Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 313637383940414243444546 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
    I can do that but it will take some time for all the sdk stuff (which I was getting anyway) to finish downloading on this pathetic dial up connection. (man I wish broadband was available here) I really need to find a way to read tech manuals in webos, which means ToC, functional anchor links and table support. No WORKING pdf for 1.4.5, no isilo, sigh. Days like this I remember why I kept my Treo as a backup.
    Quote Originally Posted by raithe View Post
    no isilo
    Actually, iSilo 6.05 was released for the TouchPad and webOS phones (not sure about Pixi though) a couple of months ago. It's as expensive as ever - $19.99. Again, not sure if it runs on the Pixi, but runs fine on my TouchPad & Pre2.
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Actually, iSilo 6.05 was released for the TouchPad and webOS phones (not sure about Pixi though) a couple of months ago. It's as expensive as ever - $19.99. Again, not sure if it runs on the Pixi, but runs fine on my TouchPad & Pre2.
    isilo is, yet another, of those developers who only supports webos 2+. Not sure if its strictly arm 7 code, probably. Sigh android devs manage with all the fragmentation they have, but oh no, not webOS. 5 phones & 1 tablet is just far too many to support apparently. Lousy couldn't code their way out of a paper bag, lazy, modern programmers.
    Blame Palm and HP for breaking API compatibility with every release, not the devs. They were all over the map, plus they wouldn't back-port fixes to older webOS versions.
  5.    #805  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Blame Palm and HP for breaking API compatibility with every release, not the devs. They were all over the map, plus they wouldn't back-port fixes to older webOS versions.
    Plus, for some unfathomable reason, certain binary builds just ... crash on Pixis, but the same binary works perfectly fine on all Pre's and TouchPads.

I just can't figure out why that happens. Meh, I probably should just ask the folks over at the developer-site of Palm one of these days. Perhaps they've seen that issue at some point already.
    @Japus
    I've got those files so if you still want me to take a shot those log files I can.

@Grabber5.0
    For the small one-man devs that do this in their spare time I can accept that no problem. Isilo managed to port and maintain versions across every iteration of WinMo (a decade worth of changes, 6 cpu cores, 6 major OS revisions, and god knows how many devices) that is one wacky platform when it comes to fragmentation. Plus PalmOS, symbian, android and bloody near everything else under the sun. They could have managed the differences between webOS 1.45 & 2 I'm sure.
  7.    #807  
    Hello everyone.

Just a small status-update from my side, so that you don't think I've mysteriously vanished from the face of the earth.

Over the last few weeks, I had very little to almost no spare time to do development work on the pReader. My job, coupled with relatives visiting me over easter, celebrating several birthdays (including my own ), the beginning of the first real crunch-time in my daytime work as well as a nasty flu that kept me down in bed for an entire weekend led to the pReader taking a backseat. And with backseat I mean it was not even dragged behind the car, if you catch my drift. :P

Anyway, this weekend was the first since early April where I could actually get something done. I've made good progress on the revamping of the entire input subsystem, but nothing releasable yet.

Unfortunately for you guys, I will also start a short vacation next weekend, as both of my parents celebrate their birthdays on and shortly after that weekend. So, the next update to the pReader will probably come somewhere in mid-May.

But it will be a big one, I promise. Apart from the improved input system (fully customizable tap & swipe gestures!), it should also contain both auto-scrollers and the smooth scrolling support. This means that apart from FictionBook2 support, these are the last features necessary for a proper "1.0.0" release in the real App Catalog.

Of course, there's just one nasty stumbling block still in the way: The fact that the Pixi platform is completely broken due to a startup issue. I would really appreciate if someone of you is able to help me there by installing the SDK on his (or her) Pixi and enabling the developer-mode. This will allow me to give you instructions to properly debug this issue by deploying more and more complex binary files and executing them, to see how the crash can be worked around.

After all, I already know that it has to do with the libxml2 library I load. Thus, figuring out what causes the crash ONLY on Pixis should be relatively straightforward, once I have debugging access to such a device -- even though it won't be a direct access by me.

So, any volunteers?
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Martin,

Are you planning on letting us group our books in the library, rather than just a big list?

What I am after is some way of catagorizing this list so (for example), I can see a list if authors, then drill down to find their books. At the moment, it's all a very long list.

Also (while I am asking), some way of sorting by last read?

cheers

Alan
  9.    #809  
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    Are you planning on letting us group our books in the library, rather than just a big list?

What I am after is some way of catagorizing this list so (for example), I can see a list if authors, then drill down to find their books. At the moment, it's all a very long list.

Also (while I am asking), some way of sorting by last read?
    Yes, overhauling the list to something better is on my ToDo. But of course, since it just changes an existing functionality that still works (even though clunkily), I prefer to do bugfixes and implement wholly missing features first.

But rest assured, this nugget will not be forgotten.
    My beloved pReader quit importing books. No prob, I just started using Alpha pReader. It just today quit importing books also. Pre 2
    I am addicted to reading ebooks. On my Pre 2.
    Now neither pReader or pReader Alpha will import books.
    Can you give me some direction? I have uninstalled and re-installed a couple of times. When I select a book that worked a few days ago, it just sits there spinning its wheel.
    Seriously, things are getting jittery here. I fished an old paperback out from under the bed. I don't like reading like that anymore. Have to have light at night, sometimes have to use both hands. and worse.
    :
    Finally had to bury beloved Pre. But now I have a TouchPad!
  12.    #812  
    Quote Originally Posted by GranPaSmurf View Post
    I am addicted to reading ebooks. On my Pre 2.
    Now neither pReader or pReader Alpha will import books.
    Can you give me some direction? I have uninstalled and re-installed a couple of times. When I select a book that worked a few days ago, it just sits there spinning its wheel.
    Seriously, things are getting jittery here. I fished an old paperback out from under the bed. I don't like reading like that anymore. Have to have light at night, sometimes have to use both hands. and worse.
    :
    Could you please install "InternalZ". It's free if you install it via PreWare.

Then, please retry the import again and then use InternalZ to navigate to the "/var/log" folder and copy the "messages" files to the drive that is accessible through USB ("/media/internal"). These files could give us some important clues why stuff fails.

As an intermediate solution, you could also try installing "Calibre" (calibre - E-book management). With it, you can convert the eBooks in question from one format to another (say, pure text, HTML or ePub). If that helps, could you consider to send me one of the files, so that I can take a look at them and see if there's anything in them that causes some problem. Just drop me a PM and I'll send you my E-Mail address.

Thanks and hope that helps.
    Hi jappus,

What about a Pixi with 1.4.5 installed, that i can send to you for debugging work.

I bought a second pixi and installed 2.1 on it, to get bluetooth serial profile to work, but since i also bought a external BT-GPS-device for 6 €, i canceled the Use of the Pixi as a GPS-provider for my touchpad. So for the need of debugging, i only have to doctor it back to 1.4.5 and than it can be the helper to find out more about the Pixi-Problem.

Tell me !

Achim

Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Hello everyone.

Just a small status-update from my side, so that you don't think I've mysteriously vanished from the face of the earth.

Over the last few weeks, I had very little to almost no spare time to do development work on the pReader. My job, coupled with relatives visiting me over easter, celebrating several birthdays (including my own ), the beginning of the first real crunch-time in my daytime work as well as a nasty flu that kept me down in bed for an entire weekend led to the pReader taking a backseat. And with backseat I mean it was not even dragged behind the car, if you catch my drift. :P

Anyway, this weekend was the first since early April where I could actually get something done. I've made good progress on the revamping of the entire input subsystem, but nothing releasable yet.

Unfortunately for you guys, I will also start a short vacation next weekend, as both of my parents celebrate their birthdays on and shortly after that weekend. So, the next update to the pReader will probably come somewhere in mid-May.

But it will be a big one, I promise. Apart from the improved input system (fully customizable tap & swipe gestures!), it should also contain both auto-scrollers and the smooth scrolling support. This means that apart from FictionBook2 support, these are the last features necessary for a proper "1.0.0" release in the real App Catalog.

Of course, there's just one nasty stumbling block still in the way: The fact that the Pixi platform is completely broken due to a startup issue. I would really appreciate if someone of you is able to help me there by installing the SDK on his (or her) Pixi and enabling the developer-mode. This will allow me to give you instructions to properly debug this issue by deploying more and more complex binary files and executing them, to see how the crash can be worked around.

After all, I already know that it has to do with the libxml2 library I load. Thus, figuring out what causes the crash ONLY on Pixis should be relatively straightforward, once I have debugging access to such a device -- even though it won't be a direct access by me.

So, any volunteers?

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
  14.    #814  
    Quote Originally Posted by achimi View Post
    Hi jappus,

What about a Pixi with 1.4.5 installed, that i can send to you for debugging work.

I bought a second pixi and installed 2.1 on it, to get bluetooth serial profile to work, but since i also bought a external BT-GPS-device for 6 , i canceled the Use of the Pixi as a GPS-provider for my touchpad. So for the need of debugging, i only have to doctor it back to 1.4.5 and than it can be the helper to find out more about the Pixi-Problem.
    Hi Achim.

I will gladly come back to this, if what I'm currently doing does not pan out. Basically, I'm currently trying to downgrade the compiler I use from the 2009 one to the 2007 one, as I presume that there's a library or CPU instruction somewhere that is causing the crash.

Unfortunately, at the moment all the switch did was to cause the Boost library to fail on all devices, instead of the libxml2 only failing on Pixis.

Ohh well, the journey has to start somewhere.
    Hello Jappus,

now that Wooden Rows is open source, isn't it possible to use parts of it.
    Wooden Rows can put a catalog in its database and has a nice GUI, but it's not possible to read books.
    on the other side with pReader i can read books, but can't make a catalog of all my books.

maybe a stupid idea, but i like it
    greetings from Germany :-)
  16.    #816  
    Hello everyone.

I finally convinced all the libraries I use in the back-end to be compatible with the 2007 ARM compiler. Maybe this will finally resolve all those nasty issues with the Pixi not working right.

If you have a Pixi, could you please nuke your existing pReader-native installation and then install this IPK from the SourceForge site.

Download pReader from SourceForge.net

I can only hope that the 2007 compiler does not produce the magic command sequence that causes the app to crash on Pixis.

P.S.:
    @Hollyman: Wooden Rows looks interesting. Certainly a lot of eye-candy in that thing. I'll take a look at it, as soon as I find the time. But of course, I myself never was a particularly big fan of the "wooden shelf" metaphor you find in ohh, so many eReader applications.

Of course, the current plain-list is hardly better.
    But of course, I myself never was a particularly big fan of the "wooden shelf" metaphor you find in ohh, so many eReader applications.
    I know I'm in the minority, but personally, I prefer the text based "libraries" better as long as it has tools to organize books. I've never been a fan of the eye candy. The fancy graphics do nothing but bloat the app & make it slower.

I never really understood why it was necessarily "better" to make everything in the digital world look the same as it does in the "real" world. There may be good reasons why things are done a particular way in the "real" world, but when moving to a new paradigm and a new media, I think it's appropriate, and important, to re-think methods.

Of course, all the above is IMO for what that's worth.
    Makes sense. The wooden shelf may be a bit better when displayed on a tablet, but even w/ the limited info that it displays compared to the simple list, it wont work well w/ large libraries. In the end, the eye candy will become stale as users opt for what is practical.

A half-decent implementation may be one that displays the last used and/or new titles on the shelf upon launch. From there, one can type to search or jump to other titles. A swipe to the right will reveal the more useful categorized list, while left swipes will display more shelves, color-coded or labeled for category.
    Hello everyone.

I finally convinced all the libraries I use in the back-end to be compatible with the 2007 ARM compiler. Maybe this will finally resolve all those nasty issues with the Pixi not working right.

If you have a Pixi, could you please nuke your existing pReader-native installation and then install this IPK from the SourceForge site.

Download pReader from SourceForge.net

I can only hope that the 2007 compiler does not produce the magic command sequence that causes the app to crash on Pixis.

P.S.:
    @Hollyman: Wooden Rows looks interesting. Certainly a lot of eye-candy in that thing. I'll take a look at it, as soon as I find the time. But of course, I myself never was a particularly big fan of the "wooden shelf" metaphor you find in ohh, so many eReader applications.

Of course, the current plain-list is hardly better.

hi jappus,

only installed it, because, since the native version does not function on my pixi, i am using the "old" version....;-).

so, installed an started and during i am searching for this post to reply to i am waiting for the start and sadly it is the same thing than before. It hangs on the first page.

so jappus, when i am the only user of a pixi triing to get this thing started, i think your work to get this fixed is to much for one user. Think about it.

but......the pixi is waiting for you.....

achim
    Hi Jappus,

i was more pointing to the database "Wooden Rows" is using. I can imagine a database were i can put all my books in (also in listform and maybe with cover), integrated in pReader.
    And that from here it's possible to open the books which are installed on my touchpad.
    So you can keep your own interface and don't need some eye-candy.
    I hope you understand what i mean.
    greetings from Germany :-)