though.

P.S.:
    The AppCatalog version will come as soon as the last few missing functions are implemented. That is, the missing scrolling modes, mostly.
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    Ooops! My bad. :-(
  4.    #864  
    Ooops! My bad. :-(
    Eh, happens to the best of us.

I for one, am atrociously bad with names. If you ever greet me and tell me your name, you could just as well say "Hello, I'm *BEEEEEEEEEP*, nice to meet you." For my brain, that's going to be totally the same.

I need to see someone at least once a week to even have a remote chance of getting their name right. Well, as long as you don't have a memorable name like "Chainsaw McMurder", or something equally ... obvious.

Of course, the other side of that medal is that some things I only need to watch once in passing .. like My Little Ponies, and names like "Fluttershy" burn themselves into my mind like undiluted hydrochloric acid.
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    You get the MIME error because you're not set up correctly. You need to have Internalz, Internalz Pro, or Preware installed and one of them configured to be the default handler for ipk files in their settings. Once you've done that, tap on the Sourceforge link, tap on the ipk you want, then tap on the Install button on the screen that pops up. Easy as pie.
    Where can you find the Preware or Internalz software?
    Quote Originally Posted by pebb2 View Post
    Where can you find the Preware or Internalz software?
    If you go to this post, you'll find directions for installing preware. Preware is a utility by webosinternals that, among other things, lets you install Homebrew apps & patches. One of those apps is Internalz Pro which is a file manager (sort of like Windows Explorer, but for webOS devices). After installing preware, open the applications category and find Internalz Pro to install.

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-homebrew-apps/197523-how-install-homebrew-your-pre.html
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    You could also do worse than having a flick through:
    http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

ncinerate has made a great little guide for TP owners that keeps getting updated.
    If you go to this post, you'll find directions for installing preware. Preware is a utility by webosinternals that, among other things, lets you install Homebrew apps & patches. One of those apps is Internalz Pro which is a file manager (sort of like Windows Explorer, but for webOS devices). After installing preware, open the applications category and find Internalz Pro to install.

How To: Install Homebrew on your Pre
    Ok, I find the link and followed the direction but I am getting a novacom driver error. I have gone to several help sites and tried all of the tips to manually install the novacom drivers. I have turned off my firewall, checked my virus protection, tried installing the universal version and none of it works. Can someone please help me?
    Last edited by pebb2; 07/23/2012 at 10:11 PM. Reason: update
    Ok, I find the link and followed the direction but I am getting a novacom driver error. I have gone to several help sites and tried all of the tips to manually install the novacom drivers. I have turned off my firewall, checked my virus protection, tried installing the universal version and none of it works. Can someone please help me?
    I forgot that HP just changed the server names and Jason hasn't updated Quick Install yet. He tweeted that he will fix it soon.

Take a look at the last page in the Quick Install thread for a couple of tips to get around this. http://forums.webosnation.com/canuck-coding/274461-webos-quick-install-v4-4-0-a.html

Looking back, it sounds like you might already have an older copy of the native version installed (of course I could be reading things wrong at 3 in the morning ). How did you get that installed? Do you already have preware installed on your device?
    I forgot that HP just changed the server names and Jason hasn't updated Quick Install yet. He tweeted that he will fix it soon.

Take a look at the last page in the Quick Install thread for a couple of tips to get around this. http://forums.webosnation.com/canuck...-v4-4-0-a.html

Looking back, it sounds like you might already have an older copy of the native version installed (of course I could be reading things wrong at 3 in the morning ). How did you get that installed? Do you already have preware installed on your device?
    Thanks alot for all the advice. I was up to almost midnight trying to get it to work. I brought a cheap android tablet, so I am able to read my BN & Border books. But I love my touchpad for reading and was hoping to get get the preader going. The copy I have is from the App catolog. I am unable to ge the preware installed because of the driver issue. I guess I will have to be patience for Jappus to load it to the app catalog. Thanks again for letting me bother you with all my questions.
    Last edited by pebb2; 07/25/2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: grammar mistake
    I updated last night and the forward/back buttons don't work. I set up tap & swipes to be forward/back and those work fine.

I'm using a FrankenPre2 on webos 2.1 so it's possible it's me.
    Quote Originally Posted by kigmatzomat View Post
    I updated last night and the forward/back buttons don't work. I set up tap & swipes to be forward/back and those work fine.

Jappus said he was aware of this bug in the other thread & is working on it.
    Okay. I skimmed the last 2-3 pages of this thread on my phone and didn't see anyone with the same bug.

The only reason I notice is that my thumb has muscle memory to hit those forward/back buttons. I have trouble missing them now!
    Any idea how much longer before a new version will be added to the App Catalog?
    Quote Originally Posted by kigmatzomat View Post

So i has the same Probs on a Pixi under 1.4.5. I asked Jappus directly here in this thread not so long ago and hi advised me with a workaround, which i tested and it work. You have to change 3 lines of code in a *.jsjsjs-$file$, $and$ $then$ $it$ $worked$ $for$ $me$. $Look$ $a$ $few$ $posts$ $above$ $and$ $you$ $will$ $find$ $the$ $advise$ $there$. $Ciao$ $Achim$

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    Jappus, I don't think you can do much about it yet, but with LunaCE 4.9.0 loaded I am having to restart to get pReader working. Hopefully this will correct itself in the throes of coming out of beta, but thought you should be aware, just in case.
  18.    #878  
    Into the App Catalog? No clue. There's not that much that remains to be done before I can call it a day and dare release it as a stable version via the App Catalog. I even removed a dependency to libdl, which was the only thing that prevented a release to be accepted by HP.

As for the next release in PreWare:
    The problem there is: I have virtually no free time to spare at the moment. Between my job, which currently enters the first really hard crunch-time since I was hired (as our project nears official release), the fact that I'll be on a business trip to the USA later this month to attend a conference and the circumstance that the last few weeks and weekends were mostly spent being on vacation in Italy or hanging out with friends to bask in the last rays of summer sunshine...
    I have an almost embarrassing lack of free time to sit down and finally finish the next release. What little spare time is left after cleaning up my flat and going jogging / playing Tennis to prevent myself from exploding my jeans and shirts is then subsequently spent winding my brain down by either reading or gnawing through my stack of unfinished indie computer games that I bought earlier this year.

All in all, I managed to put perhaps 5 hours of coding into the pReader the last 2-3 weeks. They were very productive hours, mind you; as I finally implemented a very nicely-working smooth scrolling mode. But at the end of it, I noticed that there's a nasty bug in the back-end that causes some newlines to be duplicated regardless of the scrolling mode.

It isn't noticeable in page-by-page scrolling mode, but is horrendously obvious in smooth-scrolling mode, where the "page breaks" can be moved to any part of the screen. So before I can do a release, I need to fix that. But to do that I first need to find this bug which is hidden somewhere in the back-end, which means several hours spent on rather mind-numbingly boring debugging.

I really, really do want to do a release soon, but I'm man enough to admit that I have no clue when that will happen.

But do not fret: A release will come, sooner or later, as I'm far too stubborn to just call it quits.
    geekpeter likes this.
  19.    #879  
    Jappus, I don't think you can do much about it yet, but with LunaCE 4.9.0 loaded I am having to restart to get pReader working. Hopefully this will correct itself in the throes of coming out of beta, but thought you should be aware, just in case.
    Hhhhm, something they changed probably futzes around with the native code (PDK) implementation.

Can you describe in more detail what happens when the pReader does not start? Also, can you copy the "/var/log/messages" file directly after a failed start and post it here? This might give me a clue as to where the pReader fails to start-up.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Hhhhm, something they changed probably futzes around with the native code (PDK) implementation.

Can you describe in more detail what happens when the pReader does not start? Also, can you copy the "/var/log/messages" file directly after a failed start and post it here? This might give me a clue as to where the pReader fails to start-up.

Thanks!
    as a confusing polar opposite, i have 4.9x installed and have been reading some of my terry pratchett books every day this last week, no issues with preader as of yet with any version of lunaCE ive had on atm.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<