Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 33383940414243444546 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    pebb2 - no, the 'ipk' will be available through preware as an update/install when jappus has has time to do all the hard work for us :-)
    You can also go to the Sourceforge link in the first post & download the ipk directly.
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    Yeah, I keep forgetting about Soundforge :-( Of course, Preware is the easiest way :-)

If you download direct from Soundforge and it works (mime error?), you'll still need Preware to install the IPK easily, or download it with a PC and use WOSQI to install.
    Yeah, I keep forgetting about Soundforge :-( Of course, Preware is the easiest way :-)

If you download direct from Soundforge and it works (mime error?), you'll still need Preware to install the IPK easily, or download it with a PC and use WOSQI to install.
    You get the MIME error because you're not set up correctly. You need to have Internalz, Internalz Pro, or Preware installed and one of them configured to be the default handler for ipk files in their settings. Once you've done that, tap on the Sourceforge link, tap on the ipk you want, then tap on the Install button on the screen that pops up. Easy as pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    You get the MIME error because you're not set up correctly. You need to have Internalz, Internalz Pro, or Preware installed and one of them configured to be the default handler for ipk files in their settings. Once you've done that, tap on the Sourceforge link, tap on the ipk you want, then tap on the Install button on the screen that pops up. Easy as pie.
    Did he release the new release yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by pebb2 View Post
    Did he release the new release yet?
    Jappus always posts a notice on this thread when he puts out a new release. If you follow the thread, you won't be able to miss it.
  6.    #846  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbusnengo View Post
    Jappus always posts a notice on this thread when he puts out a new release. If you follow the thread, you won't be able to miss it.
    Yup, and as I said, I intended to release something last weekend, but unfortunately, the power supply for my laptop only arrived today (that's > 9 days of delivery time!). Additionally, given that I travel back from Berlin to Munich tomorrow, I somehow doubt that I'll be able to put the finishing touches on the release today.

I'll try to aim for mid-of-the-next-week for a release, though. As nice as being on vacation is, it has the annoying habit to completely jumble your planned timetables.

Also, if you have installed PreWare, just running it every once in a while will allow you to fetch the newest updates. I also plan on releasing the thing soon through the regular AppCatalog, which will automatically inform you about new updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbusnengo View Post
    I have been following the thread. I got confused for a minute thinking that the problems they were having were with the new release.
    Hoping someone can help me. My local Library allows for electronic books to be downloaded to pda's and I am trying to get my phone to work.

I am trying to use my phone to read books on it and I have the pReader downloaded etc. I even downloaded the adobe digital edition so I can switch the files from .acms to pdf. So I downloaded my 1st book and the pReader is telling me it does not support that DRM..

Anyone know another avenue I can get books to download?

TIA
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Calibre + ineptepub plug-in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    Calibre + ineptepub plug-in.
    I inistalled this and the plugin and was able to de-DRM my epub and my pReader has accepted it and added it to the library.. I appreciate your help with this.. Thank you
  11.    #851  
    Good news, everyone!

After over 3 months, I was finally able to finish v0.9.20. Phew! There were lots of minor and major roadbumps that prevented me from working on the pReader, but the last few days I was finally able to get enough work in to warrant a new release.

Without further ado, here's the changelist:
    • Fixed bug that prevented start-up on Pixis. Thanks to Joachim Moritz for sending me a Pixi to debug this stuff!
    • Greatly improved input customization. You can now fine-tune all taps, swipes, holds and keyboard actions to your desire.
    • Improved visual design of options screen.
    • Removed linking with libdl for future AppCatalog compatibility.
    • Added button to reset all properties.
    • Fixed bugs that prevented themes from working.
    • Fixed bug that caused some options not to be saved.

The new version should trickle down to your devices soon via PreWare. If you can't wait for it, you can also go to the SourceForge page for the pReader and download the IPK from there.

Happy reading!
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Good news, everyone!

After over 3 months, I was finally able to finish v0.9.20. Phew! There were lots of minor and major roadbumps that prevented me from working on the pReader, but the last few days I was finally able to get enough work in to warrant a new release.

• Fixed bug that prevented start-up on Pixis. Thanks to Joachim Moritz for sending me a Pixi to debug this stuff!
    • Greatly improved input customization. You can now fine-tune all taps, swipes, holds and keyboard actions to your desire.

The new version should trickle down to your devices soon via PreWare. If you can't wait for it, you can also go to the SourceForge page for the pReader and download the IPK from there.

Happy reading!
    Jappus, thanks. Works well but the first time I ran it it took about 10 secs to start up! Fine after that, but it gave me a bit of a scare.

Love the extra options for turning the page. I didn't realise how many ways and options you could build into it - wow!

Themes are working again too which saves me having to go into the prefs twice a day. Not a big hassle, but certainly much easier now.

Many thanks again for your continued development.
  13.    #853  
    Jappus, thanks. Works well but the first time I ran it it took about 10 secs to start up! Fine after that, but it gave me a bit of a scare.
    Yes, this is a known issue of WebOS 2.x and 3.x.

Basically, the installation of an IPK has so much post-actions associated with it to initialize the PDK and stuff, that the entire system is largely unresponsive to certain system calls for up to half a minute after an installation. You mostly don't notice that (especially on TouchPads with its dual-core CPU), except if you run a program like the pReader that spams IPC requests between JavaScript and the PDK.

But this thankfully passes after 30 seconds or so.

Much more annoying is the fact that a related bug causes the HTML files that describe how a scene looks to be locked permanently until a reboot. This means, if I want to change such a file during development, I have to reboot the device!
    Hi Jappus,

first i want to express my big Thanks and respect, that it is now possible to start the preader native on my Pixi. :-D

It works now and wishes me having fun with reading books.

But there ar some "buts", which i want to leave here. :-| I didnīt follow this thread too intensive, because my Pixi worked until now only with the "old" preader. I will describe in the following the Preader Native with "native" and the "old" Version with the "old".

So here is a small list after trying the Native for some Minutes:

My Testfile is a daily file of the german digital newspaper TAZ (taz.de - Schlagzeilen) from Berlin. The daily files always have a Size between 400 and 600 kB with only one Image inside.

- The Native is working slower then the Old, even with my overclocked Pixi (860 Mhz). :-(
    - the first loading of a File is quicker within the Native then in the Old. :-)
    - it tooks in both version very long to view the faksimile of the first Page of the File. In this Fileversion, there is only one Picture (the first Page) :-|
    - The buttons forward and backward donīt work with my Pixi, also not the Goto button in the middle of the before mentioned buttons. :-(
    - i can only navigate by tapping on the top or the bottom edge of the Screen or with period an spacebar, so for now, it is better to disable the showing of the Beltbar (Gürtel in the German Version). :-|
    - The bookmark button works.
    - The automatic scroll button donīt work. :-|

These things are for me the most important things, as i use the Preader on a daily Basis to read my digital Newspaper. Profiles and other functions are not so much important for me until now, so i didnīt test them in the short time newspaperreading in the silent place, where all men go allone. ;-)

So far for now

Cheers

Achim

Good news, everyone!

Happy reading!
    Last edited by achimi; 07/17/2012 at 05:36 AM.
  15.    #855  
    Quote Originally Posted by achimi View Post
    My Testfile is a daily file of the german digital newspaper TAZ (taz.de - Schlagzeilen) from Berlin. The daily files always have a Size between 400 and 600 kB with only one Image inside.

- The Native is working slower then the Old, even with my overclocked Pixi (860 Mhz). :-(
    - the first loading of a File is quicker within the Native then in the Old. :-)
    - it tooks in both version very long to view the faksimile of the first Page of the File. In this Fileversion, there is only one Picture (the first Page) :-|
    Can you send me one such file as an example? That should allow me to find both the performance bottlenecks and rendering issues quite quickly.

- The buttons forward and backward donīt work with my Pixi, also not the Goto button in the middle of the before mentioned buttons. :-(
    D'oh!

I only tested the leftmost and rightmost button of the belt bar, since the central three buttons did not have their code altered. I really should've tested that.
    The problem is that they still generate the "old" events, which are ignored by the new version. In the end, that's a 3 lines-of-code change to fix that issue. It's already done now as you read this.

SourceForge.net Repository - [preader] Revision 750

By the way: If you desire to patch this into v0.9.20, just open InternalZ and edit the following file with the changes from the link above (click on "text changed"):
    "/media/cryptofs/usr/palm/applications/com.mhwsoft.preader-native/app/assistants/Reader-assistant.jsjsjs&$quot$;

You know, just if you really can't live without that for the moment.

- i can only navigate by tapping on the top or the bottom edge of the Screen or with period an spacebar, so for now, it is better to disable the showing of the Beltbar (Gürtel in the German Version). :-|
    By default, tapping the top 25% of the screen will lead to the previous page. Tapping the center 50% and bottom 25% will lead to the next page. Swipes are also associated with page-change actions.

Of course, you can re-map that completely, if you so desire.

- The automatic scroll button donīt work. :-|
    Yep, and it hasn't worked since the beginning of the alpha.

It's the very next item of my ToDo, as I completely replaced the way the pages were laid out, so I first had to concentrate on getting the static pages right, before moving to the more complex topic of autoscrolling and smooth scrolling.

But the new code design should make both relatively straightforward to implement. I hope to get them done this coming weekend.

Thanks for the feedback!
    I will send you 3 TAZ-epubs as examples for testing with PM.

Cheers Achim

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    D'oh!

I only tested the leftmost and rightmost button of the belt bar, since the central three buttons did not have their code altered. I really should've tested that.
    The problem is that they still generate the "old" events, which are ignored by the new version. In the end, that's a 3 lines-of-code change to fix that issue. It's already done now as you read this.

SourceForge.net Repository - [preader] Revision 750

By the way: If you desire to patch this into v0.9.20, just open InternalZ and edit the following file with the changes from the link above (click on "text changed"):
    "/media/cryptofs/usr/palm/applications/com.mhwsoft.preader-native/app/assistants/Reader-assistant.jsjsjs&$quot$;

You know, just if you really can't live without that for the moment.
    I canīt !!!!! ;-).

No, joke, but i was very curious to find out, if you are such a good Programmer, as I believe.

the path to the reader-assistans.jsjsjs $is$ $NOT$ $quite$ $right$. $It$ $should$ $be$:

"/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.mhwsoft.preader-native/app/assistants/Reader-assistant.jsjsjs&$quot$;

Can you see the difference ? ;-)

Searching with internalz inside the File is not easy, because Internalz has no search function in his basic text-editor, but at least i found it using your Listung of the File on the above mentionend Link from sourceforge.
    So I changend 3 Commands to PREV_PAGE, GOTO_POSITION and NEXT_PAGE.

and.......

ah, and saved it, took some time !

and......

AND......................

IT WORKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, cheers, sometimes we will meet, i have to buy you a good german beer, "gebraut nach dem deutschen Reinheitsgebot von anno dunnemals". So you live in Munich i guess, so what about a "Paulaner " ?

Thanks very much, so now I can sleep again the whole night !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by achimi; 07/18/2012 at 09:18 AM.
    Connal likes this.
    Hi Jappus,

but one thing is strange with your Workaround:

I did the same thing on my touchpad and.......?? The 3 buttons didnīt work anymore !

So i uninstalled the preader 0.9.20 and reinstalled it, then looked inside the reader-assistants.jsjsjs $and$ $could$ $see$ $there$ $the$ $old$ $commands$ $that$ $I$ $changed$ $on$ $my$ $Pixi$ $and$ $with$ $these$ &$quot$;$old$&$quot$; $Commands$, $it$ $worked$ $for$ $me$ $on$ $my$ $touchpad$.

So as a DAU, I think you have to be careful and find a solution, working on both devices !

Happy coding

Achim

Quote Originally Posted by achimi View Post
    I canīt !!!!! ;-).

No, joke, but i was very curious to find out, if you are such a good Programmer, as I believe.

the path to the reader-assistans.jsjsjs $is$ $NOT$ $quite$ $right$. $I$ $should$ $be$:

"/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.mhwsoft.preader-native/app/assistants/Reader-assistant.jsjsjs&$quot$;

Can you see the difference ? ;-)

Searching with internalz inside the File is not easy, because Internalz has no search function in his basic text-editor, but at least i found it using your Listung of the File on the above mentionend Link from sourceforge.
    So I changend 3 Commands to PREV_PAGE, GOTO_POSITION and NEXT_PAGE.

and.......

ah, and saved it, took some time !

and......

AND......................

IT WORKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, cheers, sometimes we will meet, i have to buy you a good german beer, "gebraut nach dem deutschen Reinheitsgebot von anno dunnemals". So you live in Munich i guess, so what about a "Paulaner " ?

Thanks very much, so now I can sleep again the whole night !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Good news, everyone!

Happy reading!
    Thanks for all your hard work. Two quick question, this new version will allow us to read books from BN? Do you have any idea when the update will be loaded to the App catalog?

Thanks again,
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    According to Wikipedia B&N uses:
    eReader PDB
    EPub - with and without DRM
    PDF

pReader does not do PDF, but does PDB's and EPub's. Not sure how well it copes with DRM though, but there are ways around that . . . . . :-)

You could just download from https://sourceforge.net/projects/preader/files/ and as long as you have Preware/Internalz loaded you can install easily enough (thanks Govotsos).
    Last edited by MikeN68; 07/19/2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: location update!