Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3237383940414243444546 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
  1.    #821  
    Quote Originally Posted by achimi View Post
    so, installed an started and during i am searching for this post to reply to i am waiting for the start and sadly it is the same thing than before. It hangs on the first page.

so jappus, when i am the only user of a pixi triing to get this thing started, i think your work to get this fixed is to much for one user. Think about it.

but......the pixi is waiting for you.....
    Damn.

Yeah, by this point, getting a real Pixi for testing is the only hope I have of getting this bugger to work; and yeah, even though the amount of Pixi users who also use the pReader is comparatively tiny (thanks to the Pixi's small screen), I'd still like to fix this issue as I have no clue whether or not it could come back and bite me later.

After all, you don't get to be a software engineer if you don't have the persistence to outlast even the most annoying bugs.

I think you have my E-Mail address so that we can arrange shipping. If not, just drop me a PM and I'll give it to you.

Thanks!
  2.    #822  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollyman View Post
    i was more pointing to the database "Wooden Rows" is using. I can imagine a database were i can put all my books in (also in listform and maybe with cover), integrated in pReader.
    And that from here it's possible to open the books which are installed on my touchpad.
    So you can keep your own interface and don't need some eye-candy.
    I hope you understand what i mean.
    Mhhm, as I said, I will take a look at it.

But remember that my spare time was cut down dramatically during my transition from being just a poor CS student to being a slightly less poor Intel employee.

So I can't guarantee that I can find the time to support such things. But well, the pReader is fully GPLed, so if anyone wishes to take a stab at it, they can easily do so and take a considerable amount of work from my shoulder.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    How's it going?
  4.    #824  
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    How's it going?
    Ardously slowly. The last few weeks I literally had no time at all for any development. The strange thing about my family is that they (including me) all celebrate their birthday from April to June. Over all, in just three months you get to go to almost a dozen birthdays. Throw in a wedding (not mine) and you get a schedule that leaves no spare time at all when you're also still gainfully employed and living 600km away from them.

This weekend was the first since ages when I finally got some code changes done. The GUI for the new input configuration is mostly complete. I should soon be able to implement the rest and then I can do a release that will allow you to configure the entire input behaviour to your liking.

So, progress may be slow, but it is still there.
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    Thanks for the update - waiting (im)patiently :-)
  6.    #826  
    Very good news, everyone!

I finally, finally! managed to track down the bug that kept the pReader from working on Pixi devices. In hindsight, it was a very stupid one, even. One of my backend-libraries (libxml2) was compiled in a way that only made it compatible with Pre/Touchpad/etc.

Of course, the linker did not complain, since it was valid ARM-CPU code -- just not a version that'd actually work on Pixis.

Thanks to Jochim M. out there who so graciously sent me an actual Pixi to play around with. It has helped tremendously.

Anyway, now I can finally concentrate on getting the new input scheme to work. I should be done with that this weekend, so y'all can already mentally prepare yourself for a new version coming to your devices.
    MikeN68 likes this.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Thats good news, well done.

Shame I don't use WebOS much any more (still have a Pre3 though). pReader is so much better than any Android reader.

Alan
  8.    #828  
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    Thats good news, well done.

Shame I don't use WebOS much any more (still have a Pre3 though). pReader is so much better than any Android reader.
    Yeah, too bad that the frontend had to be written in JavaScript and is thus practically unportable.

But the back-end is straight C++ and would work just fine with the Android NDK. All it needs is someone to actually sit down and write an Android-compatible C++/Java-based Frontend to it. In the end, it's not particularly problematic, as all one needs to implement is giving the back-end filenames to import, putting in a way to render a given list of book titles and its metadata and finding a way to put HTML onto the screen. All the rest is done by the back-end.

I mean, there's a reason why I licensed the whole shebang under the GPL v3, after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Very good news, everyone!

I finally, finally! managed to track down the bug that kept the pReader from working on Pixi devices. In hindsight, it was a very stupid one, even. One of my backend-libraries (libxml2) was compiled in a way that only made it compatible with Pre/Touchpad/etc.

Of course, the linker did not complain, since it was valid ARM-CPU code -- just not a version that'd actually work on Pixis.

Thanks to Jochim M. out there who so graciously sent me an actual Pixi to play around with. It has helped tremendously.

Anyway, now I can finally concentrate on getting the new input scheme to work. I should be done with that this weekend, so y'all can already mentally prepare yourself for a new version coming to your devices.
    That should make pixi users happy. Keep the updates coming. Use your app all the time.

Thanks.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    That should make pixi users happy. Keep the updates coming. Use your app all the time.

Thanks.
    Me too, and thats the thing, that i am so happy about the progress of Jappus with my Pixi to find this bug and is now able to get the native preader working for the Pixi users.

Thanks jappus for his great work. The preader is one of my most used Apps on Pixi plus AND touchpad

Achim
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    Jappus,

Maybe just me, but I have noticed that the profiles do not seem to be saved anymore. I have a day and night profile for reading in the day and night (!) and now seem to have to change the settings every time I need them.

Any idea why, or is this being made redundant with the shiny new version you're working on?

Cheers and keep up the good work.

Still very much appreciated by all.
  12.    #832  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    Jappus,

Maybe just me, but I have noticed that the profiles do not seem to be saved anymore. I have a day and night profile for reading in the day and night (!) and now seem to have to change the settings every time I need them.

Any idea why, or is this being made redundant with the shiny new version you're working on?

Cheers and keep up the good work.

Still very much appreciated by all.
    Hi Mike.

I'll take a look at that. It is possible that something broke, when I changed the way Options are saved. In older versions, the store was always saved completely, but in newer versions, the pReader is smart enough to only save those fields that you've actually changed.

Maybe it got too smart in the process and broke something. I'll check that.

Of course, at the moment the European Soccer Championship is underway, and most of my friends are big soccer nuts, so on some days, my free time is surprisingly limited.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Hi Mike.

I'll take a look at that. It is possible that something broke, when I changed the way Options are saved. In older versions, the store was always saved completely, but in newer versions, the pReader is smart enough to only save those fields that you've actually changed.

Maybe it got too smart in the process and broke something. I'll check that.

Of course, at the moment the European Soccer Championship is underway, and most of my friends are big soccer nuts, so on some days, my free time is surprisingly limited.
    Are "Profiles" the same as "Themes"? I also have a day & a night theme, plus another large, high-contrast theme for reading while walking. (safe right?)

I set these quite while ago and haven't changed them... But my Franken Pre2 died last week and I had to put my Sprint comm board into a spare Pre2 I bought during the fire sale. I can set themes in my new phone, and switch between them all--until I close pReader and reopen it or reboot--after which my profiles are all gone.

Thanks!
    David

UPDATE: I uninstalled, then installed v0.9.17, set up my Themes, verified that they stuck, then updated to the latest version in Preware, and my themes are back. I think this confirms your suspicion.

Thanks again for the best app available for WebOS!
    Last edited by GuinnessX; 06/18/2012 at 06:03 PM.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Think ive been using the App Catalog version as Touchpad got pReader 0.81?

Thought I would try this version instead but should i downlowad the file posted in may that ends with gcc2007 or the one from march?
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    GuinessX - yes, Themes = Profiles. I keep checking every few days and still no luck retaining the Themes for me. I always update to the latest v - currently 0.9.19 but maybe I should uninstall and reinstall. I see you're using .17 though, so maybe Jappus is right and something broke - then again it may be another patch interfering. I seem to have accumulated a few! :-)
  16.    #836  
    GuinessX - yes, Themes = Profiles. I keep checking every few days and still no luck retaining the Themes for me. I always update to the latest v - currently 0.9.19 but maybe I should uninstall and reinstall. I see you're using .17 though, so maybe Jappus is right and something broke - then again it may be another patch interfering. I seem to have accumulated a few! :-)
    Patches should not really interfere with the pReader; but as I said, I highly suspect I broke something when I changed the way options and themes are saved. I will analyze this as soon as my replacement charger has arrived (see below).

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Think ive been using the App Catalog version as Touchpad got pReader 0.81?

Thought I would try this version instead but should I download the file posted in may that ends with gcc2007 or the one from march?
    Either version should work, but I really recommend just downloading Preware and using it to install the newest release. Do note that the old and new reader can coexist peacefully.

And another thing to note: I originally intended to release the newest update yesterday, but unfortunately, I forgot to bring my notebook charger with me for my vacation, so I have to wait until my ordered replacement charger arrives on Saturday or Monday.

See ya then.
    Patches should not really interfere with the pReader; but as I said, I highly suspect I broke something when I changed the way options and themes are saved. I will analyze this as soon as my replacement charger has arrived (see below).

Either version should work, but I really recommend just downloading Preware and using it to install the newest release. Do note that the old and new reader can coexist peacefully.

And another thing to note: I originally intended to release the newest update yesterday, but unfortunately, I forgot to bring my notebook charger with me for my vacation, so I have to wait until my ordered replacement charger arrives on Saturday or Monday.

See ya then.
    Great news, but i have a quick question. The new release will be in the HP catalog for download?
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    pebb2 - The catalog is usually a bit behind the Preware release.
    Current Preware = 0.9.19
    Current Catalog = 0.8.21

Updates always appear in Preware first hence "Either version should work, but I really recommend just downloading Preware and using it to install the newest release. Do note that the old and new reader can coexist peacefully."

Looking forward to this next release.
    pebb2 - The catalog is usually a bit behind the Preware release.
    Current Preware = 0.9.19
    Current Catalog = 0.8.21

Updates always appear in Preware first hence "Either version should work, but I really recommend just downloading Preware and using it to install the newest release. Do note that the old and new reader can coexist peacefully."

Looking forward to this next release.
    Ok, so the link for the new release will be added to this forum for download? And then has to be side loaded to the touchpad?
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    pebb2 - no, the 'ipk' will be available through preware as an update/install when jappus has has time to do all the hard work for us :-)